Shoutbox

laptop - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: laptop (/showthread.php?tid=53861)

laptop by [MR] on 12-12-2005 at 10:37 PM

i just got a laptop for free from my friend and its an epson action note 890CX.  i has no OS and only have a 3 & 1/2 floppy drive ...no cd drive...so do yall know of any os that has an install that will fit on floppy disks that are free?

RE: laptop by segosa on 12-12-2005 at 10:42 PM

LMOS

RE: laptop by Negro_Joe on 12-12-2005 at 10:44 PM

..:s

im sure one of the first windows OS's would fit on a floppy..:P

other than that i have no idea...:S

RE: laptop by Chris4 on 12-12-2005 at 10:44 PM

quote:
Originally posted by MR_5_MR
so do yall know of any os that has an install that will fit on floppy disks that are free?
I don't understand...?

You want an OS that will fit on a floppy disk, thats free?
1. No OS fits on a floppy disk, that I know of.
2. OS don't come free, that I know of.

quote:
Originally posted by segosa
LMOS
Edit: Or that.. lol
RE: laptop by [MR] on 12-12-2005 at 10:49 PM

i mean the install of the os is on a floppy or 2...how have u never heard of a floppy sized os...there are alot of open sourse os's that are small but im having problems with them

RE: laptop by ShawnZ on 12-12-2005 at 10:50 PM

quote:
i mean the install of the os is on a floppy or 2...how have u never heard of a floppy sized os...there are alot of open sourse os's that are small but im having problems with them

http://www.google.ca/search?q=FLOPPY+DISK+LINUX&s...a:en-US:unofficial

FLOPPY DISK LINUX ON GOOGLE FIRST RESULT
RE: laptop by [MR] on 12-12-2005 at 10:53 PM

quote:
Originally posted by ShawnZ
FLOPPY DISK LINUX ON GOOGLE FIRST RESULT
i searched on google before posting here :dodgy: but i ouldnt find anything but thanks anyways
RE: laptop by Concord Dawn on 12-13-2005 at 12:17 AM

Lots of Linux flavours are free and some come on floppies.

RE: laptop by Voldemort on 12-13-2005 at 12:30 AM

isnt it easier to take the hdd and put it in a lap or pc and copy windows files?

RE: laptop by Concord Dawn on 12-13-2005 at 12:33 AM

quote:
Originally posted by damm-o
isnt it easier to take the hdd and put it in a lap or pc and copy windows files?

Why in HELL would you COPY the Windows files? Use an install CD, you're much more likely to have a working Windows copy at the end of it.
RE: laptop by Voldemort on 12-13-2005 at 12:45 AM

my mistake
put it iin another lap with cd
and install it with the cd :S

RE: laptop by linx05 on 12-13-2005 at 11:01 AM

Found this site while doing an assignment when I was at school. Has a huge list of operating system alternatives: http://www.fuckmicrosoft.com. Maybe you've heard of it?

RE: laptop by [MR] on 12-13-2005 at 11:34 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Concord Dawn
quote:

Why in HELL would you COPY the Windows files? Use an install CD, you're much more likely to have a working Windows copy at the end of it.
quote:
remember in my first post i said that it has no cd drive... and just to let you know that a laptop's HDD has a different connector and a PC HDD is differnt too...  so i couldnt put a laptop HDD in a pc.

well yesterday i opened the laptop up discovering 2 HDDs in it...i noticed that one of them wasnt plugged in correctly...so i pluged it in and then turned the laptop on and it booted 95.  so that solves the problem of an operating system but thanks anyways to those who gave me links coz i might use them anyways.  i do have an external cd rom drive but it can only connect through the printer port (LTP or LPT cant remember the exact name)  but i need drivers for it ...well i have drivers but they are for macs but it is on a floppy but windows wouldnt recognize it anyways coz its in mac format...it has no usb port so i was wondering if there was a laptop card that had usb ports on it...but i can search for that later...it runs fast with windows 95 but has a sucky processor and amnt of ram.  100mhz and 20 mb ram :P  i think it is one of the original versions of 95 coz it has alot of windows 3.1 stuff still in it and windows 3.1 icons and such.  the computer says that it has a rechargeable battery but it really isnt so i have to have the battery plugged in the wall for it to have power...it has a sound card but windows lost a compatable driver for it and i have no idea what kind of sound card it is. 
RE: laptop by Voldemort on 12-13-2005 at 11:51 PM

sorry then!:S

RE: laptop by [MR] on 12-13-2005 at 11:57 PM

quote:
sorry then!:S
its ok you are still learning...:P
RE: RE: laptop by The Brain on 12-15-2005 at 01:06 AM

quote:

it has no usb port so i was wondering if there was a laptop card that had usb ports on it...but i can search for that later... 

By default windows 95 does not support USB, and no version of Windows 95 has full USB support. If it is an early version as you suspect, there may be no chance at all to use USB.

See http://www.usbman.com/Win95%20USB%20Guide.htm and other google results.

EDIT: It also seems that USB cards are not supported, only ports directly connected to the motherboard, so you may be out of luck.
RE: laptop by Nathan on 12-15-2005 at 02:35 AM

95, And thats a fact.
Because i have them all, well  did have :P

RE: laptop by MeEtc on 12-15-2005 at 02:40 AM

BOOT DISK
Some DOS and Linux boots there that you might be able to use

RE: laptop by Nathan on 12-15-2005 at 02:45 AM

quote:
Originally posted by MeEtc
BOOT DISK
It costs.
RE: laptop by ddunk on 12-15-2005 at 02:47 AM

quote:
Originally posted by msg_plus_freak
quote:
BOOT DISK
It costs.
Err, no it doesn't.
RE: laptop by Nathan on 12-15-2005 at 02:49 AM

http://www.bootdisk.com/popfiles.htm

RE: laptop by MeEtc on 12-15-2005 at 02:49 AM

quote:
It costs.
quote:
Originally posted by BootDisk.com

I'm glad that you have chosen my site to help you get your PC working again. It would be really nice to show your appreciation for my efforts by donating a mere $3 to help me continue to maintain this website.

RE: laptop by Nathan on 12-15-2005 at 02:57 AM

quote:
quote:
It costs.
quote:
Originally posted by BootDisk.com

I'm glad that you have chosen my site to help you get your PC working again. It would be really nice to show your appreciation for my efforts by donating a mere $3 to help me continue to maintain this website.

Thank you. :)
RE: laptop by ddunk on 12-15-2005 at 03:09 AM

You can still download all the DOS/Windows9X/Me/NT/2K/XP and linux ones for free.

RE: laptop by [MR] on 12-15-2005 at 02:20 PM

why do i need boot disks? or is that for somone else?