Shoutbox

Messenger Plus! Live - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+---- Forum: WLM Plus! General (/forumdisplay.php?fid=23)
+----- Thread: Messenger Plus! Live (/showthread.php?tid=53902)

Messenger Plus! Live by J.J on 12-14-2005 at 12:57 PM

quote:
News source: www.mess.be
Mess.be is extremely proud to be the first in the world to inform you of Patchou's future plans for Messenger Plus! Remember, you heard it here first! :p

With the (name) switch to Windows Live Messenger, one giant leap for MSN Messenger also means a giant step for the hugely popular Messenger Plus! addon, now used by almost ten million users. Since the start of November, Patchou has started working on version 4.00 which will only be compatible with Windows Live Messenger (Messenger Plus! 3 will stay available for users who remain true to MSN & Windows Messenger, but don't expect any major updates anymore). The brand new version will be recorded from scratch and bear the fresh name: Messenger Plus! Live.

Patchou told us that he didn't exactly know yet what kind of new features he's going to add, but that all the existing ones will be re-thought and adapted to be more useful in the new Windows Live Messenger: "I have a lot of new possibilities that I’m exploiting which means for example a brand new interface, designed to closely match the one of Windows Live Messenger and thus, blend in more seamlessly with Messenger".

More information on this big new project will follow as soon as we gather it. Also keep an eye on the new domain: msgpluslive.net. One thing is for sure though: there will be no release of Messenger Plus! Live before the final release of Windows Live Messenger (expected in the first half of 2006). Patchou needs all the time he can get to create the best product possible.

RE: Messenger Plus! Live by Veggie on 12-14-2005 at 01:05 PM

strange that patchou didnt release this info by himself

RE: Messenger Plus! Live by lordy on 12-14-2005 at 01:07 PM

mess.be need an exclusive every once in a while :P:P they got a pre-release of 3.6 as well remember? even though it was onyl a few hours

RE: Messenger Plus! Live by L. Coyote on 12-14-2005 at 01:08 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Veggie
Not really. He does this from time to time. Usually, after a day or two, he posts it on the forums or replies to copies such as this thread.

Sounds interesting. I hope the MP!L development goes well. (Y)
RE: Messenger Plus! Live by surfichris on 12-14-2005 at 01:21 PM

quote:
It is true - and it is where Patchou is headed.

I believe translators found out about it the other day, and some of us had known a bit before that (A)
RE: Messenger Plus! Live by Mnjul on 12-14-2005 at 01:27 PM

quote:
Actually, Patchou told us translators "to keep the news to ourselves" and not to let it on...dunno if mess.be posted the news with Patchou knowing so :mipdodgy:
RE: Messenger Plus! Live by John Anderton on 12-14-2005 at 01:31 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Mnjul
quote:
Actually, Patchou told us translators "to keep the news to ourselves" and not to let it on...dunno if mess.be posted the news with Patchou knowing so :mipdodgy:
That'd be dodgy :-/

Anyways looking forward to MP!L :grin:
And a new forum theme when it is released :rolleyes:

C'mon Every major version has one
RE: Messenger Plus! Live by dwergs on 12-14-2005 at 01:39 PM

Don't worry, Patchou granted us the exclusive :)

RE: Messenger Plus! Live by Anubis on 12-14-2005 at 01:41 PM

Messenger Plus! Live is a name very close to Messenger Live. I doubt there will be much legal complications, but it may be a confusing name to less computer able users, since the names are almost the same...

RE: Messenger Plus! Live by RaceProUK on 12-14-2005 at 01:49 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Mnjul
dunno if mess.be posted the news with Patchou knowing so :mipdodgy:
quote:
Originally posted by Mess.be
Patchou told us that he didn't exactly know yet what kind of new features he's going to add
My guess is he knows :P

Edit: It'll be fun for us plugin developers. For me to keep Phoenix going for both the MSN and WLM platforms, I'll have to have:
MSN Messenger 6.2
MSN Messenger 7.0
MSN Messenger 7.5
Windows Live Messenger 8.0
Messenger Plus! 3.61
Messenger Plus! Live 4.00
And Godknows what else :S
RE: Messenger Plus! Live by John Anderton on 12-14-2005 at 01:49 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Anubis
Messenger Plus! Live is a name very close to Messenger Live. I doubt there will be much legal complications, but it may be a confusing name to less computer able users, since the names are almost the same...
Yeah never thought of that, but imo it looks better. Its easier to denote a wlm compatible version name like that ..... if messenger is getting a new name then why shouldnt plus! :chrongue:
RE: Messenger Plus! Live by RaceProUK on 12-14-2005 at 01:51 PM

quote:
Remember though, it's Live Messenger, not Messenger Live. I believe most people are intelligent enough to tell the difference.
RE: Messenger Plus! Live by -rafy- on 12-14-2005 at 02:30 PM

"What's in a name? That which we call a rose, but any other name would smell as sweet"

Overall, a favourable move in terms of the name. Hopefully we'll see a few new features (Although i cant really think of anything major).

On the increased intergration with WLM, i suggest that you dont go "all the way", retain a distinctively plus! interface, while furthering intergration....

I assume further down the track the opportunity for more beta testers will become avaliable?

Can't wait to see it, thumbs up patchou.

RE: Messenger Plus! Live by albert on 12-14-2005 at 02:33 PM

I don`t know  why but I was kind of expecting such a move from Patchou.. maybe because he never let us down.. :)

The best of luck to you Patch!

RE: Messenger Plus! Live by Max on 12-14-2005 at 03:59 PM

Won't it be Messenger Plus! Live 1.00, not Messenger Plus! Live 4.00?

RE: Messenger Plus! Live by absorbation on 12-14-2005 at 04:01 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Patches

it says 4.00 in the post.
RE: Messenger Plus! Live by Max on 12-14-2005 at 04:02 PM

Yes, I know that.

RE: Messenger Plus! Live by L. Coyote on 12-14-2005 at 04:14 PM

quote:
Well, WLM is not 1.00, but 8.00, so it makes sense... *-)
RE: RE: Messenger Plus! Live by Max on 12-14-2005 at 04:25 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Leo
quote:
Well, WLM is not 1.00, but 8.00, so it makes sense... *-)

Okay, thanks. :)

-- Max
RE: Messenger Plus! Live by hmaster on 12-14-2005 at 04:36 PM

good news for MsgPlus! future :D

RE: Messenger Plus! Live by user35870 on 12-14-2005 at 04:38 PM

Sounds Good :D Can't Wait :o)

RE: Messenger Plus! Live by Stigmata on 12-14-2005 at 09:53 PM

hmmmmmmmmmm

* Stigmata is very unsure about this..

RE: Messenger Plus! Live by surfichris on 12-14-2005 at 10:06 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Stigmata
hmmmmmmmmmm

* Stigmata is very unsure about this..
Don't just post that without saying why.. :-/

What are you unsure about?
RE: Messenger Plus! Live by Stigmata on 12-14-2005 at 10:10 PM

How it is going to revamp everything.

I know change is good. But everything is so beautiful in its current form..

And it sucks that my main operating system is windows 2000
(unsupported :@)

RE: Messenger Plus! Live by surfichris on 12-14-2005 at 10:14 PM

quote:

Well, there are still several things which could be revamped in Plus!

Some new features will have to be thought up again or just completely trashed such as custom names, because they're already in WLM. Others can be built upon.

Revamping the UI to more closely match that with Messenger, provide better integration in contact windows and menu's etc.

quote:
I know change is good. But everything is so beautiful in its current form..
Aye, but there is always room for improvement and extension!

quote:

And it sucks that my main operating system is windows 2000
Blah, i'm sure someone will come up with a work around or MS may change the final compatibility.

One of the things i'm hoping for is an extension of the Plus! API with new functions and features for plugin developers *Hint hint Patchou*.
RE: Messenger Plus! Live by ~INVASION~ on 12-14-2005 at 10:26 PM

i hope i get back to testing it :D

i sent patchou an email explaining how i'd like to get back on board and how im testing WLM :D

hope to help out!

RE: RE: Messenger Plus! Live by Guido on 12-14-2005 at 10:53 PM

quote:
As said above, it's Windows Live Messenger and Messenger Plus! Live -- not that similar, at least not more than MSN Messenger and Messenger Plus! currently are.

quote:
Originally posted by Chris Boulton
and some of us had known a bit before that (A)
(A)

quote:

I know change is good. But everything is so beautiful in its current form.
Change is not always good, but it will be good in this case. Trust :)

quote:
Originally posted by Chris Boulton
Aye, but there is always room for improvement and extension!
Exactly. Besides, for example, Plus! 2 was great and all, but a lot was improved in Plus! 3.
RE: Messenger Plus! Live by Yousef on 12-14-2005 at 11:01 PM

I suppose Guido will be making a new design then? Sounds good :p

RE: Messenger Plus! Live by King Of Chaos on 12-15-2005 at 12:17 AM

This should be interesting. :)

RE: Messenger Plus! Live by guanako on 12-15-2005 at 12:57 AM

so are there enogh WLM tester in the forums?(im one of thme :)) cus msgplus! live will need betat testers :D,  are there gonna be new testers?

RE: Messenger Plus! Live by *Saint* on 12-15-2005 at 01:04 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Patchou
No Messenger Plus! beta will be released for now, it's way too soon for it. If you're ab official tester for WLM I'll probably ask you to join the Plus! beta testers list though, but that won't be before late January.

You'll soon understand why :).

RE: Messenger Plus! Live by ipab on 12-15-2005 at 01:45 AM

how about an extension to the api to allow decrypting of log files :D. Otherwise I like the current plus!. Would be nice to see a gui change though.

RE: Messenger Plus! Live by guanako on 12-15-2005 at 02:03 AM

how would he know if you are a WLM tester? is there a list?

RE: Messenger Plus! Live by RaceProUK on 12-15-2005 at 03:46 AM

He'd probably want proof, like a copy of the e-mail from MSN confirming you're a tester. Maybe.

RE: Messenger Plus! Live by mwe99 on 12-15-2005 at 04:29 AM

Maybe Patchou is too busy coding to post :P

And i'm sure Patchou will have some secure method of determining who and who isn't a WLM official tester

RE: Messenger Plus! Live by Chestah on 12-15-2005 at 05:00 AM

Or Patchou could just make the features of Plus! not accessible until after you've logged in (most of them aren't accessible until then anyways) therefore people that say they are testers when they are not won't beable to use Plus Live! anyways :)

RE: Messenger Plus! Live by Dane on 12-15-2005 at 05:55 AM

* Dane is glad to hear that Patchou has decided to continue with Plus! by developing MPL 4.0 (Messenger Plus! Live 4.00)

Anyway, we wont see it before 2006 at the very least, im sure of that.

RE: Messenger Plus! Live by user27089 on 12-15-2005 at 11:38 AM

This is really cool news :p.

I like the name, it has a ring to it ;).

RE: Messenger Plus! Live by MadDoggyca on 12-15-2005 at 11:41 AM

as my picutre show it has the plus comand still on the top but it onyl has the compadibility  issuse command..:(

also jsut out of topic I also got into Office 12 beta as well any on ewant to see the new office 12 just pm I'l post a topic if its worth it.(screen shots and what not)

RE: Messenger Plus! Live by Lou on 12-15-2005 at 11:51 AM

quote:
Originally posted by MadDoggyca

x
You might want to remove people's emails in that screenshot.
[/offtopic]

I'm sure Patchou will find a way to see if people have a legal copy of the beta:)
RE: Messenger Plus! Live by Stigmata on 12-15-2005 at 11:58 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Dane
* Dane is glad to hear that Patchou has decided to continue with Plus! by developing MPL 4.0 (Messenger Plus! Live 4.00)

Plus Live Zone??? :refuck:

There is another problem i have thought about. Will Microsoft file law suits against the name. They did once apon a time with e-messenger because of using their copyright.

Do you think they may play this card again?

Edit:  Found Article: http://www.bigblueball.com/forums/showthread.php?...12&goto=nextnewest
RE: Messenger Plus! Live by user27089 on 12-15-2005 at 12:24 PM

I doubt they can, it's just like using the name Messenger, Live isn't a copyrighted name, whereas MSN is.

RE: Messenger Plus! Live by Matti on 12-15-2005 at 01:50 PM

I already readed this @ mess.be... :)

Do you guys remember the poll in September about the future of Messenger Plus! ? I think WLM8 gave Patchou new possibilities for cool features which weren't possible in MSNMsgr. So, in fact, we have to thank Microsoft... :-| (never thought I ever would say that)

Go for it, Patch! Impress us once again! :D

RE: RE: Messenger Plus! Live by Guido on 12-15-2005 at 02:12 PM

quote:
Originally posted by MadDoggyca
x
Calm down :S There is no Plus! to test yet; don't start pasting WLM screenshots all over the forum. If it's needed, you'll know.

quote:
Plus Live Zone??? :refuck:
:lol: :lol:

quote:
There is another problem i have thought about. Will Microsoft file law suits against the name. They did once apon a time with e-messenger because of using their copyright.

Do you think they may play this card again?
They "sued" the guy who made e-messenger because it was called "everywhere-msn", and the URL was "everywhere-msn". Messenger Plus! Live is not very different from Messenger Plus!, which is already a registered trademark of Patchou -- I don't think there would be any problem (especially considering it's not called Windows Live Messenger Plus!)
RE: Messenger Plus! Live by Stigmata on 12-15-2005 at 03:01 PM

yeah but msn -> live

because the url features "live"...

:rolleyes:

RE: Messenger Plus! Live by user27089 on 12-15-2005 at 03:03 PM

But it's Windows Live that is copyrighted, Not live as a word, if I made something called traxor live, they couldn't sue me. It it was Windows Live Messenger Plus!, they could, because it contains the word windows.

As I said earlier, it is MSN Messenger, but they can't copyright the word Messenger, otherwise there wouldn't be Yahoo Messenger, AOL Instant Messenger etc.

RE: Messenger Plus! Live by surfichris on 12-15-2005 at 03:08 PM

You can't copyright a word. Period.

You get a trademark on a word, two totally different things.

Anyway, Patchou won't have to worry about the name, because as was stated, it is two commonly used words.

RE: Messenger Plus! Live by samydavis on 12-15-2005 at 09:22 PM

Hi
I'm an official Beta Tester,too. Hope he can confirm it. But if not I can send him whatever he needs to do so. I'm from Germany so I could test a located and an englisch Version.I'm a hge fan. So just mail back and I will do what I can.

RE: Messenger Plus! Live by matty on 12-15-2005 at 10:30 PM

Please note everyone, this is not a thread to ask to be a beta tester. Patchou picks trusted members who he feels deserves to be a tester and his friends. He has a tendency not to pick members with 1 post.

So lets stop asking to test the software.

RE: Messenger Plus! Live by ~*McoreD*~ on 12-16-2005 at 12:35 PM

Great News! Btw I think it's just good to keep the name unchanged. So Messenger Plus! 4.00 would be good and it won't have any legal issues.

RE: Messenger Plus! Live by Lou on 12-16-2005 at 02:41 PM

quote:
Originally posted by ~*McoreD*~
Great News! Btw I think it's just good to keep the name unchanged. So Messenger Plus! 4.00 would be good and it won't have any legal issues.
Patchou will not have any legal issues because:

quote:
Originally posted by traxor
But it's Windows Live that is copyrighted, Not live as a word, if I made something called traxor live, they couldn't sue me. It it was Windows Live Messenger Plus!, they could, because it contains the word windows.

As I said earlier, it is MSN Messenger, but they can't copyright the word Messenger, otherwise there wouldn't be Yahoo Messenger, AOL Instant Messenger etc.

RE: Messenger Plus! Live by albert on 12-16-2005 at 03:54 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Matty
Please note everyone, this is not a thread to ask to be a beta tester. Patchou picks trusted members who he feels deserves to be a tester and his friends. He has a tendency not to pick members with 1 post.

Well.. to be quite honest.. I do have an invite left over.. if Patchou wants a specific person to beta test, I'll be happy to give it to that person :)

RE: RE: Messenger Plus! Live by Max on 12-16-2005 at 04:13 PM

quote:
Originally posted by lp15
quote:

Well.. to be quite honest.. I do have an invite left over.. if Patchou wants a specific person to beta test, I'll be happy to give it to that person :)

I think Patchou would probably give that person an invite. ;)
RE: Messenger Plus! Live by t1a0s on 12-16-2005 at 04:26 PM

Ooo yes please ;)
Nah, gotta say it sounds awesome, really lookin forward to the new messenger plus! live.

RE: Messenger Plus! Live by matty on 12-16-2005 at 05:18 PM

quote:
Originally posted by lp15
quote:

I think you misread what I put. I am refering to the MP!L Beta not WLM.
RE: Messenger Plus! Live by Corris on 12-16-2005 at 07:56 PM

i cant wait for messenger plus live to be released

its not the same using live messenger without plus, my tabbed chats, and plugins, i miss them all

but good luck on the new version Patchou
cant wait to see what u add to it

RE: Messenger Plus! Live by user27089 on 12-16-2005 at 08:02 PM

Announced: Messenger Plus! Live 4.00

RE: Messenger Plus! Live by guanako on 12-16-2005 at 09:23 PM

nice (Y) good xmas present