Shoutbox

Before I learn C++ - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: Before I learn C++ (/showthread.php?tid=53973)

Before I learn C++ by Dox on 12-17-2005 at 01:31 AM

I am a VB user and I was thinking of finally getting into C++ I have Dev C++ and VC++.net which one do you guys recommend I start out with?

RE: Before I learn C++ by Val on 12-17-2005 at 01:53 AM

Well tbh i think you should start off with C because that will help you to learn C++, C++ is a advanced version of C hence you should learn C

EDIT: verstion to version, I hate you Lou! :P

RE: Before I learn C++ by ShawnZ on 12-17-2005 at 02:23 AM

quote:
Originally posted by ValSpy
Well tbh i think you should start off with C because that will help you to learn C++, C++ is a advanced verstion of C hence you should learn C

Completely the opposite...

By the way, start off with DevCPP over VCPP any day.
RE: Before I learn C++ by Val on 12-17-2005 at 02:44 AM

quote:
Originally posted by ShawnZ

Completely the opposite...
what are you talking about ShawnZ the complete oppsite so you should learn the advance stuff before the basic stuff then you wont know whats its all about. Think about it this way do you first learn how to speak basic english or learn how to write a persuasive essay 1000 words and with no spelling mistakes without using a computer? exsactly
RE: Before I learn C++ by brian on 12-17-2005 at 03:42 AM

Just because C++ has two plus' that it means that it is harder.

RE: Before I learn C++ by John Anderton on 12-17-2005 at 09:13 AM

quote:
Originally posted by nvez
:-/
C++ was developed from c :-/
RE: Before I learn C++ by Millenium_edition on 12-17-2005 at 10:05 AM

quote:
Originally posted by John Anderton
quote:
Originally posted by nvez
:-/
C++ was developed from c :-/
it's an improved version of c. if you start off by learning C, you'll get used to the old C mentality and all the power of C++ will be lost (mainly OOP, but also other the other small advantages of C++ will not be noticed)
RE: Before I learn C++ by Dox on 12-17-2005 at 10:06 AM

So its better to just start with learning C++?

RE: Before I learn C++ by segosa on 12-17-2005 at 10:08 AM

He's talking about compiler, not the language itself... Both DevCPP and Visual Studio compile C and C++.

Anyway, I suggest you use Visual Studio (what you referred to as VC++.NET), I prefer it over DevCPP.

EDIT: Just think of C++ as C with OOP (classes, specifically). It doesn't matter which you start with as long as when you need it, you learn OOP.

RE: Before I learn C++ by RaceProUK on 12-17-2005 at 12:23 PM

VC++.NET is the MS devkit, so is probably more suited to Windows development than Dev-C++, which doesn't come with a Windows SDK.

As for whether to learn C or C++ first, please, please, learn C first! It'll teach you how to handle pointers properly (and the Win32 API is in C).
C++ is more typesafe, but C forces good programming technique, otherwise it all goes wrong.