Shoutbox

How to use both MSN7.5 and WLM8.0 - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Skype & Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+----- Thread: How to use both MSN7.5 and WLM8.0 (/showthread.php?tid=54000)

How to use both MSN7.5 and WLM8.0 by imranais on 12-18-2005 at 02:42 AM

Hi guys,

I am new to this forum but definitely not new to beta testing. I need some assistance from u guys.

Can we use both MSN 7.5 and WLM 8.0 on the same machine. I have heard that we can but could someone guide me how to do it.

Main problem is my bro and I use the same comp but I am a beta tester and he is not. So I had to remove WLM 8 bec he cant sign in.

Thanks for ur support.

RE: How to use both MSN7.5 and WLM8.0 by prashker on 12-18-2005 at 02:47 AM

Basically When you only have MSN 7.5 installed on your PC the folder should be

C:/Program Files/MSN Messenger

but Windows Live Installs in

as well

So what I do is change the MSN 7.5 directory to

C:/Program Files/MSN Messenger 7.5

and then install Windows Live Messenger...which should install in

So in a nutshell

Change MSN Messengers Directory (C:/Program Files/MSN Messenger) to

and then install WLM :)

RE: How to use both MSN7.5 and WLM8.0 by imranais on 12-18-2005 at 02:55 AM

Thanks SonicSam that was mighty quick.

What I did was I copied the entire folder msn messenger from c:\program files\msn messenger to c:\msn messenger and then installed WLM 8.0.

But what I was doing was I was opening msn 7.5 when WLM 8.0 was already running so it would open WLM 8.0 again.

Right now I exited WLM 8.0 and opened msn 7.5 from c:\msn messenger and it works!

Thanks for ur quick reply and support...!

RE: How to use both MSN7.5 and WLM8.0 by prashker on 12-18-2005 at 03:00 AM

No problem :)

RE: How to use both MSN7.5 and WLM8.0 by leito on 12-18-2005 at 04:18 AM

quote:
Originally posted by SonicSam
So in a nutshell

and then install WLM

What's this. I didn't understand this part.
RE: How to use both MSN7.5 and WLM8.0 by prashker on 12-18-2005 at 04:23 AM

thats basically a simple thing of the first part :P

ignore that if you can do the first thing good :)

RE: How to use both MSN7.5 and WLM8.0 by John Anderton on 12-18-2005 at 04:32 AM

quote:
Originally posted by leito
quote:
Originally posted by SonicSam
So in a nutshell

and then install WLM

What's this. I didn't understand this part.
MSN messenger 7.5 is in the C:\Program Files\MSN Messenger folder.

Rename that folder to something like MSN Messenger 7.5

And then install WLM and itll be installed in the folder C:\Program Files\MSN Messenger
RE: How to use both MSN7.5 and WLM8.0 by leito on 12-18-2005 at 05:16 AM

Ok, I have done that many times, thanks anyways.

RE: How to use both MSN7.5 and WLM8.0 by RebelSean on 12-18-2005 at 05:19 AM

quote:
Originally posted by leito
Ok, I have done that many times, thanks anyways.

Did it work? If not try this, I'll post my method in details.

Install MSN Messenger 7.5 or whatever MSN Messenger version you want. Then navigate to the Program Files folder. Right click on MSN Messenger and hit COPY. Then go to like My Documents or wherever you want to, and right click and hit paste. Then install Windows Live Messenger.

Then all you have to do is go where you copied the MSN Messenger folder, and run the msnmsgr.exe file.

Simple as that :).

Tell me if this helps you or not.

RE: How to use both MSN7.5 and WLM8.0 by :No-Frost: on 12-18-2005 at 06:53 AM

Mmm MSG Plus, should continue working right???

RE: How to use both MSN7.5 and WLM8.0 by prashker on 12-18-2005 at 06:55 AM

for 7.5 ...not for 8

RE: How to use both MSN7.5 and WLM8.0 by DJKAL on 12-21-2005 at 12:44 AM

would all of this work if i have installed WLM 8.0 and i wanted to rename that cos im a beta tester and have installed 8.0 but it obviouslt has written over 7.5
so could i rename msn messnger to msn messneger 8.0 and just install msn 7.5 again as normal?

RE: How to use both MSN7.5 and WLM8.0 by prashker on 12-21-2005 at 12:49 AM

yep :)

RE: How to use both MSN7.5 and WLM8.0 by mwe99 on 12-21-2005 at 01:10 AM

if you are official tester, check out the newsgroups, there are several posts about it

RE: How to use both MSN7.5 and WLM8.0 by CookieRevised on 12-21-2005 at 02:05 AM

quote:
Originally posted by DJKAL
would all of this work if i have installed WLM 8.0 and i wanted to rename that cos im a beta tester and have installed 8.0 but it obviouslt has written over 7.5.

So could i rename "msn messenger" to "msn messneger 8.0" and just install messenger 7.5 again as normal?
no[*]

First of all, the chances are very high that you would get a message saying "a newer version of messenger is already installed blahblah uninstall that first".

But most importantly, the reason behind it is that when you install msn messenger, you install for more than only the files you'll find in the msn messenger program directory. Many different libraries are installed (in the system directory) and many things are added to the registry.

If installing messenger only meant adding some files into a directory in your program files, then yes, you could rename, move and do whatever you want in any order you want. But unfortunatly the picture is much bigger (and this doesn't only go for msn messenger, but for extremely many other programs also):

Installing a newer msn messenger version also means installing newer libraries and stuff into your system directory and registry.

If you are lucky those system libraries are downwards compatible (but this is not garanteed!!![**]) this means a system library from messenger 8 could work with a messenger 7. But, vice-versa, a system library of messenger 7 could lack many functions needed for messenger 8.

[*]If you really must have two different versions, do it the other way around. Thus always start from the lowest version first. Install that. Rename the directory, and install the newer version. This will update the libraries instead of downgrading them and the chances of errors due to conflicting versions will be less (but not zero![**]).

[**] and that is also the reason why you will never have a true original, unmodified version running when using two different versions side by side. In other words, if you want to do proper testing (beta testing, plugin testing, whatever) never install two different versions by the method described in this thread as you will never be sure if the bug is a real bug or if it is because you are mixing different versions of libraries and main programs together.

It may work now (although you can not be 100% sure until you compared all the binaries and libraries from all versions to eachother for compatibility), but nothing is guaranteed that it will always work like that.

If it seems to be working on the surface, it doesn't mean it also works 100% under the hood. Thus again, for proper testing anything, never install two different versions like that (no matter in what way or in what order or whatever).

;)
RE: How to use both MSN7.5 and WLM8.0 by imranais on 12-21-2005 at 02:05 AM

I totally agree with CookieRevised that its better to install msn 7.5 first and over install WLM 8.0.

I am using both and it works great!

RE: How to use both MSN7.5 and WLM8.0 by DJKAL on 12-21-2005 at 04:13 PM

thanks COOKIEREVISEd..i think il just see if i can re install WINDOWS MESSENGER for now. to use my opther account - thanks anyway!!!

RE: How to use both MSN7.5 and WLM8.0 by vaiper on 01-09-2006 at 09:43 PM

imranais did it work for other users on ya computer if u have XP??

RE: How to use both MSN7.5 and WLM8.0 by imranais on 01-10-2006 at 07:28 AM

Yes Vaiper it works for other users as well. But I guess the old desktop shortcut for other user needs to be deleted and a new shortcut be created from Msn 7.5 folder.

1) Just login with the other users account.

2) Delete the old shortcut on the desktop.

3) Goto ur Msn folder wherever u saved it.

4) Right click on the msn messenger icon and click send to desktop as shortcut.

It should work now!

RE: How to use both MSN7.5 and WLM8.0 by Pipish on 01-10-2006 at 10:00 AM

thanks cookie

:)   what would we do without you

RE: How to use both MSN7.5 and WLM8.0 by waters on 01-11-2006 at 06:11 AM

This is how I managed to run both MSN Messenger 7.5 and Windows Live Messenger Beta 8.0.(It's to easy and at the same time)

1. Download and install the more recent public version of  MSN Messenger(7.5.0311 or 322 after the patch)

2.Download the corrisponding Mess Patch (322) and "enable polygamy".

3.Open Windows Explorer and navigate to "C:/Program Files/". Rename the folder MSN Messenger 7.5 to Messenger "instead of just MSN Messenger" (and remember it dosent matter about the windows messenger so jusst over write it :P)

Remember its extremely important because if you install Windows Live Messenger after, it will just over write MSN Messenger.

4. After renaming the folder, go ahead and install Windows Live Messenger.

5. Navigate to the installed directories,
"C:/Program Files/Messenger" - MSN Messenger 7.5
"C:/Program Files/MSN Messenger" - Windows Live Messenger
And create "ShortCuts" to the desktop for both "msnmsgr.exe" porcesses in these folders.

Step 6:
Run them both and sign in!

WARNING!
You will need 2 (two) different accounts. One for each, msn and wlm (both dont need beta accounts only the one using WLM)

and if msnplus! does not load up with msn7.5 but it does with WML just exit them and load msn7.5 1st and then WML.. if that dont work then reset computer or just crash msnplus and restart it.

or if it doesnt want to open up 2 messengers just re-run the messpatch...

------------------
owell any questions just ask i had no problems yet expte for the 2 i put at the bottom their ejoy and have fun

RE: How to use both MSN7.5 and WLM8.0 by ShawnZ on 01-11-2006 at 07:04 AM

Way to go guys, you managed to post the exact same instructions at least four times in a thread.

RE: How to use both MSN7.5 and WLM8.0 by waters on 01-13-2006 at 11:33 PM

yeah well i know that but the others are like hard to read and a bit confuessing for some ppl! like me i get confuessed trying to follow some ppls instructions :P

o well nice work ppl ejoy the world we live in :P

RE: How to use both MSN7.5 and WLM8.0 by Timothy003 on 01-14-2006 at 07:47 PM

It's not really hard unless you don't know how to read English very well.

By the way, running both messengers side-by-side causes conflicts with settings because both use the same registry locations. Example: Windows will only run one of the messengers (the one that saved the directory to the msnmsgr.exe last) unless you put then on the Startup folder in the Start menu.

RE: RE: How to use both MSN7.5 and WLM8.0 by dudeman_27 on 01-15-2006 at 01:54 AM

quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
quote:
Originally posted by DJKAL
would all of this work if i have installed WLM 8.0 and i wanted to rename that cos im a beta tester and have installed 8.0 but it obviouslt has written over 7.5.

So could i rename "msn messenger" to "msn messneger 8.0" and just install messenger 7.5 again as normal?
no[*]

First of all, the chances are very high that you would get a message saying "a newer version of messenger is already installed blahblah uninstall that first".

But most importantly, the reason behind it is that when you install msn messenger, you install for more than only the files you'll find in the msn messenger program directory. Many different libraries are installed (in the system directory) and many things are added to the registry.

If installing messenger only meant adding some files into a directory in your program files, then yes, you could rename, move and do whatever you want in any order you want. But unfortunatly the picture is much bigger (and this doesn't only go for msn messenger, but for extremely many other programs also):

Installing a newer msn messenger version also means installing newer libraries and stuff into your system directory and registry.

If you are lucky those system libraries are downwards compatible (but this is not garanteed!!![**]) this means a system library from messenger 8 could work with a messenger 7. But, vice-versa, a system library of messenger 7 could lack many functions needed for messenger 8.

[*]If you really must have two different versions, do it the other way around. Thus always start from the lowest version first. Install that. Rename the directory, and install the newer version. This will update the libraries instead of downgrading them and the chances of errors due to conflicting versions will be less (but not zero![**]).

[**] and that is also the reason why you will never have a true original, unmodified version running when using two different versions side by side. In other words, if you want to do proper testing (beta testing, plugin testing, whatever) never install two different versions by the method described in this thread as you will never be sure if the bug is a real bug or if it is because you are mixing different versions of libraries and main programs together.

It may work now (although you can not be 100% sure until you compared all the binaries and libraries from all versions to eachother for compatibility), but nothing is guaranteed that it will always work like that.

If it seems to be working on the surface, it doesn't mean it also works 100% under the hood. Thus again, for proper testing anything, never install two different versions like that (no matter in what way or in what order or whatever).

;)

haha my god, i thought i was the only one that caught this when i first read it. i was scared for a sec. lol.
RE: How to use both MSN7.5 and WLM8.0 by Timothy003 on 01-15-2006 at 02:01 AM

Well, if you really think about it, they weren't designed to be executed simultaneously. :\