Shoutbox

use iPod as external HDD? - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: General (/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+---- Forum: General Chit Chat (/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+----- Thread: use iPod as external HDD? (/showthread.php?tid=54091)

use iPod as external HDD? by spokes on 12-20-2005 at 12:41 PM

ok, on christmas day, im getting my ipod, and im wondering, if i put all my music on there, and reformat my pc, can i plug it in and copy all my music back onto my pc?

my PC badly needs to be reformatted and i don't want to buy 35GB worth of DVD discs to back up my music

thanks in advance

RE: use iPod as external HDD? by Dempsey on 12-20-2005 at 12:44 PM

You can't retrieve them from the iPod using iTunes, but there is software about designed to get music back off an iPod, can't remember the name though...

EDIT:   There's CopyPod but I'm sure there's a free alternative.

RE: use iPod as external HDD? by Blair on 12-20-2005 at 12:55 PM

Well my cousin brought his iPod to my house, and I wanted some of his music... so [Image: google.gif].

Found "CopyPod" worked perfect, did everything you want.

RE: use iPod as external HDD? by spokes on 12-20-2005 at 12:57 PM

thanks

downloaded the trial ready for sunday (or monday by the time my pc has put all my music on my ipod)

RE: use iPod as external HDD? by Supersonicdarky on 12-20-2005 at 01:13 PM

or you can use Pod Player. It can extract music, or even play it if you put in on your ipod, then when i plug into pc without itunes! :)

RE: use iPod as external HDD? by -rafy- on 12-20-2005 at 01:24 PM

I just open the ipod_control directory and then just drag all the music across to my computer's music folder.

Then you just add the music back into itunes....

Simple.

RE: use iPod as external HDD? by Underlord on 12-20-2005 at 01:47 PM

Get a Zen. Much easier to use as an external drive. It even creates a drive in My Computer.

RE: RE: use iPod as external HDD? by -rafy- on 12-20-2005 at 01:52 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Underlord
Get a Zen. Much easier to use as an external drive. It even creates a drive in My Computer.

So does the ipod ;)
RE: use iPod as external HDD? by Underlord on 12-20-2005 at 01:58 PM

quote:
Originally posted by -rafy-
So does the ipod ;)

I don't believe ipods are recognised as an external drive.
RE: use iPod as external HDD? by Blair on 12-20-2005 at 02:01 PM

Um, I think form memory that they are, you can just see a mess of files that the iPod reads (all named different). Don't know what would happen if you copied a random file onto it usng explorer, the iPod would prob delete it?

RE: use iPod as external HDD? by lizard.boy on 12-20-2005 at 08:45 PM

ipods can be used as external drives, but the option needs to be turned on from the itunes that the ipod is synched to.

OR
plug in the ipod, reset it (menu + select for like 4 seconds)
then as it boots hold down select and play.

RE: use iPod as external HDD? by saralk on 12-21-2005 at 10:46 AM

on my iPod (nano), I can plug it into my computer and it does recognise it as a HDD, however, if you put an mp3 file onto the iPod via Windows Explorer, it won't work at all, you must go via iTunes.

But you can use it as an external HDD and put .docs and stuff on it, which you can access on another computer.