Shoutbox

New CPU help - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: New CPU help (/showthread.php?tid=54101)

New CPU help by Reaper on 12-20-2005 at 03:33 PM

i just recieved my new P4 processor. It is a 3.00ghz one. but after putting it in, my computer and other system information programs shows it running at 1.5ghz. even in BIOS it says 1.5Ghz
[Image: system8vy.png]

RE: New CPU help by Chris4 on 12-20-2005 at 03:35 PM

That's weird. Sounds like you've got 2 P4 Processors or something?

You might want to open it up and take a look at the processor, make sure everything's right. If you don't resolve the problem, contact the company you bought it from.

RE: New CPU help by Reaper on 12-20-2005 at 03:37 PM

well i havent got 2 cpus running, and ive opened my computer up manys times.

i bought it from ebay cos i dont wanna pay over £100 for it when i got it for £80

RE: New CPU help by YottabyteWizard on 12-20-2005 at 03:43 PM

The CPU might be 3.00 GHz but it's running at 1.5 GHz, check FSB, CPU Multiplier and voltages.

RE: New CPU help by Reaper on 12-20-2005 at 03:46 PM

does this help?
[Image: cpu5qj.png]

RE: New CPU help by Menthix on 12-20-2005 at 03:57 PM

Hmm, not that much into CPU related things. But I know somebody with a HT CPU that has that too.

Press CTRL+ALT+DEL and go to the Performance tab. Do you have two CPUs listed there? That's HT in action as far as I know... Windows sees it as two 1500MHz CPUs. Nothing wrong with your system :).

RE: New CPU help by Reaper on 12-20-2005 at 04:02 PM

ahh thanks. but before i enabled hyper threading in the BIOS settings, it was still like that and there was only one graph in the task manager
also the performance is not greatly different than my old processor and programs say im still running a 1.5ghz.
i got CPUCool to check my clock speed, and its around 1.5ghz.

RE: New CPU help by Ezra on 12-20-2005 at 08:19 PM

I have a P4 HT 3 Ghz too, but my computer sees it as 2 processors running at 3 Ghz.

EDIT: Added an image

[Image: klok9co.gif]

Maybe they sold you a 1.5 Ghz cpu instead of an 3 Ghz :S

I think your multiplier isn't set right.

RE: New CPU help by Reaper on 12-20-2005 at 08:28 PM

ah ok. anyway to change it?
[Edit] i searched around, and it seems i have to do something with my mobo or the cpu itself, but i dont know what. and after more research, dell (the computer i have) computers cannot be overclocked. so is there anyway round increasing the FSB?

RE: New CPU help by Reaper on 12-21-2005 at 11:58 AM

sorry to double post but i really want this problem sorted

i found a way to overclock dells but my PLL is not supported so the only way i can change the FSB is to flash my BIOS and put a new BIOS on. but how do i do this?

RE: New CPU help by Underlord on 12-21-2005 at 12:29 PM

Find who the motherboard is manafactured by then hop on their website and download the updated bios and the flashing tool.
Are you sure your motherboard supports that processor?

RE: New CPU help by Reaper on 12-21-2005 at 12:40 PM

yeh my mobo does support it.
i think my mobo is intel made becuase yhe chipset is 845PE. but on some system info programs it says my motherboard is Dell Dimension Desktop 4550

[Edit] i updated my BIOS from A01 to A08 but theres still no option to change the multplier or FSB.
could i get a bios flash from intel then use a new BIOS, such as Award?

RE: New CPU help by Underlord on 12-21-2005 at 02:06 PM

There are four chipsets starting in 845PE:

Intel® Desktop Board D845PEBT2   
Intel® Desktop Board D845PECE   
Intel® Desktop Board D845PEMY   
Intel® Desktop Board D845PESV

If you tell me which one it is I can find you a link to the bios flash utility or you can look for yourself on http://downloadfinder.intel.com/scripts-df-external/Support_Intel.aspx. It's a Desktop Board.
Try CPU-Z: http://www.cpuid.com/download/cpu-z-131.zip.

RE: New CPU help by Reaper on 12-21-2005 at 02:08 PM

im lookin inside my computer now, i cant see much telling me what my mobo is. i see MIC written on it and thats it. no other words telling me what it is
i ran CPU-Z, and heres what it showed for the mainboard tab:
[Image: cpuid8xm.png]

[Edit] i looked on the Intel site, and the only motherboard with the 845PE chipet is D845PEMY
http://www.intel.com/products/motherboard/d845pemy/index.htm

RE: New CPU help by Underlord on 12-21-2005 at 02:27 PM

http://downloadfinder.intel.com....
Although it's a Dell board so installing an Intel bios for it might not be so good.

RE: New CPU help by colddove on 12-21-2005 at 02:29 PM

I have a quick question which depending on your answer my be a fix.

After installing the new CPU, did you install your OS from scratch?
If you install a new CPU and don't want to have to reformat, you'll have to install a new HAL. Have you tried reinstalling your OS? What was the speed of your system before you updated your CPU?

RE: New CPU help by Reaper on 12-21-2005 at 02:32 PM

i didnt reinstall my OS becuase i thought there was no need. HAL? lol care to explain?
my old CPU was 1.8Ghz
but are the chances it will not work/go wrong high or is it really a 50/50 chance?
[Edit] tried one of the programs, it doesnt let me continue becuase its not an intel board :(

RE: New CPU help by Underlord on 12-21-2005 at 02:36 PM

Did you update the CPU in a standard Dell PC? This may be the reason the multipliers are not set correctly.

RE: New CPU help by Reaper on 12-21-2005 at 02:38 PM

i bought the comptuer from Dell themselves and and ive changed the CPU, is that what you mean?

RE: New CPU help by Underlord on 12-21-2005 at 02:43 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Reaper

i bought the comptuer from Dell themselves and and ive changed the CPU, is that what you mean?
Indeed.
RE: New CPU help by Reaper on 12-21-2005 at 02:45 PM

well the multipliers cant be changed within my BIOS and i tried a program called CPUFSB but my PLL isnt supported so thats why i think i need a change of BIOS

RE: New CPU help by colddove on 12-21-2005 at 02:47 PM

Before going and updating the BIOS, unless too late, I'd recommend reinstalling the OS. If that doesn't work, than look at updating your BIOS. It could just be the HAL (Hardware Abstraction Layer).

RE: New CPU help by Reaper on 12-21-2005 at 02:48 PM

quote:
Originally posted by colddove
Before going and updating the BIOS, unless too late, I'd recommend reinstalling the OS. If that doesn't work, than look at updating your BIOS. It could just be the HAL (Hardware Abstraction Layer).
well i already updated the BIOS but that made no difference whatsoever.
i still dont see why reinstlaling the OS should fix it. and by reinstall, you mean format my drive and install or do you mean repair the files?
RE: New CPU help by colddove on 12-21-2005 at 02:50 PM

According to a note in my book here, it says "Windows XP installed on an ACPI system with the ACPI hardware abstraction layer (HAL) will not allow you to change the resource settings. It might appear to accept your changes, but it will revert to its prior settings, even if you attempt to change the settings using the system BIOS configuration tools. To permit manual configuration of device resource settings, you must have installed a Standard PC HAL during installation."

RE: New CPU help by Underlord on 12-21-2005 at 02:51 PM

He means formatting or just overwriting the windows directory. Did you update the BIOS to the Intel one? The Dell BIOS probably has locked multipliers because you're not meant to attempt to overclock it or change the CPU. :P

RE: New CPU help by Reaper on 12-21-2005 at 02:51 PM

so your saying i need to install the "Standard PC HAL"?

quote:
Originally posted by Underlord
He means formatting or just overwriting the windows directory. Did you update the BIOS to the Intel one? The Dell BIOS probably has locked multiplyes because you're not meant to attempt to overclock it or change the CPU. :P
i dont want to format :(. i upgrading using the Dell one. yeh i read that they locked it, thats why i wanna change the BIOS, unless the HAL thingy works :P
RE: New CPU help by colddove on 12-21-2005 at 02:54 PM

Seeing as though, you earlier mentioned that you wanted to know what it was, I'd doubt that you installed a non-Standard PC HAL. It comes up right at the beginning of the install blue screen and you have to hit F5 to install anything but the Standard.

RE: New CPU help by Reaper on 12-21-2005 at 02:55 PM

ok, so if i do this, i can do it without losing all my stuff on my HDD, so as Underlord said, ill be overwriting my Windows directory?

RE: New CPU help by Underlord on 12-21-2005 at 02:58 PM

quote:
ok, so if i do this, i can do it without losing all my stuff on my HDD, so as Underlord said, ill be overwriting my Windows directory?
None of your programs will work as the registry will get deleted.
RE: New CPU help by colddove on 12-21-2005 at 02:59 PM

I myself wouldn't recommend overwriting the Windows directory but if Underlord is confident enough, go with him. I would backup my data maybe to dvd, cd, another physical hard drive, etc... then reformat and then move the data back.

RE: New CPU help by Underlord on 12-21-2005 at 02:59 PM

quote:
I myself wouldn't recommend overwriting the Windows directory but if Underlord is confident enough, go with him. I would backup my data maybe to dvd, cd, another physical hard drive, etc... then reformat and then move the data back.

I agree with that. Overwriting the windows directory messes up programs anyway. Although I don't think reinstalling windows will help you. I believe the problem occurs because Dell has set the multipliers and locked them at that. You need to unlock the multipliers and let the BIOS set them automatically, possibly by installing the Intel BIOS.
RE: New CPU help by colddove on 12-21-2005 at 03:07 PM

Yeah, I didn't think you could just do that. Repairing the install would fix anything wrong with the OS but wouldn't change the HAL so if you really don't want to do it, you can force a non-ACPI HAL but I'm not too familiar with doing that so from my standpoint, the easiest way would be to just reformat.

RE: New CPU help by Reaper on 12-21-2005 at 03:08 PM

ok, ill use colddove's method as a last resort, only if it guarenteed to work.
as with changing the BIOS, is there a way to remove the BIOS from the chip and install a totally different one?

RE: New CPU help by colddove on 12-21-2005 at 03:11 PM

Underlord is correct too. The multipliers being locked could be stopping you too. I would contact Dell Tech support and ask them if they have any updates that would allow it. The reformat is a quick fix check to see if it is the HAL. It could be either of the two. Sorry, I wasn't paying too much attention to the muliplier lock. Dell used to be popular for that. I didn't know they still were, but why not, from their standpoint.

RE: New CPU help by colddove on 12-21-2005 at 03:12 PM

You can't remove and change the BIOS chip unless you replace it with an identical one and then there wouldn't be a point to that. Try finding an BIOS update and if that doesn't work than try the reformat as a last resort.

RE: New CPU help by Underlord on 12-21-2005 at 03:15 PM

You could just try the Intel one; though it would be at your own risk. I'm off to bed now. Hope you can work it out.

RE: New CPU help by Voldemort on 12-22-2005 at 12:08 AM

I have the same thing, one processor 2 appear, its because of HT.

RE: New CPU help by YottabyteWizard on 12-22-2005 at 06:33 AM

Or you could only make a REPAIR of the WIndows Installation, the registry will still be OK, some registry entries would be overwritten, but the I think that might work, and the whole Windows directory wouldn't be replaced, just some files.

RE: New CPU help by Reaper on 12-22-2005 at 11:07 PM

quote:
Originally posted by YottabyteWIzard
Or you could only make a REPAIR of the WIndows Installation, the registry will still be OK, some registry entries would be overwritten, but the I think that might work, and the whole Windows directory wouldn't be replaced, just some files.
well i was thinkin that, but colddove siad it was at the blue setup screen...

also im gonna call up dell tomorrow and see if they can do anything about it
RE: New CPU help by Chestah on 12-22-2005 at 11:15 PM

umm i'm not sure about Intel, but with AMD you need to change the "jumpers" on your motherboard to determine the FSB that it runs at.

Read the manual of your CPU and see if you need to set these jumpers on your motherboard. I know for AMD that it is required, so you might need to do it for Intel as well. Whenever i build a computer i usually boot it up like you have and then realise i haven't increased the jumper settings. ;) So nothing is wrong with your CPU is this is the case, read your motherboard info on jumpers for info on how to do it.

RE: New CPU help by Reaper on 12-22-2005 at 11:18 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Chestah
umm i'm not sure about Intel, but with AMD you need to change the "jumpers" on your motherboard to determine the FSB that it runs at.

Read the manual of your CPU and see if you need to set these jumpers on your motherboard. I know for AMD that it is required, so you might need to do it for Intel as well. Whenever i build a computer i usually boot it up like you have and then realise i haven't increased the jumper settings. ;) So nothing is wrong with your CPU is this is the case, read your motherboard info on jumpers for info on how to do it.
the CPU didnt come with a manual, it was OEM, and im not 100% sure what make/model my mobo is. but i think its an intel one. but ill have a look. but im convinced its the locked multipliers

RE: New CPU help by ShawnZ on 12-22-2005 at 11:24 PM

quote:
Underlord is correct too. The multipliers being locked could be stopping you too. I would contact Dell Tech support and ask them if they have any updates that would allow it. The reformat is a quick fix check to see if it is the HAL. It could be either of the two. Sorry, I wasn't paying too much attention to the muliplier lock. Dell used to be popular for that. I didn't know they still were, but why not, from their standpoint.

It's not the HAL.

quote:
Originally posted by damm-o
I have the same thing, one processor 2 appear, its because of HT.

That isnt even the problem. Go away.

quote:
Originally posted by YottabyteWIzard

That will unlock the BIOS? 8-)
RE: New CPU help by CookieRevised on 12-22-2005 at 11:45 PM

Chestah hit the nail...

And he most likely also meant read the manual of your mobo too... He is right that in many cases when you change CPU, you also need to change some jumpers on the mobo (if possible at all, not all mobo's can be configured for whatever CPU and stuff). Doing this only in BIOS is rare.

Windows has got nothing to do with all this; Windows does not control how such hardware as your mobo is configured; it simply runs on top whatever it has (this also means there is no need at all to reinstall, repair, whatever, after such a hardware update)

I always emphasize on having a specific manual of your mobo, especially when upgrading. It is very mandatory (especially when upgrading CPU's)!

Though many mobo's also have tables and definitions printed on their board, it is often extremely small and very crypted and short. Manuals most likely also contain more additional info and stuff.

Never buy a mobo without the manual or a mobo of which you aren't sure you can find a manual for it on the net... ;)

RE: New CPU help by Reaper on 12-22-2005 at 11:52 PM

well all i got is the computer manual which came with my dell. dell dont include the manuals for the parts they use AFAIK. but i saw a mobo layout in it so ill locate the jumpers. where would i found out what position/order i need to put the jumpers in
[Edit] looking in my computer manual, all i can see is the "Password jumper". would that be it?

RE: New CPU help by ShawnZ on 12-22-2005 at 11:54 PM

quote:
[Edit] looking in my computer manual, all i can see is the "Password jumper". would that be it?

No... it would be a set of switches or jumpers...
RE: New CPU help by Reaper on 12-22-2005 at 11:56 PM

oh i see. are they usally located near something or do they appear anywhere on the mobo?
[Edit] after careful inspection of my mobo, there is only the one jumper, which consists of 3 pins. my motherboard seems to be a modified version of the intel D845PEMY. i looked at the documentation on their site, but its not relevant to my board
also could it be becuase the mobo only support a max of 533Mhz data rate?

RE: New CPU help by surfichris on 12-23-2005 at 02:23 AM

quote:
also could it be becuase the mobo only support a max of 533Mhz data rate?
Intel P4's with HT typically run at an 800mhz front side bus speed.

Your CPU is currently running at 400mhz FSB (Half of what it should be). I established this way back when you posted the screenshot and it showed me your multiplier and FSB ("3.75 x 400").

If your motherboard only supports a max of 533mhz then you'd be able to bump it up to that, and nothing more. The most you'd get out of your current multiplier settings would be 3.75 x 533 = 2ghz.

If you bump up the multiplier, you could possibly get it higher, but you'd be basically doing trial and error and could actually damage the CPU or motherboard doing so.

Bad news? Dell lock the FSB and multiplier.

You could use software based overclocking, but as I said, you could damage your motherboard and CPU. http://www.cpuid.com/clockgen.php
RE: New CPU help by lizard.boy on 12-23-2005 at 03:11 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Chestah

in older cases yes, but for newer motherboards (such as newer asus) they have "jumperfree" configurations in the bios.
RE: New CPU help by Chestah on 12-23-2005 at 03:30 AM

Yeah true lizard.boy, i assumed though that his computer would be using an older motherboard. Eg my computers relatively new (and its an asus) and it still has jumpers.

quote:
Originally posted by Chris Boulton
Bad news? Dell lock the FSB and multiplier.

Arhh - looks like you might have to get another motherboard or at least contact Dell and see if theres any other way this can be resolved. :)
RE: New CPU help by Reaper on 12-23-2005 at 12:36 PM

well i called up dell. they cant do nothing about it. so looks like im gonna have to buy a new motherboard which supports 800Mhz FSB :P
thanx for your help tho :D
heres the mobo im getting:
Mobo
im also getting a new case because my dell case wont support the mobo. does it matter what wattage i get?

RE: New CPU help by CookieRevised on 12-23-2005 at 02:41 PM

At least 300W, to make sure you will come nothing short in the far future, make it 400W...

Also read the following thread (entirly), it contains a massive amount of very usefull info if you go shopping for one:

new power supply, help

;)

RE: New CPU help by Reaper on 12-23-2005 at 03:40 PM

cheers cookie, also can someone explain what ATX is all about. i know that at the moment i dont have an ATX PSU.

RE: New CPU help by CookieRevised on 12-23-2005 at 04:31 PM

ATX is a form factor.
Just as AT and BTX are other form factors

AT is the old form factor for PC's...
ATX is the current widespread used form factor for PC's...
BTX will be the new form factor of the future...

(all have sub form factors, like babyAT, microATX, microBTX, etc)

A form factor defines how and where things are placed and what the dimensions are. It describes the general shape, what sorts of cases and power supplies it can use, its physical organization, etc. Thus so component A would fit in/on component B.

For example, a company can make two motherboards that have basically the same functionality but that use a different form factor, and the only real differences will be the physical layout of the board, the position of the components...

eg: a power supply with form factor ATX would not fit in a case with form factor AT or BTX. So make sure you buy the correct PSU with the correct form factor for your case and motherboard. This would mean an ATX one, unless you still have a stone-age PC or a ultra-super-modern PC.

http://www.formfactors.org/formfactor.asp

RE: New CPU help by Reaper on 12-26-2005 at 01:32 AM

hmm, well my mate was buying me a case, and he got me one with a 500W psu. its way too much i know, but will it affect my components?

RE: New CPU help by Plik on 12-26-2005 at 03:05 AM

quote:
hmm, well my mate was buying me a case, and he got me one with a 500W psu. its way too much i know, but will it affect my components?
No, infact it will give you more juice if your components need it, which makes it a good thing because if you plan on upgrading your rig over time then having the extra juice that the PSU offers will lead to less problems than having an underpowered PSU as you add energy munching components.
RE: New CPU help by rav0 on 12-26-2005 at 05:07 AM

If you are getting a cheapy case, I wouldn't trust the PSU that comes with it, if one does. If you are getting a case from a reputable manufacturer (eg Antec), then the PSU should be good. If getting a no brand case, I get rid fo the PSU that case with it and buy a quality PSU.

Like CookieRevised said, 300 W will be enough, unless you want to run some crazy lighting off it to show off your SLI PCI-E video cards *-), but if a yumcha PSU says that it can output 300 W, it might not be able to.

Summary
If buying a case from a trusted manufacturer, the PSU will probably be 300 W or more, and you'll be set. If buying a dodgy brand case, the rating that is given for the PSU is probably false, so don't pay attention to what rating is given, or whether there is a PSU at all, and buy a quality PSU to use instead.

RE: New CPU help by Reaper on 12-26-2005 at 03:39 PM

well i dont know much about case manufacturers, but the case is:
I-Cute 0408XL-BS Black ATX Case With 500 WATT PSU
cost is £50

RE: New CPU help by CookieRevised on 12-26-2005 at 11:03 PM

I dunno....
£50 would be just enough to buy a decent 500W PSU... let alone a decent case together with a decent 500W PSU...  and since that case is a special "designers/modding" case I personally would not buy that as I think the PSU must be a very cheap one for that price.

[Image: 0408XL--2.jpg]
I-Cute 0408XL-BS

The prices I've seen for that case alone, range from £30 to £60... let alone that you can have a decent 500W PSU for the rest of the money...

I wonder what you're going to do with 500W anyways though :p

RE: RE: New CPU help by rav0 on 12-27-2005 at 01:19 PM

quote:
well i dont know much about case manufacturers, but the case is:
I-Cute 0408XL-BS Black ATX Case With 500 WATT PSU
cost is £50

I've never heard of I-Cute before, but that doesnt mean that it is guaranteed to be a bomby case or PSU, but the website doesn't give me a good impression :dodgy:. £50 works out to about AU $120, which is on the cheap side for a 500 W PSU (though maybe all  prices are like that in London).

It looks like there is a lid that goes over the optical drives, which isn't very practical (and you can't show off your drives).

Antec, AOpen and Coolermaster are some good brands.

To add some personality, buy a simpler looking case, and then you can mod it to your preference (unless the Icute is exactly what you want :p)