Shoutbox

Windows Blocking Music? - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: Windows Blocking Music? (/showthread.php?tid=54122)

Windows Blocking Music? by Chris4 on 12-21-2005 at 12:37 AM

I have Windows OneCare and was sent a music file on MSN Messenger, then when I tried opening it, it says Windows has blocked it...

[Image: attachment.php?pid=580434]

When I go to the help link, it says to go to properties then Unblock. But the file isn't in My Recveived Files when I look, and that's deffonately the folder it saves in.

How can I prevent them from being blocked/deleted in the future? This has happened a few times before.

RE: Windows Blocking Music? by DJeX on 12-21-2005 at 02:05 AM

quote:
Originally posted by chris4
How can I prevent them from being blocked/deleted in the future? This has happened a few times before.

Don't Install SP2.

And go the the properties of that file not the properties of the folder.

RE: Windows Blocking Music? by CookieRevised on 12-21-2005 at 02:33 AM

You can have SP2 without any problems (in fact you should have it if you want many security bugs fixed)...

To unblock a file, the file must exist (otherwise you can't go to its properties). Unfortunatly, when you get that message, the file is already deleted (as that is what it does).

For the future, check you security settings in OneCare, or its properties or whatever and make sure you've set them correctly (not to strict or whatever)[*]

[*]I don't have OneCare installed, but it sure can be configured IIRC. If not, please correct me...

But this sure isn't a case of having SP2 or not though.

RE: Windows Blocking Music? by ShawnZ on 12-21-2005 at 02:49 AM

quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
[*]I don't have OneCare installed, but it sure can be configured IIRC. If not, please correct me...

It has nothing to do with OneCare. It is to do with SP2. When you recieve certain files over MSN Messenger or via Internet Explorer, they are blocked in SP2.
RE: RE: Windows Blocking Music? by CookieRevised on 12-21-2005 at 02:56 AM

quote:
Originally posted by ShawnZ
quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
It has nothing to do with OneCare. It is to do with SP2. When you recieve certain files over MSN Messenger or via Internet Explorer, they are blocked in SP2.
Wasn't that fixed long time ago (the extremely strict detection)?

I don't get that when I recieve a wav though (SP2, clean latest messenger 7)
RE: Windows Blocking Music? by RaceProUK on 12-21-2005 at 02:13 PM

quote:
Originally posted by ShawnZ
It has nothing to do with OneCare. It is to do with SP2.
But SP2 doesn't come with anything that blocks files, just asks if you really want to run them. It'll be OneCare that's actually blocking the file.
RE: Windows Blocking Music? by Chris4 on 12-21-2005 at 07:03 PM

The only thing I can find is this:

[Image: attachment.php?pid=580809]

Maybe if I unticked it?

Firewall is set to Auto [reccomended]

Can't see anything else which would help..

RE: Windows Blocking Music? by DJeX on 12-21-2005 at 08:31 PM

OneCare, SP2 it don't matter there both crap. I haven't installed SP2 ever and my computer is still running great. You don't need SP2 or OnCare to survive.

RE: Windows Blocking Music? by CookieRevised on 12-21-2005 at 11:48 PM

quote:
Originally posted by DJeX
I haven't installed SP2 ever and my computer is still running great.
(...)
You don't need SP2 or OnCare to survive.
yeah, including all the major security bugs and what not... (and if you fixed them by downloading the fixes, you practically do have SP2)...

Microsoft releases service packs for some reason. It isn't release to annoy users, it is released to fix security leaks and bugs.

And service packs also include other bug fixes for "normal" programs. Not installing a service packs is ermmm... dumb (sorry for the word, but... it is :/). A service pack isn't "crap" (well maybe some specific default settings are, but that is why there are configuration panels)

PS: installing a service pack doesn't mean you need to install things like OneCare or what not and it doesn't mean you need to keep the default settings. With SP2 for example, you can configure a lot of stuff...

quote:
Originally posted by chris4
The only thing I can find is this:

[Image: attachment.php?pid=580809]

Maybe if I unticked it?

Firewall is set to Auto [reccomended]

Can't see anything else which would help..

As I said, I have SP2, including windows firewall running, etc.... only I don't have OneCare, (but neither do I have this "blocking" problem)... Anyways, what can you configure if you click on "AntiVirus Exclusions", or what do you see when opening the tab "Tune-up", etc, etc...
RE: Windows Blocking Music? by Voldemort on 12-22-2005 at 12:02 AM

It never happens to me.
and i dont have one care.

RE: Windows Blocking Music? by Chris4 on 12-22-2005 at 01:32 AM

Ok, the help page sends me to this...

RE: Windows Blocking Music? by CookieRevised on 12-22-2005 at 01:39 AM

hmmm, the answer seems to be there... don't set your internet zone to "strong security mode".

Personally, I indeed never liked that option as it is much too restrictive (you can't almost do anything anymore; you aren't free anymore to decide for your own what and what not to do); you almost are better of without any internet in that case (so to speak)...

So, set you internet security zone to "normal" or even better define your own security settings (and thus use your own judgment and common sense when you browse instead of relying on what Windows forces upon you. PS: There is no harm what-so-ever if you set all options to "always ask" ("strong security mode" defines all those almost all to "no"). In that case you will have a question message box for every possible security breach and you can decide for your own if it is trustable or not, on-the-fly.)

Internet Explorer > Tools > Options > Security...

-----------

If the above doesn't work... explore further in the many tabs and configuration windows of OneCare and related stuff.

RE: Windows Blocking Music? by Chris4 on 12-22-2005 at 01:53 PM

Internet settings is set to normal..?

Don't think it's anything to do with OneCare because it says on the help thing that it's SP2.

RE: Windows Blocking Music? by CookieRevised on 12-23-2005 at 05:10 AM

I read it wrong, sorry. It says that it will only block files when the program (sending/recieving those files) is running in a strong security mode.

So this hasn't to do with internet zones...

RE: Windows Blocking Music? by Chris4 on 12-23-2005 at 05:32 AM

So what it's saying is that MSN Messenger is running in a high security mode...?