Shoutbox

did any1 get a ethernet connection with there free usb modem from their isp? - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: did any1 get a ethernet connection with there free usb modem from their isp? (/showthread.php?tid=54147)

did any1 get a ethernet connection with there free usb modem from their isp? by ss2005 on 12-21-2005 at 07:30 PM

does the free modems come with ethernet ports aswell as usb?

RE: did any1 get a ethernet connection with there free usb modem from their isp? by ss2005 on 12-21-2005 at 07:56 PM

do the usb modems supplied by isp's come with ethernet ports aswell?

RE: did any1 get a ethernet connection with there free usb modem from their isp? by Menthix on 12-21-2005 at 07:57 PM

Depends on the model.

A modem you get from your ISP isn't any different from the modems you can buy in stores. Except from firmware/software/accessories, but that's not the point here.

There are thousands types of modems, so need more info.

RE: did any1 get a ethernet connection with there free usb modem from their isp? by ss2005 on 12-21-2005 at 07:59 PM

tesco but i cannot find any info on the modem you get with them. i need to know because of the router i have

RE: did any1 get a ethernet connection with there free usb modem from their isp? by matty on 12-21-2005 at 08:02 PM

All cable modems are going to have an RJ45 connection. This interface is standard for DSL and Cable internet connections.

If the ISP is providing you with a USB to Ethernet Adapter this is so that incase you do not have  NIC you can connect the USB Adapter to your USB Port and connect the USB Adapter via an Ethernet Cable to the Modem.

Hope that clears it up for you.

RE: did any1 get a ethernet connection with there free usb modem from their isp? by ss2005 on 12-21-2005 at 08:17 PM

is there an adaptor which changes your usb connection in to an ethernet connection?

RE: did any1 get a ethernet connection with there free usb modem from their isp? by tomfletcherman on 12-21-2005 at 08:17 PM

A lot of modems supplied by your ISP simply don't have this feature - because in doing this, they can attempt to sell you a wireless package rather than let you network your own.

RE: did any1 get a ethernet connection with there free usb modem from their isp? by ss2005 on 12-21-2005 at 08:20 PM

yes which is very annoying. does anyone know any good ethernet modems?

RE: did any1 get a ethernet connection with there free usb modem from their isp? by tomfletcherman on 12-21-2005 at 08:23 PM

You could buy a combined ADSL modem and router, and then request the information you would need to connect to the internet using it from your ISP. I suggest looking at Draytek routers as there are models that have an integrated modem and hard wired/wireless LAN capability. You may also want to contact your ISP to find out the connection type you have (there's asdl and isdl I think).

RE: did any1 get a ethernet connection with there free usb modem from their isp? by Menthix on 12-21-2005 at 08:26 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Matty
All cable modems are going to have an RJ45 connection. This interface is standard for DSL and Cable internet connections.
There are enough modems that only have a phone line/cable connection and USB to connect it to your pc. Some Dutch ISPs have supplied such models and i'm sure there are more ISPs that do that.

Fore example: SpeedTouch 330 USB ADSL Modem

RJ45 insn't standard for cable or DSL at all. My DSL line has a RJ11 connector. Any my coax cable doesn't have RJ45 either.
RE: did any1 get a ethernet connection with there free usb modem from their isp? by GiantSpider on 12-21-2005 at 09:49 PM

I know that the newer bt modems have usb & ethernet connections & can supply dsl simultaneously through both. On the subject of other routers I use Buffalo.

RE: did any1 get a ethernet connection with there free usb modem from their isp? by M73A on 12-21-2005 at 10:12 PM

steve u tight git.... i told you to buy a router with a built in modem... it will save you a lot of hastle!!!

RE: did any1 get a ethernet connection with there free usb modem from their isp? by rav0 on 12-22-2005 at 01:09 AM

They call it a USB modem because it is; a cheap USB modem, it won't also have ethernet.

If it's a free modem that they are giving to attract customers, it is most likely not very good.

There are some modems that have both USB and ethernet connections, but they are quite similar to a USB modem and an ethernet modem taped together. They do not share many of the same components, and the USB won't be useful to you anyway.

In conclusion; listen to to M73A!

RE: did any1 get a ethernet connection with there free usb modem from their isp? by ss2005 on 12-23-2005 at 11:24 AM

sold my router and am goin 2 by a router/modem.

RE: did any1 get a ethernet connection with there free usb modem from their isp? by M73A on 12-23-2005 at 11:28 AM

[Image: go_you.gif]

well done steve, finally coming to your senses....