Shoutbox

Change "nick auto-message" format - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+---- Forum: WLM Plus! Help (/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+----- Thread: Change "nick auto-message" format (/showthread.php?tid=54161)

Change "nick auto-message" format by robochief on 12-22-2005 at 02:38 AM

Hello dear Plusers.
Is there a way to replace the default nickname auto-message: blah to something like nickname says: blah?
Just to say the "auto-message" part, not the nickname nor the message itself.

Thank you.

RE: Change "nick auto-message" format by CookieRevised on 12-22-2005 at 02:53 AM

nope....

Because that specific string is part of which Plus! uses to reconize an auto-message (currently... because, maybe, when he has heaps of time :p, Patchou could change this so that you locally would see another text, but at the same time it will actually send the english text to the contact, dunno [*]).

Also see "missing translation value",
and other existing threads...

------------------

EDIT1:
[*] This said, you can change the "auto-message:" itself, locally (thus only what you see), using the Word Filtering feature. (Thus you can not change how the nickname is shown, or the order or whatever)

Plus! > Prefereces > Instant Messages > Word Filtering
and
http://www.msgplus.net/help_tutorials.php?tut=word-filtering

eg:   Filter this word: auto-message:
        Replace by: says (auto):
        tick "Messages you recieve"

EDIT2: theory changed in practicall example.

RE: Change "nick auto-message" format by prashker on 12-22-2005 at 03:11 AM

Cookie...what you said your theory worked :)

I setup like this <view attachment> and it shows like this <view attachment>

RE: Change "nick auto-message" format by CookieRevised on 12-22-2005 at 03:22 AM

yep, I noticed it too as I tried it out also (after making that post and the "theory" :D). I wondered why I never thought of it before and replied with it in that old thread though :$

all fixed and added now :p

Though, it has some drawbacks: you can't change the order and/or nickname and/or making it into a longer text or whatever. Also, the word filter will also kick in when you type "auto-message:" in a normal text... But it is better than nothing of course... :p

RE: Change "nick auto-message" format by robochief on 12-22-2005 at 04:11 AM

Excellent tip, thank you.
I'll explain better why I wanted to replace the auto-message :
I'm from South America, and obviously all the people I know speak spanish; but I stick to english in everything I can. For example, all the software I use has english as its default language.
But (a big "but"), I also like friends to read my auto-message in spanish, so it could say the same as "nickname auto-message:", but in a more friendly manner and a recognized language.

That's all, and thank you for your advices. :)

RE: Change "nick auto-message" format by CookieRevised on 12-22-2005 at 04:22 AM

I see... well remember that the word filtering, in this case, is only done locally. Meaning: only you will see the changed text, your contacts will still see the original english text (unless, they too make a word filter for their own of course) ;)

And even if something more customizable and something specific for this is added to Plus!, it will never be able to set what your contacts see, as your contacts have their own preferences; you can't force something upon your contacts without them having the ability to override it (eg: I bet you wouldn't like it either if a Chinees speaking person can change the stuff you see in Chinees -no offence to chinees speaking people of course :p-).

RE: Change "nick auto-message" format by L. Coyote on 12-22-2005 at 05:39 PM

Kind of off-topic but...

quote:
Originally posted by robochief
But (a big "but"), I also like friends to read my auto-message in spanish, so it could say the same as "nickname auto-message:", but in a more friendly manner and a recognized language.
"auto-message" and "mensaje automático" (or "auto-mensaje") is not that difficult to figure out in Spanish. :P

What you can do is put "(mensaje automático)" before any text you want to put in the message.

Example:
Mi Apodo auto-message: (mensaje automático) me voy a bañar
RE: Change "nick auto-message" format by robochief on 12-22-2005 at 05:48 PM

Obviously I can, but it'd look a bit edgy.
Thank you all anyway, I wanted to be sure it isn't possible.

RE: Change "nick auto-message" format by huwnet on 12-22-2005 at 06:42 PM

it would be quite nice if instead of auto-message some invisible characters were sent (like the ones you put in your display name). At the moment people without plus write:

auto-message:<msg>

which makes them look like they have plus when really they are writing that to annoy me

RE: Change "nick auto-message" format by CookieRevised on 12-23-2005 at 12:24 AM

The reason why an english text is used and not a special character is exactly because of people who don't have Plus!.

If a special character was used those people would see some strange character, not very user-friendly...

PS: there are no "hidden" characters though. Plus! makes them hidden locally, thus for your eyes only, not for your contacts. If you wouldn't have Plus! you would see many strange characters...

RE: RE: Change "nick auto-message" format by micke on 04-24-2007 at 11:27 AM

quote:
Originally posted by huwnet
it would be quite nice if instead of auto-message some invisible characters were sent (like the ones you put in your display name). At the moment people without plus write:

auto-message: <msg>

which makes them look like they have plus when really they are writing that to annoy me

I have seen that too. But I don't understand what you mean; what exactly do I have to write in order for the message to look like an auto-message?

(name) auto-message: (text)
and this is written in italic and the colour is light blue.
RE: Change "nick auto-message" format by micke on 04-27-2007 at 11:12 AM

Well, anybody who knows how to do this?