Shoutbox

sponsor adware - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+---- Forum: WLM Plus! Help (/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+----- Thread: sponsor adware (/showthread.php?tid=54207)

sponsor adware by RenegadePuppy on 12-23-2005 at 12:39 PM

it keeps coming back no matter what. im going to go insane if it doesnt stay out of my pc.

heres what happens. i install it, AND CHECK "I REFUSE TO INSTALL THE SPONSOR SOFTWARE" or whatever. all is good. i restart PC. i have 5 icons on desktop, internet explorer is infected with toolbars and popups.. what the hell!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i uninstall Messenger Plus and its spyware. its all gone, i reinstall... same crap happens either after someone else on my pc logs in or after i restart...

WHY DOES IT KEEP COMING BACK I DONT WANT IT I NEVER DID I NEVER CHOSE TO INSTALL IT YET IT PERSISTS TO INFECT MY PC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

please could someone help me, i really like using Messenger Plus its extremely handy, but its not worth having the bs.

RE: sponsor adware by absorbation on 12-23-2005 at 12:46 PM

quote:
Originally posted by RenegadePuppy
WHY DOES IT KEEP COMING BACK I DONT WANT IT I NEVER DID I NEVER CHOSE TO INSTALL IT YET IT PERSISTS TO INFECT MY PC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

are you sure lol, read carefully, now did you close your internet broswer when uninstalling the sponsor? ;) that is a common problem
RE: sponsor adware by RenegadePuppy on 12-23-2005 at 01:01 PM

well, im pretty fricken sure i didnt have any open (its only IE that appears to be infected...) the icons disappeared after i finished the uninstall. i even opened IE and the toolbar was gone. but after restart all the gayness is back..

really irritating.

does it have anything to do with having multiple people on this pc.. its a bit dodgy, i install it under my login. then i switch user and log in as my brother, and  theres no msn plus software installed. then i restart and theres all this crap under my login and i switch to him, he has the same crap and plus is installed

RE: sponsor adware by absorbation on 12-23-2005 at 01:06 PM

Well, this is an annoying bug, it could be the case, unforuntly i have no idea how this could be fixed, I suggest you wait around until we get a repley helping you, i will e-mail you when a repley helping with this is posted if you want.

RE: sponsor adware by RenegadePuppy on 12-23-2005 at 01:08 PM

thatd be great thanks.

ill have to keep Messenger Plus uninstalled for now :'(

popups/unwanted icons/toolbars that keep re-appearing makes me punch holes in doors and walls.

update:

interesting.. ive reinstalled plus and uninstalled it many times. usually when i uninstall it knows that the adware is uninstalled and asks me to enter that code to remove it. but this time (and a few times in past) it didnt.

maybe the adware has become independent of plus or something?

i just uninstalled msn plus and the adware is STILL on my pc, however i do know how to get rid of it. (install plus again and select to install the sponsor software, then uninstall all again and it will be gone)

also does it have anything to do with me installing an older version of plus ( i still selected NO to the sponsor software) then i used the help menu to update plus (selecting NO again to sponsor s.w.)

another note: i have been using same version of plus for ages, then all of a sudden i noticed this spyware on PC. took me ages to find out it came from msn plus. so then i uninstalled and reinstalled and got the problem i got now, which is same software keeps reappearing.

thats all i can think of at the moment that could be a possibly cause for this bug.

RE: sponsor adware by RaceProUK on 12-23-2005 at 01:12 PM

Maybe these re-appearing icons and stuff are not the Plus! sponsor?

RE: sponsor adware by RenegadePuppy on 12-23-2005 at 01:16 PM

nah, they are. because when the SW is temporarily removed, and i install Messenger Plus and its sponsor software, those icons appear, and the toolbar appears. then i uninstall, all it goes.

i do a fresh install, select no to software, all appears to be good.

then i restart pc, or log on as diff user and its back

ok.

i had Messenger Plus uninstalled. yet the sponsor software was still on my pc.

ive just downloaded the latest version. installed with sponsor software.

went to uninstall, but selected to uninstall sponsor software only. the icons have disappeared, the toolbar, gone.

lets hope when i switch user / log off / restart, they stay gone. if they do, i will be one happy puppy.

UPDATE

well, all i did was simply start>shutdown>restart. waited. logged on as myself. and BAM theres the icons and toolbars. i am one massacistic puppy right now.

when i go to remove msn plus. it doesnt give me the option to uninstall the sponsor software individually, i dont think it realises the software has installed itself. this is a serious problem i beleive because how can i be sure its ever removed from my PC?
RE: sponsor adware by user27089 on 12-23-2005 at 01:47 PM

Personally, I don't think it's messenger plus! that has you infected, I think you may have accidentally downloaded some other software and it's infected your system.

Try going to C:/Program Files/C2Media/ and seeing if there is an uninstaller in there, if there isn't, then Messenger Plus! isn't the issue.

RE: sponsor adware by RenegadePuppy on 12-23-2005 at 01:52 PM

there is no C2Media folder.

i am quite certain it is MsgPlus that has me infected. ill do a test right now. the situation was as before, i had no spyware. i installed a fresh version of plus WITHOUT the sponsor software. all is good, no problems, i restart PC normally, log in, and the spyware appears. i have to reinstall Messenger Plus WITH the spyware inorder to successfully remove it.

i have removed it, now im going to restart PC without install plus at all.

UPDATE

son-of-a-*****.

i restarted and the icons appeared. WTF!

its still msn-plus's fault however, as these icons/toolbars clearly came from msn plus... this software though, seems to have gone and infected my pc and wont go away. now its personal. how the hell am i supposed to get rid of it.. sigh

i read that sticky thread on how to remove the software.

quote:
If you continue to experience problems after running an adware removal tool, please address your complains directly to the creators of the tool, neither I nor C2Media can be held responsible for the actions performed by another program.

ages ago, i did email C2media when i didnt know where it came from. i emailed them asking them how to remove the software, and i also wanted to know where it came from. they sent me some bs saying that they are not responsible for any harm because i read the "terms and conditions" when i installed their software... yeah right. they also sent me a link to download an executable file to remove the software (the same program that asks you to enter the numbers) and they also said to look in "add/remove programs" for any of the following:

'Search Plugin', 'Window Search', or 'Window Searching'.

none of those were there..

and i ran that program, i noticed the icons dissapeared, then about 2 seconds later they reappeared. i didnt touch anything they did it totally automatically...

help anyone?
RE: sponsor adware by user27089 on 12-23-2005 at 02:05 PM

Try a system restore for some time last week.

Start > All Programs > Accessories > System Tools > System Restore.

That will take you back a week and the adware won't be installed.

However, you won't lose any files.

RE: sponsor adware by RenegadePuppy on 12-23-2005 at 02:06 PM

i dont think this will work. ive had the adware for several weeks while i tried to find out

a) how to remove it
b) where it came from

so far i have found out

b) where it came from

RE: sponsor adware by user27089 on 12-23-2005 at 02:08 PM

Do a system restore for several weeks back then, last month if you have to, it will get rid of the adware, and that's what matters.

I think you've been affected by a very rare bug in the adware.

RE: sponsor adware by RenegadePuppy on 12-23-2005 at 02:10 PM

but wont i lose any files or programs ive installed since then?

quote:
However, you won't lose any files.

how will the adware be removed and nothing else?
RE: sponsor adware by user27089 on 12-23-2005 at 02:16 PM

It will remove any programs you have installed in the past 3 weeks, this will include the adware, I'd worry about the adware rather than worrying about losing programs tbh.

No files will be removed, like I said, it only removes installed programs within the time period that you select to go back to.

RE: sponsor adware by RenegadePuppy on 12-23-2005 at 02:20 PM

what about stuff like software updates. for example:

my ATI driver i updated today.

would that be included in the removal, and will it rollback to whatever version was installed x weeks ago.

does the restore actually remove stuff installed in x weeks, or go back to the status it was at, at x weeks?

RE: sponsor adware by ShawnZ on 12-23-2005 at 02:20 PM

Windows XP and Above Instructions:

1) RE-INSTALL THE SPONSOR PROGRAM. This ensures that no damage has been done to the proper uninstaller.

2) Click Start, click Run, type msconfig and hit enter.

3) Select the BOOT.INI tab at the top of the window.

4) Check "/SAFEBOOT" then select "NETWORK"

5) Click OK, and choose OK when asked to reboot the system

6) When booted up in safe mode, you can now uninstall the sponsor. Go to start, control panel, add/remove programs, and select Messenger Plus.

7) Select to remove the sponsor program only, and follow its uninstallation procedure.

8) Go to start, click run, type msconfig, and hit enter.

9) Go to the BOOT.INI tab in the window that appears.

10) Uncheck "/SAFEBOOT" and click OK. Click OK to the message that asks you to reboot the system.

11) On the next reboot, you will recieve a message telling you that the System Configuration Utility has been used. simply check the box and click OK to not see this message again.

RE: sponsor adware by RenegadePuppy on 12-23-2005 at 02:22 PM

ok shawnz that sounds good, ill give it a try.

RE: sponsor adware by ShawnZ on 12-23-2005 at 02:33 PM

Common questions:

It isn't uninstalling normally
If the sponsor no longer uninstalls properly unless you are in safe mode, this can be caused by a broken Internet Explorer it sometimes leaves running in the background. If this is the problem, starting in safemode will solve this.

Why do I need to reinstall it?
The sponsor program will not uninstall if any component of it is modified in any way. This is a security measure. In order to properly uninstall, you must reinstall it first to make sure all of it's files are there and it won't react to missing ones

RE: sponsor adware by RenegadePuppy on 12-24-2005 at 08:50 AM

ShawnZ, i did exactly what you said, but when i restarted PC the adware re-appeared. it took a few seconds after i logged in, then the icons appeared on desktop.

RE: sponsor adware by [MR] on 12-24-2005 at 08:58 AM

did you ever do a system restore though?  im sure that will fix it.

RE: sponsor adware by Chestah on 12-24-2005 at 10:00 AM

quote:
ShawnZ, i did exactly what you said, but when i restarted PC the adware re-appeared. it took a few seconds after i logged in, then the icons appeared on desktop.

Then, the spyware that has infected your PC is not from Msgplus! Try downloading Adware or Microsoft Anti-spyware beta and doing a scan to see what other spyware you have installed :).
RE: RE: sponsor adware by RenegadePuppy on 12-24-2005 at 10:04 AM

i havent tried the system restore yet, ill need to backup some game stuff first.

quote:
Originally posted by Chestah
Then, the spyware that has infected your PC is not from Msgplus!

well it came from Messenger Plus and its just not going away effectively.

ive tried numerous spyware removal programs none work.

its like this adware has evolved above Messenger Plus removal and spywareremoval programs.
RE: sponsor adware by user27089 on 12-24-2005 at 10:04 AM

You won't lose any game saves or anything by the way.

RE: sponsor adware by CookieRevised on 12-24-2005 at 02:16 PM

quote:
heres what happens. i install it, AND CHECK "I REFUSE TO INSTALL THE SPONSOR SOFTWARE" or whatever. all is good. i restart PC. i have 5 icons on desktop, internet explorer is infected with toolbars and popups.. what the hell!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
1) This means that the adware did NOT came from this Messenger Plus! installation.

There is no way at all that the sponsor is installed when you select "I refuse to give my support, don't install the sponsor". There is no bug in that, no hidden exception, no nothing.

The procedure in the code for that is extremely simple and very strait forward. It always has worked perfectly and you always will have the choice. This was so in every version (even in private alpha and beta versions!) and will always be so.

2) It also means that you don't give the complete picture (or the true picture) here in describing the problem! Icons do not come out of the blue and since they did not come from this installation they must come from somewhere else, from something you did before what you just described. If they appear after you reboot, it can only mean 2 things:

a) Something was already installed on your computer before you installed this Messenger Plus! version.

b) to add to point a: You have not correctly removed a previous sponsor installation.

quote:
i uninstall Messenger Plus and its spyware. its all gone, i reinstall... same crap happens either after someone else on my pc logs in or after i restart...
If they reappear:
1) or you have not correctly uninstalled the sponsor.
2) or the adware was not installed by Plus!, (and thus isn't Plus!'s sponsor), yet it is very similar to the one which came with the Plus! installation. And thus the uninstall program of the sponsor thinks it removed the correct files (because they are very similar). But since it did not came from this specific sponsor, the installation is missing some files. Thus again, actually you haven't removed the adware correctly...

quote:
If you indeed never ever (even by accident!) have choosen to install the sponsor, then it can not come from Messenger Plus!.

quote:
interesting.. ive reinstalled plus and uninstalled it many times.

usually when i uninstall it knows that the adware is uninstalled and asks me to enter that code to remove it. but this time (and a few times in past) it didnt.
You can reinstall and uninstall all you want, if you don't start of from a normal clean machine or if you don't follow the correct uninstallment instructions, you can not jump to conclussions. The problem wil always be the same.

A common mistake (other than not following the instruction for closing every MSIE window), is to have dodgy anti-virus or anti-spyware programs running in the background which actually cripple the correct uninstallment procedure (and often without you noticing it). Some other security monitoring programs do the same.

quote:
maybe the adware has become independent of plus or something?
In fact, the adware is always independant of Plus!. The sponsor is a totally seperate and different program.

The only "link" between Plus! and the adware sponsor is a line of code in the setup of Messenger Plus! to start the external installation program of the sponsor (it is indeed an external program, Plus! itself does not contain a single line of code for this). And a line of code to start the external uninstallation program of the sponsor.

eg:
Shell "sponsorinstall.exe"
Shell "sponsoruninstall.exe"

quote:
also does it have anything to do with me installing an older version of plus (i still selected NO to the sponsor software) then i used the help menu to update plus (selecting NO again to sponsor s.w.)
nope, absolutely not (see first reply in this post).

quote:
another note: i have been using same version of plus for ages, then all of a sudden i noticed this spyware on PC. took me ages to find out it came from Messenger Plus. so then i uninstalled and reinstalled and got the problem i got now, which is same software keeps reappearing.
This description is actually the best and closest to what your problem might be (instead of the first one you gave in your first post).

If you have always have used Plus! without any of these adware problems, it means only one thing: You never installed the sponsor which came bundled with the Messenger Plus! setup.

Then, all of a sudden, something appeared. This means you (or any other user of the computer for that matter) have done something which made it appear.

Since the sponsor of Plus! will never be installed automatically and behind your back (it can't be a bug either, as that is one of the first things which is very well tested in every version), it means it must have come from somewhere else. That is, IF you are 100% certain you didn't opt in (even by accident) for the installation of the sponsor.

It is perfectly possible that it simply came from surfing the web! Messenger Plus! is not the only program which includes adware provided by C2Media (aka lop). And if your security settings are not optimal, things do get installed (behind your back) when surfing some sites. I, personally, once came across such a site which indeed installed a C2Media adware thingie (luckally I had my settings so that it warned me before installing). So that could have well happened to you (or any other user of your PC).

Once this happened it is very hard, if not impossible, to proof that it came from Plus!. Saying that it came from Plus! because it appears to be uninstalling when you uninstall Plus! isn't proof for that because of what I said before:
the adware was not installed by Plus!, yet it is very similar to the one which came with the Plus! installation. And thus the uninstall program of the sponsor thinks it removed the correct files (because they are very similar). But since it did not came from this specific sponsor, the installation is missing some files. Thus again, actually you haven't removed the adware correctly...

Though, it isn't so hard to proof that it did not came from Plus!; simply the fact that you say that you never opt in for the sponsor of Plus! (even by accident) is that proof because the sponsor of Plus! will not be installed automatically all of a sudden just like that, under any circumstances.

quote:
what about stuff like software updates. for example:

my ATI driver i updated today.

would that be included in the removal, and will it rollback to whatever version was installed x weeks ago.
most likely, yes...

quote:
does the restore actually remove stuff installed in x weeks, or go back to the status it was at, at x weeks?
That actually depends on what programs you mean and all. Widnows' System Restore isn't a real backup so to speak, but rather a copy of registry, system files and stuff. Mostly Windows components (3rd party drivers included) will indeed be totally roll back. But 3rd party software will not nessecairly be put back, though the older files located in system or user directories will be. It's hard to explain though....

quote:
ive tried numerous spyware removal programs none work.
Strange at it may seems, those cause often more damage than anything else.

Unfortunatly, especially in the case of C2Media adware. The reason for this is rather simple though. Anti-spyware tools often do not make the distinction between the various forms of adware that C2Media has. They call everything of that company spyware and treat every package the same. Yet the adware from C2Media is often updated and can come in many levels and forms. If the anti-spyware tools would follow the correct procedures instead of forcing everything, there wouldn't be a problem using those.
RE: sponsor adware by qgroessl on 12-24-2005 at 02:24 PM

quote:
i install Messenger Plus and its sponsor software

?? That means you DID indeed install the sponsor program?... I think you probably just said that wrong... But make sure you slow down and take your time going through the installation pages so that you are 100% sure that you're not accidently installing the bundled adware that comes with Messenger Plus!
RE: sponsor adware by RenegadePuppy on 12-24-2005 at 02:48 PM

quote:
Originally posted by groessl35
quote:
i install Messenger Plus and its sponsor software

?? That means you DID indeed install the sponsor program?... I think you probably just said that wrong... But make sure you slow down and take your time going through the installation pages so that you are 100% sure that you're not accidently installing the bundled adware that comes with Messenger Plus!

no. whereever you took that quote from i think you may have taken it out of context. most like i installed Messenger Plus and its sponsor to simply have it removed again so when i remove it, im removing a version which hasnt been interfered with.

CookieRevised:

thanks for the input.

i beleived 100% that the spyware came from MsgPlus. (and who wouldnt when you install the sponsor from plus and its exactly the same product. also when the removal seems to remove it but does a dodgy job because it comes back). now i guess it has come from somewhere else :(

quote:
A common mistake (other than not following the instruction for closing every MSIE window), is to have dodgy anti-virus or anti-spyware programs running in the background which actually cripple the correct uninstallment procedure (and often without you noticing it). Some other security monitoring programs do the same.

safe mode would have prevented other anti-spyware programs running/interfering in the background? i didnt have any other windows open except for the add/remove programs one.

i really need to find the source of where Lop came from. i emailed C2 media and theyre not helping at all...

how can C2Media's software be legal when its spying on my usage. it installed itself (im pretty sure i had nothing to do with it - i could be wrong [not bloody likely] ). and its being a pain by hiding itself and not uninstalling. i know its not particularly malicious but still if C2Media dont tell me how to get rid of it i consider it a virus.
RE: sponsor adware by RaceProUK on 12-24-2005 at 04:55 PM

First of all, Cookie is right in assuming the adware doesn't come from Plus!, especially since you said the adware appeared randomly even though you had Plus! installed for some time. Second, it's adware, not spyware: it doesn't care what you're doing, it just displays some ads every so often. Third, have you tried C2Media's uninstallers? System Restore? Other things like that? Maybe even try manual removal?

RE: sponsor adware by [MR] on 12-24-2005 at 05:46 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Chestah
Try downloading Adware
AdAware se personal.
RE: sponsor adware by user27089 on 12-24-2005 at 06:19 PM

No offence here or anything, but are you listening to me, do a system restore to get rid of it easily, you will not lose files.

God damn, why won't people just listen.

RE: sponsor adware by emit on 12-24-2005 at 09:42 PM

It's likely that you installed it with Plus (by accepting the sponsor) and a problem has been stopping it from uninstalling successfully... apparently there will be an updated universal uninstaller tonight, I'll post again when it's available.
traxor: if he has installed it so long ago then System Restore will probably do more harm than good uninstalling other things; also Adaware won't do much good either.

RE: sponsor adware by Max on 12-24-2005 at 10:01 PM

http://www.maxshanly.com/messengerplus.htm

Please read, if your inexperienced enough to believe that adware is spyware then you should read that before you install Messenger Plus!

RE: sponsor adware by absorbation on 12-24-2005 at 10:11 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Patches

Please read, if your inexperienced enough to believe that adware is spyware then you should read that before you install Messenger Plus!

he knows this he is just trying to make sure that the sponsor stops returned for all we know there is a problem with the new installer.

(i cant belive you wrote all that :|)

And do not use a scanner it will only make things worse, maybe someone wants to provide an manual uninsatller for this guy, with full details :)
RE: sponsor adware by emit on 12-24-2005 at 10:14 PM

Just wait and the fix will be released soon.

RE: sponsor adware by absorbation on 12-24-2005 at 10:16 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Time
Just wait and the fix will be released soon.
quote:
Originally posted by Absorbation
for all we know there is a problem with the new installer.

woo i was right :banana: On behalf of the comminuty am i sorry for that this problem has caused you RenegadePuppy, I'll be sure to remind you of the update ;)
RE: sponsor adware by emit on 12-24-2005 at 10:19 PM

This has nothing to do with the new installer, it's a rare problem with old installs.
The update will be to the uninstaller on the lop.com homepage.

RE: RE: sponsor adware by Max on 12-24-2005 at 10:42 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Absorbation
quote:
Originally posted by Patches

he knows this he is just trying to make sure that the sponsor stops returned for all we know there is a problem with the new installer.

(i cant belive you wrote all that :|)

And do not use a scanner it will only make things worse, maybe someone wants to provide an manual uninsatller for this guy, with full details :)

Didn't take that long, about 30 minutes, 20 for all the screenies. :)
RE: sponsor adware by emit on 12-24-2005 at 11:13 PM

The new uninstaller is now available at http://lop.com/new_uninstall.exe ... save all your work before running it, and reboot after doing so.

Please note that in general this should *only* be tried if the normal msgplus uninstaller fails.

If you have problems downloading the exe, you can also get it in a zip at http://lop.com/new_uninstall.zip

Hope that helps, please post here and let us know what happens. :)

RE: sponsor adware by RenegadePuppy on 12-25-2005 at 12:44 AM

ahhhhh HA!

im so freakin happy. coz its christmas day today. but screw christmas, that program killed the spyware[adware]. ive restarted and it hasnt reappeared.

thanks to ALL who posted replies to help (even though some were useless :p) but thanks to all anyway. me so happy now.

RE: sponsor adware by emit on 12-25-2005 at 01:01 AM

Glad that worked and Merry Christmas. =p