Shoutbox

Help!! // How to find out admin password on Windows XP - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: Help!! // How to find out admin password on Windows XP (/showthread.php?tid=54252)

Help!! // How to find out admin password on Windows XP by Nathan on 12-25-2005 at 06:11 PM

Hiya all,
We got a new pc for xmas and mum has made herself admin and no one else.
She won't let me be admin
Can you help me with these questions?
1) What is the default Administrator password?
2) Is there a way that I can get rid of the restrictions
3)or is there away to still be limited but be able to install programs.

I have treid talking to mum but she's being stuborn.
Thanks

RE: Help!! by matty on 12-25-2005 at 06:17 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Msg Plus Freak
default is nothing unless they change it on install
At the welcome screen press CTRL+ALT+DEL twice it will give you a Win2k login screen. in the username type Administrator and click ok. If she didn't change it you will be logged into the Admin Account and can give yourself admin privileges. I suggest also adding a password on that account so no one else can change it.

quote:
not without admin access, it may be Windows but they did some things right

quote:
only if the installer doesn't check to make sure you are an admin or if you install the files to My Documents instead of Program Files.
RE: Help!! by Val on 12-25-2005 at 06:20 PM

quote:
e got a new pc for xmas and mum has made herself admin and no one else.

Thanks

First of all you probably dont want her to find out if you hack her so dont do it but theres a way to be a power user on windows XP just like windows 2000

ok go to desktop -> my computer -> right click -> manage -> system tools -> local users and groups -> users -> double click on your user -> member of -> find power user and put it in there

make sure you are loged in as an admin on the computer ;)

hope this helps
RE: Help!! by Nathan on 12-25-2005 at 06:22 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Matty
At the welcome screen press CTRL+ALT+DEL twice it will give you a Win2k login screen. in the username type Administrator and click ok. If she didn't change it you will be logged into the Admin Account and can give yourself admin privileges. I suggest also adding a password on that account so no one else can change it.
What do you mean at setup?
When it says " Your Name"?
Is thee any registry files or something?
RE: Help!! by matty on 12-25-2005 at 06:23 PM

quote:
quote:
When installing windows it says something in regards to setting the administrators password I doubt your mom did that. So at the welcome screen do what I posted and you should be fine.
RE: Help!! by Val on 12-25-2005 at 06:25 PM

quote:
quote:
quote:
When installing windows it says something in regards to setting the administrators password I doubt your mom did that. So at the welcome screen do what I posted and you should be fine.

Oh btw can you go back to user select?
RE: Help!! by Nathan on 12-25-2005 at 06:25 PM

Nahh it doesnt work because it says this account has been restricted :@
Thanks for a good try though

RE: Help!! by Val on 12-25-2005 at 06:31 PM

quote:
Nahh it doesnt work because it says this account has been restricted :@
Thanks for a good try though

if you cant install program in program files just do them in my documents or anywhere you have prilages to
RE: Help!! by Ezra on 12-25-2005 at 06:33 PM

boot in safe mode, XP Home won't let you on the default admin.

RE: Help!! by Nathan on 12-25-2005 at 06:42 PM

I have xp home.

RE: Help!! by Voldemort on 12-25-2005 at 06:47 PM

Guess her password ? it may be something simple

RE: Help!! by Nathan on 12-25-2005 at 07:03 PM

quote:
Originally posted by damm-o
Guess her password ? it may be something simple
Tried,
Hey that's a point is there any password finders about?
RE: Help!! by matty on 12-25-2005 at 07:05 PM

Ok are you just not reading?

On the welcome screen where it shows you the user accounts press Ctrl+Alt+Del twice this will change to a Windows 2000 style login. Type Administrator as the username and click OK. Chances are she hasn't changed the password for that account.

RE: Help!! by SikStyles on 12-25-2005 at 07:47 PM

Why do you need to get on that PC anyway?

RE: Help!! by Nathan on 12-25-2005 at 08:00 PM

quote:
Ok are you just not reading?

On the welcome screen where it shows you the user accounts press Ctrl+Alt+Del twice this will change to a Windows 2000 style login. Type Administrator as the username and click OK. Chances are she hasn't changed the password for that account.
I did that, and it sais you cannot log on to this account or somethinlike that .
quote:
Originally posted by SikStyles
Why do you need to get on that PC anyway?
It's everyones, adn mine is blown :@

RE: Help!! by Ezra on 12-25-2005 at 08:47 PM

Did you try to start in safemode and then try to login with the administrator?

cause on xp home you can only use the administrator account in safemode

RE: Help!! by user27089 on 12-25-2005 at 08:51 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Ezra
Did you try to start in safemode and then try to login with the administrator?

cause on xp home you can only use the administrator account in safemode

I already told him to do this and everything, he's going to do it later tonight I think.
RE: Help!! by ShawnZ on 12-25-2005 at 08:59 PM

http://home.eunet.no/~pnordahl/ntpasswd/

RE: Help!! // How to find out admin password on Windows XP by Mike on 12-26-2005 at 06:37 AM

quote:
Originally posted by ShawnZ
Nice, but if I understood correctly, this program resets the password on a user, so his mother would know because she wont be able to sign in...
RE: Help!! // How to find out admin password on Windows XP by Nathan on 12-26-2005 at 11:26 AM

I have tired Power User.
But in system tools there's no "Local Users and Groups"
Any help please?

EDIT: I am using XP Home.

RE: Help!! // How to find out admin password on Windows XP by user27089 on 12-26-2005 at 11:53 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Mike
quote:
Nice, but if I understood correctly, this program resets the password on a user, so his mother would know because she wont be able to sign in...

Just remove her password, it will confuse her enough for her not to really care.
RE: Help!! // How to find out admin password on Windows XP by ~INVASION~ on 12-26-2005 at 11:53 AM

easy, click start>run and enter in the run box w/o quotes "control userpasswords2"

i think you can figure the rest out ;)

edit: i just checked and it doesnt really do anything if your on your type of account, but thats still a nifty tool

RE: Help!! // How to find out admin password on Windows XP by Nathan on 12-26-2005 at 12:37 PM

Has anyone got a prgrma which pretneds to be asking for a password to run a prgram but actually copis it?
Or somthing like that.
As I have an idea.
Just to type in the password when it comes up run as.

RE: Help!! // How to find out admin password on Windows XP by TheBlasphemer on 12-26-2005 at 12:58 PM

What Service Pack is installed? I used to know a bug in the scheduler that'd allow you unlimited access too (basically, it'd allow you to be logged in as "SYSTEM") ;)

EDIT:
Apparently it works on SP2 too (at least, here it does, on XP MCE)
I've attached the file.
What it does is add itself to the task-scheduler for the next minute, and then waits for it to be re-launched. This means that you should unpack it somewhere, instead of just running it from the zip ;)
On startup it should say something like "Wait a minute please...", then after roughly a minute a new window will pop up "Google Search: Second World War" with an Internet Explorer icon (It was designed to be used at school, and because of this they couldn't see it in the taskbar ;))

Then it has several options:
Run TaskManager -> runs the taskmanager as SYSTEM, from there you can use all those tricks (like the userpasswords trick) to change password (trough File -> New Task (Run...) )
Restart Start-bar -> Kills your taskbar and re-launches it as SYSTEM. Now everything you do from Start will run as SYSTEM.
Kill All -> Don't touch this, this was only to fuck school pcs ;)
Blast me! -> Ditto, unless you want your system to reboot instantly...
Unlock & Start MSN -> Start windows messenger, useful if it's locked at school ;)
Run Registry Editor -> Run regedit as SYSTEM
Kill process -> Kill a certain process
Run Program -> Run something
Explore -> Start explorer
Dos prompt -> Start DOS-prompt.

Don't complain to me if you fucked something up or it doesn't work though ;)

EDIT2:
On some systems task-scheduler is disabled, in that case it will still attempt and ask you to wait a minute, but it won't be launched :(

RE: Help!! // How to find out admin password on Windows XP by Snake on 12-26-2005 at 02:21 PM

why don't u just get your own comp?? ^o)

RE: Help!! // How to find out admin password on Windows XP by John Anderton on 12-26-2005 at 06:13 PM

I dont mean to sound odd but there are quite a few similar threads with similar questions and similar answers. Only if you would have googled/ forum searched it would have made is so much quicker :P

RE: Help!! // How to find out admin password on Windows XP by Nathan on 12-26-2005 at 08:36 PM

Can someone help me find the xp guest account picture
or
Can you hide an account from  the users file so you can see it in conrol panel?

RE: Help!! // How to find out admin password on Windows XP by Nathan on 12-27-2005 at 01:42 PM

I have accidently hidden an account adn you can't access it from control panel>user accounts or anything.
Could someone show me how to do it please? As i dont know what I did

sorry for double posting I just would like help!

RE: Help!! // How to find out admin password on Windows XP by TheBlasphemer on 12-27-2005 at 01:47 PM

Try Start -> Run -> control userpasswords2

RE: Help!! // How to find out admin password on Windows XP by Nathan on 12-27-2005 at 01:48 PM

Tried that but it's not there either. But whats really wierd is that I can still access that account which is totally hidden.

RE: Help!! // How to find out admin password on Windows XP by TheBlasphemer on 12-27-2005 at 01:52 PM

If it's completely hidden, how can you access it :/?

Try Start -> Run -> lusrmgr.msc and see if it's in there...

RE: Help!! // How to find out admin password on Windows XP by Nathan on 12-27-2005 at 02:00 PM

quote:
Originally posted by TheBlasphemer
Try Start -> Run -> lusrmgr.msc and see if it's in there...
That dont work because im on xp home.
quote:
I dunno,
RE: Help!! // How to find out admin password on Windows XP by TheBlasphemer on 12-27-2005 at 02:01 PM

In that case even I am completely lost :/

RE: Help!! // How to find out admin password on Windows XP by Nathan on 12-27-2005 at 02:13 PM

quote:
Ohhh by ctrl alt del del. on logon screen.
RE: Help!! // How to find out admin password on Windows XP by John Anderton on 12-27-2005 at 02:13 PM

quote:
Has anyone got a prgrma which pretneds to be asking for a password to run a prgram but actually copis it?
Or somthing like that.
As I have an idea.
Just to type in the password when it comes up run as.
Even tho i am the admin on my pc, i have tried that and it works :cheesy:
But that was when that app was initially released :P I dont know ... a year and a half to two years back.

But you need to be slick to make that change.
Use ur acc, run the app just when your mom needs the pc, she tries to log in multiple times and fails. You say "wtf i was just on it ... let me try." You log it (the app disables itself).
You log off again and let your mom use her account.
Just hope she doesnt find that text file or you are so grounded :refuck:
Hide it in you my docs and make it private (assuming that you are using a ntfs system) You of course need a password on your account to do this but so does using the story i just gave you :dodgyomar:
RE: Help!! // How to find out admin password on Windows XP by Nathan on 12-27-2005 at 04:07 PM

Any link for that app please?

RE: Help!! // How to find out admin password on Windows XP by CookieRevised on 12-27-2005 at 04:31 PM

This may sound stupid, but why not simply explain to you mom why you want access to the PC? After reading this thread (and others from before) I get the gut feeling that your mom has big reasons to restrict your access and that she has big reasons for not trusting you or whatever.

Doing all this stuff will not do you any good in the long run, as she will find out about it and she will not be happy. Then what? Grounded? No computer for a long time?

Talk to you mom about it all... Say you need a PC for homework and don't wanna mess up her computer (as you like to "experiment" also). If you're lucky (and behave :p) you maybe can even get your own computer in the end which you could mess with. Afterall, it's the holiday season...

RE: Help!! // How to find out admin password on Windows XP by Nathan on 12-27-2005 at 04:48 PM

quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
This may sound stupid, but why not simply explain to you mom why you want access to the PC? After reading this thread (and others from before) I get the gut feeling that your mom has big reasons to restrict your access and that she has big reasons for not trusting you or whatever.

Doing all this stuff will not do you any good in the long run, as she will find out about it and she will not be happy. Then what? Grounded? No computer for a long time?

Talk to you mom about it all... Say you need a PC for homework and don't wanna mess up her computer (as you like to "experiment" also). If you're lucky (and behave :p) you maybe can even get your own computer in the end which you could mess with. Afterall, it's the holiday season...
I tried and she has agreed that i can have power user priviliges.
But the problem is that I can;t get power users up :@
Im using xp home

RE: RE: Help!! by Val on 12-28-2005 at 05:40 PM

quote:
Originally posted by ValSpy
quote:
e got a new pc for xmas and mum has made herself admin and no one else.

Thanks

First of all you probably dont want her to find out if you hack her so dont do it but theres a way to be a power user on windows XP just like windows 2000

ok go to desktop -> my computer -> right click -> manage -> system tools -> local users and groups -> users -> double click on your user -> member of -> find power user and put it in there

make sure you are loged in as an admin on the computer ;)

hope this helps

I posted it in the second post :dodgy:
RE: Help!! // How to find out admin password on Windows XP by John Anderton on 12-28-2005 at 05:46 PM

quote:
Originally posted by ValSpy
I posted it in the second post :dodgy:
I didnt know win xp home had power users too.

quote:
After reading this thread (and others from before) I get the gut feeling that your mom has big reasons to restrict your access and that she has big reasons for not trusting you or whatever.
Thats why i told him to search for the threads ..... they all say these same things everytime but the best thing is to ask for the privs rather than get access illegally cause she will find out eventually.
Mabbe she will see some new installed stuff/the user cp thing .... then you are screwed.

quote:
Any link for that app please?
Sorry not available anymore on that site. It was 2 years ago :-/ I deleted it as i dont need it. I am the admin on my pc :-/
RE: Help!! // How to find out admin password on Windows XP by ShawnZ on 12-28-2005 at 06:00 PM

quote:
quote:

I tried and she has agreed that i can have power user priviliges.
But the problem is that I can;t get power users up :@
Im using xp home

Why does she even know what Power User privliges are? Why not just ask her to make you an Administrator? There are two buttons, and those are the only buttons she needs to know about.
RE: Help!! // How to find out admin password on Windows XP by John Anderton on 12-28-2005 at 06:08 PM

quote:
Why does she even know what Power User privliges are? Why not just ask her to make you an Administrator? There are two buttons, and those are the only buttons she needs to know about.
I thought i was the only one who thought that your mom knowing what power users are is odd O.o
I think his mom is a big time user :p
RE: Help!! // How to find out admin password on Windows XP by ShawnZ on 12-28-2005 at 06:09 PM

quote:
Originally posted by John Anderton
quote:
I thought i was the only one who thought that your mom knowing what power users are is odd O.o
I think his mom is a big time user :p

Then she would know Power User is useless...
RE: Help!! // How to find out admin password on Windows XP by John Anderton on 12-28-2005 at 06:12 PM

quote:
Then she would know Power User is useless...
She obviously had a look at the administrative tools option (or heard about it somewhere)
RE: Help!! // How to find out admin password on Windows XP by Nathan on 12-28-2005 at 06:37 PM

My mum knows a lot about pc's she builds them and makes prgrams.
She's not to good on xp and I always get round her in the end :P Because she gets bored of checking on me.
Power users do not work on xp home as i have tried.
Power users you can't edit system thing (much) which she doesnt want me to do

Ok I have a question, There must be away to hide a user account from the control panel because how would they hide the Hidden Administrater?? So would you guys help me hide it from Control Panel>User accounts.
Thanks

RE: Help!! // How to find out admin password on Windows XP by YottabyteWizard on 01-06-2006 at 02:17 PM

I found this on google, hope it works. BTW, review the file for dodgy functionality...

quote:
From http://www.dougknox.com/xp/scripts_desc/xp_hide_users.htm
This VB Script will allow you to hide users on the Welcome screen.

To use: Download the xp_hide_users.vbs file and save it to your hard drive (you may want to right click and use Save Target As). Double-click the xp_hide_users.vbs file.  You will be prompted when the script is done.

If you hide an account, you can access it from the Welcome screen by pressing CTRL-ALT-DEL twice.  You'll get the older style logon dialog.  Type in the username and password.

To unhide a user, and make them show up on the Welcome Screen, download this script.

RE: Help!! // How to find out admin password on Windows XP by Nathan on 01-06-2006 at 02:22 PM

I have alreay hidden it ;) I want to hide it from here...
[Image: attachment.php?pid=587559]
I want an account hidden from there!!

Thanks for trying though!

EDIT: I've used that before and it works like a charm.

RE: Help!! // How to find out admin password on Windows XP by Adeptus on 01-06-2006 at 05:06 PM

The solution to your problem is in psychology rather than technology.

Instead of hacking your mom or begging for administrator privileges "just because", find some software that 1)won't run otherwise and 2)your mother would be inclined to let you run.  She will probably give up when faced with that.

It will be most effective if the program in question is needed for school work, or money has already been spent on it (e.g. get her permission to buy a game).

RE: Help!! // How to find out admin password on Windows XP by Nathan on 05-14-2006 at 07:55 AM

Sorry for reviving such a old thread but just thought I'd let  you know i got past it so easily by safe mode [Image: msn_tongue.gif]
It's really wierd  though I've  hidden  my accounts so well that I can't access  then anyway apart from going onto the actual account [Image: msn_tongue.gif] Problem is it got converted to Guest account :?:
And there's no way of converting it back

RE: RE: Help!! by shin madara on 03-25-2008 at 07:46 PM

do need to be an admin?

beacause i  cant logg in there just to the user that has an limited account :S

RE: Help!! // How to find out admin password on Windows XP by darkrej on 04-08-2008 at 02:34 PM

here to hide an account just follow these steps and walah..hirs the website...

http://www.intelliadmin.com/blog/2006/09/hide-use...om-windows-xp.html

i've tried this many times my mum doesn't even know that i have hidden a secret account. just use reg edit. just follow the instruction don't do anything else. good luck. hope this helps you solve problem.

RE: Help!! // How to find out admin password on Windows XP by andrewdodd13 on 04-08-2008 at 03:14 PM

Old old old thread.

Simple answer would be to use ophcrack. :)

RE: Help!! // How to find out admin password on Windows XP by Kellerdude4 on 11-11-2008 at 12:50 AM

Hey. I know the way.
I had this SAME EXACT PROBLEM. It sucks.
Okay
1. Turn off your computer (trust me)
2. Now, leave it off for like 10 seconds. Turn it on.
3. Now just keep pressing the F8 Key.
4. It will soon bring you to a screen with these random options. Click on the option that says safe mode. (It should already be on it)
5. Now, there will be another message about start-up style. There will probably be only one, and if there is more than one hit the one saying something about windows XP professional. (That is what you already have)
6. Voila! At the start-up screen, another account will be there... "Administrator" will now be with all the other accounts. (I know you don't want it to be like that, u dont want ur mom noticing.)
7. Now click on administrator, and it will have no needed password. (You may get a little popup box asking u sumthing, just say yes.)
8. Go to "Control Panel".
9. Hit "Edit accounts"
10. Hit "Change an account"
11. Now choose your account. (It should say it is a limited account)
12. And now, find "Change your account type." and switch it to Administrator. You are now an administrator, so apply the changes, and then turn off the computer. Turn it on normally like you always do, not on safe mode, and then hit your account.
You now have administrative abilities, and give ur mum a taste of her own medicine
make her limited. Lol she can find out how to be an administrator like u did.  LOL!

RE: Help!! // How to find out admin password on Windows XP by Jarrod on 11-11-2008 at 06:08 AM

or if the admin account has a password
http://www.loginrecovery.com/