Shoutbox

Hosting, the DIY way - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: Hosting, the DIY way (/showthread.php?tid=54268)

Hosting, the DIY way by stoshrocket on 12-26-2005 at 06:23 PM

Ok, got a cool host (traxor) but im just building my new computer at the moment, and i want to transfer to that one in a month or so, and at the same time, hopefully start to host myself.
I've searched for all topics on hosting, looked at all 24pages of the results and cant find anything.
I would just liket someone to explain, or link to a tutorial, on how to host yourself, with all the needs etc.... and yes, i HAVE googled it and cant find anything helpful. Thanks!

RE: Hosting, the DIY way by Mike on 12-26-2005 at 06:30 PM

Do you want to use your computer as a host?
If so, you can download XAMPP which is a program that installs Apache + PHP5 + MySQL and some other extensions too, so you can use your computer as a website host :)

Sorry if this is not want you asked for... :(

RE: Hosting, the DIY way by stoshrocket on 12-26-2005 at 06:36 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Mike
Do you want to use your computer as a host?
If so, you can download XAMPP which is a program that installs Apache + PHP5 + MySQL and some other extensions too, so you can use your computer as a website host :)

Sorry if this is not want you asked for... :(

im not too sure if i do to be honest.... lol, i want it so that i can host web spaces for myself and for other people using FTP, im not sure what to do to be honest, and also what other things will i need to do/have installed?
RE: Hosting, the DIY way by John Anderton on 12-26-2005 at 06:40 PM

According to what i understand mike is saying the correct thing :P
If you want to start off self hosting on a small scale you can try something like Easy Php

If you want to run an entire site then this is not your thing. It has some minor problems. if you need it for small time testing and stuff then its ok. Else you may want to get something better :)

RE: Hosting, the DIY way by stoshrocket on 12-26-2005 at 06:45 PM

i dont get it... :S

ok, to host people/myself i have so far figured out that i need:

• a fast connection
  • this php program

is everything like how to upload files via FTP and everything explained within the program, because i know nothing about hosting myself; im trying to get info so i can research it over the next month or so....

RE: Hosting, the DIY way by Mike on 12-26-2005 at 06:45 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Methos2
and also what other things will i need to do/have installed?
Well, nothing else (I think) because, this installs everything you need for you :)

quote:
and for other people using FTP
It also includes an FTP server..
I never tried to make accounts for other people, but I guess that you can do that, by creating a new account, which will have a new folder in the folder htdocs (this is the default folder where everything you store will be see-able from the internet) able to use the space you choose...

Also, read this thread: Installing PHP + MySQL on a windows machine?
I also wanted to install a webserver on my computer, but I didnt know how...
RE: Hosting, the DIY way by stoshrocket on 12-26-2005 at 06:48 PM

cool.... im guessing my computer is going to have to be constantly on.... *-) if so that might be a problem....

RE: Hosting, the DIY way by L. Coyote on 12-26-2005 at 06:51 PM

quote:
im not too sure if i do to be honest.... lol, i want it so that i can host web spaces for myself and for other people using FTP, im not sure what to do to be honest, and also what other things will i need to do/have installed?
To successfully run a site that might not be on all the time (unless you have an ISP which lets you connected for unlimited time), you will need:

- Apache (to serve pages; you can add Perl, PHP, MySQL, whatever). Just look around for tutorials (this one is for installing Apache + languages on Windows XP). (I do not recommend pre-configured packages for use as an actual server; usually they are meant for local testing).

- A service that will update your subdomain to your current IP (check no-ip.com, they DO have tutorials to help you set up Apache with their service, but it basically consists of changing localhost for the subdomain they give you).

But, honestly, a reseller account is much better than doing this. Plus, it will be always on, and you won't have to learn how to set up the different things you want your friends to be able to use.
RE: Hosting, the DIY way by stoshrocket on 12-26-2005 at 06:55 PM

quote:
Originally posted by .Fusion

ace! thanks mate!
RE: Hosting, the DIY way by John Anderton on 12-26-2005 at 07:09 PM

quote:
http://ikhost.net/free_reseller_web_hosting.html
Wtf O.o :|

* John Anderton applies for testing it out ....

I dont think it is actually everything that they say cause over the years ikhost have made some bold offers each better than the other. I have registered to quite a few of them but none of them acutally have come through so far :P
RE: Hosting, the DIY way by Mike on 12-26-2005 at 07:09 PM

quote:

I wanted to have a local mail server for myself, and I have tried some programs that allow you to host a mail server from your computer, however, every program was asking me to enter something about domains... :-/
I didnt know what to put there... My no-ip.com domain?
RE: Hosting, the DIY way by John Anderton on 12-26-2005 at 07:13 PM

quote:
quote:

I wanted to have a local mail server for myself, and I have tried some programs that allow you to host a mail server from your computer, however, every program was asking me to enter something about domains... :-/
I was wondering ..... mike why dont you try getting something like a nameserver thing. So till november atleast you can have a .be account ?? Then after that if you may choose to, you can get a domain name or just go back to your no-ip ;)
RE: Hosting, the DIY way by Mike on 12-26-2005 at 07:16 PM

quote:
Originally posted by John Anderton
quote:
quote:

I was wondering ..... mike why dont you try getting something like a nameserver thing. So till november atleast you can have a .be account ?? Then after that if you may choose to, you can get a domain name or just go back to your no-ip ;)
I would, if I had a credit card, or a paypal account... :(
Also, I dont want to have a cool website, just to test things :P
It would also be cool to send emails from my mobile phone using my own email server... :P
RE: Hosting, the DIY way by John Anderton on 12-26-2005 at 07:35 PM

quote:
I would, if I had a credit card, or a paypal account... Smilie
I just got another .be domain. Its free and requires nothing .... well ... just like that day a month back, you need to know your own (i mean no-ip's) name server(s) (if any :P)

lol i got my own hosting. I am willing to give people i know small testing places as long as they wont abuse the services. It is just a testing service :P
Mike ??
RE: Hosting, the DIY way by absorbation on 12-26-2005 at 09:20 PM

I suggest dempsey (if he gets the dam server teoubles fixed, 3rd server now eh) :P Provides all you need plus support at cheap prices. (or if dempsey's server does not come back go dreamhost for sure)

RE: Hosting, the DIY way by Plik on 12-26-2005 at 09:46 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Absorbation
I suggest dempsey (if he gets the dam server teoubles fixed, 3rd server now eh) :P Provides all you need plus support at cheap prices. (or if dempsey's server does not come back go dreamhost for sure)
Umm did you read the thread? Methos wants to know how to have a host on his own computer, he said that he already has hosting (with traxor)
RE: Hosting, the DIY way by John Anderton on 12-27-2005 at 04:16 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Absorbation
Relevance to the thread is ?? 8-) He wants to host himself and know everything he can about it ¬¬
Dodgy Absor :dodgy:
RE: Hosting, the DIY way by YourNeibour on 04-12-2006 at 05:04 PM

What type of specs should a server need it to host files or a webpage?

RE: Hosting, the DIY way by YottabyteWizard on 04-12-2006 at 06:10 PM

quote:
Originally posted by YourNeibour
What type of specs should a server need it to host files or a webpage?
A lot of ram, nothing special. and 24/7 access.

My system has this specs:
Motherboard: MSI KT4V
CPU: AMD XP 2500+ (overclocked to 2.02GHz)
RAM: 512 MB DDR400
Hard Drive: Wester Digital 250 GB 7200 RPM ATA (aka PATA)
Internet: DSL 512 kbps download / 128 kbps upload

And still it works great, but I could see the difference of performance of my computer if I had a better internet connection... :'(
RE: Hosting, the DIY way by Mike on 04-12-2006 at 06:21 PM

quote:
Originally posted by YottabyteWIzard
A lot of ram
Actually, apache works fine with a Pentium III 1.06 GHz and 252MB RAM (graphics card steals some) :)
RE: Hosting, the DIY way by Ezra on 04-12-2006 at 08:39 PM

You can use software to manage the accounts and ftp and all like this:
Plesk, This one is only for unix btw.

But if you want to run a stable webserver you should switch to linux/unix anyway... :P