Shoutbox

Theme query - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: Theme query (/showthread.php?tid=54270)

Theme query by ipab on 12-26-2005 at 07:44 PM

Does anyone know where to find this theme. I'm a bit desperate. Perhaps even a vista msstyles is okay. I will go through the trouble of porting it.

[Image: attachment.php?pid=582657]

RE: Theme query by Mike on 12-26-2005 at 08:13 PM

This is actually KoL_'s WindowBlinds5 theme (that means that you need WB5 to use this theme)
Im actually using it...
KoL_ deleted this theme from everywhere he had uploaded, because Microsoft requested him to. (for more information check this: http://blog.salamandersoftware.co.uk/archive/2005/12/15/608.aspx )

Maybe, if you search google, you can find it... :-/

RE: Theme query by ipab on 12-26-2005 at 08:15 PM

what version is it. 3.0?

RE: Theme query by Mike on 12-26-2005 at 08:18 PM

quote:
Originally posted by ipab
what version is it. 3.0?
Yes
RE: Theme query by stoshrocket on 12-26-2005 at 08:29 PM

alot of people were annoyed that microsoft did this, and in retaliation, alot of people zipped in with replacement themes, such as this very similar theme.... :refuck:

get it quick!

not too sure but i think its a VS one, its a .rar file anyway.... 8-)

RE: Theme query by John Anderton on 12-27-2005 at 04:45 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Methos2
alot of people were annoyed that microsoft did this, and in retaliation, alot of people zipped in with replacement themes, such as this very similar theme.... :refuck:

get it quick!

Downloading it already :refuck:
Why did ms object ?? Cause its a vista theme ??
Btw, if has to be a powerful theme (not just a simple xp theme) then it needs wb5 so it will be a .wba not a vs :)
RE: Theme query by stoshrocket on 12-27-2005 at 11:20 AM

quote:
Originally posted by John Anderton
quote:

get it quick!

Downloading it already :refuck:
Why did ms object ?? Cause its a vista theme ??
Btw, if has to be a powerful theme (not just a simple xp theme) then it needs wb5 so it will be a .wba not a vs :)

they asked him to remove simply because of copyright reasons, it used alot of microsoft logos and images, copyrighted to microsoft, and they simply didnt want themes linking to the new project out in the open.... btw, its not a .wba, so im not sure how to use it, its simply a .rar, and i dont know how to excecute it :(
RE: Theme query by rav0 on 12-27-2005 at 11:38 AM

The extension rar is used for a type of archive named RAR. Simply put, it is an alternative ZIP, better than ZIP IMO.

The official software to utilise RAR can be found at the WinRAR website. WinZIP claims to be able to use RAR archives, but often fails, and won't let you know, so there will be files that are in the archive that you wouldn't know existed if you use WinZIP to open RAR archives.

In the deviation linked by Methos2, the RAR download contains Vista.wba, which is for use with WindowsBlinds (what is the file type called? I've only use WindowsBlinds for a bit)

Update
After a bit of digging around, it seems to me that there was a WindowsBlinds edition of VistaXP, and a Microsoft Visual Style edition. The latest WindowsBlinds edition was v3.0 and the latest Microsoft Visual Style edition was v2.0.

RE: Theme query by stoshrocket on 12-27-2005 at 11:59 AM

quote:
Originally posted by rav0
The extension rar is used for a type of archive named RAR. Simply put, it is an alternative ZIP, better than ZIP IMO.

The official software to utilise RAR can be found at the WinRAR website. WinZIP claims to be able to use RAR archives, but often fails, and won't let you know, so there will be files that are in the archive that you wouldn't know existed if you use WinZIP to open RAR archives.

In the deviation linked by Methos2, the RAR download contains Vista.wba, which is for use with WindowsBlinds (what is the file type called? I've only use WindowsBlinds for a bit)

ahh.. ok, cool, thanks mate!

can someone extract it for me please, i dont want to pay $27 for one style, so can someone please extract it for me please (a) thankyou!
RE: Theme query by rav0 on 12-27-2005 at 12:56 PM

You can get an evaluation version of WinRAR for free from the WinRAR website.

You are going to come across many more RAR archives in the future, but I've attached emailed the theme as a ZIP archive for to you :).

RE: Theme query by John Anderton on 12-27-2005 at 01:25 PM

I applied that theme and my pc froze. TWICE !!!!

I am back to my original theme and even after a reboot, even a simple right click takes about 5 seconds :-/
What do you recommend i do .... Clear out my ram (With rambooster or something ?)
Help quick :P

So this is a note to anyone who may have win xp on a p3 1 ghz processor with 256mb sd ram BEWARE !!

RE: Theme query by stoshrocket on 12-27-2005 at 01:28 PM

:lol: i dont think your computer is even meant to be skinned :lol:
ive got a moderate computer, P4, 512mb RAM, maybe run a system clean-up and do a d-frag maybe? just a suggestion.... :huh:

RE: RE: Theme query by rav0 on 12-27-2005 at 01:58 PM

quote:
Originally posted by John Anderton
Clear out my ram (With rambooster or something ?)
RAM optimisers do nothing good for your system. What most do is start taking up enourmous amounts of RAM, forcing the OS to push everything else out of physical RAM and into swap/page file. The self proclaimed "optimiser" then frees up all the memory it was using, and you are left with all your applications in swapfile instead of physical RAM. This is why if an "optimiser" shows you a memory usage graph, the graph almost hits the top, and the comes back down.

RAM is the fastest (excepting CPU caches) memory your computer has. That's it; the fastest. In miniscule amounts of time, data in RAM is used by the CPU. The much slower swapfile is just a reserve to be used when more RAM is required than the total available.

Ideally, you want your RAM to be close to full, for the best performance, because it's the fastest there is. If you run out of RAM, the OS will shift the least accessed bits of code out of physical RAM into swap.

An "optimser" tips all this upside does, moving nearly all of the used memory off fast physical RAM, onto much slower swap. The freed up memory which it tells you will be the amount of physical RAM that is now wasted, because if the "optimiser" hadn't expanded itself taking up lost of RAM, your productive appilcations would be on physical RAM, which is where they perform best, due to the greatly increased speed of accessing physical RAM compared to swapfile on hard disk.

Ummm ... so about your computer crashing ... use the VS edition if you can find it (and let us know where to get it), or use the beattiful "Windows XP, Blue (default)" VS instead :p.
RE: Theme query by John Anderton on 12-27-2005 at 01:59 PM

quote:
:lol: i dont think your computer is even meant to be skinned :lol:
ive got a moderate computer, P4, 512mb RAM, maybe run a system clean-up and do a d-frag maybe? just a suggestion.... :huh:
wb5 works quite nicely on my pc and on mike's pc which has more processes running than mine and has a slower processor.
kthxdie.
:P

quote:
Originally posted by rav0

Ummm ... so about your computer crashing ... use the VS edition if you can find it (and let us know where to get it), or use the beattiful "Windows XP, Blue (default)" VS instead Smilie.
Im back to my xmpc :P It didnt crash btw, it just froze. And was slow to react :P
Now everything works perfectly except all explorer related actions are too slow.

All ram consumption is normal. The only thing is that whenever i perform an explorer related funtion the "processess" run by explorer jump from 0-49-72-49-32-7(actual display instant)-0
I thought it might be some cache memory problem or something ?

EDIT: I know about the ram usage system and in acutallity it slows your pc but the thing is, where is all the cache info for explorer stored. The ram or the system cache memory.
If its the earlier, thats why i wanted to clear it so it'd be slow for sometime but eventually itd be back to its normal position :P
If its the latter then tell me how to clear it :P I have like 1008 mb of page file memory dedicated but it uses anywhere between 92(latent) - 108 - 132 (both normal) - 208 (higher limit)