Shoutbox

Worried about router - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: Worried about router (/showthread.php?tid=54356)

Worried about router by Nathan on 12-29-2005 at 10:37 AM

Hiya all,
We have upgraded for the NETGEAR wired router to the wireless one (DG834GT)
My mum is worried about our next door neighbour stealing  our internet
We are a detchated house and our next door neighbour is about 20meteres away.
Is there away to stop them or Or wont the signal go that far?
Thanks in advance
Msg Plus Freak

RE: Worried about router by Chestah on 12-29-2005 at 10:40 AM

Use WEP or WPA encyption. Logon to your router using 192.168.0.1 (thats the default) and enter your username and password. Which is default User: "admin" Pass: "password".

You'll find in there settings for this encyption. You can also setup "access lists" which basicially limit computers by their MAC address - meaning the only computers on that list can access the wireless network. :)

RE: Worried about router by Nathan on 12-29-2005 at 10:43 AM

But would that router reach 20/25 metres?

To- Chesah: Thanks I'll try that.

RE: Worried about router by Chestah on 12-29-2005 at 10:45 AM

Yes it would :), it reaches alot further! Possibly 50m +, i get a weak signal about 50m away from my router through double brick walls :P

RE: Worried about router by Nathan on 12-29-2005 at 10:47 AM

Dam and cool:P Thats good but bad :P
I'll try encryption!

RE: Worried about router by stoshrocket on 12-29-2005 at 10:47 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Msg Plus Freak
But would that router reach 20/25 metres?

To- Chesah: Thanks I'll try that.

yes, if it is an unprotected connection it is very easy to logon to the router from a different house, our neighbours do it (i live in the same type house ~ detached with 20ish metres gap between walls) but they have the IQ of chavs and therefore not on purpose. The simple answer is to a/. make it a secured connection like chestah said, or, only switch the router on whilst you need to connect upto the internet and connected straight away.

i need to speed up my typing :dodgy: lol :p
RE: Worried about router by M73A on 12-29-2005 at 10:49 AM

just use a type of encyption method and forget about your neighbours gaining access..... i did!

RE: Worried about router by stoshrocket on 12-29-2005 at 10:52 AM

quote:
Originally posted by M73A
just use a type of encyption method and forget about your neighbours gaining access..... i did!

id rather log into their connection then switch ours off... they wonder what happened and spend an hour just thinking what to do... its funny...
RE: Worried about router by CookieRevised on 12-29-2005 at 10:55 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Methos2
The simple answer is to a/. make it a secured connection like chestah said, or b/. only switch the router on whilst you need to connect upto the internet and connected straight away.
The simple answer is simply option a only, not "or b".

option b would be the same as stating: I'm only going to swim in that shark infested pool for only 1 minute.

(or closer to home: I'm only going to connect to the internet for just a minute, so I don't need any windows xp patches (and you'll know how fast the Blaster worm will infect you)).

:p

If you have a wireless router, always encrypt the connection and restrict access. That shouldn't even be a recommendation, but a mandatory thing to do.

;)
RE: Worried about router by Mentality on 12-29-2005 at 11:38 AM

exactly, why would you not have security. the software that comes with wirless internet really should have auto run software that makes you set up a password. if it doesnt come up then people don;t even know they have an option.

mines set on WEP, it would be WPA, but then my psp wouldnt be able to connect.

RE: Worried about router by stoshrocket on 12-29-2005 at 11:46 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Mentality
exactly, why would you not have security. the software that comes with wirless internet really should have auto run software that makes you set up a password. if it doesnt come up then people don;t even know they have an option.

mines set on WEP, it would be WPA, but then my psp wouldnt be able to connect.

that was my situation.... it doesnt appear as an option in the auto-setup and you have to manually swtich it on, atleast now ive got an encrypted connection, thanks!
RE: Worried about router by Nathan on 12-29-2005 at 12:36 PM

What does WEP stand for?
And what does WPA Stand for?

RE: Worried about router by Jhrono on 12-29-2005 at 01:15 PM

WEP and WPA are different kind of encryptions so you can secure your wireless lan

quote:
What does WEP stand for?
Wired Equivalent Privacy
quote:
Wi-Fi Protected Access
RE: Worried about router by Nathan on 12-29-2005 at 01:18 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Johny
WEP and WPA are different kind of encryptions so you can secure your wireless lan
quote:
What does WEP stand for?
Wired Equivalent Privacy
quote:
Wi-Fi Protected Access

Ahhhh, I'll be using the WEP then :P

RE: Worried about router by Jhrono on 12-29-2005 at 01:33 PM

quote:
Ahhhh, I'll be using the WEP then
actually i think WPA is more effective, but remember to check if your wireless adapter is compatible with the security you choose!
RE: Worried about router by Nathan on 12-29-2005 at 01:41 PM

It cam with one 108mbps USB adapter

RE: Worried about router by Ezra on 12-29-2005 at 01:59 PM

I would use WPA if I were you, if you can then why not.

I can't cause the Nintendo DS can't work with WPA :(

RE: Worried about router by Nathan on 12-29-2005 at 02:31 PM

Thanks everybody for the great help!

RE: Worried about router by Chestah on 12-29-2005 at 10:02 PM

WPA > WEP In terms of security and useability. I do agree with cookie, encryption should be mandatory. Infact i'm pretty sure my netgear wireless router asked me what type during install.

If your really worried about your neighbour the greatest length of security you could go to is this:

Enabling WPA (which you should already have on)

Using the "Access List" - Restricting MAC addresses (basicially computers) to computers that have been allowed by you in the router settings page.

and disabling the broadcast of your SSID (your network name). When you scan for wireless networks only networks appear that have SSID broadcasting enabled, if you disable it when users scan for wireless networks in your area they simply see nothing. To connect you need to type in the SSID of your network as it will not appear when scanning.

With those very secure settings (overthetop but if you want to be really cautious.) if a user wants to connect they basicially need to find out the SSID of your network, enter the correct password of your encryption and then also have been allowed access by you in the "Access List" of your router's settings.

In response to PSP's only having WEP, maybe you should upgrade your firmware as my cousins has WPA compatability and he connected to my network fine with it .

RE: Worried about router by Super Dude on 12-30-2005 at 01:02 AM

You could also try contacting your ISP, find out the IP address of your neightbours, and block their IP/mac address/numbers. My parents do this to me  so that i don't use the internet on my laptop after 12am on weekdays (because i would otherwise just stay up downloading and would be too tired to go to school in the morning :-P )

RE: Worried about router by Jhrono on 12-30-2005 at 03:44 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Super Dude
You could also try contacting your ISP, find out the IP address of your neightbours, and block their IP
What ? When you connect to a wireless network you don't submit your Internet Connection's IP, or any other!! So external IP's have nothing to do with it..
RE: Worried about router by Super Dude on 12-30-2005 at 04:13 AM

You do submit your MAC address, and an ISP can block specific MAC addresses from using the connection at different times of the day (or just block the connection out right).

You're right about the IP address though. My bad. I'm was thinking something else ;-)

RE: Worried about router by Chestah on 12-30-2005 at 04:19 AM

Isn't that a major invasion of privacy? :S "Oh, can you just tell me all my neighbours MAC addresses". I'm not sure about other countries but in Australia they wouldn't tell you. :P

RE: Worried about router by Jhrono on 12-30-2005 at 04:44 AM

Yeh i'm pretty sure you wont get their mac adress

RE: Worried about router by Super Dude on 12-30-2005 at 05:02 AM

No... its only if they are piggy-backing off your internet. Their computer will send a MAC address to your ISP, and your ISP can take that address and block a computers ability to use the internet using your IP (thus they can't use the internet using your wireless internet).

You won't physicly be told their MAC address, but the ISP has it and can use that information to stop a person(s) from using your internet (granted they have already). If your neighbour hasn't piggy backed off your internet before, then your ISP won't have their MAC address.

RE: Worried about router by Underlord on 12-30-2005 at 05:54 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Super Dude
No... its only if they are piggy-backing off your internet. Their computer will send a MAC address to your ISP, and your ISP can take that address and block a computers ability to use the internet using your IP (thus they can't use the internet using your wireless internet).

You won't physicly be told their MAC address, but the ISP has it and can use that information to stop a person(s) from using your internet (granted they have already). If your neighbour hasn't piggy backed off your internet before, then your ISP won't have their MAC address.
Explain to me how the ISP gets their MAC address when you're using NAT.
RE: Worried about router by Super Dude on 12-30-2005 at 08:16 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Underlord
Explain to me how the ISP gets their MAC address when you're using NAT.

If my memory serves me correctly, a NAT allows one IP address to represent an entire group of computers.

Nodes that accesses an ISP have a unique MAC address within their network adapter(s). This allows the ISP to distinguish how many computers are acessing the internet , and also allow them to discontinue service to certain computes by blocking service to specific MAC addresses on the one IP address.

The only way (that i know of anyways) to stop this is by using a MAC clone, which masks every computer accessing an outside network with the exact same MAC address, thus hiding the individual computers using the network.
RE: Worried about router by Nathan on 12-30-2005 at 08:44 AM

So if i was to use wpa then how would i find out my psp's mac address?

RE: Worried about router by Eljay on 12-30-2005 at 09:21 AM

quote:
So if i was to use wpa then how would i find out my psp's mac address?

in the psp browser in one of the menus theres an option "Display connection information" and it will be on there.
RE: Worried about router by Anubis on 12-30-2005 at 09:30 AM

quote:

Ahhhh, I'll be using the WEP then
Like others, I'd advice you to use WPA instead of WEP. WPA is more secure and quicker to setup properly.
WEP encyption can be broken by packet sniffing, I've heard of 128bit WEP encypted networks being broken into in under 15 minutes.