Shoutbox

Is it good? - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: Is it good? (/showthread.php?tid=54368)

Is it good? by Lou on 12-29-2005 at 06:25 PM

I am buying myself a new computer this afternoon and I need to know from you people if it's good.

All I use my computer for is counter strike [not very important] and Photoshop and similiar programs [such as fireworks]

I also need space for my files for my site and this hard drive is 100 go so its enough. Other than that, I would probably get myself a second 512 mb ram card.

>>Click here to see the computer

Your opinion?

quote:
Product Features

* AMD Sempron 3100+ Processor & 2.8GHz Processor Speed
    * 100GB Ultra DMA Hard Drive
    * 512MB DDR SDRAM memory for multitasking power, expandable to 2GB.
    * Dual Layer DVD Burner
    * Integrated Intel Extreme Graphics With Up To 64MB Shared Video Memory
    * I/O Ports: 5 x USB 2.0 (1 Front, 4 Back), 2 x Firewire IEEE 1394 (1 Front, 1 Back), 9-In-1 Memory Card Reader
    * Windows XP Home Edition operating system preinstalled; software package includes Microsoft Works 8, Microsoft Money, Quicken 2005, Adobe Reader 6.0, Apple iTunes For Windows, Sonic DigitalMedia Plus, InterVideo WinDVD 5 Player

Please Note: This product only contains English and French operating instructions and system software.

See the above link for more information. Offer ends next week but I am buying today.
RE: Is it good? by Menthix on 12-29-2005 at 06:32 PM

There is no AGP slot in there? Because I think you would have more value for an AGP graphics card instead of 512MB RAM extra. A 64MB shared card isn't that great. Even when you buy 512MB extra, your graphics card will stay the bottleneck.

RE: Is it good? by Jhrono on 12-29-2005 at 06:35 PM

quote:
Originally posted by MenthiX
There is no AGP slot in there? Because I think you would have more value for an AGP graphics card instead of 512MB RAM extra
Exactly, or better,a pci express slot and a pci-e card..

With a shared 64Mb card you won't play counter strike decently, at least source for sure ..

Save some more money and buy the pc later, don't rush or you'll end up buying something that'll need upgrades..
RE: Is it good? by Menthix on 12-29-2005 at 06:39 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Johny
pci express slot and a pci-e card.
Lol, i'm hanging in the past... PCI-E indeed :) (Good AGP cards are still fine too btw)

RE: Is it good? by Snake on 12-29-2005 at 06:40 PM

Ya I would look at something esle. That thing don't have enough "Balls" to do what you need it to.

RE: Is it good? by Jhrono on 12-29-2005 at 06:49 PM

quote:
Lol, i'm hanging in the past... PCI-E indeed  (Good AGP cards are still fine too btw)
i have an AGP card :$..
That's true, there's a version of 6600GT  on AGP iirc, per example :tongue:
RE: Is it good? by Lou on 12-29-2005 at 06:57 PM

I dont use counter strike source. and its better than this computer and this one does what it needs to.

I dont need the agp slots but I wouldn't mind having them for future use. However I have no intention to upgrade.

I will be using only the on board graphics card because this is all I need.

RE: Is it good? by Jhrono on 12-29-2005 at 07:02 PM

beware 64 onboard graphics, aren't equivalent to a 64Mb graphic card, they are far worse..

I've warned you,let's hope you don't regret

quote:
Save some more money and buy the pc later, don't rush or you'll end up buying something that'll need upgrades..
You are rushing..
RE: Is it good? by John Anderton on 12-29-2005 at 07:10 PM

I have only pci slots ..... the old ones ....
I cant get agp cards .....

quote:
beware 64 onboard graphics, aren't equivalent to a 64Mb graphic card, they are far worse..
farfarfarfarfar ..... (ctrl+v infinite times)
I have it on my pc cause back when i got my pc, i had no idea .... i regreted it a year later :P

Now i cant have agp cards cause i dont have agp slots. I heard there is a new type of pci card. I heard it is much better than agp and i should get a new mobo with that ??

Why isnt there an efficient solution to my already existing pci slot :sad:
RE: Is it good? by Lou on 12-29-2005 at 07:10 PM

no because I checked and it's exactly what I was looking for. All I need is 512mb ram more and it's fine for what I need it for. So I am NOT rushing. Thanks for the feedback though guys:)

RE: Is it good? by John Anderton on 12-29-2005 at 07:23 PM

quote:
Originally posted by lou_habs
no because I checked and it's exactly what I was looking for. All I need is 512mb ram more and it's fine for what I need it for. So I am NOT rushing. Thanks for the feedback though guys:)
But it doest have an agp slot. Trust me you'll regret it sooner rather than later :P

quote:
Integrated Intel Extreme Graphics
Thats what it has !!! For the love of god, please get an agp card. I hate myself everyday for having that peice of shit. I cant play anything on that computer. I am still stuck with fifa 2002-2003, counter-strike 1.6, unreal tournament 1.x and other games of that era :dodgy:
RE: Is it good? by Menthix on 12-29-2005 at 07:28 PM

quote:
I am NOT rushing
But why are you even asking our opinions then? If you're going to buy it today anyway.

Offtopic:
quote:
Originally posted by John Anderton
I heard there is a new type of pci card. I heard it is much better than agp and i should get a new mobo with that ??

Why isnt there an efficient solution to my already existing pci slot Smilie
PCI and PCI-E are very different from eachother, there is no way on earth you could get a PCI-E card communicating trough a PCI port. So yes, you will need a new mobo for a new graphic card in your case.
RE: Is it good? by John Anderton on 12-29-2005 at 07:42 PM

quote:
quote:
I am NOT rushing
But why are you even asking our opinions then? If you're going to buy it today anyway.

Offtopic:
quote:
I heard there is a new type of pci card. I heard it is much better than agp and i should get a new mobo with that ??

Why isnt there an efficient solution to my already existing pci slot Smilie
PCI and PCI-E are very different from eachother, there is no way on earth you could get a PCI-E card communicating trough a PCI port. So yes, you will need a new mobo for a new graphic card in your case.
1) tru.dat
You should have asked this say .... a week back :P Or atleast a few days :P
2) PCI-E > AGP > PCI right ?
wrt evolution of techonolgy and performance ? Which one is the best to get ?
RE: Is it good? by Menthix on 12-29-2005 at 07:50 PM

quote:
PCI-E > AGP > PCI right ?
right.

RE: Is it good? by Lou on 12-29-2005 at 08:07 PM

quote:
counter-strike 1.6
that's the one I have.
quote:
You should have asked this say .... a week back
got the thing yesterday. I just wanted your opinion. What I hear here, I heard before. I just wanted to know if there was anything else I missed.lol
RE: Is it good? by stoshrocket on 12-29-2005 at 09:12 PM

quote:

~ Today 06:25 PM

I am buying myself a new computer this afternoon and I need to know from you people if it's good.

quote:

~ Today 08:07 PM

got the thing yesterday. I just wanted your opinion.

:| in the space of two hours it went from yesterday to today, and you wanted advice so you could buy it between the two hours, yet it would have still been 'afternoon', :S

:dodgy:
RE: Is it good? by Chestah on 12-29-2005 at 09:48 PM

Well, to be honest i agree with Menthix. Your buying a computer that has 3.1ghz 64bit CPU (Fairly Powerful) and 1GB of ram. No matter what you do your going to be bottlenecked by the lack of a dedicated graphics card (which i recommend you make sure your motherboard has PCI-E for upgrading).

You also said you wish to use photoshop, fireworks etc. I can imagine they'd be sped up alot if you had a dedicated graphics card as well :P. Graphics cards don't only help games, they help alot of things - eg even in windows having a dedicated graphics card will dramatically speed up how smooth and fast windows are rendered.

Even if you bought a cheaper graphics card you'd still get dramatically increased performance compared to an integrated. Don't forget Vista is coming in the upcoming year and Microsoft recommend for a minimum that everyone has dedicated graphics card to take advantage of the new features of the OS.

So basicially, you can have the fastest CPU and lots of RAM but your computer is limited by its weakest part or the "weakest link" (so to speak). Your Integrated graphics is really going to slow down certain aspects of your comp and if you don't even buy a motherboard that has AGP or PCI then the lifetime of your computer will be decreased substantially.

RE: Is it good? by Lou on 12-30-2005 at 03:54 AM

when I said got the thing, I meant the flyer. Sorry.

I went and they had none left.

I'm now on a brand new celeron D with 512 mb ram, everything default stuff and this one has 2 agp slots for future use:P This thing is alot faster than my old one.

80gb hard drive btw.

RE: Is it good? by John Anderton on 12-30-2005 at 06:31 AM

Chestah's post = Enlarged version of mine lol

If your gfx card aint that good there are lotsa stuff you cant do. For eg, i cant use the winter packs that windows comes out with cause it needs a dedicated gfx card. I cant use windows xp screesavers (the extra ones available @ microsoft downloads) cause they need a dedicaded card.

quote:
that's the one I have
You have no idea how old that it :P I have CS: CZ (Counter Strike Condition Zero) and that lags everynow and then. Guess why i kill 2 people and then get head-shotted ??
Even CS: S (Counter Strike: Source) is out and i havent even seen it yet :|
Not to mention that anything after nfs: hp 2 doesnt work and nfs: hp2 itself lags :P

quote:
I'm now on a brand new celeron
*cough* 8-) *cough*

quote:
quote:
PCI-E > AGP > PCI right ?
right.
RE: Is it good? by Nathan on 12-30-2005 at 08:58 AM

I personally wouldt reccomend Comapaq Cause there always going wrong. Most of the poeple I know who has had a compaq Wasnt impressed, You could biuld your own then you get what you want.

RE: Is it good? by Lou on 12-30-2005 at 01:52 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Msg Plus Freak
I personally wouldt reccomend Comapaq Cause there always going wrong. Most of the poeple I know who has had a compaq Wasnt impressed, You could biuld your own then you get what you want.
I bought something else.

I have cs and cs:cz and It's fine. I don't need higher because this is what I wanted on this computer anyway. Only thing is, yesterday I got a late Xmas present, the Matrix: The path of Neo, and it doesn't seem to work on here. That doesn't matter though because I will buy a graphics card later. As for counter strike, I will test if it works today:P
RE: Is it good? by brian on 12-30-2005 at 01:57 PM

It's a Celeron D tho, dual-core!