Shoutbox

help getting a processor off my motherboard - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: help getting a processor off my motherboard (/showthread.php?tid=54382)

help getting a processor off my motherboard by [MR] on 12-30-2005 at 05:54 AM

ok well i want to switch processors with one of computers.  the problem is that the intel prentuim 2 is so big i cant tell how to take it out.  if it was a normal small processor then there would be no problem.  i have unscrewed it already and it has these pushy handle things but ive already tried to get it out and dont know how. i have looked on intel's site and noting and im trying to google now while i wait for an answer.  thanks.

RE: help getting a processor off my motherboard by Underlord on 12-30-2005 at 06:23 AM

Can you take a picture or something so that we can see what you're talking about?

Edit: Would it be possible to swap the motherboard with the other computer, instead of removing to processors?

RE: help getting a processor off my motherboard by [MR] on 12-30-2005 at 06:38 AM

[Image: intel_pentium_2_266mhz_processor.jpg]

[Image: 0a_2.JPG]

[Image: tn-pentium2_hs.jpg]
those are some pics i found on google. 
i would switch MoBo but its really hard to get the MoBo off the case.

RE: help getting a processor off my motherboard by Underlord on 12-30-2005 at 06:43 AM

So you're refering to the heatsink/fan, not the actual processor?
Are you sure the other processor is compatible with your motherboard?

RE: help getting a processor off my motherboard by [MR] on 12-30-2005 at 06:54 AM

actually i dont know if it is compapable at all...i just need a new processor...and a mother board too so i can recognize all my RAM...so should i just switch the MoBos?  and would it fit correctly in there too?

RE: help getting a processor off my motherboard by Underlord on 12-30-2005 at 06:56 AM

It should fit in correctly and I think it'd be easier and safer to do it that way. :)

RE: help getting a processor off my motherboard by TylerG on 12-30-2005 at 07:00 AM

That should hold you off till I give you mine when I get a new one:P

RE: help getting a processor off my motherboard by [MR] on 12-30-2005 at 06:56 PM

well this is a big mess.  uhh well the motherboard sorta fits...i had to bend to metal so it would fit but it does...its aligned to only one screw will screw in to the case but thats fine with me.  well first i had the IDE cables plugged in the MoBo and then i turned the computer on and the bios said that there was a configuration error. and the 3.5 floppy drive's light just stays solid it wont turn off.  so then i turned the IDE cables ppluged it backwards...so i started the computer and the bios stopped the configuration error thing .  but when messing with the cables the 3.5 floppy drive's power outlet broke off :dodgy:  i have an extra drive to replace that tho...but in the meantime i just unplugged it.  then i restarted the computer and there was just one error left b/c my moust is usb and not ps/2 so thats nothing to worry about but usually it will say press F1 for options and enter to continue.  but ther was not continue so i press F1 and it seems to be frozen there at that point.  itwill not go to the bios options and all that stuff it is just frozen.  im not sure if i have all the little wires plugged in correct;y (the green red and the yellow and the speaker one).  thanks.

EDIT:  just to let you know that the IDE outlets on the motherboardhave no plastic around them...they are just the prongs sticking out.

EDIT2: i need to know how to plug in the power LED and the speaker plug...also the power sw reset sw and the HDD LED.

thanks.

RE: help getting a processor off my motherboard by Ezra on 12-30-2005 at 08:06 PM

Check you MoBo manual for that stuff :)

RE: help getting a processor off my motherboard by [MR] on 12-30-2005 at 08:08 PM

i would if i could...its the computer i got out of the trash so there in no manual.

where is cookie when u need him

RE: help getting a processor off my motherboard by Ezra on 12-30-2005 at 08:21 PM

quote:
Originally posted by [MR
]i would if i could...its the computer i got out of the trash so there in no manual.

Cookie will tell you the same, the connectors are rarely on the same place on Motherboards, that's why you get a big manual with it :P

Try looking on the internet for the manual if you can find out the mobo serial, with Lavalys or looking if you see anything on the mobo itself.
RE: help getting a processor off my motherboard by [MR] on 12-30-2005 at 08:34 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Ezra
quote:
Originally posted by [MR
]i would if i could...its the computer i got out of the trash so there in no manual.

Cookie will tell you the same, the connectors are rarely on the same place on Motherboards, that's why you get a big manual with it :P

Try looking on the internet for the manual if you can find out the mobo serial, with Lavalys or looking if you see anything on the mobo itself.
nevermiond i sloved that problem...i followed the map on my MoBo to put those in.  then i got it to get passed the bios and then there was just a blinking underscore so i remembered that from previous times with my nvidia graphics card...that MoBo doesnt support it so i have to use the MoBo's graphics card.  so now im reinstalling windows xp.  thanks anyways...now i cant wait to get tylerG's MoBo so i can have a good graphics card too.

EDIT:  nothing worked out right i undid all that i did last night and this morning.