Shoutbox

How (to know when MsgPlus is updated) - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+---- Forum: WLM Plus! Help (/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+----- Thread: How (to know when MsgPlus is updated) (/showthread.php?tid=54383)

How (to know when MsgPlus is updated) by Janelle25n on 12-30-2005 at 06:03 AM

Hello,
Im sorry if this type of question doesnt belong here.. but i didnt know where else to ask this. :)

I am currently running messenger 7.5.0311 - and i just installed the new messenger plus I was wondering when we will know that the messenger plus will be updated?  - i mean is there anywhere on messenger itself where we can check? 
Thanks

RE: How (to know when MsgPlus is updated) by John Anderton on 12-30-2005 at 06:14 AM

MessengerPlus! has an auto update function so it'll tell you when updates are available. Also if you go to the messenger plus! download page you will see that there it shows you the current version. You could always check that with the version you have to cross check if you have the latest version if you are wondering if the version you have is the latest one :)

RE: How (to know when MsgPlus is updated) by Janelle25n on 12-30-2005 at 06:31 AM

Oh okay, Thanks :) I didnt know it will update on its own.. - is it ever possible that we dont get the auto update? - how will we know when there is one, and also where could we go to recieve the latest version?

RE: How (to know when MsgPlus is updated) by John Anderton on 12-30-2005 at 06:39 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Janelle25n
Oh okay, Thanks :) I didnt know it will update on its own.. - is it ever possible that we dont get the auto update? - how will we know when there is one, and also where could we go to recieve the latest version?
I already showed you a link lol :P

quote:
Originally posted by John Anderton
Also if you go to the messenger plus! download page you will see that there it shows you the current version.
;)
The latest version is  Messenger Plus! 3.62.146 and was released on released Dec. 20th 2005 (You can see it on that page ^^)
RE: How (to know when MsgPlus is updated) by Ezra on 12-30-2005 at 07:45 AM

Also I believe there will be no more updates untill the newest WLM (Windows Live Messenger) version of Plus! (MP!L 4.00) comes out. I don't know if that one will show up on the auto-updater either cause it's a new version rewritten from scratch.

RE: How (to know when MsgPlus is updated) by Mike on 12-30-2005 at 07:59 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Ezra
I don't know if that one will show up on the auto-updater either cause it's a new version rewritten from scratch.
If you are using WLM, then it will check for new MP!L versions :)
RE: How (to know when MsgPlus is updated) by Sunshine on 12-30-2005 at 12:19 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Mike
quote:
Originally posted by Ezra
I don't know if that one will show up on the auto-updater either cause it's a new version rewritten from scratch.
If you are using WLM, then it will check for new MP!L versions :)
Plus! Live will be WLM only, how can there be an auto-updater for the first version of Plus! Live (auto-updaters require a version to be there already)....

More info about Plus! Live can be found in:
Announced: Messenger Plus! Live 4.00
In this post the new site is also mentioned already, http://msgpluslive.net
RE: How (to know when MsgPlus is updated) by Menthix on 12-30-2005 at 12:29 PM

quote:
If you are using WLM, then it will check for new MP!L versions Smilie
Doesn't have to be like that. I don't know if Patchou already planned anything on how to manage this. I believe the auto-update function doesn't send any version numbers to the auto-update server. So it can't detect what MSN/WLM version you are using. So either everybody will receive a auto-update message about MP!L, including people on Windows 98 who can't run MP!L in the first place. Or Patchou disables auto-update for the MP!L release and everybody should get it manually.

But Patchou is really the only one who can tells us for sure, maybe he has a nice solution :).
RE: How (to know when MsgPlus is updated) by Eljay on 12-30-2005 at 12:36 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Sunshine

Plus! Live will be WLM only, how can there be an auto-updater for the first version of Plus! Live (auto-updaters require a version to be there already)....

i think thats what the recent update for MP! was for, so it checks for an MP!L version if its running on WLM
RE: How (to know when MsgPlus is updated) by Sunshine on 12-30-2005 at 12:38 PM

quote:
Originally posted by MenthiX
quote:
If you are using WLM, then it will check for new MP!L versions Smilie
Doesn't have to be like that. I don't know if Patchou already planned anything on how to manage this. I believe the auto-update function doesn't send any version numbers to the auto-update server. So it can't detect what MSN/WLM version you are using. So either everybody will receive a auto-update message about MP!L, including people on Windows 98 who can't run MP!L in the first place. Or Patchou disables auto-update for the MP!L release and everybody should get it manually.

But Patchou is really the only one who can tells us for sure, maybe he has a nice solution :).
That will be more like a notification popup then (telling people if they have/want to use WLM that there is a version of Plus! for that aswell)..as it can't update the current Messenger Plus! (this version does not work on WLM and will still co-exist).
RE: How (to know when MsgPlus is updated) by CookieRevised on 01-02-2006 at 02:36 PM

Note that the update checking is done by retrieving the latest available build number from a simple web file. This retrieved build number is compared to the currently installed build (which is stored in the registry btw).

But Patchou can also add extra lines to this simple web text file other than only a build number. eg: to give a notification if an important and heavy bug is found which requires immediate update.

The whole system for Messenger Plus! Live is exactly the same (though it is a different text file which is looked up). Also the "old" version of Messenger Plus! is capable of looking up this new web text file for Messenger Plus! Live an thus is in theory also able to give you a warning and/or update dialog in case there is a new Plus! Live version.

quote:
is it ever possible that we dont get the auto update?
Yes, but only if you turned off the auto-update feature or if you manually changed the build number in the registry (which is used to compare against the retrieved build number from the web).

quote:
how will we know when there is one
If you didn't do anything special (turning the auto-update off or edited the registry manually) you will be notified with the auto-update dialog popping up.

quote:
I didnt know it will update on its own
It never will! It will only show you that there is an update available, nothing more. It will always give you the choice to update or not. And only when you explicitly agreed to update, the latest version is downloaded and the setup is started.

Plus! will never auto-update automatically, or even download a new version all by itself.

Also note that the setup being downloaded during an auto-update is exactly the same file which you always can download manually from the download page. It is the very same file...