Shoutbox

WLM causing system reboot? - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Skype & Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+----- Thread: WLM causing system reboot? (/showthread.php?tid=54424)

WLM causing system reboot? by DJKAL on 12-31-2005 at 10:20 AM

i have been running WLM for a few weeks now {2 i think :S ish!}
and now problems
but last night my system re-booted for no reason, several times
i was using it this morning with WLM running
and everything was ok ...no reboot,
but when i start WLM and sign in with less than 5 minutes my computer reboots
im now using MSN messenegr 7.5 again and my syustem is running fine!
is there any reason for this?
i have uninstalled it and reinstaled
repaired it through control panel { control panel > add/remove > WLM 8.0 > change > repair}

i have windows XP home edition
service pack 2
was using WLM8.0

please help!

RE: WLM causing system reboot? by Hank on 12-31-2005 at 10:29 AM

how come your reporting that here an not in the newsgroups?

RE: WLM causing system reboot? by DJKAL on 12-31-2005 at 10:31 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Animal

how come your reporting that here an not in the newsgroups?

what newsgroups :$?:<
RE: WLM causing system reboot? by Hank on 12-31-2005 at 11:43 AM

you mean you dont know about the connect Newsgroups? .. go to the connect website an sign into your passport an then i think its click " My Participation" an then click on the Windows Live Messenger" an then i think its to setup the account, click on " Community" ,

RE: RE: WLM causing system reboot? by DJKAL on 12-31-2005 at 11:46 AM

quote:
you mean you dont know about the connect Newsgroups? .. go to the connect website an sign into your passport an then i think its click " My Participation" an then click on the Windows Live Messenger" an then i think its to setup the account, click on " Community" ,

no because i was invited, so i didnt think i had acses to any of this?
what is the site as i have uninstalled it from my pc now so i cant still use MSN
RE: WLM causing system reboot? by Hank on 12-31-2005 at 11:58 AM

umm the website, i really dont know if your invite you had  is still valid, if not maybe you dont have access to the NG's

RE: WLM causing system reboot? by DJKAL on 12-31-2005 at 12:06 PM

i got this site form an also invited mate but it says service not avaliable

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=gp;en-us;fmserror

RE: WLM causing system reboot? by Hank on 12-31-2005 at 12:12 PM

all you can do is maybe sit back an wait till its fixed or email wlm8 team or whatever the addy is about it , byw, your not using Norton Antivirus are you?

RE: WLM causing system reboot? by DJKAL on 12-31-2005 at 12:13 PM

quote:
your not using Norton Antivirus are you?

yes
* DJKAL looks sad and worried
RE: WLM causing system reboot? by Hank on 12-31-2005 at 12:14 PM

did you try disabling Norton?

RE: WLM causing system reboot? by DJKAL on 12-31-2005 at 12:15 PM

no ... but i cant see why this will cause my whole computer to switch off and back on,
its not jusst not being able to sign in or anything or i would have disable it

RE: WLM causing system reboot? by Hank on 12-31-2005 at 12:23 PM

well i can, being Norton its full of Bloat,,my mother has Norton, ( latest version of it on her pc ) it does the same thing, wont let you open anything , so try disabling it plus it reboots itself after it tries to get into the desktop

RE: WLM causing system reboot? by DJKAL on 12-31-2005 at 12:27 PM

iv NEVER had ANY problem with norton and iv ALWAYS had it..always the latest and i use the FULL system pack ...with go back and ghost etc!
not once have i had problems or viruses for that matter! its the only antii virus id use.
its never given me problems before and i dont see why it would prove problems now when WLM is trusted software {as its from M$}

RE: WLM causing system reboot? by Hank on 12-31-2005 at 12:32 PM

quote:
Originally posted by DJKAL
WLM is trusted software {as its from M$}

i like that end bit , glad to see im not the only one to call them M$ , wonder if Guido saw that
RE: WLM causing system reboot? by DJKAL on 12-31-2005 at 12:34 PM

quote:
like that end bit , glad to see im not the only one to call them M$ , wonder if Guido saw that
:lol: i know lots of ppl who call it M$
we should make it official :>
but this is going off topic! :tongue:
RE: WLM causing system reboot? by RebelSean on 12-31-2005 at 09:01 PM

If you could, please provide me with EXACT reproduction steps to encouter this problem. If you do not have access to the private newsgroups then it is most likely you are a 2nd/3rd/4th generation tester. The only people who have access to the Connect bug form and the newsgroups are the 1st generation testers (EG, those invited by Microsoft).

I also need to know are you getting a BSOD? Also make sure you are using the LATEST build of WLM.

RE: WLM causing system reboot? by DJKAL on 12-31-2005 at 09:05 PM

quote:
Originally posted by XxRebelSeanxX

I also need to know are you getting a BSOD?

whats this :$?
quote:
LATEST build of WLM.
umm...i got the 1 from an email about 2 weeks ago, this the latest?
quote:
reproduction steps
this is hard :S
it has been running fine for 2 weeks or so and i have changed NOTHING no settings nothing:S and then my pc just restarted and as soon as i signed back into WLM it did it again and then again etc etc...i cant run WLM for more than 5 minutes without it rebooting my whole pc!
as i said i havent changed anything on my pc or WLM,
i ran a norton virus scan and it showed 2 so i dleted them but i dont know what they were because i just delete viruses!
RE: WLM causing system reboot? by RebelSean on 12-31-2005 at 09:19 PM

Indeed that is the latest. BSOD=Blue screen of death. Basically when a fatal error or something occurs, your screen will turn all blue with text on it saying what happened.

Do this:

Tools -> Options -> Connection -> Advanced Settings

Enable the logging, then when it happens send the file to me and I can get some folks at MS to look at it.

RE: WLM causing system reboot? by DJKAL on 12-31-2005 at 09:21 PM

no. i didnt have ther BSOD .. it just re-booted

could it have been a corrupt file placed in the share folder by another contact that caused this as it was fine up until i had  that set up between me and a contact ... didn't realise till he pointed it out!

RE: WLM causing system reboot? by RebelSean on 01-02-2006 at 03:52 AM

quote:
Originally posted by DJKAL
could it have been a corrupt file placed in the share folder by another contact that caused this as it was fine up until i had  that set up between me and a contact ... didn't realise till he pointed it out!

That may be the case but,

quote:

Do this:

Tools -> Options -> Connection -> Advanced Settings

Enable the logging, then when it happens send the file to me and I can get some folks at MS to look at it.

RE: WLM causing system reboot? by DJKAL on 01-02-2006 at 09:20 AM

quote:

ok ... i have enabled logging, but ti seems to be running fine {my mate who also is now using WLM is offline} the problem only seems to be since he has been using WLM ... should i DELETE our share folder now, while he is offline and see if when he is online next {tonight probaly!} WLM runs ok? whilst leaving logging enabled {where does the log get created?}
RE: WLM causing system reboot? by John Anderton on 01-02-2006 at 09:45 AM

@DJKAL:
If you donot have access to the NG's then you are just a wlm user basically :P (official ... unless you are an illegal user)

If you have access to NG's but didnt know about them, then thats dodgy :p

RE: WLM causing system reboot? by DJKAL on 01-02-2006 at 09:53 AM

quote:
Originally posted by John Anderton
@DJKAL:
If you donot have access to the NG's then you are just a wlm user basically :P (official ... unless you are an illegal user)

If you have access to NG's but didnt know about them, then thats dodgy :p

i was invited ... im an OFFICIAL user then

ok ... he is online now ...but i removed our share folder and it is runnoing fine:D:| ... must be aproblem in there somewhere...somehow!
and as i said, he formatted his PC so there aren't any corrupt files he's trying to share with me, and i've had those files in a share folder for ages, even thoguh he didn't have WLM, so i wouldn't forget when he got WLM {now} so i can't see that there was a corrupt file on my side - and i deleted all the files from the shared folder {and now have removed all share folders!} :S