Shoutbox

Sugg: Log encryption for old chat logs? - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+---- Forum: WLM Plus! General (/forumdisplay.php?fid=23)
+----- Thread: Sugg: Log encryption for old chat logs? (/showthread.php?tid=54471)

Sugg: Log encryption for old chat logs? by just_a_name on 01-01-2006 at 03:25 PM

It would be nice to have the option to encrypt old chat logs that were never originally encrypted, through MsgPlus so you wouldn't have to use a separate encryption program!

RE: Sugg: Log encryption for old chat logs? by qgroessl on 01-01-2006 at 03:59 PM

If they're all Msgplus! log files you should be able to do this... Go into the Plus! Preferences panel. Decrypt all your chat logs. Then re-encrypt them all.

I haven't tested this but I'm pretty sure it'll work.

RE: Sugg: Log encryption for old chat logs? by just_a_name on 01-01-2006 at 05:01 PM

Yeah that works to an extent - thanks! Unfortunately though I found a problem.

All my logfiles in the root folder were encrypted when I did this, along with those in the folder 'December 2005'.

Note I reinstalled Windows around December 20th, and no chatlogs / folders exist for September or November (was away).

It did not encrypt any chatlogs in the folders 'August 2005' (or 'September 2004' which happen to be randomly in there). These are folders/chatlogs created by msnplus, using the same msn account.

Hmmm.

And choose to unencrypt, only unencrypts those in the root directory now. Pain!

RE: Sugg: Log encryption for old chat logs? by Ezra on 01-01-2006 at 05:25 PM

Yeah, I don't think plus! encrypts old chats that have been archived.

And about the August/September thing, that has been fixed in the newest version I believe, had something to do with DST or something.

RE: Sugg: Log encryption for old chat logs? by sos119 on 01-14-2006 at 04:50 AM

That would be a great feature, if encryption of old chat logs would work, because my chat logs date back to 2002 and right now I don't encrypt any as it would be weird to have some encrypted and some not.

RE: Sugg: Log encryption for old chat logs? by Weyzza on 01-14-2006 at 08:20 AM

The way I do: move the unencrypted ones to My Chat Logs folder and set a password for them. When it's done, move the encrypted logs to the original folders.

To save more time, make sure you don't have any encrypted logs in My Chat Logs folder when you're doing the above procedure. That way, you can assign the password directly.

RE: Sugg: Log encryption for old chat logs? by Patchou on 01-20-2006 at 09:45 AM

You'll be able to do that more easily with the next version :).

RE: Sugg: Log encryption for old chat logs? by just_a_name on 01-20-2006 at 06:27 PM

Wahoo :) Thanks!