Shoutbox

REQ: Contact's font - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+---- Forum: Scripting (/forumdisplay.php?fid=39)
+----- Forum: Plug-Ins (/forumdisplay.php?fid=28)
+------ Thread: REQ: Contact's font (/showthread.php?tid=54478)

REQ: Contact's font by TrickZ on 01-01-2006 at 08:43 PM

I apologise if this has been asked before but I've searched and cannot find it, so here it goes:

Is it possible to make a plugin which tells you the hex code of the colour of your contact's text, which font it is and whether or not it's bold/italic/underlined etc....

For example,

Me: /cfont
And on that command, this would be returned:

• Arial
    Black/#000000
    Italic/Bold

Thanks in advance,

George
RE: REQ: Contact's font by Dempsey on 01-01-2006 at 08:48 PM

Each message sent over Messenger includes the formatting information in the headers I think, so either a proxy or packet sniffer could detect the font etc, but why would you need it?  Why couldn't you just ask them?

RE: REQ: Contact's font by TrickZ on 01-01-2006 at 08:51 PM

Well, if I wanted to re-use their font/colour etc. for, let's say, a website.. I'd have to go through the whole process of explaining why I want their font.. And also, you always get those people who simply won't tell you for one reason or another.. So I thought it'd be a handy plugin to have.. That's my personal opinion though and I'm talking from experience..

RE: REQ: Contact's font by RaceProUK on 01-02-2006 at 07:01 PM

An easier way would be to get a program like Colour Explorer, which can tell you the colour of any pixel on screen.

RE: REQ: Contact's font by Chris4 on 01-02-2006 at 07:04 PM

quote:
Originally posted by raceprouk
An easier way would be to get a program like Colour Explorer, which can tell you the colour of any pixel on screen.
Doesn't tell you the font though, which is the main point in this topic.
RE: REQ: Contact's font by TrickZ on 01-02-2006 at 07:06 PM

Was about to post that...

RE: REQ: Contact's font by RaceProUK on 01-03-2006 at 09:19 AM

You did say font/colour though.

RE: REQ: Contact's font by TrickZ on 01-03-2006 at 03:42 PM

quote:
REQ: Contact's font

RE: REQ: Contact's font by t1a0s on 01-03-2006 at 04:32 PM

It basically tells you what you need to know if you copy an paste it into MS Word... at least it works for me anyway.

RE: REQ: Contact's font by spokes on 01-03-2006 at 04:34 PM

quote:
Originally posted by t1a0s
It basically tells you what you need to know if you copy an paste it into MS Word... at least it works for me anyway.

yea, i just tried
RE: REQ: Contact's font by TrickZ on 01-03-2006 at 05:05 PM

Yeah, that's the method I'm using at the moment, but it's a really long-winded way of doing it.. Wondered if there was a simpler way of doing it, i.e. with a plugin...

RE: REQ: Contact's font by t1a0s on 01-03-2006 at 05:24 PM

Do you need to use people's fonts that often that you cant settle for using word? A plugin like this doesn't sound like it'd be very complicated to make, but how many people would use it?

RE: REQ: Contact's font by TrickZ on 01-03-2006 at 05:28 PM

Fair point, but I thought it'd be a nifty little tool to have and I didn't think it would be too complicated to make... In fact, I think I'd check what font more people were using if I had a tool like this, sometimes I'm curious and just don't do it because opening Word on this computer takes a lot of time, besides, what if you don't have Word?

RE: REQ: Contact's font by QtanJ on 01-03-2006 at 05:58 PM

Then use WordPad. Faster loading too.

RE: REQ: Contact's font by TrickZ on 01-03-2006 at 06:01 PM

Hmmm.. Didn't think you could do it in Wordpad, I've tried in the past and had no success, am I missing something? :s

RE: REQ: Contact's font by t1a0s on 01-03-2006 at 06:10 PM

Doesn't work for me in Wordpad, it has a set 16 colours, where as Word has the whole colour chart which is needed for the colour value to be displayed.

RE: REQ: Contact's font by QtanJ on 01-03-2006 at 06:18 PM

You can do it, but I think you can't do it at unsent text. You can copy with formating for what you write if you send it(copy from text box not from type box)

*Edit didn't know about the colors

RE: REQ: Contact's font by CookieRevised on 01-04-2006 at 12:00 AM

quote:
Originally posted by QtanJ
You can do it, but I think you can't do it at unsent text. You can copy with formating for what you write if you send it(copy from text box not from type box)
correct...

Copying from the chat text works perfect here (with all colors)... And since this is what needs to be copied (not the text you write) there wouldn't be any problem using this method (other than that it is not so convenient to also open Wordpad, but it indeed would work for the occasional lookup)

--------

Wordpad can show all colors (as it uses RTF), you only can't select all colors when writing a new document in wordpad.

[Image: attachment.php?pid=586404]
RE: REQ: Contact's font by RaceProUK on 01-04-2006 at 12:30 PM

quote:
Originally posted by TrickZ
REQ: Contact's font
quote:
Originally posted by TrickZ
tells you the hex code of the colour of your contact's text
Sorry for actually reading your post.</sarcasm>
If you don't want my help, just say so.