Shoutbox

Text editor :: RELEASED [updated] - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: Text editor :: RELEASED [updated] (/showthread.php?tid=54528)

Text editor :: RELEASED [updated] by Lou on 01-02-2006 at 11:05 PM

I have a program I have been working on the past two days. it's a very simple program but it still needs testing like any other.

-----
Requirements:
This has been tested on windows xp ONLY. Can't promise anything for other systems
You need .net framework 2.0
-----
I need help with:
I would like anyone who can help me work on an update system, to please contact me ASAP.

Comment: the theme may be redone, and some images are missing

-----
Testing:

Please test things to see if all goes good. Be sure to test every file type and see if all of them show up correctly in the application
-----

Basic description of the application:

A simple vb.net application to modify html, htm, php...txt files without too much junk inside the application itself.

-----
The future:
I want to add syntax highlighting
I want to add numbers for each row for easier navigation
I want to add a wysiwyg editor and a design mode for website designing.

----
Download:
Download it by clicking here

EDIT: Got everything. Version 1.3

----
Suggestions and bug reports:
All suggestions are welcome. Simply post in this thread. Bug reports are even more welcome. Again, simply post in this thread please.

Known bugs:
[list]
[/list]

All help is apreciated.

Updated twice. First time was a button mover, second time was a bug with the button mover. And another bug was fixed

Version 0.8 now has an options menu that allos users to decide whethere to hide the program in system tray or not when it is minimized.

Please update.  Version 1.3

RE: Text editor :: Please test :: Need help by Jhrono on 01-02-2006 at 11:07 PM

I have the .net framework... 1.1 :refuck: .. I'll download the latest later and then i'll test it.. When i have an opinion i'll edit this post

RE: Text editor :: Please test :: Need help by Ezra on 01-02-2006 at 11:23 PM

It works, but now it's just notepad with a green color :P

About those menu options, that's a good idea

You can make it Radio Checked by setting RadioCheck on True, and after that use this code to toggle between checked and unchecked. And to enable or disable those buttons :)

code:
Private Sub mnu_klikkert_Click(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles mnu_klikkert.Click
        If (mnu_klikkert.Checked = True) Then
            mnu_klikkert.Checked = False
        Else
            mnu_klikkert.Checked = True
        End If
    End Sub

About not showing up in the taskbar so only in systray set this
code:
Me.ShowInTaskbar = False

So when you minimize it, you set this and it will minimize to systray.

If you do this make sure you can open the program again by doubleclicking the systray icon or add Open to the systray menu or both :)

Also it's using 21 MB of memory :o, that's A LOT!, but I don't think you can do much about it :(
RE: Text editor :: Please test :: Need help by Lou on 01-02-2006 at 11:45 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Ezra
About not showing up in the taskbar so only in systray set this

code:Me.ShowInTaskbar = False

So when you minimize it, you set this and it will minimize to systray.

How do I set it that when it minimizes, it shows in systray, otherwise it doesnt?

and also, how would I go about bringing the app back to the taskbar, and having the systray icon hide again?

Also, how would I go about making a setting so that a user can decide if they want it to minimize it so systray or not?
RE: Text editor :: Please test :: Need help by pollolibredegrasa on 01-02-2006 at 11:47 PM

Not a major bug but...

When I click exit (from the button on the form and from the File menu), the icon remains in the systray after the app exits. Now, I dont know much about VB.Net but I *think* you need to put some code in on the form's exit procedure to remove the icon, if you haven't done so already.

Other than that I like :) I'll keep playing with it. (y)

RE: Text editor :: Please test :: Need help by Lou on 01-02-2006 at 11:51 PM

quote:
Originally posted by fatfreechicken
Not a major bug but...

When I click exit (from the button on the form and from the File menu), the icon remains in the systray after the app exits. Now, I dont know much about VB.Net but I *think* you need to put some code in on the form's exit procedure to remove the icon, if you haven't done so already.

Other than that I like :) I'll keep playing with it. (y)
if I can have the icon not be there unless the form is minimized, then this should fix it.

edit: and thanks
RE: Text editor :: Please test :: Need help by pollolibredegrasa on 01-03-2006 at 12:02 AM

How about:

code:
    Private Sub Form1_Resize(ByVal sender As Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles MyBase.Resize
        If Me.WindowState = FormWindowState.Minimized Then
            NotifyIcon1.Visible = True
        Else
            NotifyIcon1.Visible = False
        End If
    End Sub

Is this the sort of thing needed? (Again, I'm really not experienced at all with .Net so it may not be 100% correct :P)

Of course using this then the NotifyIcon1.Visible property would have to be changed programmatically at runtime at the form's load procedure (NotifyIcon1.Visible  = false) or by setting its property in the VB IDE.
RE: Text editor :: Please test :: Need help by Lou on 01-03-2006 at 12:08 AM

quote:
Originally posted by fatfreechicken
    Private Sub Form1_Resize(ByVal sender As Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles MyBase.Resize
        Else
        End If
    End Sub
this worked. Now I just need to have double click on the systray to bring up the program again

edit: figured it out. Just adding the open thing to that menu and releasing new version in first post

edit: The file has been updated. Gonna re update with wut I need.

edit once again: first post updated, now time to update here:

edit: updated once again. I got everything I wanted, I just need an icon now. Please report any bugs and errors ASAP.
edit: had a bug, fixed it. Current version: 0.6
edit: other bug. Fixed to version 0.7

Currently working on an options menu that will allow users to chose whethere or not to minimize the program to systray, or minimize it normally, whenever they click the minimize button

Version 0.8 now has an options menu that allos users to decide whethere to hide the program in system tray or not when it is minimized.
RE: Text editor :: Please test :: Need help by Ezra on 01-03-2006 at 03:27 PM

The program doesn't hide in systray for me.

When minimizing the systray icon does appear, but the taskbar "bar" :P, also stays.

code:
            Me.ShowinTaskbar = False
        Else
        End If
    End Sub

and at the code for the Show the program button on the systray menu you should set Me.ShowinTaskbar on True again :)
RE: Text editor :: Please test :: Need help by Lou on 01-03-2006 at 06:04 PM

quote:
The program doesn't hide in systray for me.

When minimizing the systray icon does appear, but the taskbar "bar" :P, also stays.

code:
            Me.ShowinTaskbar = False
        Else
        End If
    End Sub

and at the code for the Show the program button on the systray menu you should set Me.ShowinTaskbar on True again :)
this has already been fixed for the next build which will no longer be beta. It will be a final version and the theme will be changed to blue. Just waiting on an icon for the program to release it
RE: Text editor :: Please test :: Need help by John Anderton on 01-03-2006 at 07:44 PM

I hate apps that run on .net framework :sad:
I hate the fact that i have to download those huge files just to check if i like small programs made for it :-/

Anyways im testing it :P

Damn i need to get v2 :-/ Im on 1.1 :sad:

RE: Text editor :: Please test :: Need help by Eljay on 01-03-2006 at 07:47 PM

doesnt even work for me

---------------------------
Louhabs.com Text Editor.exe - Fatal error
CLR error: 80004005.
The program will now terminate.
OK   

on startup

RE: Text editor :: Please test :: Need help by Ezra on 01-03-2006 at 07:48 PM

Yeah, I hate it too, I hope they build in the .NET Framework in Vista. So everyone has it by default.

quote:
Originally posted by Eljay
doesnt even work for me

OK 

on startup

Are you sure u installed the .NET Framework version 2?

EDIT: Also make sure you are not running in compatibiltity mode.
RE: Text editor :: Please test :: Need help by Eljay on 01-03-2006 at 07:50 PM

quote:
Yeah, I hate it too, I hope they build in the .NET Framework in Vista. So everyone has it by default.

quote:
Originally posted by Eljay
doesnt even work for me

OK 

on startup

Are you sure u installed the .NET Framework version 2?

yes.

but 1.1 is still installed alongside so im gonna try uninstalling that
RE: Text editor :: Please test :: Need help by Lou on 01-03-2006 at 08:04 PM

Well I updated the link at the top. Now it's version 1. That's right it's final. Might post changelog later.

Everyone please update to the latest version

EDIT: LINK HAS BEEN CHANGED. PLEASE UPDATE ONCE AGAIN.

Fixed the above link and another update.

I would like anyone who can help me work on an update system, to please contact me ASAP.

RE: Text editor :: RELEASED by Ezra on 01-03-2006 at 08:21 PM

Maybe something you could add, remove that big blue bar or resize it to make it smaller when all three buttons are removed.

EDIT: I also noticed it has problems opening big files.

I tried to open a 112 MB text file with 194519 prime numbers in it, and it took about  5 mins to open and it the memory usage maxed out at 395 MB.

After that when minimizing it to systray, the memory spiked up to 700 MB!!, and it gets gradually higher somehow :s

EDIT: Added screenshot

RE: Text editor :: RELEASED by Lou on 01-03-2006 at 08:24 PM

quote:
Maybe something you could add, remove that big blue bar or resize it to make it smaller when all three buttons are removed.
ohh I get it. yes, I can fix this. Will do sometime today
RE: Text editor :: RELEASED by pollolibredegrasa on 01-03-2006 at 09:57 PM

Its definitely coming along nicely ;)

Anyway, suggestions:

• Currently open filename in the titlebar
  • Moving that textbox when no buttons shown (^what Ezra said)
  • Confirm Exit/Warn about unsaved changes on exit
  • Update check - I know you're trying to implement this but I'll post here anyway :P
  • I know it wouldnt be easy, but maybe a recent files submenu somewhere perhaps?

And I'll edit if I think of more etc.
RE: Text editor :: RELEASED by Lou on 01-04-2006 at 04:25 PM

Please update to version 1.3. The text box had a max length, which could have been the cause of errors while opening large files