Shoutbox

Automatic Sign-in (Windows Messenger) - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Skype & Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+----- Thread: Automatic Sign-in (Windows Messenger) (/showthread.php?tid=54566)

Automatic Sign-in (Windows Messenger) by Yuki on 01-04-2006 at 12:13 AM

My computer hard drive recently crashed, so I just got it replaced... so, my computer is like new now.  Yesterday I was signing into Windows Messenger (while I downloading MSN, of course. ^^) and somehow I accidentally set it to where it automatically signs me in.  When I open Windows Messenger, it starts signing me in, and I have to cancel the sign in.  It says "yukilynne@hotmail.com" in bold at the top and then it gives me the option to "Sign in with a different account, click here."  When I click on that, the "Automatically sign me in" box is not checked.  So, I don't get why it's automatically signing me in and I hate it.  Especially because even if I exit out of Windows Messenger -- actually EXIT it and close it out all the way... when my internet disconnects, and then it reconnects (it does that a lot) Windows Messenger starts signing me in so I can't sign into MSN until I manually stop Windows Messenger.

I looked up how to stop it, and it told me to go to User Accounts and stuff, but... it didn't have an "advanced options" like it told me to click on.  So, I'm super lost.  And frustrated.

RE: Automatic Sign-in (Windows Messenger) by Lou on 01-04-2006 at 12:52 AM

There is another box you must uncheck

[Image: attachment.php?pid=586421]

edit: go to file > options and uncheck both this box and the box that says automatically sign me in. Maybe you would also want to check the other boxes too.

RE: Automatic Sign-in (Windows Messenger) by RebelSean on 01-04-2006 at 03:57 AM

I had this problem too. I had EVERYTHING unchecked, yet the stupid program ran in the background, signed in when it wanted to, and did all sorts of crap. I uninstalled it :p.

RE: RE: Automatic Sign-in (Windows Messenger) by Yuki on 01-04-2006 at 04:36 AM

quote:
Originally posted by lou_habs
There is another box you must uncheck

[Image: attachment.php?pid=586421]

edit: go to file > options and uncheck both this box and the box that says automatically sign me in. Maybe you would also want to check the other boxes too.

File>Options?  There is no File>Options in Windows Messenger... Tools>Options, you mean?  Well, there is no box like that to uncheck... however, I did uncheck the background box thingy.  So, yay. :P

RebelSean -- You can uninstall Windows Messenger?
RE: Automatic Sign-in (Windows Messenger) by Lou on 01-04-2006 at 04:41 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Yuki
You can uninstall Windows Messenger?
you can, but it is not recommended. As for the tools> options things, sorry. I will have a look inside windows messenger for next time. The menus are obviously not the same. But you did get my point, which is what I initially intended.
RE: RE: Automatic Sign-in (Windows Messenger) by Yuki on 01-04-2006 at 04:45 AM

quote:
Originally posted by lou_habs
quote:
Originally posted by Yuki
You can uninstall Windows Messenger?
you can, but it is not recommended. As for the tools> options things, sorry. I will have a look inside windows messenger for next time. The menus are obviously not the same. But you did get my point, which is what I initially intended.

Yes'm.  Well, at least now it's not running in the background.  That was my main problem.  Boy, did I hate that!

Hmmm... still trying to figure out how to get it to not automatically sign in, though... someone's gotta know... *shifty eyes*
RE: Automatic Sign-in (Windows Messenger) by Hank on 01-04-2006 at 04:46 AM

May i ask what Windows Messenger version you have?.. coz i get this problem on my old system with windows Messenger 5.1 the latest one

RE: RE: Automatic Sign-in (Windows Messenger) by Yuki on 01-04-2006 at 05:07 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Animal
May i ask what Windows Messenger version you have?.. coz i get this problem on my old system with windows Messenger 5.1 the latest one

RE: Automatic Sign-in (Windows Messenger) by Plik on 01-04-2006 at 05:24 AM

have a read of CookieRevised's reply to I am about to rip my hair out over MS Messanger and see if that contains anything that helps you.

Im surprised its taken this long for that post to be refered to in this thread :\, its one of the most famous "Cookie revised's reply to..." :chrongue:

RE: Automatic Sign-in (Windows Messenger) by Mike on 01-04-2006 at 08:57 AM

Click Start -> Run and type "control userpasswords2" (without the quotes) -> Enter -> Advanced -> Manage Passwords -> select your email from the list, and click "Remove" :)

RE: Automatic Sign-in (Windows Messenger) by RebelSean on 01-04-2006 at 10:02 AM

To uninstall WM, Start -> Run:

RunDll32 advpack.dll,LaunchINFSection%windir%INF\msmsgs.inf,BLC.Remove

And I jut noticed that CookieRevised said not to do that. Jonthan Kay (TReKie) told me to use that method. No idea why not to.