Shoutbox

can't see symbols with messenger plus - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+---- Forum: WLM Plus! Bug Reports (/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+----- Thread: can't see symbols with messenger plus (/showthread.php?tid=54569)

can't see symbols with messenger plus by Ary on 01-04-2006 at 01:12 AM

When I have Msg+ installed, I can't see symbols in people's names (symbols such as: ॡ, ♥, ஆ, ღ or ஐ); they turn up as little squares.

When I uninstall Msg+, however, I do see them again. So it has to be Msg+, right?

Any suggestions? Or will there be a fix or something for it?

ps. I have my MSN patched with the mess.be-patch.

RE: can't see symbols with messenger plus by haydos on 01-04-2006 at 07:04 AM

ॡ, ♥, ஆ, ღ and &#2960 are the codes for the symbols (or formatting, or colours). Where are you seeing the squares?

RE: can't see symbols with messenger plus by Ary on 01-04-2006 at 11:56 AM

Err.. I didn't post any codes.. I just pasted the symbols (These: [Image: symbols.jpg] [ignore the emoticon]).

Instead of these symbols, I see squares in my contact list. When I removed MSN+, I did see symbols though.

RE: can't see symbols with messenger plus by RaceProUK on 01-04-2006 at 12:33 PM

What version fo Windows are you running, and if 95/98/ME, do you have the Microsoft Layer For Unicode installed?

RE: can't see symbols with messenger plus by Sunshine on 01-04-2006 at 01:04 PM

Are you using custom names in Plus!? Because that is a well known limitation of customnames (not able to see emoticons in names). To solve that turn off customnames: plus > preferences > contactlist > customnames...uncheck the box in front of "Display custom names".

RE: can't see symbols with messenger plus by Ary on 01-04-2006 at 04:13 PM

Running WinXP Pro SP2 and nope, don't have custom names enabled.

It's not the emoticons that are the problem, it's the weird 'letters' that look like, i.e. a heart. It's very weird, when I remove Msg+ everything is fine. Never had problems with this before either (just bought a new computer).

RE: can't see symbols with messenger plus by RaceProUK on 01-04-2006 at 04:37 PM

quote:
Originally posted by raceprouk
What version fo Windows are you running, and if 95/98/ME, do you have the Microsoft Layer For Unicode installed?
Oops, didn't notice :$
Try finding full Unicode versions of your fonts and installing them. Other than that, I'm out of ideas.
RE: can't see symbols with messenger plus by Ary on 01-04-2006 at 04:45 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Ary
Running WinXP Pro SP2
;)

Yeah tried that.. some people sent me their font-files.. still having this problem though.

Oh well, I'll survive :)

I'll post a little something in the bugs-department as well.
RE: RE: can't see symbols with messenger plus by CookieRevised on 01-05-2006 at 12:20 AM

[OFF TOPIC]

quote:
Originally posted by Ary
Yeah tried that.. some people sent me their font-files.. still having this problem though.

Oh well, I'll survive :)

I'll post a little something in the bugs-department as well.

Please don't....

Cross posting and/or making double threads about the same stuff will only makes things more confussing as people will start replying in that new thread with the very same stuff which has been said here.

If you want this in the bug reports subforum all you need to do is reporting your first post in this thread (by clicking on the report button below your post) with the request to move the thread to the bug reports forum.

So, I advise to delete that new post you've made and report your first post in this thread to be moved.

PS: double posting (making two posts after eachother in the same thread isn't allowed iether)

[/OFF TOPIC]
RE: can't see symbols with messenger plus by Ary on 01-05-2006 at 03:24 PM

Hehe sorry, I didn't realise. You're right, my apologies! :)

RE: can't see symbols with messenger plus by Fergy on 02-06-2006 at 05:08 AM

Try extending the support of advanced text services to all programs

Enable the language bar in your taskbar:
Taskbar (Right Click) > Toolbars > Language Bar

Open the settings (Right Click > Settings) switch to advanced tab and check: Extend support of advanced text services to all programs

RE: can't see symbols with messenger plus by Mike on 02-06-2006 at 07:57 AM

Check this thread: Messenger Plus! Beta disables Unicode characters in my contact list (msn7) :)