Shoutbox

11 of 12 coal miners falsely reported to be alive; actually dead - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: General (/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+---- Forum: General Chit Chat (/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+----- Thread: 11 of 12 coal miners falsely reported to be alive; actually dead (/showthread.php?tid=54578)

11 of 12 coal miners falsely reported to be alive; actually dead by Dane on 01-04-2006 at 08:18 AM

quote:
Originally posted by ABC News

11 of 12 coal miners falsely reported to be alive are actually dead
Associated Press - Televised at 3:05AM Eastern Time by ABC News; Televised at 3:35AM Eastern Time by NBC News

TALLMANSVILLE, W.Va. Jan 4, 2006 — Family members learned early Wednesday that 11 of the 12 coal miners who were initially thought to have survived an explosion in a coal mine have died.

Families learned of the deaths from mine officials more than three hours after Gov. Joe Manchin said he had been told 12 of the miners survived the disaster. The sole survivor of the disaster was hospitalized, a doctor said.

International Coal Group Chief Executive Officer Ben Hatfield told the families that only one miner, Randal McCloy, had survived the explosion.

Families Say 11 of 12 W.Va. Miners Dead
Despite Risks, Miners Find Strength, Solidarity Underground
Coal Mine Discovery

Hatfield told the families gathered at the Sago Baptist Church that "there had been a lack of communication, that what we were told was wrong and that only one survived," said John Groves, whose brother Jerry Groves was one of the trapped miners.

At that point, chaos broke out in the church and a fight started.

Well, that sucks for those poor people.  Told that their loved ones were alive when in fact they actually were dead.  I would sue :p.
RE: 11 of 12 coal miners falsely reported to be alive; actually dead by lordy on 01-04-2006 at 09:40 AM

That would be such a shock, to have all the relief of knowing they are alive, to then suddenly having them dead again

RE: 11 of 12 coal miners falsely reported to be alive; actually dead by ShawnZ on 01-04-2006 at 09:44 AM

quote:
Originally posted by lordy16
That would be such a shock, to have all the relief of knowing they are alive, to then suddenly having them dead again

Doubt they had any relief, knowing one was dead...
RE: 11 of 12 coal miners falsely reported to be alive; actually dead by DragonX on 01-04-2006 at 10:00 AM

quote:
Originally posted by ShawnZ
quote:
Originally posted by lordy16

Doubt they had any relief, knowing one was dead...
And i wonder if u'd feel a bit of guilt, as you are the only one to make it out alive :S
RE: 11 of 12 coal miners falsely reported to be alive; actually dead by WDZ on 01-04-2006 at 02:19 PM

I've been following this story since the beginning... pretty interesting. Last night before I went to bed, everyone was reporting that 12 miners were alive, and I thought it was really a miracle, especially after the deadly levels of carbon monoxide were detected and one miner was found dead. Then I woke up this morning and turned the news back on, expecting to see reports on the health of the 12 miners, but it turns out that only one miner was found alive. WTF? :-/

Hopefully we'll soon learn how such a huge miscommunication was possible...

RE: 11 of 12 coal miners falsely reported to be alive; actually dead by Dane on 01-04-2006 at 10:57 PM

Yeah, was quite an interesting development...One of the miners families has already threatened to sue over it, and I dont blame them. That was such a bad error on the part of the States command center..

RE: 11 of 12 coal miners falsely reported to be alive; actually dead by Lou on 01-04-2006 at 11:02 PM

That is really the worst "error" to ever have happened. I bet the guy that announced that they were alive felt like a retard after that.

RE: 11 of 12 coal miners falsely reported to be alive; actually dead by Menthix on 01-04-2006 at 11:26 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Dane
One of the miners families has already threatened to sue over it
Typical American, your family member just died and what are you thinking about?... Sueing somebody because he said something wrong :s. Sure, it was a big mistake and very sad for those people to hear things like that. But are you gonna sue people because things got mixed up by the chaos that was there when people were actually trying to save your family member's life?

If you want to sue people so bad, sue the coal company for letting them work in such a dangerous situation. This was just a miscommunication (bas one, but still) that happened in a few hours of chaos. Letting people work in mines that take hundreds of lives every year was something the coal company "carefully" decided to do.
RE: 11 of 12 coal miners falsely reported to be alive; actually dead by Voldemort on 01-04-2006 at 11:27 PM

poor families, that must be very sad

RE: RE: 11 of 12 coal miners falsely reported to be alive; actually dead by cmonineedhelp on 01-05-2006 at 04:09 PM

quote:
Originally posted by MenthiX
quote:
Originally posted by Dane
One of the miners families has already threatened to sue over it
Typical American, your family member just died and what are you thinking about?... Sueing somebody because he said something wrong :s. Sure, it was a big mistake and very sad for those people to hear things like that. But are you gonna sue people because things got mixed up by the chaos that was there when people were actually trying to save your family member's life?

If you want to sue people so bad, sue the coal company for letting them work in such a dangerous situation. This was just a miscommunication (bas one, but still) that happened in a few hours of chaos. Letting people work in mines that take hundreds of lives every year was something the coal company "carefully" decided to do.

Money doesn't bring you happiness but it sure gives you a good imitation!
RE: 11 of 12 coal miners falsely reported to be alive; actually dead by Anubis on 01-05-2006 at 04:18 PM

I was shocked and deeply saddened to here this. I was, as everyone, extremely happy to hear that the coal minors survived, and that it was a miracle.

This really is one of the worst miscommunications in history; however it is no ones purposeful fault. The poor families of the coal minors, all I can do is pray that they are able to forgive those who made the mistake, and eventually hopefully find peace with what happened. I think the whole world feels for their loss.

RE: 11 of 12 coal miners falsely reported to be alive; actually dead by emit on 01-05-2006 at 05:11 PM

TALLMANSVILLE, W.Va. - The West Virginia coal mine where an underground explosion left 12 miners dead and another with serious injuries had been cited for hundreds of federal safety violations since it opened in 1999, government records show. Among the infractions were at least 16 related to failures to prevent or adequately monitor the buildup of explosive gases in the mine.

RE: 11 of 12 coal miners falsely reported to be alive; actually dead by toddiot on 01-06-2006 at 04:51 PM

Yea i saw in a local newspaper that they were all alive and my whole family was amazed... but then later that night on the news it said only one of them survived. How could they make such a stupid mistake like that?

RE: 11 of 12 coal miners falsely reported to be alive; actually dead by SikStyles on 01-06-2006 at 05:56 PM

Though its a bad mistake but you really can't blame them. There was just a miscommunication and they are still humans.

My regards to the families (f)