Shoutbox

THIS topic isnot new......memory usage!! - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Skype & Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+----- Thread: THIS topic isnot new......memory usage!! (/showthread.php?tid=54660)

THIS topic isnot new......memory usage!! by hungryleo on 01-06-2006 at 02:00 AM

hey there! i have some big problem with msn 7.5! it uses so much memory....even i didnot chat or do anything! thats why my msn shutdown after it get to the max! i canot even try to use webcam............
i asked msn support,funny thing they copy and past what writen from the messenger.msn.com!   anyway.........not solved yet!
here my screen shot of the usage...some time get to 200 !! more than battlefield!!!!:D  or half of it!
my cpu details:
2800 mega hertz   pentium 4
1 giga ram
msn 7.5   
msgplus 3.62
ati readeon................:^)
well.........what you need to know? ready to answer!
thanx for help!

RE: THIS topic isnot new......memory usage!! by matty on 01-06-2006 at 02:13 AM

Now since you are using Messenger Plus! do you have any plugins installed?

To check this open the main contact list then click on Plus! > Preferences > Plugins > Uncheck Allow Messenger Plus! to load plugins in my account. Then click Ok.

What you want to do next is sign off MSN Messenger and sign back in and check to see if the same issue happens. If it does try uninstalling Messenger Plus! to make sure it is not causing a memory leak.

If after all this it still does not work then I would be looking at other programs that might be causing it like Smiley Central for example.

Another thing is you have 61 processes. I would reboot the computer into Safe Mode with Networking and visit this website and clear our your system startup (Start > run > msconfig). Then reboot the computer.

quote:
Originally posted by [MR
]use the [Image: edit.gif] button since u have 2 posts in a row (double posting) which is against the rules.

Already reported to have it merged and corrected.
RE: THIS topic isnot new......memory usage!! by hungryleo on 01-06-2006 at 12:41 PM

well.........it appears that msgplus is not guilty:P
but....messenger 7.5 still eating alot! so..........if you can tel me what the best way to delete it completly,then install normal one?
if there is more tha add/remove.   
the funny thing is.......when the msn minimized.....its about 6 mega.....but when i restore the window it jup to 40 ...and go on!
thanx for help

RE: THIS topic isnot new......memory usage!! by Anubis on 01-06-2006 at 12:44 PM

Have you used any games patches, skins, or any kind of patch on MSN Messenger? Have you tried uninstalling MSN Messenger and reinstalling it? (Start > Control Panel > Add\Remove Programs > Messenger Plus > Click button > Follow uninstall)

quote:
Originally posted by hungryleo
if you can tel me what the best way to delete it completly,then install normal one?
MSN Messenger 7.5, is the normal client for MSN Messenger.
RE: THIS topic isnot new......memory usage!! by hungryleo on 01-06-2006 at 12:50 PM

i gonna do it now....5 minutes gonna tell you what happened!
but i know there is no new patches than msplus.

RE: THIS topic isnot new......memory usage!! by Menthix on 01-06-2006 at 12:54 PM

quote:
when the msn minimized.....its about 6 mega.....but when i restore the window it jup to 40 ...and go on!
Yes, MSN's memory usage is ridiculous sometimes. It gets even worse in the next version (WLM). I suggest we all contact Microsoft about it and let them know they should do something about the extreme memory usage. Let the Messenger team know what you think at MSN Feedback.
RE: THIS topic isnot new......memory usage!! by hungryleo on 01-06-2006 at 01:00 PM

bad news......reinstall is not helping!   
msn support didnot help so much! we been e-mailing more than 15 emails......they send me whats writen in the messenger.msn.com!
getting bored from msn!8o|   the problem is all the ppl i talk are from msn....canot change it now!
icq with me is ok!

RE: THIS topic isnot new......memory usage!! by qgroessl on 01-06-2006 at 01:12 PM

quote:
i gonna do it now....5 minutes gonna tell you what happened!
but i know there is no new patches than msplus.

MsgPlus! is actually an add-on, not a patch. A patch would be like A-Patch... or Mess Patch... I wouldn't reccommend putting them onto your messenger though since you have that much memory usage already.
RE: THIS topic isnot new......memory usage!! by matty on 01-06-2006 at 05:34 PM

Without being signed in, what is the memory usage like?

RE: THIS topic isnot new......memory usage!! by hungryleo on 01-06-2006 at 06:46 PM

well.....i found now that the msgplus isnot the problem..... :P
but if some one can give me some hints....i will appreciate that...i emailed msn support....they dont solve it yet!!
so........when iam not signed in its about 4 mega....and when the main window or the message window are minimized...its about 10 megas.....wierd to me...i can be 100 mega with opened windows..and for one second..it goes to 5-6 mega!!!
now iam trying to find what msn 7.5 use ....but i dont know where to look.........
any help will good to me!
thanx

RE: THIS topic isnot new......memory usage!! by cmonineedhelp on 01-06-2006 at 06:52 PM

Mine is currently at 27K and I am currently on a video conversation, and i'm surprised at that :S
MSN is definately getting stranger by the day.

RE: THIS topic isnot new......memory usage!! by hungryleo on 01-08-2006 at 03:35 AM

hey!
my problem with the usage is solved! dont know why  now...i changed to msn live 8....in the beginig it was horrible...but after two reboots...the usage now less than 10 megas....even when using cam one side only!! i canot belive that!...but still have the problem with the video or the sudio conversation! it says when i open the setup , canot open it now,try later! what that means? why not now?  if some one has any clue...gonna be great!
thanx

RE: THIS topic isnot new......memory usage!! by Chris4 on 01-08-2006 at 03:58 AM

quote:
msn live 8
Windows Live Messenger, just to correct you :)

quote:
the usage now less than 10 megas
That is very weird. When i'm running WLM, I usually get high memory usage like you did with MSN Messenger 7.5; but I can't understand why you have less memory usage with WLM, as with everyone I've spoken to, they usually has high memory usage. :S
RE: THIS topic isnot new......memory usage!! by hungryleo on 01-08-2006 at 04:08 AM

:P i also dont know why......now its 16 mega.
befor 5 minutes i was receiving avideo conversation...and it was 10.....wierd!
anyway....when i uses msn 7.5 ...it take 100 mega! no reson why..even msn support dont figur out that! all what they told me to check for spy wares....i told him i have many programs for that ,and its clean..but they still post the same issue,talking with robots!!;:)   well....at least now i can see some of my girls:P
with icq its so soft! no problems! but all my contacts using msn!
hope someone tell me what that usuage means! why it sometimes...100 megas or 10 megas?!?!?
by the way...whne msgplus live  be ready?...need my tools to play with!

RE: THIS topic isnot new......memory usage!! by ilkerka on 07-03-2006 at 10:38 AM

57000K memory usage with WLM and Plus! live. only 2 plug ins are installed(Itunes+, PlusMail). they should do something about it. dont know who to blame actually :P

RE: THIS topic isnot new......memory usage!! by Menthix on 07-03-2006 at 10:47 AM

quote:
Originally posted by ilkerka
dont know who to blame actually
Uninstall Plus! and run WLM without it for a day and monitor memory usage again. You'll see that WLM's memory usage isn't bad when you keep your contactlist closed, but as soon as you open your contactlist and a few chat windows the mem usage will rise to about 50 or 60MB... I've seen cases with 120 to 160MB. When the memory usage is high without Plus! ar any other kind of modification installed, let Microsoft know about it at Windows Live Messenger Feedback.

If you have a good reason to think it's Plus!, open a new topic (because this topic isn't about Plus!).
RE: THIS topic isnot new......memory usage!! by Sunshine on 07-03-2006 at 11:10 AM

I noticed the high memory usage when contactlist is open aswell..it doubles or more than doubles at times. Already had WLM freezing too, freezing so badly that i couldn't even stop the process through taskmanager (forced reboot)...mem usage at that point was over 100.000 kB. After the reboot i restarted WLM and got the Installer on log in (strange, how can it appear and need be installed)...then no WLM, second try Installer again on log in yet this time WLM worked. I did notice the WLM desktop icon beeing back on my desktop, so somehow it did install without interaction from me and non noticeably if not for the desktop icon reappearing.

I've sent feedback through the feedback form aswell..now maybe if enough people have this issue and report it the same way they'll see it's urgent and fix it for a next update.

Remember: what they don't know they can't fix...and the more people send feedback the more likely it is they'll fix it.

RE: THIS topic isnot new......memory usage!! by ilkerka on 07-03-2006 at 11:31 AM

i beleive contact list does most of the contributions also when i click the plus! icon on the contact list msn crashes. this happened several times i guess from memory usage. ill send a feedback form to wlm aswell.

RE: THIS topic isnot new......memory usage!! by andrewdodd13 on 07-03-2006 at 02:13 PM

Although this is just my experience, it's probably close to being correct.

From what I can tell, you have a lot of programs open (61 processes, atm I have 32 with a lot of things open), and a custom visual style on your desktop.
Having a lot of open processes can cause Task Manager to incorrectly report process memory usage, and although I can't see all your processes, I'm willing to bet a few of them may actually contribute to the high memory usage.

The custom theme may contribute, as as you've said, when you hide the window the memory usage goes right down.

RE: THIS topic isnot new......memory usage!! by Menthix on 07-03-2006 at 02:38 PM

quote:
Originally posted by andrewdodd13
You have a lot of programs open (61 processes
How many processes you open shouldn't affects the memory usage on another process at all, unless the other processes have something to do with the other process... Like MSN plugins and so.

quote:
Originally posted by andrewdodd13
I can't see all your processes, I'm willing to bet a few of them may actually contribute to the high memory usage.
The problem is 115MB on the msnmsger.exe process. I don't see how other processes that don't have anything to do with MSN could affect this.

Custom themes could cause a bit higher memory usage, yes. But in that case every process with a GUI will be affected by it equally, which doesn't seem to be the case. I also know of enough people who don't use any theming software that have the same problems.
RE: RE: THIS topic isnot new......memory usage!! by andrewdodd13 on 07-03-2006 at 03:09 PM

quote:
Originally posted by MenthiX
How many processes you open shouldn't affects the memory usage on another process at all, unless the other processes have something to do with the other process... Like MSN plugins and so.

Yes, but some of the processes I can see running will cause these effects (specifically Free RAM whatever).

Also [hmm, dunno how it posted when I was afk 0_o] I noticed that emule was taking ~120mb of RAM, which is what prompted me to mention the GUI thing, but looking at it now, IE isn't using much so I guess that is out of the question >_>

Final thing about memory usage, mem used > memory on system, so don't believe what you see for program memory values. Although, I'm suprised your PC isn't sluggish, it's out of RAM...