Shoutbox

Router help - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: Router help (/showthread.php?tid=54723)

Router help by TylerG on 01-07-2006 at 07:11 PM

Ok so, I have had a lynksis wireless router for sometime now, and I have always had pretty low connection.  And my dad wouldn't let me have a direct connection because he wanted his computer to have a direct connection...  But then his computer broke so I decided to bring the router and modem upstairs so that me and my  brother could have a direct connection.  We hooked it all up and then saw that the router wasn't putting out in wireless lan anymore, and only one person could connect to it:S  So my dad finds out and he gets mad... So we have to move it back downstairs.  But when we hook it back up, it still doesn't send out any wireless lan:S  Any ideas how to fix this???

PS.  Right now in order to post this I brought the modem to my room...

RE: Router help by YottabyteWizard on 01-07-2006 at 08:20 PM

Reset the router?

RE: Router help by TylerG on 01-07-2006 at 08:46 PM

I have already tried:S

RE: Router help by Ezra on 01-07-2006 at 11:08 PM

Reset to factory defaults or install new firmware?

RE: Router help by absorbation on 01-07-2006 at 11:16 PM

Still got the linksys CD installer. BTW they have a great one to one support on their website, i highly recommend it ;)

RE: Router help by TylerG on 01-07-2006 at 11:54 PM

I have the cd installer, but can do I have to set it up on a computer, because the one it is on doesn't work:S

RE: Router help by Jhrono on 01-08-2006 at 12:59 AM

If you reset the router, you've got to acess the router's firmware
(my linksys per example is 192.168.1.1) connected either by cable or by wireless, to configure again your network details and whatever

RE: Router help by TylerG on 01-08-2006 at 01:01 AM

Dang it, well my dad just went out and bought a brand new awesome computer:S  I can't believe he did that...

RE: Router help by Adeptus on 01-08-2006 at 03:47 AM

TylerG,

I apologize in advance if this suggestion insults your intelligence, but we all sometimes do things in a hurry and make silly oversights.  ;)

It's what you said about only one person being able to connect -- which, I assume, included you and your brother, both wired...  That is precisely what should happen if you had a cable modem plugged into the LAN switch side of the router.  The first computer would probably succeed acquiring an address from the cable modem directly, but any others would fail.

Make sure that you haven't done this. The modem needs to go in the port marked "WAN", "Internet" or something similar.

RE: Router help by Val on 01-08-2006 at 04:40 AM

I think I know what you are talking about.... no wireless devices can connect to your router. So here is what you should do.
1. Check iff you have any wirless security and make the mobile device use the code (WEP, WPA, ect.)

2.Make sure your router is accepting all mac adresses/ your computers

3. Make sure you wired the router proporly
internet -> cable to modem
out put/others -> cable to your computers

4. Install new firmware to make sure everything supports it, and it will probably give you a better user infrance.

5. If all else fails vist the companys support site/ call them

RE: Router help by TylerG on 01-08-2006 at 10:59 PM

My dad bought a new computer and I fixed it.  Thanks anyways...

RE: Router help by lizard.boy on 01-08-2006 at 11:04 PM

i really dont see how buying a new computer would fix it. do you mean he bought a new router? that would make more sence.

RE: Router help by TylerG on 01-08-2006 at 11:50 PM

quote:
Originally posted by lizard.boy
i really dont see how buying a new computer would fix it. do you mean he bought a new router? that would make more sence.
No, he bought a new computer because the old one was broke, and then we had to access the routers firmware through the new computer because the other one was broken.  So it fixed the router:D