Shoutbox

Removing ad's? - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+---- Forum: WLM Plus! Help (/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+----- Thread: Removing ad's? (/showthread.php?tid=54744)

Removing ad's? by realrobley on 01-08-2006 at 05:56 AM

Im a little confused.

A long time ago I was recommended to MessengerPlus  because I have a daughter that has epilipcy, the ad at the bottom of msn messenger flashed and could trigger an attack.

It wasnt long ago that this all changed, and since messenger she has had 2 attacks so we had no choice but to remove it.

Now all her friends are using the new messenger, and I installed it, and was blown away by how cluttered it is now, and again I came to see if Plus has addressed this.

I just read a thread about MsnMoney and a decision on that, but I dont see nothing about msn-money all I see is lava-life garbage ad at the bottom, the whole left side is now cluttered with useless tabs.

she dont care about nudges, pictures, shakes, games, or none of that all she wants is her list and emoticons.

On my office machine I have the factory (.NET) windows messenger  that came with windowsXP-Pro and thats perfect she loved that but now they forced me to update it and it really ruined it now theres a ad at the bottom and it too is now full of junk.

Can I remove the bottom ad that flashes lava-life and Can I remove the side tabs and clean it up to act like the Basic /plain original windows messenger with no bells and whistles just a list and some emoticons?

Rob

RE: Removing ad's? by qgroessl on 01-08-2006 at 05:58 AM

Try using A-Patch or Mess Patch... they might help... only try one though... I'll link to them in a moment.

A-Patch

Mess Patch

Hope this helps!

[offtopic] -- This is why they need a lite version--[/offtopic]

EDIT: Thanks! I didn't realize how outdated it was.... but I got it changed now..

RE: Removing ad's? by Hank on 01-08-2006 at 06:02 AM

you can remove the add or shall i say Hide it by downloading a plugin called Stuffplug @ http://www.stuffplug.com/ an with the Nudges, you can turn those of  if you go to TOOLS > OPTIONS > Messages ( you can turn off Nudges & Voice Clips  )

RE: Removing ad's? by blackjack on 01-08-2006 at 06:07 AM

And: Tools > Options > Security > This is a shared computer so dont display my tabs :)

RE: Removing ad's? by CookieRevised on 01-08-2006 at 06:18 AM

Those "there is a new version available" messages can indeed be confussing.

But the reason why you got a message saying there was a new messenger is because the build version you are using for that specific major version is outdated. It does not mean the major version number is outdated.

What this means is that there are several latest versions for msn messenger. All have there own version history and all are different "flavors" if you like.

If you use the latest build of a specific major version, you will not recieve a "there is a new version available" message unless there is an update for that specific major version.

eg: at the time of writing:
The latest msn messenger 6 version is 6.2.0208
The latest msn messenger 7 version is 7.0.0816
The latest msn messenger 7.5 version is 7.5.0324

Then there are also other, less used, "flavors", again all with their own latest version, eg:
MSN Messenger 5.0.x for windows 95
MSN Messenger 5.0.x for windows NT4 and windows 2k
Windows Messenger 4.7.x for XP
Windows Messenger 5.1.x for XP
(although in the future, the Windows Messenger branch will dissapear)

So, there is no reason why you can't used a specific major version "flavor" (as long as you have the latest build for that version).

eg: If you want to use Windows Messenger 5.1, you can download the latest version from here.

If you want to use MSN Messenger 6.2, you can download the latest version from here. 6.2 doesn't have all the bloated stuff (winks, nudges, etc...) that the 7.0 and 7.5 branches have.

Note: Even the current Messenger Plus! can still remove the ads from MSN Messenger 6.2.x. It is only when you use MSN Messenger 7.0 or higher that the ad-hiding has been removed.

------------------------------------------------------------

quote:
Originally posted by realrobley
A long time ago I was recommended to MessengerPlus  because I have a daughter that has epilipcy, the ad at the bottom of msn messenger flashed and could trigger an attack.

It wasnt long ago that this all changed, and since messenger she has had 2 attacks so we had no choice but to remove it.
I first like to make it clear to I don't minimize the situation or danger that such ads can cause. And also want to say that, as a child, I also had epilepcy (luckally not in such a severe form) so I know exactly what it is to have it and what it invloves or what to look out for and which stuff can trigger attacks. But there are 1001 other things which could trigger an attack if you use a computer (eg: simply reading text in a chat program involves eye movement which could trigger an attack) and I find it strange that it was only caused by the ads shown in Messenger which I never have withnessed to be flashing that rapidly or show patterns which could cause such an attack. So maybe it weren't the ads themselfs, but the actuall use of a chat program. Nevertheless, if you encounter such ads I strongly recommend to report them to Microsoft: http://messenger.msn.com/help/contactus.aspx
RE: Removing ad's? by linx05 on 01-08-2006 at 12:20 PM

quote:
Originally posted by groessl35
Try using A-Patch or Mess Patch... they might help... only try one though... I'll link to them in a moment.

A-Patch

Mess Patch

Hope this helps!

[offtopic] -- This is why they need a lite version--[/offtopic]
That A-Patch site is seriously out dated. Use Ahmads official site for linking: http://apatch.ikhost.com
RE: Removing ad's? by realrobley on 02-05-2006 at 10:51 PM

thanks guys for your help.

I loaded 6.2 w/Plus and thats seems to be working good.

Is there a way to hide the "A New Version is Available" message at the top? reallu it looks great except for that.

In regards to CookieRevised, yeah I am aware that other things can trigger an attack, it seems its the flashing, strobe, effects where shes most prone not so much general eye movement but I am aware it could happen, thanks for the heads-up.

PS. I have dontated+ sent a PostCard from Sarnia, Ontario, its the least I can do for someone that dumps so much into a great product like PLUS.

In another token of my thanks I will give any user from here a free premium iMail Account or PhotoBucket account, both are SSL Secured and 100% ad , popup, and banner free

for iMail visit
https://insarnia.ca/mail/signup.php

for PhotoBucket
https://insarnia.ca/img/signup.php?r=login

You will have to register for a free account, then drop me a line using the secured "contact us" with your username , letting me know your a PLUS member, and I will upgrade it free

thanks again

Robert L
Site Administrator
InSarnia.ca eServices
https://insarnia.ca

RE: Removing ad's? by Voldemort on 02-06-2006 at 06:24 PM

just a suggestion...
cant she use windows messenger?
or trillian or gaim..
or an  online messenger

RE: Removing ad's? by realrobley on 02-06-2006 at 06:45 PM

Actually yes, she really liked the original Windows Messenger, well the one that came with XP-Pro was very clean, no ad's or banners (my motto) and it worked well, with the exception of emoticons were crude.

Keep in mind this is an older version of XP-PRO, If I remember right it was XP-PRO ver2002 (build 2800) but they forced an update to one that was cluttered with flashy ads and bells and whistles she dont use.

I guess it makes since for security to mandate a update but atleast dont force advertising, I paid almost $700 CAN for my virgin windows at the time, and its not right to do that to customers that fork out that much and respect copyright laws.

I was looking through the registry for a way to disable the update checker, so I can get rid of that "A Newer verison is available" thats constantly at the top of the messenger window, if anyone knows a way please let me know.

Well thanks again ppl.

RE: Removing ad's? by ipab on 02-06-2006 at 07:03 PM

there is no registry hack for doing what you wanted. I think the only way for getting around that is to modify the build number using resource hacker http://www.angusj.com/resourcehacker/ (not sure but worth a shot). If you need help, post in this thread, I'm sure either other members or I will gladly assist you.

RE: Removing ad's? by CookieRevised on 02-06-2006 at 07:57 PM

I strongly suggest not to mess with that...

Updates are there for a reason: your security! If you don't update Messengers (Windows and/or MSN) you bound to have security leaks and holes and whatever.

Unless you want to get infected with a virus or being hacked, etc...

RE: Removing ad's? by nightblade06 on 02-08-2006 at 03:52 PM

have you thought of editing msn messeger with a resource hacker. i did ad it worked fine i got rid of the advertisments at the bottom and also tabs here i took a screenie:
[Image: clist.bmp]

If you want to use this then copy your old msnmsgr.exe, usually found in the directory c:\program files\msn messenger, to a folder called backup or just rename it. Once you have done that download this file:

Msn Messenger without ads

Now move this to the folder  c:\program files\msn messenger. Run msn messenger and enjoy your msn messenger without ads.

RE: Removing ad's? by CookieRevised on 02-08-2006 at 05:44 PM

nightblade06, don't attach executables like that without saying for which exact version they are. What you attached is for one specific messenger v ersion. Moreover, using the executable from you will render any other patches or skins useless and even will cripple Messenger if used on the wrong build version.

Instead, the solution to modify messenger like that (by patching messenger), without depending on a specific version!, was already given in the 2nd and 3rd post of this thread by groessl35 and Animal.

So, I advise realrobley not to use that attachment of yours and instead use the patch programs suggest by groessl35 and Animal...

RE: Removing ad's? by markee on 02-09-2006 at 09:22 AM

Cookie just to let you know the latest build of msn 7.5 is 7.5.0324 not 7.5.0322, it's now official as well saw it yesterday on mess.be

RE: Removing ad's? by CookieRevised on 02-09-2006 at 10:39 AM

[OFF TOPIC]

quote:
Originally posted by markee
Cookie just to let you know the latest build of msn 7.5 is 7.5.0324 not 7.5.0322, it's now official as well saw it yesterday on mess.be
thanks, but yep I know...

Though, it is impossible to update every post on this forum which states a 'latest' version.

If you want a specific post being updated, PM the one who made the post; don't make such messages in threads (otherwise you could make such a message in hundreds of other threads also, which will be considered spam. And it isn't of much use anyways as people can easly see the time/date the post was made. Also updates will always be there.)

Moreover, the point of that post from me in this thread which stated the 'latest' versions is to show that there are more than one latest versions not just 1. The point was not so to exactly state the exact build of all the latest versions, for that the user needs to search them for himself as they will always be updates anyways.

;)

[/OFF TOPIC]