Shoutbox

install data error - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+---- Forum: WLM Plus! Help (/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+----- Thread: install data error (/showthread.php?tid=54749)

install data error by somelauw on 01-08-2006 at 12:26 PM

When installing I get this Dutch error:
I will translate it in English:

Messenger plus! Installing data error!
Access to disk has been refused or installinf file has been damaged
Some possibilities to fix the problem are:
Login with administrate rights(I'm the only user)
Install in another directory(I thought it was installed in program files and where else it has to be installed)
Restart computer(already done)
Download from another source(where??????)

After that msn messenger is opened without msnplus functions and when looking for msnplus in the programfiles folder it seems to be installed(but maybe it is not complete)

RE: install data error by linx05 on 01-08-2006 at 12:28 PM

Clear your cache and download a fresh copy from this site.

Also, when taking a screenshot of something, save it in a different format other than .bmp (e.g. jpg, png, gif). It makes it easy for people on dialup. :)

RE: RE: install data error by somelauw on 01-08-2006 at 12:33 PM

quote:
Originally posted by linx05

Also, when taking a screenshot of something, save it in a different format other than .bmp (e.g. jpg, png, gif). It makes it easy for people on dialup. :)

I will try it

In the future I will change it in another format, except when a clear screenshot is needed.
RE: RE: RE: install data error by CookieRevised on 01-08-2006 at 12:46 PM

[OFF TOPIC]

quote:
Originally posted by somelauw
quote:

I will try it

In the future I will change it in another format, except when a clear screenshot is needed.

Even when a clear screenshot is needed, you can/must use other formats. Use GIF, PNG or JPG, but never BMP.

A clear/lossless screenshot is in 99,999999999% of all cases never required and in the extremely rare case it is required, use PNG.

CookieRevised's reply to 'why not bmp'

[/OFF TOPIC]

RE: RE: install data error by somelauw on 01-08-2006 at 01:12 PM

quote:

I have deleted the folder MessengerPlus! 3 from programfiles and installed it again(if that's the thing you meant with clear cache), and again the pop-up appeared and a maybe-uncomplete folder remained.

If that's not what you meant with clearing cache, could you give me a description how to clear cache?
RE: install data error by linx05 on 01-09-2006 at 08:05 AM

You should never delete the program folder! Always uninstall it properly!

And no, that is not what I meant. I meant clear your cache from IE or Opera or whatever browser you are using. If you don't know how to do that, tell us what browser you are using and then I/someone can walk you through the steps.

RE: install data error by somelauw on 01-09-2006 at 11:39 AM

I use internet explorer 6, could you please tell me how to clear cache?

RE: install data error by linx05 on 01-10-2006 at 05:41 AM

Go to Tools > Internet Options > Delete Files.

RE: install data error by somelauw on 01-10-2006 at 05:07 PM

I have done what you said and my pc feels a lot faster now, after that I tried to install it again but again the annoying pop-up appeared; after that I turned off the computer, but about an half hour later when I start msn messenger it starts with msn plus version 3.62.146 in English(not the language it should be installed in).

I don't understand anything about these happened actions.

RE: install data error by LoftHeR on 01-10-2006 at 06:16 PM

it' same happened to me...
same error occured!
what should i do?

RE: install data error by linx05 on 01-11-2006 at 02:32 AM

Uninstall what you can of Plus!. It seems you've done enough damage to it by deleting the folder it was in and not doing a proper uninstall.

Clear your cache and download Messenger Plus!. Then install it.

RE: install data error by Hank on 01-11-2006 at 02:49 AM

does the "patchou" registry key still exist?

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Patchou i think is the right one  if so Delete the Patchou registry Key

RE: install data error by somelauw on 01-11-2006 at 04:20 PM

I have uninstalled it and also deleted settings and plug-ins, after that I cleared cache and put the checkbox that asks whether I want to delete off line files too to on/true and restarted pc because some files were locked, eventually I installed it again but no Messenger Plus .

Animal said I had to delete a registy key but I don't understand how to get on that link; I tried to run HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\ to open folder but my pc didn't understand, maybe the directory is longer at beginning.

Update of second alinea:
run regedit and then further; (default)=(no value). But I haven't deleted that yet.

RE: install data error by RaceProUK on 01-11-2006 at 04:32 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Animal

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Patchou i think is the right one  if so Delete the Patchou registry Key
That key doesn't need deleting.
RE: install data error by linx05 on 01-12-2006 at 08:18 AM

Now you did download it again?

If so, what happened? Were there any error messages? Anything?

RE: RE: install data error by Hank on 01-12-2006 at 08:23 AM

quote:
Originally posted by raceprouk
quote:

That key doesn't need deleting.

Might be a good idea coz from my experience on the net/computers, a Corrupt registry key can cause issues
RE: install data error by RaceProUK on 01-12-2006 at 11:30 AM

In this case though, a corrupt key wouldn't affect the installation at all.

RE: install data error by Hank on 01-12-2006 at 11:45 AM

quote:

. not so lonmg ago iv'e had that problem where it has, so fixing the provlem i had to delete the Key which fixed it
RE: RE: install data error by CookieRevised on 01-12-2006 at 03:38 PM

quote:
quote:

. not so lonmg ago iv'e had that problem where it has, so fixing the provlem i had to delete the Key which fixed it

no matter what you delete, change, mess up or whatever, a 'corrupt' registry key in Messenger Plus! does not effect the installation of Messenger Plus!, as raceprouk has said.

I might for other applications, but not for Messenger Plus!; the installation of Messenger Plus! does not depend on what is stored in the registry.
RE: RE: install data error by somelauw on 01-13-2006 at 03:48 PM

quote:
Now you did download it again?

If so, what happened? Were there any error messages? Anything?

Yes, I executed the steps and I downloaded it again before writing the last reply and there was one message that some files were locked and would be deleted after restarting windows as I said and when installing the install-data-error occured ,

The only difference this time was that I couldn't find messenger plus in the program files at all after an unsuccesful installation.

15-jan-05
I tried it again but this time I didn't close messenger off before installing(right mouse, last button below) and ??? it installs perfect!
Maybe this is not the reason but I'm happy it works.

Thank you all very much for helping me! Sorry to have troubled you! I hope LoftHer who had the same problem also has succeeded to install. (And sorry for my bad English.:P)