Shoutbox

Messenger Plus! and MSN Messenger 8 - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+---- Forum: WLM Plus! Help (/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+----- Thread: Messenger Plus! and MSN Messenger 8 (/showthread.php?tid=54764)

Messenger Plus! and MSN Messenger 8 by G7LFC on 01-08-2006 at 10:04 PM

Hi, my first post here and I'm a sad little chappy.

My friend hyped Messenger so much, I thought I just gotta have it. Hey, it looks great.

Unfortunately, I'm testing MSN Messenger 8 and Messenger Plus! reports that itm won't work with the new software. I suspect it will and suspect that the version trap is to trap older version of the software.

So, when, oh when, will I be able to run Messenger Plus! with Messenger 8? Please make it be soon.

By the way, can I install Messenger Plus and use it to limit the people who my son can connect to?

Thanks for your help.

Regards
Derek

RE: Messenger Plus! and MSN Messenger 8 by expert on 01-08-2006 at 10:09 PM

well i know it does come out in 2006 http://www.msgpluslive.net/ there is the site and all you can do is wait derek

RE: Messenger Plus! and MSN Messenger 8 by Weyzza on 01-08-2006 at 10:10 PM

quote:
Originally posted by G7LFC
So, when, oh when, will I be able to run Messenger Plus! with Messenger 8? Please make it be soon.

quote:
Originally posted by Patchou
Don't expect any public beta of Messenger Plus! Live for now, there's still way too much work to do on it before it can be considered "public ready". I'll try keeping you up to date but one thing is sure: Messenger Plus! Live 4.00 will be released at about the same time as Windows Live Messenger 8.00 (final public release).

RE: Messenger Plus! and MSN Messenger 8 by Sunshine on 01-08-2006 at 10:12 PM

There won't be a Plus! for WLM until WLM is publicly released.

You can still use the current Messenger Plus! (for the newest go to http://www.msgplus.net ) for older MSN versions or Windows Messenger, but you can in no way limit the people your son connects to with it. The newest Plus! will recognize WLM so you won't have Plus in the menu with the compatibility warning.

RE: Messenger Plus! and MSN Messenger 8 by G7LFC on 01-08-2006 at 10:32 PM

Thanks for the replies.

I have got the latest version of Plus! but it does have the compatiility warning unfortunately.

RE: Messenger Plus! and MSN Messenger 8 by Sunshine on 01-08-2006 at 10:34 PM

quote:
Originally posted by G7LFC
Thanks for the replies.

I have got the latest version of Plus! but it does have the compatiility warning unfortunately.
Have you rebooted your computer yet? It might need that.

RE: Messenger Plus! and MSN Messenger 8 by CookieRevised on 01-26-2006 at 11:28 PM

quote:
Originally posted by mfragola
there is no plugin that does that, right??
no... and it wouldn't work either because a plugin can be disabled...

quote:
think the paid version of msn that used to exist had that feature
MSN Messenger is always been free. There never was a version which you had to pay for...
RE: RE: Messenger Plus! and MSN Messenger 8 by mfragola on 01-26-2006 at 11:40 PM

quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
quote:

but you can set a password to messenger plus!' preferences dude

quote:
quote:
think the paid version of msn that used to exist had that feature
MSN Messenger is always been free. There never was a version which you had to pay for...

I know, but for your info, ther is sth called msn 8 (i think it's now v9) for which you do pay and get extra features, including
"In addition to Web site filtering, you can specify which contacts your children can and cannot communicate with MSN Messenger,"
taken from http://www.winsupersite.com/reviews/msn8.asp

so don't talk for free :)
RE: Messenger Plus! and MSN Messenger 8 by Voldemort on 01-26-2006 at 11:44 PM

No, that is MSN 8 explorer , it is not  MSN MESSENGER or WLM.
so dont talk for free.

RE: RE: RE: Messenger Plus! and MSN Messenger 8 by CookieRevised on 01-27-2006 at 12:00 AM

quote:
quote:
quote:

but you can set a password to messenger plus!' preferences dude
1) the preferences password can easly be disabled
2) As I said, plugins can be disabled at all times with a wide array of methods.
3) The "child" can even decide to not run Messenger Plus! at all.

It will not work, in any way...

RE: Messenger Plus! and MSN Messenger 8 by mfragola on 01-27-2006 at 01:48 AM

quote:
Originally posted by damm-o
No, that is MSN 8 explorer , it is not  MSN MESSENGER or WLM.
so dont talk for free.

I know man, I didn't talk for free :P, I just wanted to let him know there is a possibility to limit the people who his son can connect to!!

and Cookie, not all children have that knowledge of computing, of course it can be disabled, you can bypass almost anything, but that COULD help sb. And besides, if his father will block who he will talk to, he must be VERY young, or that's what I thought.

And please let's stop this unuseful discussion, we are all after all trying to help this guy :D

RE: Messenger Plus! and MSN Messenger 8 by CookieRevised on 01-27-2006 at 11:48 PM

You don't have to be a rocket scientist to figure out how to disable such stuff, or simply delete a file. Using Plus! or a plugin for this is as good as useless and extremely ineffective.

If you want to secure and control what your child does and who he is talking to, you need a total secured environment package on Windows, not some "simple" external program which can be disabled without any effort.

There is also no reason to believe that the child must be "very" young at all; parents can and should still be able to tell their 15 year old children what or what not to do. And even very young people know often more than enough (or expirment more than enough) to know how to disable, or simply not use, a specific addon.

Suggestion a plugin or addon for msn messenger for this is useless and extremely insecure and ineffective.