Shoutbox

Upgrading Processor and RAM - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: Upgrading Processor and RAM (/showthread.php?tid=54798)

Upgrading Processor and RAM by Purity on 01-09-2006 at 09:41 PM

Alright, I'd like to upgrade my computer, I want to have a 64 bit processor, the thing i'm wondering is, do all 64 bit processors have the same performance, or is any of them faster than the other, because the prices on them range alot, and i'm wondering how others are better than the other one.

Anothing thing is RAM, I currently have 512MB's of ram, I'd like to get another 512 so i have one Gig(i think), I already see one that I'm interested in, costs 100$ and, like, can i just through in any kinda ram in my computer, i have an asus motherboard.  Does it have to be a specific kind, like does it have to match the brand or does it have to be teh same.  I don't usually mess with computer hardware.

thanks

RE: Upgrading Processor and RAM by Jhrono on 01-09-2006 at 09:56 PM

Just one thing, why 64 Bits ?

RE: Upgrading Processor and RAM by Jhrono on 01-09-2006 at 09:58 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Johny

quote:
Originally posted by nimicitor

1st off there isnt any point getting a 64 yet as you wont see any difference until everthing else is 64 too.
Exactly, iirc some programs don't work on 64 bits systems.. or better, most don't
RE: Upgrading Processor and RAM by Purity on 01-09-2006 at 09:59 PM

I was reading about a new 64 bit coming out that completely supports
all 32 bit programs and apps... etc...I want a 64 bit pretty much
because my ex-girlfriend has it already.. and i don't :P

RE: Upgrading Processor and RAM by Ezra on 01-09-2006 at 10:06 PM

I think you also need a new MoBo if you want to do that.

And mostly the newer ones are better and more expensive :P, so choose one that you can afford and gives you enough power :)

RE: Upgrading Processor and RAM by Plik on 01-09-2006 at 10:18 PM

quote:
Why 64 bits? For forewards compatibility? If he buys a new fast 32bit processor now, he will only start to need to buy a 64bit in a few years :-/ its called an investment.

quote:
Exactly, iirc some programs don't work on 64 bits systems.. or better, most don't
Incorrect, 64bit processors run every single 32bit app fine, however some programs (eg plus) don't run on 64bit windows meaning aslong as he uses 32bit windows everything will be fine.

quote:
Originally posted by Purity
Does it have to be a specific kind, like does it have to match the brand or does it have to be teh same.  I don't usually mess with computer hardware.
Check your motherboard documentation for information on what types of RAM it supports.
You can use two different speeds of ram, but this is a bad idea because it forces the memory bus to run at the speed of the slowest module, hence making the extra speed on the faster one pointless, so the sensable option is to use matching modules.

quote:
Originally posted by Purity
the thing i'm wondering is, do all 64 bit processors have the same performance, or is any of them faster than the other, because the prices on them range alot, and i'm wondering how others are better than the other one.
Just like 32bit processors they all vary in flavors, you have different clock speeds, power consumtions and some have duel cores (in effect two processors in one). However the better the specs the more it costs.

My advice is to buy some pc magazines that review compontants and read up on the best value componants
RE: Upgrading Processor and RAM by Purity on 01-09-2006 at 10:21 PM

Thanks very much, you pretty much answered all my questions.
thanks again.
[Image: msn_happy.gif]

RE: Upgrading Processor and RAM by D:Frag on 01-10-2006 at 10:55 AM

I agree on matching modules, better if they're same brand and type, you can take advantage of the dual channel memory on some motherboards (faster), doesn't matter what brand or type, as long as they're the same.

RE: Upgrading Processor and RAM by Rubber Stamp on 01-10-2006 at 03:24 PM

how do i check wat bit my processor is??

RE: Upgrading Processor and RAM by lizard.boy on 01-10-2006 at 09:29 PM

if you dont know assume its a 32 bit processor. only certain pentium (pentium d?) processors are 64 bit and there not that commen. If you have an amd system there is a better chance of a 64 bit athlon processor. if it is more than a year old i'd assume at 32 bits.

RE: Upgrading Processor and RAM by TylerG on 01-10-2006 at 09:51 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Rubber Stamp
how do i check wat bit my processor is??
It is most likely a 32 as lizard.boy said, but to check just right click on my computer>properties and it will show which type processer you have.
RE: Upgrading Processor and RAM by Purity on 01-10-2006 at 09:56 PM

If it is 64 bit, alot of the times it will say it on the tower... :P

RE: Upgrading Processor and RAM by paperless on 01-10-2006 at 10:12 PM

quote:

I have an AMD 64 and i run all 32 Bits apps i can.

Why? Because this computer was built thinking about the next 3 years, and by there im sure there will be a lot of 64 bits apps.

For Purity:

Youll need a new mobo if you want 64 Bit processors..
RE: Upgrading Processor and RAM by Th3rmal on 01-11-2006 at 12:56 AM

i just upgrade my pc  with a new processor (AMD Athlon 64 3200+), graphics card (GeForce 6600gt 256mb), 1 gb ram, Gigabyte Ga-K8NF-9 mobo, dual layer dvd burner and 550 watt power supply and everything runs absolutely perfectly on mine (of course after installing all the drivers etc.) Since i upgrade my computer it has hardly ever lagged and can run everything to its max lvl

RE: Upgrading Processor and RAM by Dan0208 on 01-11-2006 at 03:37 AM

Also if you are thinking of upgrading that RAM from 512 to 1GB using another 512mb stick. make sure you know how many ram slots you have on the motherboard before going out and buying the RAM.
Also if you have two slots make sure your current 512 is not made up of 2 x 256 instead of 1 x 512.

RE: Upgrading Processor and RAM by colddove on 01-11-2006 at 09:16 PM

First, I'd take a look at the specs of your motherboard. Look in the documentation or on the manufacturers website. After you've checked the specs, you can determine what it can handle. If it's an Intel, you're looking for a processor that has EM64T (Extended Memory 64 Technology). If it's an AMD Athlon 64 .... chips or newer have support for 64 bit computing. As for your RAM, you'd again have to look at the specs of your motherboard to see what type & speed and how much it can handle and then go from there.