Shoutbox

MSN Messenger Options/question - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Skype & Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+----- Thread: MSN Messenger Options/question (/showthread.php?tid=54848)

MSN Messenger Options/question by alegator on 01-11-2006 at 02:16 PM

when I go to Tools/Options/Security Tab there's a checkbox labeled "Allow me to connect directly to my contacts when sending messages". This checkbox is greyed (inactive), so I can't select it or deselect it. How can I fix this? Thanks
I have MSN Messenger 7.5.0322 with Messenger Plus (latest version) and A-Patch.

RE: MSN Messenger Options/question by Sunshine on 01-11-2006 at 02:20 PM

You can't fix this, apparently it's not possible (in your country) to directly connect to your contacts anymore.

RE: MSN Messenger Options/question by alegator on 01-11-2006 at 06:31 PM

How do you know that? And what is the advantage of direclty connecting with my contacts? Thanks.

RE: MSN Messenger Options/question by Sunshine on 01-11-2006 at 08:10 PM

If it was available it wouldn't be greyed out. Only possible advantage a direct connection might have that it's slightly faster (you wouldn't notice the difference really).

RE: MSN Messenger Options/question by alegator on 01-11-2006 at 11:48 PM

1) Maybe it's greyed out because of a bug in the installation/program?
2) Slower connection....maybe that's why the display pictures of my contacts in the contact list take ages to appear, or they never show up at all (only after oopening a convo window with that contact and waiting a few seconds)...?

RE: MSN Messenger Options/question by Lou on 01-11-2006 at 11:51 PM

No this wouldn't be greyed out because of an installation error as this is in the program itself and should have nothing to do with a problem in the installation.

quote:
Originally posted by alegator
Slower connection
This has likely nothing to do with this and as said by sunshine, it probably wouldn't make much of a difference.
RE: MSN Messenger Options/question by Hank on 01-12-2006 at 12:10 AM

if you live in Australia, you cant check the Box, ,, which in a way is dumb coz im pretty Sure ICQ/AIM supports direct Connection to Contact,

RE: MSN Messenger Options/question by techcafe on 09-17-2006 at 06:39 PM

the option to 'connect directly to my contacts' is unavailable (greyed-out and unchecked) for me as well... i'm in canada.

from what i've read, just like e-mail, conversations via IM chat clients like MSN Messenger, et al are NOT private and not encrypted, AND even archived on the service provider's servers (microsoft in this case), which has been deemed mandatory (in the US) by the Dept of Homeland Security.  so, it would follow from that, MSNIM direct connections b/w contacts would contravene the US government's requirement that IMs be retained/archived by the service provider for security/surveillance purposes.

obviously, i can't verify if this is true, and if indeed it were the case, how would any of us know or find-out???  it's not like they're gonna tell us, which would only defeat their intelligence gathering efforts.

i think it's reasonable to assume that *anything* we do online (all traffic traversing the internet), is subject to the scrutiny of US security/intelligence gathering agencies.

any other thoughts on this?