Shoutbox

Can i view encryped chat log without Messenger plus! - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+---- Forum: WLM Plus! Help (/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+----- Thread: Can i view encryped chat log without Messenger plus! (/showthread.php?tid=54865)

Can i view encryped chat log without Messenger plus! by H2Oat0C32F on 01-11-2006 at 11:12 PM

well... yeah.... my question is... Can i view encryped chat log without Messenger plus! .... is there a little tool or something that can let us decrypt the encrpypted chat log without installing MSN Messenger Plus! ??:S

RE: Can i view encryped chat log without Messenger plus! by Sunshine on 01-11-2006 at 11:23 PM

Nope, this isn't possible i'm afraid.

RE: Can i view encryped chat log without Messenger plus! by H2Oat0C32F on 01-12-2006 at 12:19 AM

i mean like... can pathou make a little tool the seperates from messenger plus so that we can view our chat log in another that don't have messenger plus installed.. the password is still requires... just without the messenger plus @@ coz i was afraid what if someday messenger plus does no longer exist @@ e.. i mean only IF.... yeah...

RE: Can i view encryped chat log without Messenger plus! by Patchou on 01-12-2006 at 06:51 PM

Don't worry, that will be possible with the next version :)

RE: Can i view encryped chat log without Messenger plus! by H2Oat0C32F on 01-12-2006 at 09:33 PM

ohoh... icic...  thanks.. ar.... sorry about the misspell your name.... Patchou ^^;

RE: Can i view encryped chat log without Messenger plus! by ipab on 01-13-2006 at 04:26 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Patchou
Don't worry, that will be possible with the next version (Smilie)
That makes me very happy patch. That way I can just call w/e you are going to make and get the user to input the pass to unencrypt his files, this is for a plugin that I wanted to make btw [Image: msn_happy.gif].
RE: Can i view encryped chat log without Messenger plus! by CookieRevised on 01-13-2006 at 07:26 AM

quote:
Originally posted by H2Oat0C32F
i mean like... can pathou make a little tool the seperates from messenger plus so that we can view our chat log in another that don't have messenger plus installed.. the password is still requires... just without the messenger plus @@ coz i was afraid what if someday messenger plus does no longer exist @@ e.. i mean only IF.... yeah...
You don't neccesairly need to have Plus! fully installed to view encrypted logs. All you need is the msgplus.exe file.

And that wouldn't dissapear since you always can have a copy of that; it doesn't expire (heck I even have small programs/tools from 10 years ago which don't longer 'exist')

quote:
Originally posted by ipab
That makes me very happy patch. That way I can just call w/e you are going to make and get the user to input the pass to unencrypt his files, this is for a plugin that I wanted to make btw :D
You already can do that.

quote:
Don't worry, that will be possible with the next version :)
How is that going to be different than what you already can do right now? I mean, if you are going to make an external program, isn't that the same than simply starting msgplus.exe with the appropiate parameter (except it maybe will be smaller than the 186Kb which the current msgplus.exe program is)?

Or do you mean something differently like including a plugin function which you also can parse a password to, to do the same (which is probably what ipab understood, dunno), which would be (Y)(Y)(Y) of course (though a security risk in some way as making brute forcers with this would be easy I imagine) :D

-----------------------

So...

What has been asked can already be done (even in a plugin).

All it requires is that you have the program msgplus.exe; you don't need any other file like a DLL or whatever and you don't need anything to be installed.

Aka: You can have a copy of msgplus.exe and then fully uninstall Plus! and it will still work because the decrypting routine of Messenger Plus! is stand-alone, so to speak, inside msgplus.exe; it doesn't depend on anything.

All you need to do is start msgplus.exe with the appropiate parameter like so:

msgplus.exe /log:encrypted_logfile

eg: msgplus.exe /log:events.ple

PS: don't forget to use use quotes (") when your filename is a long filename with spaces!
eg: "c:\special tools\msgplus.exe" /log:"c:\special logs\encrypted events jan 2005.ple"

Important: distributing only msgplus.exe is not allowed. But for your own use you can of course make a copy of that file and use it as described above.
RE: Can i view encryped chat log without Messenger plus! by H2Oat0C32F on 01-13-2006 at 07:38 AM

umm... ic... thx... keke...

RE: Can i view encryped chat log without Messenger plus! by solus on 01-15-2006 at 02:07 PM

I do have a small tool which will decrypt and encrypt log files, but until i get the ok from Patchou im not releasing it

RE: Can i view encryped chat log without Messenger plus! by WDZ on 01-16-2006 at 04:53 AM

solus, your thread has been moved back... ;)

http://shoutbox.menthix.net/showthread.php?tid=54794

RE: Can i view encryped chat log without Messenger plus! by solus on 01-16-2006 at 07:38 PM

RE: Can i view encryped chat log without Messenger plus! by Patchou on 01-19-2006 at 03:53 AM

You are right, msgplus.exe can already be used this way. However, it was never meant to be run standalone and needs some registry keys to function properly.

In Messenger Plus!, a special application called Log Viewer aill be included. You'll be able to use the application with its exe only, nothing else will be required (so you can keep a copy of it somewhere, like in your logs directory if you want to be sure you'll always have a way to decrypt your files). This program will also have some clear command line parameters to let you encrypt/decrypt file or change your password in a given file. Launching it without parameters will display a nice GUI that lets you browse your logs and see everything nicely in an IE control.

You'll see all of that in the beta Cookie :).

RE: Can i view encryped chat log without Messenger plus! by H2Oat0C32F on 01-19-2006 at 04:05 AM

Log Viewer ? umm.. do u mean the Messenger Plus's plug-in ? well.. itz actually a separate application right ? umm... can u explain how to use it with the msgplus.exe to decrypt the log file? thanks ...  :)

RE: RE: Can i view encryped chat log without Messenger plus! by CookieRevised on 01-19-2006 at 10:59 AM

quote:
You'll see all of that in the beta Cookie :).
whaaa... cool!!!

quote:
Log Viewer ? umm.. do u mean the Messenger Plus's plug-in?
Nope

quote:
well.. itz actually a separate application right ?
Yep

quote:
umm... can u explain how to use it with the msgplus.exe to decrypt the log file? thanks ...  :)
If you mean with this new application included in the new Plus!, then you'll have to wait till it is released. But it will be self-explainary I assume.

If you mean how you can view logs now with the existing Plus! app, then see my previous post in this thread where I already explained it.
RE: Can i view encryped chat log without Messenger plus! by H2Oat0C32F on 01-19-2006 at 12:42 PM

well.. i saw that already.. but as patchou mentioned the Log Viewer... so i just wonderng  how to use Log Viewer with msgplus.exe to decrypt the log files ^^;

RE: Can i view encryped chat log without Messenger plus! by Dempsey on 01-19-2006 at 12:49 PM

quote:
well.. i saw that already.. but as patchou mentioned the Log Viewer... so i just wonderng  how to use Log Viewer with msgplus.exe to decrypt the log files ^^;
Patchou means the upcoming Messenger Plus! Live will contain a standalone Log Viewer, he doesn't mean the currently available Log Viewer by Lopardo.
RE: Can i view encryped chat log without Messenger plus! by H2Oat0C32F on 01-19-2006 at 12:56 PM

oops~~ really? ^^; haha~ icic then... thanks.. then i can wait till it come out... haha...