Shoutbox

tell me if they can do that. - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: General (/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+---- Forum: General Chit Chat (/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+----- Thread: tell me if they can do that. (/showthread.php?tid=54866)

tell me if they can do that. by guanako on 01-11-2006 at 11:20 PM

ok for people on the forums that are old enough or can and have a credit card/debit/check card, is the people at the store or the place where you are paying allowed or are they supposed to ask for ID (identification card) to make sure that it  is your card you are paying with. because i pay at places some ask for it some dont and i dont know on wat goverment site it could tell me about this. this is US realted in case some of you dont know where i am. anyone can help out?

RE: tell me if they can do that. by kotjze on 01-11-2006 at 11:27 PM

They can only ask if the signatures don't match, but I think they might be able to if they definately know it's not your card, or maybe even if the name the name of the card is female but the person using it isn't (there are some exceptions with some names :/)

RE: tell me if they can do that. by guanako on 01-11-2006 at 11:34 PM

but they ask even before i sing, i would think it be right if they do it after i sing so they can compared them but i just hand out my card and they're like "can i see your ID too.''  im like  ¬¬

RE: tell me if they can do that. by Lou on 01-11-2006 at 11:48 PM

quote:
Originally posted by guanako
but they ask even before i sing, i would think it be right if they do it after i sing so they can compared them but i just hand out my card and they're like "can i see your ID too.''  im like  ¬¬
They just take some precautions obviously. If I were you, I would not mind because you obviously have nothing to hide.

---
For those who ask, yes I do have a debit card, and yes it is at my name and yes I can do whatever I want with it.
RE: tell me if they can do that. by Voldemort on 01-11-2006 at 11:49 PM

Yes they can, i mean, if someone stole ur credit card u will be grateful because he could not pay with it,and he gets arrested

RE: tell me if they can do that. by D:Frag on 01-11-2006 at 11:51 PM

They want to know if it's your card before they charge it for your purchases... the name on the ID must match the one on the card.

Just think about this, you lose your card and somebody else finds it. If ID wasn't required, then that person would be able to buy lots of stuff and be billed to you :\

RE: tell me if they can do that. by Voldemort on 01-11-2006 at 11:53 PM

quote:
Originally posted by lou_habs
For those who ask, yes I do have a debit card, and yes it is at my name and yes I can do whatever I want with it.

same here
RE: tell me if they can do that. by guanako on 01-12-2006 at 12:09 AM

but once i realize that i have lost it for good i woulndt doubt on reporting it. so the account freezes and when they try using it it will deny it, right before me there was a guy paying the same way he didnt get asked for nothing but i did :S im gonna try not to sound rude but sometimes i think it is part of discrimination.  idk

RE: tell me if they can do that. by ddunk on 01-12-2006 at 12:15 AM

It's not discrimination. They are supposed to check your id to make sure it is yours. You may think you can cancel your account quickly, but chances are you won't realize your card is gone right away.

RE: tell me if they can do that. by guanako on 01-12-2006 at 12:34 AM

i know it depends on the time and place where you report it but i mean, if you ask someone why not ask everyone for it right?

RE: tell me if they can do that. by Underlord on 01-12-2006 at 12:39 AM

Some people are just lazy or maybe they think you look dodgy.

RE: tell me if they can do that. by guanako on 01-12-2006 at 12:43 AM

how the f*** do you look dodgy :lol:

RE: tell me if they can do that. by Lou on 01-12-2006 at 01:00 AM

quote:
how the f*** do you look dodgy :lol:
What did you purchase? Maybe it was something needing 18 + years old and he didn't think you were.
RE: tell me if they can do that. by guanako on 01-12-2006 at 01:03 AM

it was a simple $7.99 necklace :S i dont buy anythin like smokes or anything, its funny :D next time they do it, on my most polite way i will ask 'why' :P

RE: tell me if they can do that. by NiteMare on 01-12-2006 at 01:24 AM

i work at teh gas station, so i'm handeling credit cards all the time, i watch for signatures, i watch:

-the speed of the signature
-the likeness of the signatures
-and the reactions of teh person
     -typicaly if they tryt to snach it back fast i make it very clear that i'm watching there signature

-but i've never had to ask for ID on a credit card, just smokes and lottery

next time someone asked you for id, ask them for there ID:P

RE: tell me if they can do that. by Voldemort on 01-12-2006 at 01:36 AM

its when they consider appropiate, in home depot they always ask for it... funny , when i went to south padre island (i go very frequently) my father and i went to the walmart, we bought food, and my father some miller six pack.
i carried the six from the cart and handed it to the guy and he told us we could not buy it because i handled it, and my father told him why, he reapeated the same crap, my father told him to call the manager, he said that it was because they thought i was not his son and that i gave him some money for him to buy the beer from me, my father shows my visa to him and he apologizes a few time and we stfo-ed them and we bought the beer
kida offtopic
it may be discrimination , gringos hate us latins

RE: RE: tell me if they can do that. by brian on 01-12-2006 at 01:50 AM

quote:
quote:
They just take some precautions obviously. If I were you, I would not mind because you obviously have nothing to hide.

---

Not to start any flames but I have not yet heared of a bank that allows you use the money as you want, anything you do with the money should be asked to your parents, then it can be used (for 18 and younger.)
RE: tell me if they can do that. by Voldemort on 01-12-2006 at 02:01 AM

citibank

RE: tell me if they can do that. by guanako on 01-12-2006 at 02:25 AM

i opened my account when i was 17 but i needed someone older to sing in with me in case i went around writing checks with no avaible balance, now that i am 'overage' i can have the account by myself, i guess i get this kind of stuff maybe because i dont look like im over 18, :S :P

RE: RE: tell me if they can do that. by D:Frag on 01-12-2006 at 02:38 AM

quote:
i know it depends on the time and place where you report it but i mean, if you ask someone why not ask everyone for it right?

Maybe because the other person was a regular customer? Or like NiteMare said, they check other stuff apart from your card... I am always asked for ID on every purchase, except for food in some places...
RE: RE: RE: tell me if they can do that. by ipab on 01-12-2006 at 02:38 AM

quote:
Originally posted by nvez
quote:
quote:

---

Not to start any flames but I have not yet heared of a bank that allows you use the money as you want, anything you do with the money should be asked to your parents, then it can be used (for 18 and younger.)

Only on a credit card. If its debit then in Canada, as soon as you are over the age of 16, you are allowed to sign up for an account without a parent co-signer.
RE: tell me if they can do that. by NiteMare on 01-12-2006 at 02:41 AM

for debit you don't even have to sign, because it requires a pin number

RE: tell me if they can do that. by saralk on 01-12-2006 at 05:16 PM

In england you can get a debit card when your 11 (with some banks, halifax give you a Visa Electron card at 11)

RE: tell me if they can do that. by Voldemort on 01-12-2006 at 09:59 PM

quote:
Originally posted by saralk
In england you can get a debit card when your 11 (with some banks, halifax give you a Visa Electron card at 11)

same here
RE: tell me if they can do that. by Lou on 01-12-2006 at 10:10 PM

quote:
Originally posted by nvez
Yes this is perfectly possible. You don't mean to flame, but it's what you do in every thread I post in.

-----

My parents signed for my debit card (well my dad did) and now I can buy whatever I want. I cannot buy things if my account is empty, like any other account. This isn't like a credit card, just a debit card. So before lying and posting things that are unrelated to you, think for 3 seconds. Just wanted to state something I know you should know : Caisse Populaire Desjardins.

-----

If it was just a necklace, then I don't see why he didn't ask the person in front of you, and not you. Do like Nitemare said, and ask for his id.
RE: tell me if they can do that. by kotjze on 01-12-2006 at 10:29 PM

quote:
sing

Stop saying "sing" x.x

It's "sign".
RE: tell me if they can do that. by guanako on 01-13-2006 at 12:18 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Kotjze
quote:
sing

Stop saying "sing" x.x

It's "sign".
wow, chill dude i think we all get wat i mean :P

RE: tell me if they can do that. by Adeptus on 01-13-2006 at 06:48 AM

quote:
is the people at the store or the place where you are paying allowed or are they supposed to ask for ID (identification card) to make sure that it  is your card you are paying with. because i pay at places some ask for it some dont and i dont know on wat goverment site it could tell me about this.

With few exceptions, a private business is allowed to require whatever they want as a condition of doing business with you.  Why would you expect (or want) the government to be involved in that?  As you say, some places have asked you for the ID and some have not. If this bothers you enough, vote with your feet and your money: shop at those stores that don't.

It is definitely reasonable for them to do that, though. 

As you probably know, you are not liable for fraudulent charges on your card if it is lost, stolen, or otherwise compromised.  All you have to do is sign an affidavit saying the charges were not made by you, and they promptly come off your account.  Sounds great, doesn't it?

Well -- that's a wonderful safety net for you and I, but not for the business that accepts credit cards.  You didn't expect the bank would eat the fraudulent charges, did you? :P  Of course not.  They will be reversed on the vendor who accepted the card.  The store will be ultimately out the money if they allow an unauthorized credit card transaction.

Quite honestly, I don't understand why all stores don't require IDs with credit cards, all the time.  It would make perfectly good sense for them to want to protect themselves and they've done that before (paying with a personal check has always involved presenting an ID).

RE: RE: tell me if they can do that. by Vilkku on 01-13-2006 at 07:11 AM

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Kotjze
quote:
sing

Stop saying "sing" x.x

It's "sign".
wow, chill dude i think we all get wat i mean :P

I didn't actually, I was like "wtf" :P

Anyway, the way I understand it is that the store HAS to check if it's your card by comparing the signature with one on for example your drivers license or ID card. With the modern machines where you enter your PIN (which I have only seen abroad) that isn't needed. Now, most stores don't check your ID, it never actually happend to me. But be thankful, they can't do any harm by just looking at your ID card (but you should not let them go to any "back room" with your credit card).
RE: tell me if they can do that. by guanako on 01-13-2006 at 02:18 PM

yeah, that was my point why do some places do it, and sometimes you go once they check, come back the next week or even the next day, and they dont :P it all depends on the person working i think, and also if you look 'dodgy' like someone said. i know they do it for a reason, but lets be fair if one gets asked for it,  we all should, that sounds right i think.

RE: tell me if they can do that. by LittleK on 01-15-2006 at 10:24 PM

You should all be like the brits, CHIP and PIN everywhere :D