Shoutbox

Reinstalling Windows - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: Reinstalling Windows (/showthread.php?tid=54930)

Reinstalling Windows by Reaper on 01-14-2006 at 04:09 PM

i feel like reformatting my computer. the only problem is that the only XP cd i have is my Dell recovery one.
i was wondering if i can still use even though ive changed 90% of the hardware in my dell

RE: Reinstalling Windows by [MR] on 01-14-2006 at 04:46 PM

yes you could probably still use it.  TylerG's dell came with a recovery cd and all it was, was a fresh install cd of windows xp.  i dont think it checks your hardware to let it install.  it is just a regular xp cd. 

RE: Reinstalling Windows by fishybobbins on 01-14-2006 at 04:50 PM

It should work fine (Mine did).

RE: Reinstalling Windows by Reaper on 01-14-2006 at 05:08 PM

ah wicked. what about using the same cd key which is on the side of the dell case (i replaced my case aswell :P)

RE: Reinstalling Windows by Jhrono on 01-14-2006 at 05:39 PM

Windows doesnt detect what case you have :P, just make sure you've still got the original key, or else .....

RE: Reinstalling Windows by Reaper on 01-14-2006 at 06:09 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Johny
Windows doesnt detect what case you have :P, just make sure you've still got the original key, or else .....
lol i no that :P, its an original key for my dell
so no problems then :P?
RE: Reinstalling Windows by [MR] on 01-14-2006 at 06:17 PM

nope, there is no other problems.

RE: Reinstalling Windows by Reaper on 01-15-2006 at 03:08 AM

ok i reinstalled, but i cant activate windows. i type in the key given on the side of the case, but it says its an invalid product key

RE: Reinstalling Windows by Hank on 01-15-2006 at 03:32 AM

u have to ring Microsoft for a New Activation product Key which is free,, all you do is when they ask for the old key, tell them over the phone an they'l give you a new one to put in,  (  it is installed on 1 computer isnt it)

RE: Reinstalling Windows by Reaper on 01-15-2006 at 03:37 AM

basically its a new hdd, because my original died on me. and im using the OEM key with the OEM installation. so just give microsoft a ring and everything should be ok
can i email them instead?

RE: Reinstalling Windows by Hank on 01-15-2006 at 03:40 AM

you can email Microsft , but i do not remeber the correct email address to do that, ( unless you find it )..yes just give them the old Prod key an they'll give you the New one over the phone,, it doesnt matter if its a New HDD or not, Microsoft stil requires you to enter in a New Key  you have 30 days to  activate it, but i know you can email them  i asked them awhile ago about it bt i didnt keep the address

RE: Reinstalling Windows by [MR] on 01-15-2006 at 04:33 AM

just call 1-800-MICROSOFT  and then go through the operator stuff and then pick the right line you want and then talk to one of the employees and tell them your problem and yall can work it out.

RE: Reinstalling Windows by Chris4 on 01-15-2006 at 11:48 AM

quote:
Originally posted by [MR
]just call 1-800-MICROSOFT

He's from England :P I'll try to find the UK phone number...
quote:
Originally posted by microsoft.com

To activate Windows XP over the telephone, you can simply call a toll-free* number displayed on your screen. A customer service representative will ask for the installation ID number displayed on the same screen, enter that number into a secure database, and return a confirmation ID to you. Once you have typed the confirmation ID, the activation process is complete.
When your trying to activate Windows, try and look for something that says 'activating Windows over the phone', it should say a 0800 telephone number which is free to call.
RE: Reinstalling Windows by Reaper on 01-15-2006 at 01:02 PM

thanx (Y)
btw, do i have to wait till monday to ring them, seeing as its sunday today, they might be closed...
[edit] nevermind now, called them up. everything is hunkydory