Shoutbox

Making disc images - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: Making disc images (/showthread.php?tid=54966)

Making disc images by Wabz on 01-15-2006 at 04:28 PM

I'm just curious how to even begin making a disc image for a laptop.  So say when everything goes wrong files deleted etc etc.  I bung a DVD / Cd in and it returns everything to my fine and dandy settings and saves me having to reinstall every single item of software, drivers, etc.

Cheers guys :grin:

RE: Making disc images by Supersonicdarky on 01-15-2006 at 04:32 PM

to make a cd image: UltraISO

But isnt it easier to do a sys restore? :undecided:

RE: Making disc images by Wabz on 01-15-2006 at 04:46 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Supersonicdarky
But isnt it easier to do a sys restore?

Not really theres times when you just need to format.

I think thats half of what I'm looking for.  I need a program that makes the CD/DVD format the harddrive and send the image (Like a disc you used to get off some computer manufacturers)
RE: Making disc images by Mike on 01-15-2006 at 05:03 PM

Norton Ghost :)

RE: Making disc images by Wabz on 01-17-2006 at 01:41 AM

IS there any cheaper options :S

All I want to do is make an exact copy of a harddisk and have a copy to burn back onto it when things go wrong

RE: Making disc images by Timothy003 on 01-17-2006 at 04:41 AM

If you wanted to make an exact copy of your harddrive, you'd need to buy another harddrive, which is expensive. Want cheap?

Another option is to just use some free backup program (Windows OneCare Live, etc.) to backup all your important files and save it into some CD/DVD. That's your cheapest option.

You don't need to copy your entire harddrive because you will find that there are a lot of OS software, unneeded/temporary/re-downloadable files, etc. on your harddrive. It would take up a lot of space to store those stuff that can be recovered later.
RE: Making disc images by [MR] on 01-17-2006 at 04:46 AM

i do know of a backup program called acronis true image that will back up your harddrive.  and there is a program from acronis as well that has other HDD utilities that may be use full click here :P