Shoutbox

SOLVED: (frustration no more) total frustration - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: SOLVED: (frustration no more) total frustration (/showthread.php?tid=54970)

SOLVED: (frustration no more) total frustration by [MR] on 01-15-2006 at 06:34 PM

Here is the deal,  i switched Mobo and processor a few weeks ago so i could play games at a decent speed.  i started to install windows xp.  at the 34 minute mark the screen flickers on and off.  then the computer just restarts itself and continues that cycle forever.  it does that in the detecting hardware stage of installation.  so i then give up on it and jsut install windows 2000.  now i am so frustrated about my internet it is like dial up.  when i had xp before i switched Mobo the wireless internet was not going in the pattern that follows: 54mbs, 24mbs, 0 mbps, 54mbps, 24mbps, 0mbps and so on.  it will do this every few seconds and it is really annoying.  when i was using windows xp with the wireless internet the signal would fade about every 10 minutes. 

now back the windows xp install problem:  the only thing i can think of that is causing it to do that would be my graphics card.  but i need that graphics card.    but then again the first time i installed windows xp on the first computer who had this mobo with the graphics card it had worked.  the only thing is, is that i dont think that version of xp i used had sp2.  when i had done that i did an upgradde from windows ME to xp.  now i am trying to do that same thing but from win2k to xp pro sp2.  is there any kind of settings in the bios or somthing that i can change so i can get this graphics card to work with xp on my computer with this mobo and processor? 

thanks. 

RE: total frustration by Timothy003 on 01-15-2006 at 07:14 PM

My Windows XP disk has SP2 included in it. Probably you are right about your graphics card, so SP2 might be interfering with installation because of the graphics card. Try searching through your graphics card's manufacturer's website and contact them about the problem.

RE: total frustration by [MR] on 01-15-2006 at 08:14 PM

i submitted a question to Nvidia's supprot website.  now all i can do it wait for a response unless anyone else knows how to help.

RE: total frustration by RaceProUK on 01-16-2006 at 12:51 PM

The graphics card won't be stopping Windows installing.

RE: total frustration by [MR] on 01-16-2006 at 03:12 PM

quote:
Originally posted by raceprouk
The graphics card won't be stopping Windows installing.
then what is? tell me so i can install xp :D
RE: total frustration by Reaper on 01-16-2006 at 03:44 PM

does your computer fit the minimum requirements for xp?
im sure it does but just checkin :P

RE: total frustration by Timothy003 on 01-16-2006 at 07:23 PM

Didn't he just say that he had WinXP installed before? 8-)

RE: total frustration by FormulaFreak on 01-16-2006 at 08:17 PM

It could very well be SP2
Maybe you can check this link. See the fifth and sixth link on that page.

just search google for "service pack 2" problems...maybe you'll find more ;)

RE: total frustration by [MR] on 01-16-2006 at 11:51 PM

i checked the links formula,  do you think maybe that i should install xp with out the graphics card in and then install the graphics card?  i say this becuase i have dual monitering right now and the MoBo has a ghraphics card in it so i guess i could try that.

RE: total frustration by Hank on 01-17-2006 at 12:04 AM

what Nvidia card have you got?

RE: total frustration by [MR] on 01-17-2006 at 12:13 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Animal
what Nvidia card have you got?
geforce mx 4000
RE: RE: total frustration by CookieRevised on 01-17-2006 at 03:01 AM

quote:
Originally posted by [MR]
i checked the links formula,  do you think maybe that i should install xp with out the graphics card in and then install the graphics card?  i say this becuase i have dual monitering right now and the MoBo has a ghraphics card in it so i guess i could try that.
There is (part of) your problem....

The flickering can be due to switching screens. Windows tries to determine which monitor is which and if there are moni's connected at all.

Also, it is known that their might be conflicts with build-in graphic cards and external ones. For some mobo's you need to explicitly set jumpers on the mobo or config the bios before inserting/using external graphic cards.

Also, it is wise to update component by component. Never install Windows (XP) on a totally new machine which you aren't sure of if all the components work correctly or are supported correctly. There is no way you otherwise can pinpoint a problem; it can be all sort of things.

Also, during installing NEVER connect to the internet!!!!!!! There are worms out there which infect your computer as soon as you connect (alla Blaster). When installing, not all updates, patches or even proper firewall settings are in place yet. You also will never have all the latest updates/patches for Windows as there are new ones almost every month, so even if you have the "latest" SP, you'll be missing extremely many fixes and patches.

btw, all the above stuff is also NOT SP2 related... When some things get wrong people all too often and unrightfully blame it on SP2...
RE: total frustration by [MR] on 01-17-2006 at 03:11 AM

so what your saying cookie is that i should install windows xp on this computer with only the basic hardware needed. (e.g. take out any unnecessary pci, apg cards and such)?  if so i can do that. 

RE: total frustration by Timothy003 on 01-17-2006 at 05:01 AM

Try doing that and see what happens. Make sure you install the components correctly.

RE: total frustration by [MR] on 01-17-2006 at 05:03 AM

ok, i just needed some reassurance...will do it tomorrow i need to go to bed coz school is tomorrow :(

RE: total frustration by CookieRevised on 01-17-2006 at 08:02 AM

yep...

Though, no garantee it will work, but you could try. And if the same problems occur you can pinpoint it more.

RE: total frustration by matty on 01-17-2006 at 03:51 PM

Hmmm I remember working on a computer that was doing the exact same thing. Turned out one of the capacitors had exploaded. Look at the motherboard (specifically the battery like looking pieces), see if any of them have green colour on the top or dont look like the rest lol.

RE: total frustration by FormulaFreak on 01-17-2006 at 04:38 PM

hmmz found something on microsoft.com...i dunno if it's of any use:

quote:
Windows XP won't install or won't start.
- Verify that your hardware is listed in the Windows Catalog (formerly called the Hardware Compatibility List).

- Temporarily remove all hardware that's not required by Setup (modems, sound cards, and network cards). Then try restarting your computer.

- Make sure that you have the latest drivers, firmware and BIOS for the computer and all hardware. If you don’t know whether you have the latest firmware or an updated BIOS, contact your hardware manufacturer or check their Web site.

from http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/setup/ge.../troubleshoot.mspx
RE: total frustration by Adeptus on 01-17-2006 at 05:34 PM

CookieRevised gives good advice.  Remove / disconnect non-essential hardware, such as modems, sound cards, printers and so forth.  If you can get XP installed that way, you might  even get lucky and not have any problems after putting it all back together.  Some hardware combinations don't respond well to all the probing during detection. 

You mentioned upgrading your motherboard and CPU --  what are they?  Do you know the watt rating of your power supply?  That's a common problem with upgrades reusing old cases.  I wouldn't necessarily rule it out, even though Windows 2000 installed ok.

There is a rather nasty procedure for diagnosing and working around driver conflict issues during Windows setup, but hopefully you won't need that.

RE: total frustration by [MR] on 01-17-2006 at 10:17 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Adeptus
You mentioned upgrading your motherboard and CPU --  what are they?  Do you know the watt rating of your power supply?  That's a common problem with upgrades reusing old cases.  I wouldn't necessarily rule it out, even though Windows 2000 installed ok.
well the processsor is an amd anthlon and the MoBo im not really sure of but the MoBo and processor came from the computer company that went of out bussiness...either called Lan Plus and/or Northgate.  we had gotten the Mobo and stuff in the original case in 2001.  the power supply isnt an issue b/c on the older MoBo i was using for this case (including the same power supply) windows xo had installed with out any problem.  as i have said though that i have gotten windows xp to install with this Mobo before. 

Matty:  im going to open my case now and look at the battery and whatever else you said to look for.

edit:  here is Nvidia's response to me question i gave them

quote:
Originally posted by Nvidia customer support
Thank you for contacting NVIDIA Customer Care.

We're sorry, but we are not able to address installation, usage and troubleshooting questions via this forum. NVIDIA does not sell any hardware products directly to consumers, and therefore cannot provide direct technical support.

Please refer to our partner support list for support (www.nvidia.com/page/partner_support.html). In addition, answers to many of the most frequently asked questions can be found in our knowledge base by clicking on (nvidia.custhelp.com).

Regards,
NVIDIA Customer Care.

that was a waste of time.
RE: total frustration by Timothy003 on 01-17-2006 at 10:25 PM

quote:
Originally posted by [MR
]
quote:
Originally posted by Nvidia customer support
Thank you for contacting NVIDIA Customer Care.

We're sorry, but we are not able to address installation, usage and troubleshooting questions via this forum. NVIDIA does not sell any hardware products directly to consumers, and therefore cannot provide direct technical support.

Please refer to our partner support list for support (www.nvidia.com/page/partner_support.html). In addition, answers to many of the most frequently asked questions can be found in our knowledge base by clicking on (nvidia.custhelp.com).

Regards,
NVIDIA Customer Care.

that was a waste of time.
Maybe not, because at least we know some links.
RE: total frustration by [MR] on 01-18-2006 at 02:19 AM

finally i finished installing windows xp.  Once it had finsihed installing I shut down my computer and then inserted my PCI Nividia geforce mx 4000 card.  i started windows xp all went fine until windows installed its own drivers for the video card.  the screen flickered as normal and then the computers screen just went black with that white 'dos' underscore blinking in the top left hand corner.  is there any way that i can get this graphics card to work with this MoBo and windows xp?  i dont care if i cant do dual monitering anymore.  would this work:  i uninstall the video card integrated with the motherboard and then insert the PCI graphics card?  i need this other graphics cards for my games.  the card built in the motherboard has only 16 mb of video memory and the PCI card has 64 mb of video memory.  please help me, anything that will work is greatly appreiciated.

RE: total frustration by D:Frag on 01-18-2006 at 02:22 AM

Take out the video card, start Windows with the integrated video, download and install the latest drivers for your card. Turn off your pc, install the card then turn it on and see what happens :)

RE: total frustration by [MR] on 01-18-2006 at 02:26 AM

quote:
Originally posted by D:Frag
Take out the video card, start Windows with the integrated video, download and install the latest drivers for your card. Turn off your pc, install the card then turn it on and see what happens :)
so your saying that i should take out my pci card (which i have already done) then install the latest drivers for the video card that is built in my motherboard and then tunr the computer off and then install my pci graphics card and see what happens? 
RE: total frustration by Voldemort on 01-18-2006 at 02:37 AM

quote:
Originally posted by [MR
]so your saying that i should take out my pci card (which i have already done) then install the latest drivers for the video card that is built in my motherboard and then tunr the computer off and then install my pci graphics card and see what happens?   

no, i think he is saying
remove the card
turn on pc
download lastest drivers
off pc
install card with the drivers u downloaded! (generic win drivers are crap)
Voila!

RE: total frustration by [MR] on 01-18-2006 at 02:40 AM

quote:
Originally posted by damm-o
quote:
Originally posted by [MR
]so your saying that i should take out my pci card (which i have already done) then install the latest drivers for the video card that is built in my motherboard and then tunr the computer off and then install my pci graphics card and see what happens?   

no, i think he is saying
remove the card
turn on pc
download lastest drivers
off pc
Voila!
oh i understand know :D so when windows tries to reinstall the graphics card it will use the new ones i got instead of the microsoft ones.
RE: RE: total frustration by D:Frag on 01-18-2006 at 02:52 AM

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by damm-o
quote:
Originally posted by [MR

no, i think he is saying
remove the card
turn on pc
download lastest drivers
off pc
Voila!
oh i understand know :D so when windows tries to reinstall the graphics card it will use the new ones i got instead of the microsoft ones.

Aha, latest drivers for your PCI card :)
RE: total frustration by [MR] on 01-18-2006 at 03:40 AM

Frustration is no more :D  Here is what i did:  with the computer turned on with windows on, i inserted the pci graphics card.  i installed the latest drivers from nvidia and they worked.  next i restarted the computer and neither moniter would turn on so i restarted in safe mode and disabled the video card that is built in the mother board.  so now my graphics card works with xo finally, just have to do with out dual monitering, unless someday i get a tv or moniter that has an s video slot in it then the dual monitering can begin again.  but for now everything is good and running well, and i can really tell the my wireless internet quality has gone up a trillion percent :D  thanks for the help everyone!

RE: RE: total frustration by CookieRevised on 01-18-2006 at 07:03 AM

quote:
Frustration is no more :D  Here is what i did:  with the computer turned on with windows on, i inserted the pci graphics card.
Ermm... did I read this right? If so:

NEVER remove or insert ANY cards while your PC is turned on. I'm very surprised this even worked, let alone, that you didn't blow up the whole mobo and/or graphics card :/

quote:
i installed the latest drivers from nvidia and they worked.  next i restarted the computer and neither moniter would turn on so i restarted in safe mode and disabled the video card that is built in the mother board.
Before you installed anything you need to know exactly how your mobo must be set up (jumpers/bios) when you're going to use an external graphics card. With many mobo's you must explicitly disable the integrated graphics card if you wanna install an external graphics card. So read the manual of the motherboard.

PS: also something which you didn't seem to do (according to your posts): when you have installed something (eg: an OS) always verify that it is installed correctly before going to the next step of installing extra hardware. You said: "I installed XP, turned computer off, and installed graphics card". Before inserting the graphics card, or whatever the next step would be, always reboot your computer and start up Windows (a couple of times) to check if it runs properly. When it does, then connect to the internet and download and install any latest bugfixes and patches (this is very important). After that, again a couple of reboots to verify and only then, go to next step of adding extra hardwares.

;)