Shoutbox

Xbox 360 or new computer? - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: General (/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+---- Forum: General Chit Chat (/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+----- Thread: Xbox 360 or new computer? (/showthread.php?tid=55004)

Xbox 360 or new computer? by zach on 01-17-2006 at 07:47 AM

Lately I have been thinking about getting a new computer (mainly for gaming), but I have also thought about getting an xbox 360. A computer would be the better option if I wanted to use it for a range of things, but the xbox would be better for games and it would be cheaper.
So which one do you think I should get?

RE: Xbox 360 or new computer? by user27089 on 01-17-2006 at 07:55 AM

Get a new computer, because you can keep upgrading that, whereas the xbox 360 specs will always be the same... I've always been an xbox fan and last year I would've said "get the xbox 360", but now that I've played on an xbox 360 a few times, I'm really disappointed with it. My computer isn't brilliant, and call of duty 2 looks far better on my computer. One thing I have noticed with the 360 is that the anti-aliasing on pretty much every game released is terrifyingly bad.

RE: Xbox 360 or new computer? by spokes on 01-17-2006 at 07:57 AM

quote:
Originally posted by traxor
Get a new computer, because you can keep upgrading that

RE: Xbox 360 or new computer? by Hank on 01-17-2006 at 08:30 AM

i agree with the others, get a New PC

RE: RE: Xbox 360 or new computer? by zach on 01-17-2006 at 08:37 AM

quote:
Get a new computer, because you can keep upgrading that, whereas the xbox 360 specs will always be the same... I've always been an xbox fan and last year I would've said "get the xbox 360", but now that I've played on an xbox 360 a few times, I'm really disappointed with it. My computer isn't brilliant, and call of duty 2 looks far better on my computer. One thing I have noticed with the 360 is that the anti-aliasing on pretty much every game released is terrifyingly bad.

Okay, that's interesting. My friend who is an xbox fan has something to say :P

quote:
1: Cod 2 on 360 has slightly higher res textures than the pc version so it can't look better
2: cod 2 has 4 x aa enabled, so the only reason it would look jaggy is the fact that the HDTV was not set up properly
3: If he was playing at say walmart, it might have been playing the demo disk containing a cod2 demo, kameo etc. If so, these were not the final build.
4: Most, Even High End (7800 gtx, 4400 X2 etc.), pcs, can barely make a 50 fps average let alone a solid 60 with no fps drops.
5: Most of the games on 360 at launch did not have AA because of time constraints. They were unable to use tileing.
6: Future games will continue to push the console as none of the games right now use the full power of the console.
7: Consider this. The xbox 1, with its 733 mhz pentium III, 64 mb ram and its 233 mhz geforce 3/4 hybrid, was able to play doom 3 at medium settings with a solid 30 fps. Now how is that possible when the console was released in 2001. The reason is that its a closed system. Pc games will always have to scale back their engines for lower range hardware and therfore don't have the ability to utilize
the full strength of your pcs hardware, whereas with a 360, the devs. will be able to utilize all the strength of the console.
8: You may have using a SDTV, which would make the game 640x480.
9: If you somehow think that there is a gpu on the market that has the same capabilities as the Xenos (360 gpu), then you are quite ignorant to its tech. The 360 gpu uses technology only to be found in the r600 gpu which has yet to be released. But, it also has something better than the r600. EDRAM. With this edram, the xenos or xenon, does not need to use its power to do AA etc. Look at some of the pc sites for a larger view at the potential of the 360 hardware.
He also wants to know your PC specs.
RE: Xbox 360 or new computer? by user27089 on 01-17-2006 at 04:33 PM

The game was running on a high resolution screen with the full game on it.

By the way, my specs are:

2.13GHz AMD Athlon CPU
ATi Radeon 9600 Pro
512Mb RAM.

My FPS runs at around 50ish most of the time.

The call of duty that i played in comparison to my computer version was terrible, the draw distance etc. is so poor.

I have played the following xbox 360 games:
Call of Duty 2
Kameo
Project Gotham 3.

and on all of those, the AA was crap.

I suggest a computer, get dual gpu's too so that it renders vertically up and down really fast and at a high quality...

RE: Xbox 360 or new computer? by Jhrono on 01-17-2006 at 04:45 PM

GET A PC!! as traxor said before, you can upgrade it and new games will exist within five years for pc, and xbox 360 will be discontinued just like the older gaming systems

RE: Xbox 360 or new computer? by user27089 on 01-17-2006 at 05:26 PM

quote:
Originally posted by nimicitor
they still make PS1 and dreamcast games.

But it is very rare that a new game comes out for either of those.
RE: Xbox 360 or new computer? by Jhrono on 01-17-2006 at 05:33 PM

Ok, so let him buy a xbox360 if you want, in 3 years he'll be complaining, like i do with my ps2, which i rarely play besides from pro evolution soccer 5

RE: Xbox 360 or new computer? by QtanJ on 01-17-2006 at 05:51 PM

Buy a computer:

1. It's easier to modify it.
2. More games comes to computers
3. You can upgrade it.
4. You can remote controll it to play everywhere(not recommended even with a fast connection to the computer)
5.  With emulators you can play any consoll only game(when someone have made them, doubt they'll ever emulates the games in consoll format as smooth as the consoll though)
6.  Better multiplayer experience
7. You can tell people you bought it for work.
8. More unofficial fixes.

Of course you should choose, but I'll never going to buy or suggest anyone to buy any xbox no matter what.

RE: Xbox 360 or new computer? by John Anderton on 01-17-2006 at 05:56 PM

New pc for the win :P

Btw ....

quote:
My computer isn't brilliant
* John Anderton slaps traxor around a bit with a large trout.
:dodgy:
There are people with far worse pc's then you too :rolleyes:

I am thinking of getting a ps3 when it comes out ..... but it depends on my budget .... if i have enough money id go for the pc upgrade ....

But id rather get a pc upgrade than a console given a choice ;)
RE: Xbox 360 or new computer? by Negro_Joe on 01-17-2006 at 07:03 PM

im getting a SP3, iv always gone for the playstation, my computer is ok and i can run the likes of cod 2, quake 4, and black and white 2 on high settings...

I just prefer games on the pc anyway...

Wlell apart for some like, prince of persia, and those kind of games...

RE: Xbox 360 or new computer? by Voldemort on 01-17-2006 at 09:34 PM

a computer :P

RE: Xbox 360 or new computer? by Stigmata on 01-17-2006 at 09:44 PM

dreamcast was discontinued when i was in primary school..

im sure as hell they still dont make games for it.

Its a obvious answer, new pc every time.

RE: Xbox 360 or new computer? by Timothy003 on 01-17-2006 at 09:45 PM

I agree with everyone that voted for the new computer.

(What they said) x2.

RE: Xbox 360 or new computer? by stoshrocket on 01-17-2006 at 10:03 PM

quote:
Originally posted by nimicitor
they do in asia

:lol: i thought it died off years ago.... speaking of old consoles i still remember my sega... ive still got that: sonic ROCKS!!!! lol
RE: RE: Xbox 360 or new computer? by rav0 on 01-18-2006 at 02:42 AM

Definately get a computer. Heaps of games come out for a range of platforms anyway, and they are almost always better quality on Windows*.

*Xbox 360 excluded, because it's so new. It's not even out worldwide yet. When Xbox 360 has existed for a while, computer gaming will have improved by then.

quote:
Originally posted by Methos2
i still remember my sega... ive still got that: sonic ROCKS!!!! lol

Don't forget Alex Kidd!
RE: Xbox 360 or new computer? by zach on 01-18-2006 at 06:35 AM

Where are the xbox fans? Xbox 360 is cheaper and more powerful, unless you buy all the latest (expensive) components. Who else has played Xbox 360 and AA was bad? The tv that you were playing on musn't have been HD traxor, could I see some screenshots of you playing cod2 please? (A)
I think I still will have to go with 360 because it's cheaper and more powerful, unless someone can give me more reasons why a computer upgrade is better. Even if you can keep on upgrading a computer, a new console will probably be out and if it's not, the graphics won't be improved much.

RE: Xbox 360 or new computer? by user27089 on 01-18-2006 at 07:37 AM

Why don't you just wait until the Playstation 3 comes out then, it's twice as powerful as the XBOX 360 and it has a load of cool games coming out on it. A lot of the games that are coming out on the 360 are also coming out on the PS3, but obviously with better graphics etc. So until summer time, why don't you save your money to get the PS3. It's better overall, blu-ray disks, WiFi (without having to by extra peripherals), RSX (Reality Synthesizer) etc. I was going to get the 360, but since then I've changed my mind to the PS3, merely because of it's power.

My advice to you is just wait, something better will come along.

RE: RE: Xbox 360 or new computer? by rav0 on 01-18-2006 at 11:02 AM

quote:
Originally posted by zach
Where are the xbox fans? Xbox 360 is cheaper and more powerful, unless you buy all the latest (expensive) components. Who else has played Xbox 360 and AA was bad? The tv that you were playing on musn't have been HD traxor
HD display alone = expensive
RE: RE: RE: Xbox 360 or new computer? by zach on 01-18-2006 at 11:27 AM

quote:
Originally posted by rav0
quote:
Where are the xbox fans? Xbox 360 is cheaper and more powerful, unless you buy all the latest (expensive) components. Who else has played Xbox 360 and AA was bad? The tv that you were playing on musn't have been HD traxor

Then so would buying one for a computer.

I like your userbar btw, nimicitor :p
RE: Xbox 360 or new computer? by Wabz on 01-18-2006 at 12:47 PM

I'd go for a computer personally.  The 360 will be out for a while and it hasn't reached its full potential yet, wait till the games improve on it :)

RE: RE: RE: RE: Xbox 360 or new computer? by rav0 on 01-18-2006 at 12:53 PM

quote:
quote:
quote:

Then so would buying one for a computer.
No because you can comfortably use a much smaller computer monitor that you would for TV/console, because you sit so close to it. Besides 1600x1200 is an great resolution to run games at, even though, it is less than full HDTV.
RE: Xbox 360 or new computer? by Lou on 01-18-2006 at 01:26 PM

Computer. You can do lots more + you can add things to it later

RE: RE: Xbox 360 or new computer? by D:Frag on 01-18-2006 at 01:29 PM

quote:
Where are the xbox fans? Xbox 360 is cheaper and more powerful, unless you buy all the latest (expensive) components. Who else has played Xbox 360 and AA was bad? The tv that you were playing on musn't have been HD traxor, could I see some screenshots of you playing cod2 please? (A)
I think I still will have to go with 360 because it's cheaper and more powerful, unless someone can give me more reasons why a computer upgrade is better. Even if you can keep on upgrading a computer, a new console will probably be out and if it's not, the graphics won't be improved much.

Blah, have to join the PC bandwagon :D

Even when the new consoles now have multimedia capabilities they're still too far from a PC, a simple 19" monitor has far better resolution than an ultra expensive HDTV, you can download tons of good free games on your PC, play everything since Atari with emulators, Arcade games... you can upgrade to new and faster components (not just video, but HDD to store music and your full games and videos)

I'm very proud of my pc, since it has replaced my stereo, home theater system, all gaming consoles, TiVO, recently installed an HDTV adapter so now I can see HDTV on it... plus everything else a PC can do. And if I want to play new games I just have to make a single upgrade instead of buying a whole new console. And if I get, let's say, an X-Box, and lif ater I know the PS is far better then I'm screwed up, because I have to buy next gen X-Box to play all current games.
RE: Xbox 360 or new computer? by Voldemort on 01-19-2006 at 11:53 PM

i agree with him^
a pc has lots more potential

RE: Xbox 360 or new computer? by zach on 04-16-2006 at 02:58 AM

Did you looks at what I was reading from the online list and post in this thread? I was having a look at it because I am thinking about getting a new PC. I'm thinking about getting TV on my computer so I can record programs. I'm also looking at the possiblities with wireless internet (psp streaming... location free player?)

Old thread btw.

Edit: It looks like my post count is trying to tell me something (360) :----o

RE: Xbox 360 or new computer? by Hank on 04-16-2006 at 03:06 AM

get the PC. dont waste the money on the Xbox

RE: Xbox 360 or new computer? by Unwritten Law on 04-16-2006 at 08:34 AM

its up to ypu which one would you use most if you use the computer more get that or same with the xbox 360:P

RE: Xbox 360 or new computer? by LEE123 on 04-17-2006 at 04:40 PM

Im curious as to know whether the Xbox 360 GPU will be able to compete with DirectX 10 cards?

quote:
Edit: It looks like my post count is trying to tell me something (360) :----o

Hehe.

RE: RE: Xbox 360 or new computer? by rav0 on 04-17-2006 at 10:19 PM

quote:
Originally posted by LEE123
Im curious as to know whether the Xbox 360 GPU will be able to compete with DirectX 10 cards?
Well, it wont actually be able to compete with anything. It's not a card.
RE: Xbox 360 or new computer? by LEE123 on 04-17-2006 at 11:22 PM

quote:
Well, it wont actually be able to compete with anything. It's not a card.

Will it display better than those PC powered directx 10 cards?
RE: Xbox 360 or new computer? by rav0 on 04-17-2006 at 11:26 PM

Technically, it should, but it's all up to the developers using the hardware properly. Also, the raw numbers of the Xbob 360 hardware mean less than a PC's specs, with the Xbox being a closed system. Also, TV displays are generally shit.

I'd say that a PC can display graphics that look better than an Xbox 360 could.

RE: Xbox 360 or new computer? by -:-ValKYriE-:- on 04-20-2006 at 01:57 AM

quote:
The game was running on a high resolution screen with the full game on it.

By the way, my specs are:

2.13GHz AMD Athlon CPU
ATi Radeon 9600 Pro
512Mb RAM.

My FPS runs at around 50ish most of the time.

The call of duty that i played in comparison to my computer version was terrible, the draw distance etc. is so poor.

I have played the following xbox 360 games:
Call of Duty 2
Kameo
Project Gotham 3.

and on all of those, the AA was crap.

I suggest a computer, get dual gpu's too so that it renders vertically up and down really fast and at a high quality...
Your seggest is so well
RE: Xbox 360 or new computer? by paperless on 04-20-2006 at 08:26 PM

When this PC gets obsolete i wont get any more for gaming till i get a good job because i will probably have much more spending and computers are too expensive for the quality of the games we have today..

This can change in the future but i am almost sure that i will buy the "PS4" or "Xbox 720" instaed of a PC..

RE: Xbox 360 or new computer? by chuck_str on 04-20-2006 at 09:34 PM

you can upgrade the xbox 360 with more ram and bigger hard drive

RE: Xbox 360 or new computer? by Reaper on 04-20-2006 at 09:38 PM

quote:
Originally posted by chuck_str
you can upgrade the xbox 360 with more ram and bigger hard drive
i know you can upgrade the hdd but i dont think you can change the RAM, if there is any
RE: RE: Xbox 360 or new computer? by rav0 on 04-20-2006 at 09:52 PM

quote:
Originally posted by chuck_str
you can upgrade the xbox 360 with more ram
Reference please.
RE: Xbox 360 or new computer? by JadeRovo on 04-20-2006 at 10:18 PM

i would say get a new computer. even though it is the more expensive option, because you can use the P.C for a variety of things including gaming and it has the same if better graphics than the X-box and it has more memory. You can get nearly all of the same games for your P.C as your X-box.