Shoutbox

adding emoticons - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+---- Forum: Scripting (/forumdisplay.php?fid=39)
+----- Forum: Plug-Ins (/forumdisplay.php?fid=28)
+------ Thread: adding emoticons (/showthread.php?tid=55060)

adding emoticons by tweetz69 on 01-19-2006 at 03:37 AM

can some one help i am constantly unable to add emoticons no matter how many times i try i keep getting the same message not a valid image file

RE: adding emoticons by RaceProUK on 01-19-2006 at 12:14 PM

Then it isn't a standards-compliant file. Open it in a graphics program and resave it.

RE: adding emoticons by tweetz69 on 01-19-2006 at 12:25 PM

what do u mean i said everytime i try to add and emoticon it comes up not a valid image file so when i right click on an emoticon that someone has sent to says not a valid image file

RE: adding emoticons by [MR] on 01-19-2006 at 12:39 PM

you cant really save emoticons you see in the conversation window.   you need the picture files sent to you then open them in somthing like paint and then go to file save as then save it and then go into msn and add that emoticon

RE: adding emoticons by tweetz69 on 01-19-2006 at 02:08 PM

honestly really do u know what u are talking bout when u are talking to someone in the coversation window they send emoticons and yes u can add them i really think u should know what u are talking bout b4 u tell me what it is that is hould b doing but thank u anyway

RE: adding emoticons by mwe99 on 01-19-2006 at 02:29 PM

can you post your version numbers of messenger, windows and plus; with any additional plugins you may use.

RE: adding emoticons by tweetz69 on 01-19-2006 at 03:26 PM

i use messenger 7.5 no plugins or addons

RE: adding emoticons by Timothy003 on 01-19-2006 at 08:31 PM

So when someone IMs you a message that contains an emoticon, you right-click it, then click Add... It gives you that message? It should give you a window that confirms the saving of that emoticon and the keyboard shortcut that your buddy uses.

RE: adding emoticons by tweetz69 on 01-19-2006 at 08:49 PM

yes the window comes up to confirm but when i click on save it says it is a valid image file

RE: adding emoticons by user27089 on 01-19-2006 at 08:54 PM

If it's a valid image file then it should work fine.

I think you need to know what you're talking about before you come on here flaming other members. Be more clear about what you say.

RE: adding emoticons by Timothy003 on 01-19-2006 at 08:56 PM

Could you give us a screenshot of the error?

RE: adding emoticons by tweetz69 on 01-19-2006 at 08:57 PM

how much clearer does it really need to be i know plently of people who have the same problem they are valid image files but for some reason it will continues to say it's not if it wasnt valid my friends wouldnt have been able to add them themselves if u cant help why reply to my post just to have a go at me

how do i make a copy of the screen that comes up when it happens

RE: adding emoticons by Timothy003 on 01-19-2006 at 09:03 PM

quote:
Originally posted by tweetz69
if u cant help why reply to my post just to have a go at me
If I were you, I would need all the help I can get. But if you are so picky in finding people to help, then I will not try to help. All I asked was a simple JPEG image of the message that you get. It's not a hard thing to do unless you're too lazy. But if you want to solve this problem, you will have to work with us. Giving us a screenshot will give us a chance to see what it really is. Some people can tell by a simple picture (because of an old saying, "a picture is worth a thousand words.").

quote:
how do i make a copy of the screen that comes up when it happens
On your keyboard press a key called PrtScn (located at the upper-left). Then open Paint (accessed by Start -> All Programs -> Accessories -> Paint). Hold down Ctrl and press V. Then go to the File menu and click on Save, and in File Type choose JPEG. Now attach it to your post.
RE: adding emoticons by tweetz69 on 01-19-2006 at 09:10 PM

---------------------------
MSN Messenger
The file you selected is not a valid image file. Please choose another file.
OK   
that is what comes up

RE: adding emoticons by [MR] on 01-19-2006 at 09:56 PM

then just make the person you are talking to send you the emoticon with the send files or pictures button above the text box of the conversation.

RE: adding emoticons by tweetz69 on 01-19-2006 at 10:08 PM

i have done that b4 problem being that with msn if u cant add the emoticons that people are sending then u cant create them either

RE: adding emoticons by Timothy003 on 01-19-2006 at 10:12 PM

Try re-installing MSN Messenger here. Then come back and post what happened.

RE: adding emoticons by Voldemort on 01-19-2006 at 10:13 PM

ok... this happened out of the blue?
..if so you can try reinstalling

RE: adding emoticons by RaceProUK on 01-19-2006 at 10:14 PM

quote:
Originally posted by [MR
]you cant really save emoticons you see in the conversation window
Yes you can: I've nicked a few that way.
quote:
i use messenger 7.5 no plugins or addons
Versions of Plus! and Windows?
quote:
Originally posted by traxor
I think you need to know what you're talking about before you come on here flaming other members. Be more clear about what you say.
To be fair, [MR] gave incorrect advice.
quote:
how much clearer does it really need to be
Ideally, the full version numbers of Messenger and Plus!, Windows version, the steps you take that lead to the problem, and any error messages that appear (exact wording please). Also, can you attach the offending image file(s)?

Edit: Leo's advice (below) is good too ;)
RE: adding emoticons by L. Coyote on 01-19-2006 at 10:17 PM

Try clearing your Temporary Internet Files

To do that: open Internet Explorer => go to the Tools menu => Internet Options... => in the General tab click on the "Delete files..." button.

RE: adding emoticons by tweetz69 on 01-19-2006 at 10:22 PM

i re installed msn this morning and it has made no difference

RE: RE: adding emoticons by Timothy003 on 01-19-2006 at 10:52 PM

quote:
Originally posted by damm-o
ok... this happened out of the blue?
Yes, did you install or modify anything important before it happened?
RE: adding emoticons by tweetz69 on 01-19-2006 at 10:55 PM

no i dont i didnt change anything i just downloaded msn messenger 7.5 i dont use anything plugins or add ons for it anymore

RE: adding emoticons by Timothy003 on 01-19-2006 at 10:57 PM

Anymore? What do you mean you don't use plugins or add-ons anymore? Did you uninstall them?

RE: adding emoticons by tweetz69 on 01-19-2006 at 10:59 PM

b4 i redownloaded messenger i removed everything to do with plus and stuffplug and then redownloaded messenger and i still cant add the emoticons

RE: adding emoticons by RaceProUK on 01-19-2006 at 11:08 PM

Can you attach the offending file(s) please?

RE: adding emoticons by tweetz69 on 01-20-2006 at 01:56 AM

i have posted the offending file as you put it

RE: adding emoticons by [MR] on 01-20-2006 at 02:02 AM

quote:
where?
RE: adding emoticons by RaceProUK on 01-20-2006 at 11:28 AM

quote:
Looks like the attachment didn't work.
RE: adding emoticons by riahc4 on 01-21-2006 at 08:08 PM

Did you try this:

Try clearing your Temporary Internet Files

To do that: open Internet Explorer => go to the Tools menu => Internet Options... => in the General tab click on the "Delete files..." button.

RE: adding emoticons by Murphy Slaw on 02-02-2006 at 01:15 AM

I too have this problem. On two computers. One xp running 7.5 and the other win 2000 and messenger 7. both use different firewalls and av. both are regularily scanned and caches cleared of temp files and cookies. Spyware scans also carried out on regular basis. All windows updates done. I have never used any plug ins or add ons.

The problem first occured on xp machine. all custom emoticons disappeared. No specific reason  or event springs to mind as having caused this. No system restore, virus infection nothing obvious.

I could then only  collect certain emoticons using right click and add. but many would give the described error message.

About 2 weeks later the same happened on the 2000 machine.

Please note that the emoticons I can't add happen to be ones I used to have myself.

So if anyone can tell me why I can add (using right click)certain emoticons and not others I would appreciate it. Yes i've tried all the reinstalling thing.

RE: adding emoticons by matty on 02-02-2006 at 01:32 AM

I seems like your map.dat file became corrupted.

All of your emoticons are stored here C:\Documents and Settings\%Username%\Application Data\Microsoft\MSN Messenger\%MSN ID%\Custom Emoticons

for short just click start > run > %appdata%\Microsoft\MSN Messenger

I suggest  you rename your Custom Emoticon file to see if you can add anymore after you restart MSN Messenger.