Shoutbox

Messenger Plus Live quick query - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+---- Forum: WLM Plus! General (/forumdisplay.php?fid=23)
+----- Thread: Messenger Plus Live quick query (/showthread.php?tid=55068)

Messenger Plus Live quick query by vibeone on 01-19-2006 at 09:44 AM

OK, I know I'm lining myself up for mass abuse here, but anyway...

I'm in the beta now, legally, but I don't want to use WLM because the feature set is actually less than 7.5 + plus.

Now I know the recode takes time Patchou, but my question is, is it not possible to release a "lite" version, with just the important core features.

These I consider to be core:

*Away/Back custom messages
*Boss Protection

and thats really about it. Everything else is nice, and I use a lot of plus features, but they are the big core 'needs' for me.

Any comments (please keep flaming me to a minimum if poss :D :D :D )

RE: Messenger Plus Live quick query by zach on 01-19-2006 at 09:46 AM

This won't be happening. Just wait a while or go back to 7.5 for now.
Have a read of this.

RE: Messenger Plus Live quick query by linx05 on 01-19-2006 at 09:51 AM

Those aren't everyones "core features".

RE: RE: Messenger Plus Live quick query by vibeone on 01-19-2006 at 10:21 AM

quote:
Originally posted by linx05
Those aren't everyones "core features".

oh i agree, again its patchou's time and effort, but would it not be nice to put together a bit of a spec for what people in general class as the most important features, so these can be released faster?

I dont mean to sound so selfish, its just annoying wanting to use WLM, and not having as many features as 7.5

oh well :)
RE: Messenger Plus Live quick query by brian on 01-19-2006 at 11:50 AM

You want boss protection, I want tabs, he wants plugins?  If he starts it'll never end.

RE: Messenger Plus Live quick query by mwe99 on 01-19-2006 at 02:27 PM

don't forget before any program is released it still has to be tested. So instead of working on two programs; it makes sense to complete the full version and get it out to testers instead of working on two and bring delayed.

RE: Messenger Plus Live quick query by absorbation on 01-19-2006 at 04:24 PM

quote:
Originally posted by mwe99
don't forget before any program is released it still has to be tested. So instead of working on two programs; it makes sense to complete the full version and get it out to testers instead of working on two and bring delayed.

Yes and being a beta demand is in less demand (dispite everyoone being a tester nowadays)

And Plus! being so popular risking a buggy version which thousands will download will not look good :P
RE: Messenger Plus Live quick query by John Anderton on 01-19-2006 at 06:23 PM

quote:
Originally posted by nvez
You want boss protection, I want tabs, he wants plugins?  If he starts it'll never end.
I want quicktexts 8-)
pfft .....

quote:
Originally posted by vibeone
I dont mean to sound so selfish, its just annoying wanting to use WLM, and not having as many features as 7.5
You are supposed to test wlm without any external patches or addons so that it is unbiased and any problem is purely due to wlm.

You shouldnt take part in beta's if you have such problems .... this is what i hate about those users who want wlm invites even tho we users warn them about the problems, crashing etc ..... and when they get it ... they complain :dodgy:

Btw .... i dont mean you .... i mean the users who do this .... cause trust me there are a lot of people like that :dodgy: :-/
RE: Messenger Plus Live quick query by Timothy003 on 01-19-2006 at 08:52 PM

Hopefully the new Messenger Plus! Live will make WLM store its registry values somewhere else where it won't interfere with MSN Messenger 7.5. :dodgy:

RE: Messenger Plus Live quick query by NiteMare on 01-19-2006 at 09:04 PM

on the same topic of messenger plus!live, i'm wondering if patchou could give us an update, maybe like a percentage that he got recode, maybe a timeline?, when he expects he might be done, should he not run in to any problems(doubtful, theres always a few problems:P)

RE: Messenger Plus Live quick query by Timothy003 on 01-19-2006 at 09:13 PM

Why would you want to know when he is done? It will be released as soon as Windows Live Messenger is officially released. You should ask Microsoft its percentage of WLM. :P

RE: Messenger Plus Live quick query by NiteMare on 01-19-2006 at 09:44 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Timothy003
Why would you want to know when he is done? It will be released as soon as Windows Live Messenger is officially released. You should ask Microsoft its percentage of WLM.
well, i'm on the wlm beta team(i know, lots of people are), so i was wondering when he would be compiling a beta team

besides, it never hurts to stay up todate
RE: Messenger Plus Live quick query by RaceProUK on 01-19-2006 at 10:23 PM

quote:
Hopefully the new Messenger Plus! Live will make WLM store its registry values somewhere else where it won't interfere with MSN Messenger 7.5. :dodgy:
Why? The whole point in using the same key is that settings carry forward.
RE: Messenger Plus Live quick query by Timothy003 on 01-19-2006 at 10:34 PM

quote:
Originally posted by raceprouk
quote:
Why? The whole point in using the same key is that settings carry forward.
Why? Because some people use both MSN Messenger and WLM at once:
  • Unable to run both MSN Messenger and WLM at startup
  • Can't auto-log in (account used by both messengers to log in)
  • Set different settings for each account

RE: Messenger Plus Live quick query by RaceProUK on 01-19-2006 at 10:36 PM

If you're that bothered about WLM and MSN side by side, you'll live with it. Also, Messenger already separates settings per-account.

RE: Messenger Plus Live quick query by Timothy003 on 01-19-2006 at 10:39 PM

quote:
Originally posted by raceprouk
Messenger already separates settings per-account.
Actually, it doesn't save all settings for each account. Once you change a setting (Personal Message, etc.) on Messenger, it saves it to the registry value.

Maybe you meant some other settings?
RE: Messenger Plus Live quick query by RaceProUK on 01-19-2006 at 11:07 PM

There's one root key for each user that's signed into Messenger on the machine, and those keys hold the PSM and other account-specific info. All these keys appear under the main MSN Messenger key.

RE: Messenger Plus Live quick query by Patchou on 01-20-2006 at 09:44 AM

Just to reply quickly (I'm soon going to post more info in a news).... I won't be releasing any lite version of the current Plus! for WLM simply because I don't have time to put in it (each day counts right now) and that WLM is still in an early beta stage, very buggy and I don't want to make the work of the people at MSN more complicated by introducing another variable in their tests.

As for the registy key, Plus! Live will use a new one but don't worry, many settings will automatically be imported from the previous key when you install it :).

RE: Messenger Plus Live quick query by Chestah on 01-20-2006 at 10:24 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Patchou

As for the registy key, Plus! Live will use a new one but don't worry, many settings will automatically be imported from the previous key when you install it :).

I'm guessing thats so if a user is running both versions of Plus! and switches between WLM and MSN Messenger 7* they can both have their own individual settings?

Edits *
RE: Messenger Plus Live quick query by Patchou on 01-20-2006 at 10:04 PM

yes, except that it's when they switch from between WLM and MSN/Windows Messenger 4/5/6/7 (version 8 = WLM) :).

RE: Messenger Plus Live quick query by Chestah on 01-21-2006 at 12:20 AM

quote:
yes, except that it's when they switch from between WLM and MSN/Windows Messenger 4/5/6/7 (version 8 = WLM) :).

Oh silly me :dodgy:, thats what i meant :)
RE: RE: Messenger Plus Live quick query by vibeone on 01-21-2006 at 03:01 PM

quote:
Just to reply quickly (I'm soon going to post more info in a news).... I won't be releasing any lite version of the current Plus! for WLM simply because I don't have time to put in it (each day counts right now) and that WLM is still in an early beta stage, very buggy and I don't want to make the work of the people at MSN more complicated by introducing another variable in their tests.

Thanks for taking the time to reply Patchou.  I've seen the light as it were, thanks to your post, and someone on page 1.  To be honest, I've not found a single bug in WLM but I guess as you say, its better for Microsoft to keep installs clean at the moment

Thanks again for taking the time to reply :)
RE: Messenger Plus Live quick query by John Anderton on 01-21-2006 at 06:20 PM

quote:
Because some people use both MSN Messenger and WLM at once:
But once wlm is released .... why would you want to have both .... either have wlm or msnm 7.5 :-/

And if you are talking before that then .... well only the testers will have access to plus! and im sure that they wouldnt mind doing the needful :P

quote:
I've not found a single bug in WLM but I guess as you say
*Cough* There are sooooo many of them lol .... the constant crashing/signing out randomly (which is almost fixed for me atm)
The sign in problems due to the corruped file (dns file was it ??)

There are hundreds of bugs as expected .... its a beta :P
RE: RE: Messenger Plus Live quick query by vibeone on 01-21-2006 at 09:18 PM

quote:
Originally posted by John Anderton
quote:
Because some people use both MSN Messenger and WLM at once:
But once wlm is released .... why would you want to have both .... either have wlm or msnm 7.5 :-/

And if you are talking before that then .... well only the testers will have access to plus! and im sure that they wouldnt mind doing the needful :P

quote:
I've not found a single bug in WLM but I guess as you say
*Cough* There are sooooo many of them lol .... the constant crashing/signing out randomly (which is almost fixed for me atm)
The sign in problems due to the corruped file (dns file was it ??)

There are hundreds of bugs as expected .... its a beta :P

Well they must be avoiding me :(

I've found a bug with the MSGPLUS.NET site though.. namely.. its not working :P

(and its not my hosts file :P)
RE: Messenger Plus Live quick query by Idium on 01-24-2006 at 05:38 PM

I dont see why People Want to Beta test anything if they dont like using buggy software, isnt that the point of beta testing, to find out where the bugs are and help inprove the final product.

RE: Messenger Plus Live quick query by zach on 01-25-2006 at 12:19 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Idium
I dont see why People Want to Beta test anything if they dont like using buggy software, isnt that the point of beta testing, to find out where the bugs are and help inprove the final product.
Yes it is. I'd like to help though because then the final result will be bug free (hopefully) ;)
RE: Messenger Plus Live quick query by PAT.riot73 on 01-25-2006 at 02:08 AM

wouldnt it be a little difficult to keep up with wlm, if they are still in a beta stage, they will be fixing bugs like crazy and maybe modifying content that will mess up msgpluslive?

RE: Messenger Plus Live quick query by Idium on 01-25-2006 at 10:20 AM

quote:
Originally posted by PAT.riot73
wouldnt it be a little difficult to keep up with wlm, if they are still in a beta stage, they will be fixing bugs like crazy and maybe modifying content that will mess up msgpluslive?

yes but thats why there will probably be a longer beta testing period than before. but its obviously needed otherwise there wouldnt be calls for beta testers?
RE: Messenger Plus Live quick query by RaceProUK on 01-25-2006 at 01:58 PM

quote:
Originally posted by zach
the final result will be bug free (hopefully) ;)
Take it from me: nothing is ever bug free ;)
RE: RE: Messenger Plus Live quick query by CookieRevised on 01-25-2006 at 02:06 PM

quote:
Originally posted by PAT.riot73

Bugs in Messenger quite often do not interfear with things in Plus!. Plus! has his own features and stuff which need to be beta-tested.

If something structurally changes in WLM (which is always possible since it is still in beta), then Patchou needs to recode some stuff, true, but overall Plus! isn't going to be malfunctionning because of a bug in WLM.

Also, Plus! will never be released before the final "bugfree" version of WLM is released, exactly because some things always could change during a beta period.

The reason why there is a longer beta-period for Messenger Plus! too is mostly because it is totally recoded from scratch this time and because the totally new structure used in WLM. Thus not so much because WLM has a bigger beta period; if Plus! wasn't recoded from scratch, the Plus! beta period would could have been shorter (because not that many stuff would need to be tested, that much).