Shoutbox

Linux - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: Linux (/showthread.php?tid=55078)

Linux by Voldemort on 01-19-2006 at 10:15 PM

hey guys can u tell me a good linux distribution you have tried and that i can download?
i want to put it on my old pc!
thanks.

RE: Linux by Hank on 01-19-2006 at 10:19 PM

how old is it? have a look at http://distrowatch.com/ at the linux distro's

RE: Linux by Voldemort on 01-19-2006 at 10:22 PM

266mhz 288ram win2k 40 gigs..

RE: Linux by emit on 01-19-2006 at 10:25 PM

freebsd. but that's unix. if you insist on linux: gentoo or slackware.

RE: Linux by Hank on 01-19-2006 at 10:28 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Time

freebsd. but that's unix. if you insist on linux: gentoo or slackware.
i do not recommend a Newbie installing Gentoo or slackware

RE: Linux by RaceProUK on 01-19-2006 at 10:35 PM

quote:
freebsd. but that's unix.
No, Unix is Unix. FreeBSD is one of the three BSDs that are based on Unix. Linux is also based on Unix.
RE: Linux by Voldemort on 01-19-2006 at 10:46 PM

hm.. i can have win2k and another os right?
is there one that can be downloaded fast?

RE: Linux by Hank on 01-19-2006 at 11:04 PM

quote:
Originally posted by damm-o

hm.. i can have win2k and another os right?
is there one that can be downloaded fast?
try a LiveCD that you can run from CD an yes you can dualboot
RE: Linux by MaRy! on 01-19-2006 at 11:08 PM

Mandriva or ubuntu. For partitions, partition magic :)

RE: Linux by Voldemort on 01-19-2006 at 11:22 PM

http://distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=archie
saw a few live cds and chose that one..
but i see i bunch of links and i dunno what to do :S
can u tell me where i can download the iso or something?
edit 2 : solved ^
http://distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=damnsmall
i saw this, and i think its better... my only questions are
will i need to make a new partition?
am i able to connect to my small network? to msn? see flash?
do i need to configure lots of things?
also... when i download it.. what should i do? burn it?

RE: Linux by brian on 01-20-2006 at 01:29 AM

Why don't you use Ubuntu, it's the biggest user-friendly linux out there.

RE: Linux by Voldemort on 01-20-2006 at 01:37 AM

i think ill give it a try after this one..

RE: Linux by Hank on 01-20-2006 at 02:06 AM

quote:
Originally posted by nvez
Why don't you use Ubuntu, it's the biggest user-friendly linux out there
User friendly? still missing tools Fedora has,
RE: Linux by brian on 01-20-2006 at 02:09 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Animal
User friendly? still missing tools Fedora has

Such as?
RE: Linux by Hank on 01-20-2006 at 02:56 AM

such as.. i can think of 1,  since i havent used Ubuntu nore have i really seen it, personally here's 1 i can think of . a GUI to change the boot OS

RE: Linux by emit on 01-21-2006 at 12:51 PM

quote:
Originally posted by raceprouk
No, Unix is Unix. FreeBSD is one of the three BSDs that are based on Unix. Linux is also based on Unix.

Incorrect. The BSD branch is -the- closest thing around to the original Unix. Hence, for all accounts and purposes it IS Unix.

Linux is NOT derived from Unix source code, but its interfaces are intentionally like Unix. Therefore, Unix lessons learned generally apply to both, including information on security.

Originally, the term "Unix'' meant a particular product developed by AT&T. The history of Unix is somewhat convoluted. The academic community, led by Berkeley, developed a variant called the Berkeley Software Distribution (BSD), while AT&T continued developing Unix under the names "System III'' and later "System V''. System V ended up incorporating many BSD innovations, so the resulting system was more a merger of the two branches.

That merger, in essence, makes BSD Unix.

Animal: fellate me you ignorant fool.
RE: Linux by brian on 01-21-2006 at 12:56 PM

quote:
such as.. i can think of 1,  since i havent used Ubuntu nore have i really seen it, personally here's 1 i can think of . a GUI to change the boot OS
Oh wow?  Not like Ubuntu has 5000 better features such as apt-get, which downloads the package, installs the package and sets it up.  How easy can it be?  Certinaly more easier than compiling (unless you enjoy doing that).

RE: Linux by emit on 01-21-2006 at 12:59 PM

Sigh. I will never comprehend why you'd use *nix and want it to be user friendly. Use *nix for the stability and power it has, not as a pretty alternative desktop. It's a tool, not a toy.

RE: RE: Linux by rav0 on 01-21-2006 at 01:31 PM

quote:
Originally posted by MaRy!
Mandriva or ubuntu. For partitions, partition magic :)

Mandriva (Y)

and let it do partitioning for you as well, rather than do it with partitionmagic beforehand
RE: Linux by RaceProUK on 01-21-2006 at 09:59 PM

quote:
Linux is NOT derived from Unix source code, but its interfaces are intentionally like Unix.
That's actually what I meant by 'based on'. Shoulda been a bit clearer methinks. But yeah, you're absolutely right.
RE: Linux by Hank on 01-21-2006 at 10:04 PM

quote:
Oh wow?  Not like Ubuntu has 5000 better features such as apt-get, which downloads the package, installs the package and sets it up.  How easy can it be?  Certinaly more easier than compiling (unless you enjoy doing that).
apt-get is old an outta date, from all the rumours you may here that YUM os slow ( used by a few distro's ) is totally wrong,
RE: Linux by brian on 01-22-2006 at 02:54 AM

quote:
apt-get is old an outta date, from all the rumours you may here that YUM os slow ( used by a few distro's ) is totally wrong,
How in hell can it be "outta" date?  Because you said so, or it's cooler to use yum these days?
RE: Linux by ShawnZ on 01-22-2006 at 03:10 AM

quote:
quote:
How in hell can it be "outta" date?  Because you said so, or it's cooler to use yum these days?

No, its cooler for losers on fedora to use YUM. Unless they know what the fuck they're talking about, in which case they use the rpm version of apt-get.
RE: Linux by Dane on 01-22-2006 at 04:21 AM

LYCORIS LINUX - http://www.lycoris.com

RE: Linux by Hank on 01-22-2006 at 07:25 AM

quote:

its outta date cause it doesnt have Great functions like YUM  ( i dont know much about smartrpm to comment on that ), the person that Made/makes apt-get is now working on smartrpm ( which some fedora core users use )

quote:
Originally posted by ShawnZ
No, its cooler for losers on fedora to use YUM. Unless they know what the fuck they're talking about, in which case they use the rpm version of apt-get
losers on fedora ?  if it wasnt fur redhat hardly any other distro would be out there now,,

quote:
Originally posted by Dane
LYCORIS LINUX -
didnt Mandriva/Connectiva buy them out?
RE: RE: Linux by rav0 on 01-22-2006 at 10:44 AM

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Dane
LYCORIS LINUX -
didnt Mandriva/Connectiva buy them out?

quote:
June 15th 2005 - Mandriva today announced an agreement to purchase several assets from Lycoris. As part of this agreement, Lycoris' founder and CEO Joseph Cheek is joining Mandriva to develop a new and advanced Linux desktop product

RE: Linux by Jhrono on 01-22-2006 at 12:27 PM

http://www.linspire.com/

I don't know shit about linux, but this distro seems pretty nice..Yet i got a legal free version of it, because i once found a cuppon which allowed you to download the digital version for free :p

RE: Linux by ShawnZ on 01-22-2006 at 03:03 PM

quote:
its outta date cause it doesnt have Great functions like YUM  ( i dont know much about smartrpm to comment on that )

We've been through this, apt and dpkg have everything yum and rpm do and then some. yum isn't "new" or "advanced", its just some freaking package manager someone made from YU because fedora didn't have one.

quote:
losers on fedora ?  if it wasnt fur redhat hardly any other distro would be out there now,,

[Image: rofl.gif]
RE: Linux by brian on 01-22-2006 at 03:03 PM

quote:
its outta date cause it doesnt have Great functions like YUM  ( i dont know much about smartrpm to comment on that ), the person that Made/makes apt-get is now working on smartrpm ( which some fedora core users use )
Great functions such as.. what do you need more than INSTALL, REMOVE AND SEARCH.
RE: Linux by ShawnZ on 01-22-2006 at 03:06 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Johny
http://www.linspire.com/

I don't know shit about linux, but this distro seems pretty nice..Yet i got a legal free version of it, because i once found a cuppon which allowed you to download the digital version for free :p

again we go with the "I want it to be as close to my friendly windows GUI as possible!"
RE: Linux by Jhrono on 01-22-2006 at 03:16 PM

quote:
again we go with the "I want it to be as close to my friendly windows GUI as possible!"
quote:
I don't know shit about linux, but this distro seems pretty nice..Yet i got a legal free version of it, because i once found a cuppon which allowed you to download the digital version for free

RE: Linux by ShawnZ on 01-22-2006 at 03:21 PM

quote:
quote:
quote:
I don't know shit about linux, but this distro seems pretty nice..Yet i got a legal free version of it, because i once found a cuppon which allowed you to download the digital version for free

I can't seem to find a point to that post, so i'll just continue ignoring it...
RE: Linux by brian on 01-22-2006 at 03:47 PM

He means that why the hell would you install linux that looks like windows, when you can install windows.

RE: Linux by emit on 01-23-2006 at 12:29 AM

quote:

Wow, we wanna argue about the origins of every distro? Wait, I already mentioned BSD. NO distro would exist without that. Your cluepon is in the post.
RE: Linux by aNILEator on 01-23-2006 at 10:48 AM

the ones that sounded best to me are

DSLinux (Damn Small Linux it was roughly 50MB and could run entirely in your RAM i think)

Knoppix - I have used the live cd of this its not bad, i used it to get my Windows working :) {not long now and i buy my MESH Vista 2 :gfdrin:}

RE: Linux by ShawnZ on 01-23-2006 at 12:50 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Fukafly
the ones that sounded best to me are

DSLinux (Damn Small Linux it was roughly 50MB and could run entirely in your RAM i think)

Knoppix - I have used the live cd of this its not bad, i used it to get my Windows working :) {not long now and i buy my MESH Vista 2 :gfdrin:}

Those aren't exactly good for desktop use... =p
RE: Linux by RaceProUK on 01-24-2006 at 01:17 PM

Knoppix isn't bad for desktop use, what with KDE, OpenOffice etc.

RE: Linux by Snake on 01-24-2006 at 09:40 PM

I recomend http://www.ubuntulinux.org/ comes with Open office, firefox, Gaim, etc

Thats what i'm using :P

RE: Linux by spokes on 01-24-2006 at 09:49 PM

Fedora or Ubuntu

RE: Linux by emit on 01-26-2006 at 04:38 PM

http://redundancy.redundancy.org/linuxhate.html

RE: Linux by Kryptonate on 01-26-2006 at 04:43 PM

A little while ago there's a test placed online to find the perfect distro for you. Altough you have to take in mind that it is a test and that you might not really like the one they suggest, I think it can be a big help: http://www.zegeniestudios.net/ldc/