Shoutbox

Windows Vienna to follow Vista - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: Windows Vienna to follow Vista (/showthread.php?tid=55080)

Windows Vienna to follow Vista by Hank on 01-19-2006 at 10:25 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Neowin.Net
That's right folks. Windows Vienna is the new codename for Windows Blackcomb the successor to Windows Vista.

Not much is known about Blackcomb officially and Microsoft is not ready to talk about it yet. However, Microsoft's blogging guru, Robert Scoble confirmed in a thread reply to a channel 9 video, "since this video was shot the codename for Blackcomb has indeed changed to Vienna. I haven't gotten the story on this yet, though."

While Windows Vista is intended to be a technologies-based release, with some UI changes (in the form of the Aero set of technologies and guidelines), Vienna is targeted directly at revolutionizing the way we interact with our home and office PCs.

For instance, the "Start" philosophy, introduced in Windows 95, may be completely replaced by a "new interface" which was said in 1999 to be scheduled for Blackcomb, before being moved to the Longhorn project, and then back to Blackcomb. The interface involved some ideas based upon truely 3D Windows and an intergration of what is now known as Sidebar.

The Explorer shell is expected to be replaced in its entirety, with features such as the taskbar being replaced by a new concept based on the last 10 years of research from Microsoft's "Vibe" lab. Projects such as GroupBar and LayoutBar are expected to make an appearance, allowing users to more effectively manage and keep track of their applications and documents while in use, and a new way of launching applications is expected - among other ideas, Microsoft is investigating a pie menu-type circular interface, similar in function to Apple's dock feature.

All features are speculation and rumour at this point. However, with Vista arriving so late (5 years after Windows XP) - will Vista sell to the masses just as many enterprise customers have moved to XP and many home users are comfortable with XP. Time will tell.

Windows Vienne Story

RE: Windows Vienna to follow Vista by Supersonicdarky on 01-19-2006 at 10:28 PM

whats the point of working on it before vista is out?

and the name sux >.<

RE: Windows Vienna to follow Vista by Hank on 01-19-2006 at 10:31 PM

whats the point, to fix Bugs up from Vista an get an earlier windows product out before there usual 5 year release

RE: Windows Vienna to follow Vista by RebelSean on 01-20-2006 at 12:24 AM

Vienna I do believe is just another codename, from what I understand :s. I might be wrong though.

RE: Windows Vienna to follow Vista by Hank on 01-20-2006 at 12:32 AM

quote:
Originally posted by XxRebelSeanxX
Vienna I do believe is just another codename, from what I understand :s. I might be wrong though.
your right, i prefer it to the name Vista,
RE: Windows Vienna to follow Vista by Voldemort on 01-20-2006 at 12:32 AM

quote:
Originally posted by XxRebelSeanxX
Vienna I do believe is just another codename, from what I understand (Smilie). I might be wrong though.
exactly.
i prefer the taskbar
* Voldemort cries!
RE: Windows Vienna to follow Vista by [MR] on 01-20-2006 at 12:43 AM

wtf kind of a name is windows Vienna?  where did they get the name from vienna sausages?

RE: Windows Vienna to follow Vista by Hank on 01-20-2006 at 01:15 AM

quote:
Originally posted by [MR
]wtf kind of a name is windows Vienna?

look at when MS changed Windows Longhorn to Windows Vista, people kicked up a stink about that but eventually got used to it, im sure people will get used to the New codename,
quote:
Originally posted by [MR
]where did they get the name from vienna sausages?
where they got it? who knows an who cares :refuck:
RE: Windows Vienna to follow Vista by Ezra on 01-20-2006 at 01:44 AM

And it not even true, it's the codename for Office Live Communication Server 2005

RE: Windows Vienna to follow Vista by RebelSean on 01-20-2006 at 01:47 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Ezra
And it not even true, it's the codename for Office Live Communication Server 2005

Is that not what Blackcomb was originaly going to be ^o)?

quote:
Originally posted by [MR
]wtf kind of a name is windows Vienna?  where did they get the name from vienna sausages?

Vienna is the codename, that is not the name that will be used for the final release of the operating system. I have no idea how the name was chosen, but I would like to find the people and pay them money to pick a decent codename :p.
RE: Windows Vienna to follow Vista by John Anderton on 01-21-2006 at 05:25 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Animal
your right, i prefer it to the name Vista,
(Y)
Thank god its a codename ..... imo longhorn was a nice name but its been overused as a codename for xp and then vista .... about time microsoft stopped the lamerism and came up with a new name :refuck:
RE: Windows Vienna to follow Vista by Eljay on 01-21-2006 at 05:28 PM

quote:
Originally posted by John Anderton
imo longhorn was a nice name but its been overused as a codename for xp and then vista

xp's codename was whistler no?
RE: Windows Vienna to follow Vista by Dempsey on 01-21-2006 at 05:39 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Eljay
quote:
imo longhorn was a nice name but its been overused as a codename for xp and then vista
:O for once Eljay is correct :O

Whistler        Windows XP (Merge of Odyssey & Neptune)       

Source:     Bink.nu
RE: Windows Vienna to follow Vista by John Anderton on 01-21-2006 at 05:47 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Dempsey
quote:
Originally posted by Eljay
quote:
:O for once Eljay is correct :O

Whistler        Windows XP (Merge of Odyssey & Neptune)       

Source:     Bink.nu
Orly ?
I thought it was longhorn ..... :-/

quote:
Whistler
Longhorn      2nd Edition of Windows XP (WinNT 5.X)
[....]
Whistler      Windows XP (WinNT 5.1)/ Windows Server 2003 (WinNT 5.2)
Finally join Windows NT and Windows 9X into a single operating system.
New user interface, skins support, everything available from the Start menu. Merge of Odyssey & Neptune.

See ;)
Then it was later called "Whistler" At first it was Longhorn :)

Source: BitzenBytes
RE: Windows Vienna to follow Vista by saralk on 01-22-2006 at 11:10 AM

I was just reading an article in a really old PCFormat magazine, when they were talking about Windows code names and they didn't have any screenshots for XP, so they gave a picture of a ski resort called Whistler instead.

Ah, the olden days...

RE: Windows Vienna to follow Vista by aNILEator on 01-23-2006 at 10:49 AM

whats the expected life of vista then :S as i was looking to get it

RE: RE: Windows Vienna to follow Vista by ipab on 01-29-2006 at 09:56 AM

quote:
Originally posted by saralk
I was just reading an article in a really old PCFormat magazine, when they were talking about Windows code names and they didn't have any screenshots for XP, so they gave a picture of a ski resort called Whistler instead.

Ah, the olden days...

well yes, whistler is a ski resort in BC.

I'm trying to find a place near whistler,  the place that seems to be the source of all the codenames
RE: Windows Vienna to follow Vista by Hank on 01-29-2006 at 10:12 AM

Microsoft To Skip Vista Beta 2

RE: Windows Vienna to follow Vista by Kryptonate on 01-29-2006 at 10:59 AM

quote:
whats the point, to fix Bugs up from Vista an get an earlier windows product out before there usual 5 year release
Normally Microsoft doesn't wait 5 year to bring out a new version of Windows.
Win 1.0: 1985
Win 2.0: 1987
Win 3.0: 1990
Win 3.1x: released from 1992 to 1994 (different versions)
Win 95: 1995
Win 98: 1998
Win 2k: 2000
Win ME: 2000
Win XP: 2001

quote:
Originally posted by [MR
]wtf kind of a name is windows Vienna?  where did they get the name from vienna sausages?
Whistler and Blackcomb were names of 2 ski resorts. Longhorn is the name of a bar in between those 2. Vienna comes from the capital of Austria. 

quote:
Then it was later called "Whistler" At first it was Longhorn
Longhorn never was a codename for Windows XP. Whistler was the only one. Longhorn has always been the codename of the successor of Windows XP.

quote:
Originally posted by Fukafly
whats the expected life of vista then :S as i was looking to get it
Don't expect Vienna to be ready before 2010 or so. They just have a new codename but there isn't much work done on it yet as  most of the programmers are working on Vista. Besides, no one forces you to go buy Vienna when it comes out and you already have Vista :).

quote:
Microsoft To Skip Vista Beta 2
they're not gonna bring a build out labeled Beta 2. They'll just keep on bringing out CTP's. So basically there's not much of a difference. Too bad they're dropping a bit of the Virtual folders (like so many things :dodgy:).
RE: Windows Vienna to follow Vista by Hank on 01-29-2006 at 11:09 AM

windows 1.0 was a disaster from whzt iv'e read an heard about it, dunno about 2.0. i only ever used win3.0 3.1 an upwards, IMo, its a Bad idea to drop beta 2, all this is, is gonna be a Rush Job to get Vista out on time, the hell with security

RE: Windows Vienna to follow Vista by Kryptonate on 01-29-2006 at 11:16 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Neowin.net

Microsoft-Watch has just posted a really interesting story concerning the remainder of the Windows Vista beta phase. According to Microsoft's own Jim Allchin, the software giant will not be releasing any one build labeled as the definitive Vista Beta 2. Instead the company is going to rely on additional CTP builds of the next-generation operating system to receive fresh feedback from the enthusiast and beta community.

Allchin went onto explain exactly how the remainder of the Vista Beta program will take place. Build 5270 or the 'December CTP' was described as a "partner" beta of Vista being directed at the testing community in general. The next major CTP release slated for the first quarter of 2006 will be directed at enterprise, or "TAP" beta participants. Allchin commented that this build will include the ability to install on top of an existing Windows XP installation and may or may not include the much anticipated Windows Sidebar for users to play with. A third build labeled as "Beta 2" (much like 5270 was and the upcoming Q1 'TAP' build), will be released around April of this year and will be labeled as a major 'CPP' or "Customer Preview Program" release. "Customers do need significant milestones," Allchin said. "But you could classify CTPs as betas, but for a different audience."

Other interesting information contained in the article includes:

* No traditional "Release Candidate" builds of Vista
    * Vista stamped media will not contain all the different product 'bits' or versions as previously reported
    * Introduction of a "Windows Anytime Upgrade" program allowing customers to change Vista SKU's easily
    * Two more 'traditional' beta releases for Vista Server, including a new Beta 3 release in Q3 (More CTP builds as well)
    * Vista is now "feature-complete' and some features might even be cut if stability/performance milestones cannot be achieved

This is a dramatic shift in the way Microsoft will run the remainder of the Vista Beta program. It will be interesting to see if this new policy of directed CTP builds will result in an improved final product, or end up being the Achilles heel for this much anticipated operating system from Microsoft.

Paul Thurrott has also posted a lenghty interview with Jim Allchin which signifigantly clarifies the remainder of this beta program. Allchin reveals to Thurrott that Microsoft will be cutting back on the idea of 'Virtual Folders', and that the planned April CTP could be thought of as the major public preview.