Shoutbox

Copyright laws - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: General (/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+---- Forum: General Chit Chat (/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+----- Thread: Copyright laws (/showthread.php?tid=55106)

Copyright laws by ss2005 on 01-20-2006 at 07:14 PM

today at skool i got my computer access taken away because on my usb/mp3 player that i use to save my school work on, there was music on it and my school said i was breaking copyright laws. who thinks this is rubbish?

RE: Copyright laws by absorbation on 01-20-2006 at 07:18 PM

Total rubbish, school computers are useless with all the restrictions nowadays.

RE: Copyright laws by Dempsey on 01-20-2006 at 07:30 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Absorbation
Total rubbish, school computers are useless with all the restrictions nowadays.
they aren't rubbish, they are perfectly adequate for what they are designed to do, help you ith school work, they are just rubbish for people who want to play games or use MSN Messenger :P
RE: Copyright laws by Rodney on 01-20-2006 at 07:31 PM

Make them prove it... tell them you got it from iTunes or somewhere else, or even ripped it from your own original cd (so you paid for it)

AFAIK there is no way they could prove it was downloaded from P2P.

RE: Copyright laws by Purity on 01-20-2006 at 07:32 PM

:rofl:  what the fuck do they care it's yours... those files arn't
even touching hte schools shit, geez, that even pisses me off.
Ugh, get your parents to bitch at them, it's none of their fuckin
business.  That's so lame, do they have nothing better to do?
^o)  what country you live in?

RE: Copyright laws by user27089 on 01-20-2006 at 07:34 PM

It isn't against the law, it was on your usb stick and only accessible by you. It would be illegal if it was stored on the schools servers.

RE: Copyright laws by ss2005 on 01-20-2006 at 07:36 PM

the thing is i said all this and they are still insistent on banning me not only that im in yr11 taking gcse ict, how can i do my work? total rubbish, my school sucks big time

RE: RE: Copyright laws by FormulaFreak on 01-20-2006 at 07:39 PM

quote:
Originally posted by traxor
It isn't against the law, it was on your usb stick and only accessible by you. It would be illegal if it was stored on the schools servers.

Agree. If it's only on your usb stick, it's none of the schools business.
RE: Copyright laws by Ezra on 01-20-2006 at 07:40 PM

wasn't it innocent until proven otherwise? :P

But it's total bull yeah, don't know for sure where you live, but in the netherlands, we are allowed to make a copy for personal use. However it's not allowed to break copyright protection. But it's also legal to download for personal use. This does not break protection ;)

BTW: Downloading is not allowed for everything!, afaik not software.

RE: Copyright laws by ss2005 on 01-20-2006 at 07:43 PM

i live in england an fair enough i understand if i put it on the school computers but on my usb stick thats just bull

RE: Copyright laws by absorbation on 01-20-2006 at 07:49 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Dempsey
they aren't rubbish, they are perfectly adequate for what they are designed to do, help you ith school work, they are just rubbish for people who want to play games or use MSN Messenger (Smilie)
that's not a bug, thats an unexpected feature

Messenger Plus! Soun

in my school they block all image seaches and the amount of software to do work is limted. We end up doing school computer work involing research at home due to this. They dont trust us to do image searches. in uni you get it good :refuck:
RE: Copyright laws by M73A on 01-20-2006 at 07:56 PM

quote:
Originally posted by ss2005
i live in england an fair enough i understand if i put it on the school computers but on my usb stick thats just bull
HELP

i have music on my area..... (go same school).... but its not in the network... its on my user area... (well it is on the network, but not public) its for ym use only as i have the password... is that copyright infringement? because if i get pulled up i want to be able to say FU*K YOU! .... but if im wrong ill delete the stuff

also... in the network:

Media - French - Songs - metis track 01.mp3

that is a french song the teacher showed us.... it was realesed by this french sports guy as a single... so that being on a public server is breaking copyright correct?
RE: Copyright laws by Plik on 01-20-2006 at 07:58 PM

If they have taken your access while you are supposed to be doing an ICT GCSE then you should raise the problem with whoever maybe concerned (E.G. The school head, or your ict teacher if they don't know about it) because its a legal requirement for everybody to be at grade C or above standard before they are 18(i think thats the age) now in the UK.

And believe me, getting a C in your GCSE is alot better then not and then having to do super patronising key skills :dodgy:

RE: Copyright laws by MC.POP on 01-20-2006 at 07:58 PM

yeah thats not right at all its yours after all...and btw how the heck did they know it was taken out of hte net u could just tell them u ahd the cd at home and u just copied it on the usb...

RE: Copyright laws by user27089 on 01-20-2006 at 08:01 PM

quote:
Originally posted by M73A
quote:

i have music on my area..... (go same school).... but its not in the network... its on my user area... (well it is on the network, but not public) its for ym use only as i have the password... is that copyright infringement? because if i get pulled up i want to be able to say FU*K YOU! .... but if im wrong ill delete the stuff

also... in the network:

Media - French - Songs - metis track 01.mp3

that is a french song the teacher showed us.... it was realesed by this french sports guy as a single... so that being on a public server is breaking copyright correct?

That's illegal, the school would have to buy a license to each song for it to be legal, as it is on their server. You don't have to though, as it's your music, you already own a license.
RE: Copyright laws by ss2005 on 01-20-2006 at 08:02 PM

they dont no it is illegal they said by the labelling of the song they know it is though. i said i downloaded it from itunes and ripped it from cd.

RE: Copyright laws by M73A on 01-20-2006 at 08:02 PM

hmm.. its on their server... but under space that has been allocated to me...

so would that in effect work asif it was under my license because nobody else can access it besides myself (or a damn admin if they decide to but why would they cause stealin mp3s off me is illegal, lol)

i've been in the ict office... and thae fat dude was on winmx... thats closed so don't know what hes up to now

RE: Copyright laws by MC.POP on 01-20-2006 at 08:04 PM

quote:
they dont no it is illegal they said by the labelling of the song they know it is though. i said i downloaded it from itunes and ripped it from cd.
well they cant know that actually because if u rip from the original cd they will all come out as track 1.mp3 track 2.mp3....etc....
RE: Copyright laws by absorbation on 01-20-2006 at 08:12 PM

Also in music you can connect your mp3 players for work reasons to play your work etc.

RE: Copyright laws by M73A on 01-20-2006 at 08:14 PM

does anyone have a link to the copyright laws in the u.k. concerning music? i can't find a copy of the actual law itself

RE: Copyright laws by user35870 on 01-20-2006 at 08:40 PM

quote:
Originally posted by M73A
does anyone have a link to the copyright laws in the u.k. concerning music?

http://www.copyrightservice.co.uk/copyright/p01_uk_copyright_law

quote:
It is an offence to perform any of the following acts without the consent of the owner:

Copy the work.

Rent, lend or issue copies of the work to the public.

Perform, broadcast or show the work in public.

Adapt the work.

RE: Copyright laws by Ezra on 01-20-2006 at 08:52 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Chr1s
It is an offence to perform any of the following acts without the consent of the owner:

Copy the work.

Rent, lend or issue copies of the work to the public.

Perform, broadcast or show the work in public.

Adapt the work.

Say's nothing about downloading ;) only uploading :P

And btw, there are online shops where you can download non DRM music. They sell you normal mp3's.