Shoutbox

World Jump Day - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: General (/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+---- Forum: General Chit Chat (/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+----- Thread: World Jump Day (/showthread.php?tid=55128)

World Jump Day by Rik on 01-21-2006 at 09:10 PM

The folks behind World Jump Day are trying to shift the earth into a new orbit
the idea is that if 600 million people all jump at the same time will shift the earth into a different orbit and solve our warming problem.

website --->  http://worldjumpday.org/

they're going to do it on the 20 July

RE: World Jump Day by Stigmata on 01-21-2006 at 09:10 PM

i signed up yonks ago :D

RE: World Jump Day by user27089 on 01-21-2006 at 09:13 PM

Surely, doing something at this scale could cause something quite horrific to happen:?

RE: World Jump Day by Joe on 01-21-2006 at 09:17 PM

it's not going to affect anything, but hell i'll do it..

RE: World Jump Day by Plik on 01-21-2006 at 09:19 PM

i swear i remember a thread about this from agers ago :-/
Its probably been pruned now ¬¬
but it had someone (cookie i think) proving why it wouldn't work.

RE: World Jump Day by Voldemort on 01-21-2006 at 09:22 PM

it is not going to work.

RE: World Jump Day by Joe on 01-21-2006 at 09:25 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Plik
i swear i remember a thread about this from agers ago :-/
Its probably been pruned now ¬¬
but it had someone (cookie i think) proving why it wouldn't work.

I'd say it probably was Cookie, he seems to know everything;)...
RE: World Jump Day by RaceProUK on 01-21-2006 at 10:10 PM

It probably centred on Newton's Third Law of Motion.

RE: World Jump Day by Ezra on 01-21-2006 at 10:38 PM

Lol, they say it will make it warmer on the arctic and colder in the desert, but making it warmer in the arctic will make the ice meld, and it will be the same if global warming happends :P

RE: World Jump Day by zach on 01-21-2006 at 10:44 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Ezra
Lol, they say it will make it warmer on the arctic and colder in the desert, but making it warmer in the arctic will make the ice meld, and it will be the same if global warming happends [Image: msn_tongue.gif]
The obviously haven't thought about that. So if I jump here in New Zealand, I'm going to push the world in the wrong direction?

quote:
they say only people on the western hemisphere are allowed to jump
Oh.

Also, don't scientists say that even though there are more people being born each day, the Earth doesn't get heavier?
RE: World Jump Day by Ezra on 01-21-2006 at 10:54 PM

lol, make a anti-wjd website :P

Calling everybody on the eastern-hemisphere to counter jump :D

RE: World Jump Day by Tasha on 01-21-2006 at 11:02 PM

Hmm... for one thing, how's it gonna move? If it's all over the world, isn't everyone gonna counter-act each-others jumps on either side of the world? But yeah, it's just a stupid scam, probably to get emails or something. ¬¬ When a scientist proves to me it will solve global warming and will actually work... Maybe I'd believe it wasn't a scam.

RE: World Jump Day by Ezra on 01-21-2006 at 11:03 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Tasha
Hmm... for one thing, how's it gonna move? If it's all over the world, isn't everyone gonna counter-act each-others jumps on either side of the world? But yeah, it's just a stupid scam, probably to get emails or something. ¬¬ When a scientist proves to me it will solve global warming and will actually work... Maybe I'd believe it wasn't a scam.

RE: World Jump Day by Tasha on 01-21-2006 at 11:04 PM

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Tasha

In which case it isn't World Jump Day. :tongue:
RE: World Jump Day by Voldemort on 01-21-2006 at 11:05 PM

jump for the world wouldve been better

RE: World Jump Day by qgroessl on 01-21-2006 at 11:06 PM

Yeah :p they're in too broad of a space for it to work... We were talking about this in science class with newtons laws of motions... umm... yes you were probably right by saying the third one... :p... It would be cool to do and for it to work.... but yeah... not going to happen lol.

RE: World Jump Day by Supersonicdarky on 01-21-2006 at 11:22 PM

what if we push it to far that we'll leave the orbit and go into outer space? :S

and it would be all the persons fault who made it up :P

RE: World Jump Day by Timothy003 on 01-21-2006 at 11:37 PM

Signed up for this last summer. Why do they need our emails, anyway? They can just count how many IP's have viewed the page.

What about the sun's great gravitational pull? We are so tiny in such a big world. Can it really make such a difference? Maybe, like three or so miles, yeah!

I don't mean to be so negative about it, but it seems very ridiculous. As Tasha said, it might just be some kind of scam unless scientific measurements prove more than just changing our planetary positioning would prevent global warming. After all, they didn't say it 'scientifically' would work.

RE: World Jump Day by Voldemort on 01-22-2006 at 12:25 AM

it wont do anything, gravitational forces are huge.

RE: World Jump Day by tony on 01-22-2006 at 12:40 AM

:lol: that's stupid, i wont jump

[Image: earth5rh.th.jpg]

i think it wont work :undecided:

RE: RE: World Jump Day by Supersonicdarky on 01-22-2006 at 12:47 AM

quote:
Originally posted by beamy-kitty
http://www.madphysics.com/ask/jump/
an answer based on physics^

yay, i knew it was fake :D
i'll jump anyways :P

quote:
Originally posted by beamy-kitty
umm..did u also read the one about everyone laying down on one side of the earth and everyone standing up on the other side..?:P

wtf? how the hell does that do anything? :S
RE: World Jump Day by ddunk on 01-22-2006 at 01:01 AM

quote:
Originally posted by shrbr
:lol: that's stupid, i wont jump

[Image: earth5rh.th.jpg]

i think it wont work :undecided:
quote:

RE: World Jump Day by Voldemort on 01-22-2006 at 01:22 AM

:lol: the h atom is the smallest one...
we would move less than half the diameter of an h atom :P :tongue:
:happy:

RE: World Jump Day by lrac522 on 01-22-2006 at 01:39 AM

I would definately do it but then again, how will i remember the date? I sometimes remember my birthday when it's way past gone.

RE: World Jump Day by Supersonicdarky on 01-22-2006 at 01:46 AM

it sends u a reminder 1 day before if u check the box

RE: World Jump Day by J.J on 01-22-2006 at 01:48 AM

quote:
Originally posted by damm-o
it is not going to work.
For some reason,  i just imagined you saying that with a Hermione Granger accent :lol:

But seriousely, you're stupid if you think it'll work 8-)
RE: World Jump Day by Voldemort on 01-22-2006 at 01:54 AM

it is not casualty, TD

RE: World Jump Day by Rik on 01-22-2006 at 04:52 PM

they don't have enough persons...and i don't bellive that they are going to get 200.000.000 and more persons in seven months

RE: World Jump Day by RaPLeX on 01-22-2006 at 10:11 PM

We doesn't jump in Turkey.So we shouldn't not jump so much :D.Cuz we are already earthquake country :D :D But Im basketball player,Im everyday jumpin' to 3.15 meters 7/24 :D (h)

RE: World Jump Day by Pipish on 01-23-2006 at 12:10 AM

why do we need the whole world to jump surley hmmmmmmm i better not say that

its a good idea who comes up with these things?

RE: World Jump Day by ~INVASION~ on 01-23-2006 at 02:15 AM

|-) i made a thread about this like a year ago and im sure someone else made one 2 years ago

but ya, impossible

RE: World Jump Day by Chris4 on 01-23-2006 at 02:27 AM

Surely they wouldn't have wasted all the time and effort if it wasn't going to work?

RE: World Jump Day by Curtis on 01-23-2006 at 03:44 AM

This is so funny, I can't beleive they would actually try this...

RE: World Jump Day by Pyroteq on 01-23-2006 at 05:36 AM

if the whole world jumped at the same time, imagine the noise in a really populated city..

RE: World Jump Day by Weyzza on 01-25-2006 at 02:10 AM

So...

If I want to "contribute", I have to jump at 4:39 in the morning?
This is the first time I think sleeping isn't useless.

And I was wondering why only people on the western hemisphere are allowed to jump.
Because they are stupid enough to get tricked? :lol:

RE: World Jump Day by RebelSean on 01-25-2006 at 02:39 AM

If they actually put this thing into mass campaigns, get money to fund advertising the shit out of it, put more information up oh the pluses of actually doing it, they would get way more people doing this and could maybe make it work. Then again, that's if scientifically this is possible.

RE: World Jump Day by CookieRevised on 01-25-2006 at 02:55 PM

There are thousands and thousands of reasons why this will never work.

Simply the fact that specifying a time to jump is not nearly specific enough, even if you leave out all the physics, counter forces, etc, it will have absolutely no effect (not even a super-duper-micromillimeter) if people don't jump on the exact same time (and with time I mean measured in microseconds and less).

Also, people are not external forces. If you jump, you actually push into the earth with a (rediculus small) force. And after that it is only a matter of mass which object will attrack the other (human or earth) and will move back towards the other object due to gravity. Thus actually moving back in place as it was before...

To have a decent "effect" (again leaving out all the physics and stuff, thus assuming it would work, even by 1 millimeter), people should jump on the same spot, no spread all over the (western) earth.

If the earth is moved out of orbit and gets another orbit, global warming would be the least of our concearns.

etc... etc... you can go on for pages and pages why this is so absolutely rediculus...

RE: World Jump Day by Voldemort on 01-26-2006 at 05:57 PM

quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
If the earth is moved out of orbit and gets another orbit, global warming would be the least of our concearns.

:lol:!!!!one!!!!11!!!eleven!!
cookie is right.
and i wont jump.
RE: World Jump Day by QtanJ on 01-27-2006 at 02:35 PM

I'm going to jump, but I'm sure it won't work(not only because you said so earlier in this thread)

RE: World Jump Day by mwe99 on 01-27-2006 at 02:57 PM

lol didnt they do this before? im sure they did cos i jumped along with my school when a bell sounded at like 11am...

we got a longer break(recess) to jump too haha :P

RE: World Jump Day by John Anderton on 01-27-2006 at 03:11 PM

quote:
Originally posted by mwe99
i jumped along with my school when a bell sounded at like 11am...
:dodgy:
RE: World Jump Day by mwe99 on 01-27-2006 at 04:29 PM

whats wrong with that lol? :P

RE: World Jump Day by CookieRevised on 01-28-2006 at 01:06 AM

Nothing actually; it's great to have some pointless fun like this (especially when doing it with lots of people)...

Though, it would be a bit "wrong" if people actually believed they can make the world go into another orbit or believe the stuff about how it would change global warming etc...

RE: World Jump Day by Voldemort on 01-28-2006 at 01:38 AM

quote:
Though, it would be a bit "wrong" if people actually believed they can make the world go into another orbit or believe the stuff about how it would change global warming etc...

Yes, specially at a school.
RE: RE: World Jump Day by rav0 on 02-02-2006 at 12:55 PM

Why do they say jump on a hard surface? It would matter if you were trying to smash something by jumping on it, but  jumping on any surface on Earth will have the same effect (not changing the orbit).

quote:
Originally posted by mwe99
lol didnt they do this before? im sure they did cos i jumped along with my school when a bell sounded at like 11am...

we got a longer break(recess) to jump too haha :P

I was going to post this, I saw it on the news. When was it and where?
quote:
Originally posted by damm-o
quote:

Yes, specially at a school.

It was a whole bunch of schools (I think), and it was to make an earthquake (it worked).

quote:
Also, people are not external forces. If you jump, you actually push into the earth with a (rediculus small) force. And after that it is only a matter of mass which object will attrack the other (human or earth) and will move back towards the other object due to gravity. Thus actually moving back in place as it was before...
For those that didn't understand this; it's like standing on top a panel on timber (example only) and then trying to lift it. No matter how much hard you try, you can't lift the timber because you're on it, and the pull force from your hands is levelled out by the push force of your feet.

If you stand next to the timber, then you can lift it easily because the pull of your hands is on the timber, but the push of your feet is on the ground. That makes you an external force.

If you're standing on the the timber, you and the timber are together, and you can't exert an external force. You might be able to move the panel a bit, you can't lift it. If though somebody else (extremely strong :dodgy:) can lift you both, being an external force.