Shoutbox

Unsure if anyone can help me - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: Unsure if anyone can help me (/showthread.php?tid=55214)

Unsure if anyone can help me by Craze_critter on 01-24-2006 at 02:47 PM

I'm not sure if anyone here can help, but i thought best to ask here since from what i see everyone knows all the tricks and hacks for msn(not a bad thing).

My problem is this or question more like...does anyone know if it's possible for someone to hack into an email account an change the way it is sent...not the email account but the name associated with it...i don't know if this has happened to me but it's all i can think of that has happened and right now is causing alot of problems...this has happened to my hotnail account associated with msn messenger and my yahoo...any help in solving this would be greatfully appreciated.

RE: Unsure if anyone can help me by Kryptonate on 01-24-2006 at 02:52 PM

Hacking a hotmail account is not something you do in 5 minutes, it's  not easy. So I doubt anyone hacked it just to change one setting. Unless you told someone your password I doubt anything happened due to another person.

RE: Unsure if anyone can help me by CookieRevised on 01-24-2006 at 07:22 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Craze_critter
does anyone know if it's possible for someone to hack into an email account an change the way it is sent...not the email account but the name associated with it...
And what do you exactly mean by that?

Does your email stay the same?
Is it just the name before it that changes?
More specific details please, if possible with a (mock-up) example of what you exactly mean; what you exactly see and what you want to see...

As it is now, and from what I can guess from your description as it is now, it is only the name field setting which is wrong in your email client, no hacking or whatever...

RE: Unsure if anyone can help me by Craze_critter on 01-25-2006 at 09:58 AM

I think that's what I mean. My email reads one thing to to me example...

From

someone@hotmail.com

But when it is received it reads entirly different

someoneelse@hotmail.com

It's still from me and whoever receives can send back but to them it is not from me. confusing i know.

RE: Unsure if anyone can help me by dominions on 01-25-2006 at 11:55 AM

I'll try and give a better example of the problem.  It's actually a yahoo problem - nothing to do with hotmail.

In this example Person A claims their one and only account is:  test@yahoo.com   ... (example)

Person B receives an e-mail from Person A, but the account it is received from is:  abc@yahoo.com, not test@yahoo.com.  However, the name field says it is from "test" - and the reply address is:  test@yahoo.com. 

The question is - why/how did Person B receive an e-mail from "abc@yahoo.com" instead of "test@yahoo.com".

Long winded - hope it makes more sense.

RE: Unsure if anyone can help me by brian on 01-25-2006 at 11:59 AM

Well, in special mail headers, the "From: X" can be anything withen the X, and the "X-Replyto-Email" or something similar is the email that will be sent back the reply.

RE: Unsure if anyone can help me by CookieRevised on 01-25-2006 at 02:40 PM

This sounds more like a Yahoo mail provider problem/bug (if it is really like you said and not like nvez suggested) and thus should be best addressed to Yahoo instead...

I don't know the Yahoo webmail that good, but it is indeed very well possible that your name is shown correctly, but that the underlying email address is simply wrong.

So make sure you have set the correct email in the primary email settings of your yahoo account and not some random other email address.

When replying to an email address the mail provider always first looks at the field "Reply-To" and if that isn't filled in, only then it looks to what is put under the "From:" field (thus after your name). This could explain why people see your name (text in "From:" field), but see a different email address (link in "From:" field), yet they can reply to the correct email adress ("Reply-To" field). eg:

To: "MyFriend" <myfriend@yahoo.com>
Reply-To: <dominions@yahoo.com>