Shoutbox

throw back to msgr history... - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Skype & Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+----- Thread: throw back to msgr history... (/showthread.php?tid=55218)

throw back to msgr history... by guanako on 01-24-2006 at 05:37 PM

i been thinkin that WLM should come with a new sound scheme, i just think that would be cool, i've been using MSN Messenger since about mid 2002, but wat i want to know is, have the sounds on msgr always been the same? or wat did all versions had? anyone can find this info?

RE: throw back to msgr history... by Supersonicdarky on 01-24-2006 at 08:50 PM

get other msn messenger versions from mess.be. they have all versions down to 1

install them and look in the folder

RE: throw back to msgr history... by GiantSpider on 01-24-2006 at 09:31 PM

Bere in mind you will not be able to use them.

RE: throw back to msgr history... by CookieRevised on 01-24-2006 at 09:42 PM

quote:
Originally posted by guanako
have the sounds on msgr always been the same?
Depends on what you call "msgr".

Every MSN Messenger prior to version 5  (eventhough it wasn't called MSN Messenger in version 1, 2, etc) had the same sounds (but less of them of course) than what they use now in Windows Messenger.

Since MSN Messenger 5, the sounds changed to what they are today. However, gradually more sounds have been added since though.

RE: throw back to msgr history... by guanako on 01-24-2006 at 11:44 PM

i know, im just curious about the sounds, then i think i pretty much have heard them all, but dont u think it would be cool to have new ones for WLM?

RE: throw back to msgr history... by n0n3x1574n7 on 01-25-2006 at 12:02 AM

I think this is the old sound when someone said something on pre-5.0 versions. (attached)

And yes it would be quite good if they changed the sounds, and they may do, after all the final release of WLM isn't for quite a while is it?

RE: throw back to msgr history... by CookieRevised on 01-25-2006 at 01:45 PM

It isn't good nor bad if they change sounds, it's all down to personal preferences. eg: I like the sounds they use now, I'm not sure if I would like new sounds as many stuff on my pc is based around those sounds (to have specific sound notifs when I'm not at the pc)...

quote:
Originally posted by n0n3x1574n7
I think this is the old sound when someone said something on pre-5.0 versions. (attached)
Those who have Windows Messenger (eg: all with Windows XP) can simply listen to those sounds, they are exactly the same.
RE: RE: throw back to msgr history... by n0n3x1574n7 on 01-25-2006 at 07:08 PM

quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
It isn't good nor bad if they change sounds, it's all down to personal preferences. eg: I like the sounds they use now, I'm not sure if I would like new sounds as many stuff on my pc is based around those sounds (to have specific sound notifs when I'm not at the pc)...

quote:
Those who have Windows Messenger (eg: all with Windows XP) can simply listen to those sounds, they are exactly the same.

Yes thats where I got mine from lol ;)

\Program Files\Messenger\
RE: throw back to msgr history... by [MR] on 01-25-2006 at 10:10 PM

quote:
Yes thats where I got mine from lol (Smilie)

but he was asking for the sounds of msn messenger from its first version to more advanced ones.
RE: RE: throw back to msgr history... by n0n3x1574n7 on 01-25-2006 at 10:46 PM

quote:
Originally posted by [MR]
quote:
Yes thats where I got mine from lol (Smilie)

but he was asking for the sounds of msn messenger from its first version to more advanced ones.

Windows Messenger is MSN Messenger isn't it? Just they rename different versions. Just like they have changed the name again to Windows Live Messenger.

I thought it went like:

Windows Messenger 1 - 4
MSN Messenger 5 - 7
Windows Live Messenger 8+

Please correct me if I'm wrong as this is something I've been wondering about :D
RE: throw back to msgr history... by [MR] on 01-25-2006 at 11:24 PM

no windows messenger isnt msn.  msn messenger 1-4 is totally different, but they do look similar. 

RE: throw back to msgr history... by qgroessl on 01-25-2006 at 11:28 PM

Windows messenger is just something they put with windows machines... Now people can use they're home email accounts on windows messenger and stuff... Like... My friend owns a business... her address is something@herbusiness.net (i can't remember what it is exactly)... But that's the address she used for the passport.

RE: throw back to msgr history... by Voldemort on 01-25-2006 at 11:28 PM

windows messenger is business oriented, many people say its more secure than msn, wlm or msn are more like... non business oriented.. to normal people, casual users

RE: RE: throw back to msgr history... by CookieRevised on 01-25-2006 at 11:41 PM

quote:
Windows Messenger is MSN Messenger isn't it?
Just they rename different versions.
No, they were never the same (dispite what people might say!!) and they are totally different products made by different teams and aimed for a different userbase (Windows Messenger is bussiness oriented, MSN Messenger is "casual" oriented).

quote:
I thought it went like:
Windows Messenger 1 - 4
No:

quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
Every MSN Messenger prior to version 5  (eventhough it wasn't called MSN Messenger in version 1, 2, etc) had the same sounds (but less of them of course) than what they use now in Windows Messenger.

Since MSN Messenger 5, the sounds changed to what they are today. However, gradually more sounds have been added since though.

There was no "Windows Messenger" v1, 2, 3, etc... nor was there a "MSN Messenger".

There was only 1 messenger and it was called "MSN Messenger Service".

It was only later (after v4) that the product was split into "MSN Messenger" and "Windows Messenger". Windows Messenger stayed with major version number 4 and went on from that (to 5.1.xxxx today), and MSN Messenger started with major build v5.0 (to 6.2.xxxx today)...

And with the birth of "Windows Live Messenger" (following the major build number path of MSN Messenger, starting at v8), the aim is again to merge both "MSN Messenger" and "Windows Messenger" into one product again.

All the above goes for MSN and Windows Messenger for Windows. For the Mac, there is/was a MSN Messenger v1, 2, 3, 4....

---

The sounds used in "Windows Messenger" today are still exactly the same as the ones used in "MSN Messenger Service" (though, back then there were less sounds).
RE: throw back to msgr history... by Jhrono on 01-25-2006 at 11:46 PM

quote:
Originally posted by groessl35
Now people can use they're home email accounts on windows messenger and stuff... Like... My friend owns a business... her address is something@herbusiness.net (i can't remember what it is exactly)... But that's the address she used for the passport.
:|  ?? You can already use that with msn messenger and with every single .net passport thingie (connect.microsoft.com per example). My net passport is a gmail email, per example. all you have to do is to register the email at http://www.passport.net and you'll be able to use it in msn messenger/windows messenger and in other services!!
RE: throw back to msgr history... by qgroessl on 01-25-2006 at 11:51 PM

I know you can now... But I don't think you could before they offered windows messenger?... maybe you could... but oh well.

RE: throw back to msgr history... by CookieRevised on 01-25-2006 at 11:53 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Johny
quote:
Originally posted by groessl35
Now people can use they're home email accounts on windows messenger and stuff... Like... My friend owns a business... her address is something@herbusiness.net (i can't remember what it is exactly)... But that's the address she used for the passport.
:|  ?? You can already use that with msn messenger and with every single .net passport thingie (connect.microsoft.com per example). My net passport is a gmail email, per example. all you have to do is to register the email at http://www.passport.net and you'll be able to use it in msn messenger/windows messenger and in other services!!

Indeed... the .NET Passport has got not much todo with what you can use as IM program.

Though, in the early days, when .NET Passport didn't existed yet as they do now, you only could sign in with a hotmail or other MS related email address. But since years and years, since the .NET service was born, you can sign in with any MS IM program using your .NET Passport.

And a .NET Passport can be anything you like, it does not need to be an email from MS at all. Though MS emails are automatically also .NET Passports.....