Shoutbox

formatting software - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: formatting software (/showthread.php?tid=55227)

formatting software by DJKAL on 01-24-2006 at 07:55 PM

i need to format my second hard-drive, but not install windows XP onto it after.
i couldn't see this option when i ran the windows XP home edition software disk that i have,
is there any other software which will format this drive for me?
thanks for any help and links :)

RE: formatting software by CookieRevised on 01-24-2006 at 08:03 PM

No software needed...

Simply install the second hard drive (make sure your BIOS settings are correct) and right click the drive in Windows Explorer and choose "Format".

RE: formatting software by DJKAL on 01-24-2006 at 08:05 PM

quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
Windows Explorer and choose "Format".
this isnt a full format usually, often it leaves bits behind, thats why i want other software and to not just do it like that. lol.
RE: formatting software by CookieRevised on 01-24-2006 at 08:07 PM

You didn't specified that before. Always be as clear and as detailed as possible when you make posts...

Anyways, with the "format" feature in Windows Explorer you always can choose to do a "full format" instead of a "quick format"...

--------------------------

PS: There isn't any reason (much) why you specifically need a complete erase of your hard disk for your own use. Nothing will be wrong or will get corrupted or whatever if you simply choose a "quick format", and certainly not with a "full format".

A "quick format" will only format the FAT of your drive. This is all which is needed to ensure a working blank hard disk (if the drive was formatted before).

Any data left on your hard disk (after a quick format) will simply be overwritten when needed. The physical bits and bytes which still might exist doesn't exist anymore for Windows, so there is absolutely no harm (or reason) why you explicitly need a full erase (for your own use). It has absolutely no disadvantage for Windows when the hard disk wasn't completely erased.

A "full format" will also set each byte on your disk to 0, making recovering files virtually impossible by normal means (means accessable by you and me. Though there are high-tech ways to maybe still recover some stuff, but this is only possible with highly specialized and highly expensive hardware methods). Which is more than secure enough for every day (and more) usage of a hard disk.

If you want it for security reasons, eg: you're gonna sell/give the hard disk away, see "CookieRevised's reply to Full erase" first, and after reading and understanding that post, read the full thread...

;)

RE: formatting software by DJKAL on 01-24-2006 at 08:35 PM

thanks cookie, now my head hurts
* DJKAL finds asprin!
i have no incriminating files or evidence on ther :dodgy:
i just want to wipe it clean so that when i use the hard drive again no files are on there, even though with the right software they are traceble, i knew that anyway. i just want to wipe them off.
sorry for not stating that on the first post!
the one i was going to use was "DARIKS BOOT AND NUKE" but from my understanding this wipes ALL hard drives, and i only want to wipe one of 2 in my PC.
i want software which wil ldo this, the same as the standard windows XP disk, when you format before installing
but i dont want to install after XP on that drive after.
any links to software which can do this?

RE: formatting software by CookieRevised on 01-24-2006 at 08:48 PM

quote:
Originally posted by DJKAL
i just want to wipe it clean so that when i use the hard drive again no files are on there, even though with the right software they are traceble, i knew that anyway. i just want to wipe them off.
if you simply want to wipe out the disk, as you say it, simply use the format feature in Windows Explorer and choose "full format"*. that's all you need.

* that is: don't tick the option "quick format".

[Image: attachment.php?pid=594546]
RE: formatting software by DJKAL on 01-24-2006 at 08:55 PM

ok, il try this :)

glad i didnt submt!

i get an error saying it cant format because contents may be in use and to close any windows currently displaying the contents,
but
there are no windows open and nothing from that drive is in use because it was only ever used to stoer music which is no on my other hard drive and so there is nothing from that drive being used, no software was ever installed on it :S

RE: formatting software by CookieRevised on 01-24-2006 at 08:59 PM

Make sure your selection cursor in Windows Explorer is NOT on the drive you want to format. Only right-click the drive, don't click on it to access the right-click popup menu.

eg: If you want format drive E, select Drive C first to make sure the cursor is not on drive E, then right-click on drive E and select format.

RE: formatting software by DJKAL on 01-24-2006 at 09:02 PM

tryed this, still no luck ....
i have even closed MY COMPUTER
and that didnt help :S

RE: formatting software by prashker on 01-24-2006 at 09:04 PM

What about

Start>Run>cmd>format X:/

(X being the drive you want to format)

?

RE: formatting software by DJKAL on 01-24-2006 at 09:06 PM

quote:
Originally posted by SonicSam
Start>Run>cmd>format X:/
do i type in: "cmd>format C:/"
cos that doesnt work?
RE: formatting software by prashker on 01-24-2006 at 09:07 PM

no....in run type "cmd" which opens the command prompt

then type

format C:

edit: look at pic :)

RE: formatting software by DJKAL on 01-24-2006 at 09:11 PM

its wirking now
it still said the same problem, but ended it anyway :)
thanks guys!

RE: formatting software by CookieRevised on 01-24-2006 at 09:17 PM

WTF??????????

PEOPLE PLEASE READ!!!

quote:
i need to format my second hard-drive
In lamens terms this means a hard disk WHICH HE DOESN'T USE AS STARTUP HARD DISK...

DJKAL, congratulations, you just have formatted your startup drive.... :dodgy: :dodgy: :dodgy: :dodgy: :dodgy: :dodgy: :dodgy: :dodgy: :dodgy:

---------------------

And DJKAL, if you asked for this, be SPECIFIC in the futur!!!!!! You explicitly said "second" hard drive, which can not be your startup drive....

If you were specific from the start I could have said from the beginning that you can not format the hard disk which you used to start up Windows (by the method I specified).
RE: formatting software by DJKAL on 01-24-2006 at 09:19 PM

quote:
DJKAL, congratulations, you just have formatted your startup drive....
no i havent!
for some reasin, after my last format my startupm drive was my D: drive and i had files missing {paint, games etc} and so all is ok cookie :) it was my spare drive and not my startup drive! :D
RE: RE: formatting software by prashker on 01-24-2006 at 09:20 PM

quote:
quote:
no i havent!
for some reasin, after my last format my startupm drive was my D: drive and i had files missing {paint, games etc} and so all is ok cookie :) it was my spare drive and not my startup drive! :D

yay :)

I thought if you did it would have been my fault :(
:$
RE: RE: formatting software by CookieRevised on 01-24-2006 at 09:21 PM

quote:
quote:
no i havent!

Then there is no reason what-so-ever why my instructions would not have worked at all (unless you did not follow them).

[Image: attachment.php?pid=594562]

Reason being that what you did does exactly the same as what I've told you to do.
RE: formatting software by DJKAL on 01-24-2006 at 09:54 PM

quote:
Originally posted by SonicSam
I thought if you did it would have been my fault
lol! thanks for your help :)

quote:
Then there is no reason what-so-ever why my instructions would not have worked at all (unless you did not follow them).
i definatly followed them! even doing it through run it told me i had files which were usig this drive, but asked me if i wanted to end them and so proceeded. which wa not an option when right clicking as  you said Cookie, thanks for all of your help :D
RE: formatting software by CookieRevised on 01-24-2006 at 10:20 PM

Then there were programs/files running/open... (remember that not everything which is running is listed in your taskbar or whatever ;))

RE: formatting software by DJKAL on 01-24-2006 at 10:43 PM

i know :)
awell, its too late now:P formatted it twice!