Shoutbox

Permission To Capture A Screenie - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+---- Forum: WLM Plus! General (/forumdisplay.php?fid=23)
+----- Thread: Permission To Capture A Screenie (/showthread.php?tid=55269)

Permission To Capture A Screenie by LipoToid on 01-26-2006 at 03:56 AM

Hello,

I am creating a new Instant Message application of which I would like to use a screen snap shot for a button on this particular application that would show ( MSG PLUS! ) as a button link for browser navigation. How can I get permission with the capture I've made for this purpose? The product application is FREE no additional embedded stuff either for capital gain, just simply a FREE application.

Below is the image I would like to use on a button for one of this applications choices.

IMG Button: [Image: MSGPLUS!.jpg]

Respectfully,
LipoToid

RE: Permission To Capture A Screenie by Menthix on 01-26-2006 at 12:08 PM

What will that button do when you click on it and why is it there? Using the Plus! logo is alright on websites if you use them to promote Messenger Plus. But I don't know about integrating it in your own app.

RE: Permission To Capture A Screenie by LipoToid on 01-26-2006 at 03:13 PM

Just a simple Yes/No for my request by someone that give the Approval or a subitute image in place of the one I've captured or even DisApproval.

Respectfully,
LipoToid

RE: Permission To Capture A Screenie by Idium on 01-26-2006 at 04:32 PM

the only person who can give a Yes/No is patchou, as he is the creator

RE: Permission To Capture A Screenie by LipoToid on 01-26-2006 at 04:45 PM

I had just posted an informal description of the application on mess.be and a request to use a snap shot image of mess.be for the same purpose that I am requesting here.

Instead of cluttering the server here please visit mess.be and goto the Forum Topic area:

Mess with MSN Messenger > Mess.be Site & Forum

There you'll see my request for image usage which is the same I am asking for here on MSG PLUS!.

Respectfully,
LipoToid

RE: Permission To Capture A Screenie by Kryptonate on 01-26-2006 at 04:51 PM

As Idium already told, the only person who can give you permission is Patchou. You can contact him on this matter at mplus@patchou.com :).

RE: RE: Permission To Capture A Screenie by LipoToid on 01-26-2006 at 05:02 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Kryptonate
As Idium already told, the only person who can give you permission is Patchou. You can contact him on this matter at mplus@patchou.com :).

Patchou had had given me an invitation to address any question from him before.

I simply didn't want to bother him because I fully understand how busy he is for the next varity of MSG PLUS! Live for support of WLM.

I thought that possibly there were others ( Admins ) that could give me approval, that's all.

Respectfully,
LipoToid

RE: Permission To Capture A Screenie by Menthix on 01-26-2006 at 05:06 PM

quote:
Originally posted by LipoToid
please visit mess.be and goto the Forum Topic area: Mess with MSN Messenger > Mess.be Site & Forum
In other words, visit: Permission To Capture A Screenie, Btn Capture Of Mess.be For A Btn On App.

RE: Permission To Capture A Screenie by Kryptonate on 01-26-2006 at 05:06 PM

quote:
Patchou had had given me an invitation to address any question from him before.

I simply didn't want to bother him because I fully understand how busy he is for the next varity of MSG PLUS! Live for support of WLM.

I thought that possibly there were others ( Admins ) that could give me approval, that's all.

Respectfully,
LipoToid
The admins just have control over the forum. They don't have anything to say over Messenger Plus! itself.
RE: RE: Permission To Capture A Screenie by LipoToid on 01-26-2006 at 05:17 PM

The admins just have control over the forum. They don't have anything to say over Messenger Plus! itself.

As I said, out of respect for his time I didn't want to bother the man. Surely, there must be those that assist Patchou in some of the decisions that don't require more than I've request.

Thanks MenthiX for the edit correction to the link !

Respectfully,
LipoToid

RE: Permission To Capture A Screenie by Kryptonate on 01-26-2006 at 05:21 PM

quote:

As I said, out of respect for his time I didn't want to bother the man. Surely, there must be those that assist Patchou in some of the decisions that don't require more than I've request.

Respectfully,
LipoToid
I know you did it out of respect for his time, but you wanted an answer and that is what we gave you. Sorry if it's not the one you hoped for.
RE: Permission To Capture A Screenie by LipoToid on 01-26-2006 at 10:23 PM

Well, since there appears to be only one way for the image to be approved, I've decided that maybe this is the interface that should be used instead.

Thanks to all for your information.

App Image The default will show last Topic:
1. [Image: Alpha2.jpg]

App Image Shows Forum Topics:
2. [Image: Alpha3.jpg]

App Image Shown as mouse hovers over the Triee:
3. [Image: Alpha4.jpg]

Respectfully,
LipoToid

RE: Permission To Capture A Screenie by LipoToid on 01-31-2006 at 03:50 AM

I've modified the interface for an easier navigation.

ADFT Image 1: [Image: Alpha21.jpg]

ADFT Image 2: [Image: Alpha22.jpg]

ADFT Image 3: [Image: Alpha23.jpg]

At this time I probably won't modify the U.I anymore.

I am targeting for a release of Feb 1, 2006 Wednesday for the 1st ADFT Beta
Release for public download.

To Messenger Plus! Admins: I will not be posting anymore images until the ADFT Beta is released. I'll place the Beta in its proper place with the forum section. Thanks to you guys for allowing me to publish the content so far and Patchou.

Respectfully,
LipoToid

RE: RE: Permission To Capture A Screenie by CookieRevised on 01-31-2006 at 10:08 AM

LipoToid, I understand that you wanted to use the button to directly link (or show) to the Plus! forums (PS: why didn't you say this directly in answer to MenthiX's post?, it could have prevented all the talking and replying :p). If the button is indeed used to directly link to the official Plus! Live website, then yes you can use it.

If the button links to the forums (or shows another dialog which has to do with the forums) than rather not use the Plus! Live logo (might be confussing), but the logo from the forum itself.

Since you've adapted the UI of the program to use a treeview instead of buttons (good switch IMO), you could now change the tree nodes (+ - etc) into icons. You can use the "favicon.ico" files from the forums you included in that treeview for that.

For the Messenger Plus! forum this icon is found here:
http://shoutbox.menthix.net/favicon.ico

For MSNFanatic forum:
http://www.msnfanatic.com/favicon.ico
(though it needs some resizing)

For Mess.be:
you need to find a mess.be icon, since it doesn't seem to have a favicon.ico file.
EDIT (thanks to Dempsey): the main site has one though: http://www.mess.be/favicon.ico
Maybe, after confirmation from Dwergs, you can use that one...

If used in this way, nobody (incl. Patchou) will have any problems with granting you permission to use the icons.

RE: Permission To Capture A Screenie by LipoToid on 01-31-2006 at 02:56 PM

Hi CookieRevised,

I did ask specifically when I 1st posted my request.

quote:
I am creating a new Instant Message application of which I would like to use a screen snap shot for a button on this particular application that would show ( MSG PLUS! ) as a button link for browser navigation. How can I get permission with the capture I've made for this purpose?
CookieRevised,
"favicon.ico" files, this is something that I had not considered.
But, absolutely! GREAT idea !  I am trying to get the ADFT application out the door for tomorrow. I don't know if I've got the time to go back and make the changes to the tree right now. But, as soon as I get the 1st Beta out I intend to change it to use the "favicon.ico" files and probably some other U.I. changes.

Daniel from ( msnfanatic.com ) asked me this particular question.
quote:
Does this work by scraping the page and manipulating the data?
Here's my response.
I use to use a well behaved Robot but I decide just to use a cached webpage from a hidden download within the ADFT app. I then parse the download webpage for identifying the content metrics for the recent Today's posting. The elements I extract are only :

1. Title
2. Date
3. Orginal Poster
4. Last Poster
5. A link into the Posting on the Forum of that specific Topic posting.

The idea is to show ( ONLY ) the most current Today's Forum Topic Listing and no other content listings of that or any of the msgplus.net Forums.

I absolutely, ( DO NOT ) modify any content on the ( msgplus.net ) website or its contents in any mode of operation.

Respectfully,
LipoToid

RE: RE: Permission To Capture A Screenie by CookieRevised on 01-31-2006 at 06:25 PM

quote:
Hi CookieRevised,

quote:
I am creating a new Instant Message application of which I would like to use a screen snap shot for a button on this particular application that would show ( MSG PLUS! ) as a button link for browser navigation. How can I get permission with the capture I've made for this purpose?

You didn't actually...

"browser navigation" doesn't say a thing about what the button will do. What "browser navigation"? And most importantly: to where?...

For all we knew, it could be a "navigation" to a webpage about cars.
And even if it was to a Messenger Plus! related site, it could well be an unofficial one. Even "browsing" to an official Messenger Plus! place can be not allowed and raise some questions. eg: clicking the button would open the forum shoutbox. Or clicking the button would open the forum. And as shown, this latter case (as it is now) is also not allowed with that image, as the image is not about the forum, but specifically about Plus! Live... etc... etc...

The question of what the button will do was also asked on the other forums where you posted about this, so at first, it wasn't clear at all...

;)
RE: Permission To Capture A Screenie by Dempsey on 01-31-2006 at 06:28 PM

quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
For Mess.be:
you need to find a mess.be icon, since it doesn't seem to have a favicon.ico file

http://www.mess.be/favicon.ico
RE: RE: Permission To Capture A Screenie by CookieRevised on 01-31-2006 at 06:32 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Dempsey
quote:
For Mess.be:
you need to find a mess.be icon, since it doesn't seem to have a favicon.ico file
http://www.mess.be/favicon.ico
Hmmm, thanks.... But it isn't the one of the forums (the forums don't have one). But I suppose if it had one, it would be the same...
RE: RE: RE: Permission To Capture A Screenie by LipoToid on 01-31-2006 at 07:06 PM

quote:
quote:
Hi CookieRevised,

quote:

You didn't actually...

"browser navigation" doesn't say a thing about what the button will do. What "browser navigation"? And most importantly: to where?...

For all we knew, it could be a "navigation" to a webpage about cars.
And even if it was to a Messenger Plus! related site, it could well be an unofficial one. Even "browsing" to an official Messenger Plus! place can be not allowed and raise some questions. eg: clicking the button would open the forum shoutbox. Or clicking the button would open the forum. And as shown, this latter case (as it is now) is also not allowed with that image, as the image is not about the forum, but specifically about Plus! Live... etc... etc...

The question of what the button will do was also asked on the other forums where you posted about this, so at first, it wasn't clear at all...

;)

Uhh, the last time I checked the Microsoft SDKs containning the ( idl ) and ( dispatch ) files indicate the information for the term 'Browser Navigation' is very clear.  'Browser Navigation' exercises the browser's URL for target requesting. Most websites have more than one dedicated page within their hosting content. Well, the button's intent was for navigation within the said website ( msgplus.net ). 

True, I didn't state the exact URL location set for the button as a target to the ( msgplus.net ) website hosting.

But, how many serious, legit developers on the Instant messaging Platform would place publicly a button for URL navigation that had the image of ( msg plus! ) to foward a person to the 2006 Super Bowl event?

I hope this clears the respect of my original question, cause I wasn't trying to create a README definition file in the orginal request.

Why not just consider the merits of this effort as an extension for the IM user as a whole?

Respectfully,
LipoToid

RE: Permission To Capture A Screenie by CookieRevised on 01-31-2006 at 07:21 PM

If it is as clear and as "logical" as you stated, the button must have opened a webpage to http://www.msgpluslive.net/, as that is what the logo means. Which clearly wasn't the intention. Thus, sorry, but you didn't specified it properly at first though (even by your own/MS' definition)...

quote:
Why not just consider the merits of this effort as an extension for the IM user as a whole?
Has got nothing to do with this. I never said it is a crappy product or anything like that in that context.

I replied because it was not stated exactly what the use will be of that button as it was not clearly stated (appart from some vague "browser navigation"; which can mean many things from opening a browser, showing a browsed picture, to simulating a browser button).

I pointed out (in a simple info sidenote to my main post) that you didn't specified enough what the button would do, so nobody (including the folks on mess.be where the same question was asked) could give you any direct advise or suggestion if it is/was allowed or not... ...nothing more.

Anyways, and for what it is worth: It is a good and nice idea to make a program for.
RE: RE: Permission To Capture A Screenie by LipoToid on 01-31-2006 at 07:35 PM

quote:
If it is as clear and "logical" as you stated, the button must have opened a webpage to http://www.msgpluslive.net/, as that is what the logo means. Which clearly this wasn't the intention. Thus, sorry, but you didn't specified it properly at first though...
quote:
Has got nothing to do with this. I never said it is a crappy product or anything like that in that context.

I replied because it was not stated exactly what the use will be of that button as it was not clearly stated (appart from some vague "it will open the browser").
I pointed out (in a simple info sidenote to my main post) that you didn't specified enough what the button would do, so nobody (including the folks on the other forum where the same question was asked) could give you any direct advise or suggestion if it is/was allowed or not... ...nothing more.

Anyways, and for what it is worth: It is a good and nice idea to make a program for.

As I said earlier, I should have made my statement request clearer from the initial beginning.  Sometimes as I develop I tend to make assumptions and they usually land me in a ditch somewhere.:P

Like the  word Paradox:
( A pair of two Doctors Discussing )

Overall you're correct CookieRevised.

Respectfully,
LipoToid

RE: Permission To Capture A Screenie by LipoToid on 02-03-2006 at 05:14 PM

Hello,

Could someone point me to the location where the messenger plus! ( .ico ) file is located. It will be used for this ADFT application within the Tree Cntrl for navigating the nodes within this app for Messenge Plus!.

Respectfully,
LipoToid

RE: Permission To Capture A Screenie by matty on 02-03-2006 at 08:14 PM

quote:
Hello,

Could someone point me to the location where the messenger plus! ( .ico ) file is located. It will be used for this ADFT application within the Tree Cntrl for navigating the nodes within this app for Messenge Plus!.

Respectfully,
LipoToid
quote:

code:
Private Declare Function URLDownloadToFile Lib "urlmon" Alias "URLDownloadToFileA" (ByVal pCaller As Long, ByVal szURL As String, ByVal szFileName As String, ByVal dwReserved As Long, ByVal lpfnCB As Long) As Long

Public Function DownloadFile(URL As String, LocalFilename As String) As Boolean
    Dim lngRetVal As Long
    lngRetVal = URLDownloadToFile(0, URL, LocalFilename, 0, 0)
    If lngRetVal = 0 Then DownloadFile = True
End Function

Private Sub Form_Load()

DownloadFile "http://shoutbox.menthix.net/favicon.ico", "c:\favicon.ico"

ImageList1.ListImages.Add 1, , LoadPicture("C:\favicon.ico")

TreeView1.ImageList = ImageList1

TreeView1.Nodes.Add , , , "Messenger Plus!", 1

Kill "C:\favicon.ico"

End Sub

RE: Permission To Capture A Screenie by LipoToid on 02-03-2006 at 10:01 PM

I stated earlier that I would not be posting anymore images in the Topic area for the ADFT application but I thought that maybe I should post this one last image for review by Messenger Plus! Admins to make any comments (+) or (-) about the usage of the favicon.ico for Messenger Plus! that is used in the Tree of the ADFT application.

Image: [Image: Alpha61.jpg]

Respectfully,
LipoToid

RE: Permission To Capture A Screenie by Chestah on 02-04-2006 at 12:48 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Matty

RE: Permission To Capture A Screenie

quote:Originally posted by LipoToid
    Hello,

Respectfully,
    LipoToid

quote:Originally posted by CookieRevised

code:
    Private Declare Function URLDownloadToFile Lib "urlmon" Alias "URLDownloadToFileA" (ByVal pCaller As Long, ByVal szURL As String, ByVal szFileName As String, ByVal dwReserved As Long, ByVal lpfnCB As Long) As Long

Public Function DownloadFile(URL As String, LocalFilename As String) As Boolean
        Dim lngRetVal As Long
        lngRetVal = URLDownloadToFile(0, URL, LocalFilename, 0, 0)
        If lngRetVal = 0 Then DownloadFile = True
    End Function

Private Sub Form_Load()

DownloadFile "http://shoutbox.menthix.net/favicon.ico", "c:\favicon.ico"

ImageList1.ListImages.Add 1, , LoadPicture("C:\favicon.ico")

TreeView1.ImageList = ImageList1

TreeView1.Nodes.Add , , , "Messenger Plus!", 1

Kill "C:\favicon.ico"

End Sub

You might want to add some error trapping in there as well just incase one of the servers you're accessing are down.. infact why not just download the .ico images and add them into the application resources?

Error Trapping code:

Try
<<insert code here that you would like to happen>>

Catch ex As Exception
<<insert code here that happens when an error occurs>>
<< ex.message = string of the error that occured>>

End Try

RE: Permission To Capture A Screenie by matty on 02-04-2006 at 01:00 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Chestah
You might want to add some error trapping in there as well just incase one of the servers you're accessing are down.. infact why not just download the .ico images and add them into the application resources?

Error Trapping code:

Try
<<insert code here that you would like to happen>>

Catch ex As Exception
<<insert code here that happens when an error occurs>>
<< ex.message = string of the error that occured>>

End Try
It was just an example. And this way if the icon changes it will get updated.
RE: Permission To Capture A Screenie by Chestah on 02-04-2006 at 01:43 AM

hehe sorry, yeah i didn't mean it in a correcting you sorta way :P.

RE: RE: Permission To Capture A Screenie by CookieRevised on 02-04-2006 at 01:53 AM

quote:
(...) Maybe I should post this one last image for review by Messenger Plus! Admins to make any comments (+) or (-) about the usage of the favicon.ico for Messenger Plus! that is used in the Tree of the ADFT application.

Image: http://www.LipoToid.com/ADFT/Alpha61.jpg
Make sure you select the correct subimage from the icon. The favicon of Messenger Plus! consists of 2 images: 16x16x16 colors and 16x16x256 colors. If you don't select the proper image format (256 colors in almost all cases), the first image (16 colors) is automatically selected, which looks not good.

If you don't know how, search the MSDN library and the icon/cursor API's. Or you can hardcode the icon inside your application (but pick the 256 color one), though it wouldn't be updated automatically in that case if the icon ever changes (would be rare anyways)...

PS: try not to double post
RE: Permission To Capture A Screenie by LipoToid on 02-04-2006 at 01:59 AM

Thanks guys,

The images for now are hard-coded. Later I will introduce a version that will allow one to make image selections for the Tree.
I want to get the parsing engine throughly working before anymore additional U.I. stuff.

Also, this is a C++ application and not a VB.

Respectfully,
LipoToid

RE: RE: Permission To Capture A Screenie by CookieRevised on 02-04-2006 at 02:25 AM

quote:
The images for now are hard-coded.
If the last screenshot you showed in this thread was from the hard coded icons, then please use the 256 color icon from Messenger Plus! favicon.ico.

quote:
Also, this is a C++ application and not a VB.
Nice, but why do you say this? If it was in responce to Matty's code: the code shown from Matty is indeed VB, but that doesn't matter, the important thing is that it showed a way to "auto-update" the icons using the downloadfile API, aka proof-of-concept code...

If it was in response to Chestah's suggestion for error trapping/checking on non existing icons on the web, then that also goes for C++...

If it was in response to my post: I didn't talked about VB at all, what I said goes for any language you program it in...

;)
RE: Permission To Capture A Screenie by surfichris on 02-04-2006 at 02:35 AM

Just one more bit of advice, you may want to ask those forums you're pulling content from for permission first. ;)

RE: Permission To Capture A Screenie by LipoToid on 02-04-2006 at 03:01 AM

Let me say this.  It is not my intent to take advantage of some ones website for content of anykind. The purpose of the ADFT application was to bring an extension to the IM user community a ( FREE ) tool that could benefit them by saving time.

I would strongly suggest you post your comment to GOOGLE, YAHOO, AOL, MSN and all search engines that I've not listed with your same comment.

At anytime that Patchou or anyone speaking on his behave says they would prefer me not to attach them to the ADFT application I will promptly abide their decision.

There is no hidden agenda here friend.

edit: Something I failed to mention.  The ADFT application doesn't harvest for achieving any or all content visually displayed.  It is a dynamic display only with no database content saved local or anywhere else. It does not contain a timer for automatics but it does require the user to activate by selection only. Simply said, It is a snapshot only of the last ( Today's ) posting of a Forum Topic or Sub Topic posters Title, Date, Original Poster, Last Poster and Link to the Topic for title content on that specific IM supported website to launch the user's default browser for examining the Topic Content.

I would strongly suggest also for anyone to examine the EULA for Microsoft's Instant Messenger 7.5+ or WLM, and tell me how many addons or application supports are out there which are truly legitimate and supported by the Vendor.  I believe you'd have your work cut off for you with that subject alone.

Respectfully,
LipoToid

RE: Permission To Capture A Screenie by LittleK on 02-04-2006 at 10:19 AM

what i don't understand is, why you want the logos in the first place. If you want to advertise, fair enough, but what you're doing sounds dodgy to me unfortunatly

RE: Permission To Capture A Screenie by CookieRevised on 02-05-2006 at 01:42 AM

quote:
Originally posted by LittleK
what i don't understand is, why you want the logos in the first place. If you want to advertise, fair enough, but what you're doing sounds dodgy to me unfortunatly
The logo's are simply used for identifying the forum in the treeview. There is nothing dodgy about it in any way. In fact, it is a nice and clear way of showing the info (see his screenshots of how the logo's are used).

If it is defined as "dodgy", than the sidetabs (custumized by TabServe for example) for forums and their logo in MSN Messenger are equally dodgy as it is exactly the same use.

Though, I don't really see the need for such application because it will be nothing more than what RSS feeds do since a long time (though not all forums might support them or not all users may know how to use RSS feeds).
RE: Permission To Capture A Screenie by LipoToid on 02-05-2006 at 03:38 PM

RSS, I found the one for MSG PLUS! NEWS, without Forum Topics.
Is there a MSG PLUS! RSS feed for the FORUMS TOPICS and
SubTopics for Today's posting?

I found another at: http://shoutbox.menthix.net/backend.php get=latestthreads
Not all Sub Topics from the Forums were shown from a
check of Today's postings from MSG PLUS! Forum Topics.

Respectfully,
LipoToid

Maybe my earlier statement request for the subject of RSS should
be asked following this comment.

CookieRevised, commented, he didn't understand the need for
this application ( ADFT ). He may have a point! It is good for
people like CookieRevised, to be an opened constructive critic.
This helps any developer's guidance to provide an addon or an
application for the IM community user's experience as a current
absent extension from the Instant Messenger.

The idea of the ADFT was at the time that I conceived the idea of
ADFT application was to provide a surrogate to the RSS postings
that didn't provide the following by questions below I am asking.

Q 1:
Is there on Messenger Plus!, a RSS source, that succinctly
provides the posted ( Today's ) only, Forum Topics and Sub-
Topics for a user's review?

Q 2:
I am not asking about a partial or focused RSS listing of only
particular Forum Topics with their Sub-Topics but one that is
( Complete ) toward all Forum Topics with their Sub-Topics?

Edit: Would anyone like to say ( YES ) or ( NO ) to the ( 2 ) questions ?

Respectfully,
LipoToid