Shoutbox

Missing Drives - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: Missing Drives (/showthread.php?tid=55285)

Missing Drives by Negro_Joe on 01-26-2006 at 07:11 PM

In my computer my DVD, and cd drives are missing, im not sure why, and when i go into device manager, they have excalmation marks by them, we havnt got a cd or anything to reinstall anything so im not sure what to do...:S

thanx for the help...:)

RE: Missing Drives by Stigmata on 01-26-2006 at 07:15 PM

double click

the choose rollback drivers or repair...

RE: Missing Drives by Voldemort on 01-26-2006 at 07:16 PM

right click them, and click update drivers....
hey... why do u have 4 removable drives?

RE: Missing Drives by Negro_Joe on 01-26-2006 at 07:22 PM

I have loads of slots on the front of my computer 3 USB, MMC/Sd Smartmedia/ XD, compact flash |/||, and memoery stick Pro not sure what they are, but im sure they will come in handy...:)

RE: Missing Drives by Voldemort on 01-26-2006 at 07:25 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Negro_Joe
3 USB, MMC/Sd Smartmedia/ XD, compact flash

shouldnt they appear just when something is inserted?
RE: Missing Drives by Negro_Joe on 01-26-2006 at 07:28 PM

umm nope...:)

anyway i tried roll back drivers and it didnt help...:S

Its said no diver files had been backed up for it...:S

RE: Missing Drives by Chris4 on 01-26-2006 at 07:30 PM

The driver for ASUS DVD-E616P3H can be found here: Link

The Firmware Update for TSSTcorp CD/DVDW TS-H552B can be found here: Link

If that doesn't work...
I don't know if Samsung TS-H552B is the same as TSSTcorp TS-H552B but here's an update driver/firmware for that: Link

Phew! That took alot of Googling!

RE: Missing Drives by Negro_Joe on 01-26-2006 at 07:33 PM

I cant seem to find the right driver on that wbesite, what should i select in the dropdown lists...:S

I searched through the ASUS website but i cant find the driver i need, could someone help, and with cd driver, i have to write the installation ot a cd for some reason, and i cant do that because my DVD drive doent work...:S

And thanx alot btw..:)

RE: Missing Drives by GroteSmurf on 01-26-2006 at 08:52 PM

I don't think you should have 3 generic SCSI CD-rom drives together with the ASUS and TSST drive *-). The cardreader you have on the front of your computer is probably a USB device; you can check that by clicking on the "+"-sign before "Universal Serial Bus controlers". There should be something like "USB mass storage devices". In fact, the card reader drives should be listed under "Disk drives" (see attached screenshot).

To be honoust, I don't really have a solution for your problem :-(. Did you try to disable and enable the ASUS and TSST devices? Maybe you can try to delete the generic SCSI DVD-ROM devices and restart your computer?

RE: Missing Drives by pollolibredegrasa on 01-26-2006 at 09:07 PM

I'm surprised this hasn't been suggested already, unless I missed something and everyone but me knows its defo a driver problem :P

But.... if you right-click the devices with the warning sign, click properties. What does it say under Device Status?

It should help get more specific details of the problem :)

RE: Missing Drives by GroteSmurf on 01-26-2006 at 09:18 PM

you're completely right, Fatfreechicken ... I'm so stupid :$

RE: Missing Drives by Negro_Joe on 01-26-2006 at 09:40 PM

This is what i get if i choose the properties...:)

RE: Missing Drives by pollolibredegrasa on 01-26-2006 at 09:44 PM

Hmm, this is the exact same error I got a while back. Iirc, I had to delete a registry key or something and reboot, but I'm not sure. I'll look into it...

RE: Missing Drives by Negro_Joe on 01-26-2006 at 09:45 PM

K thanx alot...:)

RE: Missing Drives by pollolibredegrasa on 01-26-2006 at 09:53 PM

quote:
Many third-party programs that control CD or DVD burning (as well as some player applications) install CD- or DVD-ROM filter device drivers into Windows. These filter drivers are meant to allow for low-level hooks into the hardware, to allow for functions such as packet writing (where a CD-R/W or DVD-/+RW can be written incrementally, like a hard disk).

These filter drivers sometimes have problems that can cause the CD or DVD drive to stop working correctly. The device entry for the CD or DVD drive in the Device Manager may show up with an error descriptor that reads "The device could not start." Additionally, there may be an error message that reads "One of the filter drivers for this device is invalid." The devices themselves do not show up in Explorer. Error codes for the device include code 31, code 32, code 19 or code 39, and sometimes the even more ominous warning "Your registry might be corrupted" appears.

Fixing the problem simply involves deleting the filter entries for the third-party device drivers. These entries can sometimes become damaged (which is what produces the "corrupt registry" warning).

Source: Link

This is how to remove the filters (if they exist) according to Microsoft.

This is how I sorted mine, so it could be worth a try :)