Shoutbox

What kind of CD's would you reccomend for this? - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: What kind of CD's would you reccomend for this? (/showthread.php?tid=55289)

What kind of CD's would you reccomend for this? by Dj.SytruS on 01-26-2006 at 09:43 PM

Transferring installers from one comp to another, is there any CD capable of handling such huge files?

RE: What kind of CD's would you reccomend for this? by [MR] on 01-26-2006 at 10:00 PM

any cd can hold any file.  how big is the installer that you want to put on the cd?  if it is over 700 mb i recomend burning it on a dvd.

RE: What kind of CD's would you reccomend for this? by Dj.SytruS on 01-26-2006 at 10:01 PM

quote:
Originally posted by [MR
]any cd can hold any file.  how big is the installer that you want to put on the cd?  if it is over 700 mb i recomend burning it on a dvd.
Its because i want to burn multiple installers.. some are huge..

*some writting removed cuz wdz laughed at me*
RE: What kind of CD's would you reccomend for this? by [MR] on 01-26-2006 at 10:06 PM

well dvd's can hold up to 4.7 gb im pretty sure,  another way you could do this is if you had a big enough flash drive that is big enough in MB or GB it could hold it.  or if you had an ipod that had a big enoguh amount of memory. 

RE: What kind of CD's would you reccomend for this? by Supersonicdarky on 01-26-2006 at 10:10 PM

or if its even bigger than 4.7 gb, maybe dozens of gbs, might as well just take the hd and plug it into the other pc :P

RE: What kind of CD's would you reccomend for this? by Dj.SytruS on 01-26-2006 at 10:12 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Supersonicdarky
or if its even bigger than 4.7 gb, maybe dozens of gbs, might as well just take the hd and plug it into the other pc :P
Lol.. no, its because i have umm... over 4000$dollars of software on my computer
* Dj.SytruS loves torrents
and i want to use them on my new comp im getting
RE: What kind of CD's would you reccomend for this? by [MR] on 01-26-2006 at 10:14 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Dj.SytruS
Lol.. no, its because i have umm... over 4000$dollars of software on my computer
* Dj.SytruS loves torrents
and i want to use them on my new comp im getting
he is saying that you could use the HDD with the software on it as a slave drive to the new computer you get...it wont boot from your old HDD but will with the new one. dont talk about warez either ;)
RE: What kind of CD's would you reccomend for this? by Vazza on 01-26-2006 at 10:14 PM

quote:
Originally posted by [MR
]well dvd's can hold up to 4.7 gb im pretty sure
If it's dual layer dvd and the drive is capable of burning them, then it's up 8.4 GB on one dvd
RE: What kind of CD's would you reccomend for this? by Ezra on 01-27-2006 at 12:09 AM

how about a dual side dual layer dvd ;)

15 GB on one disk :)

RE: What kind of CD's would you reccomend for this? by Voldemort on 01-27-2006 at 12:10 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Ezra

how about a dual side dual layer dvd (Smilie)

15 GB on one disk

those disks are cool!

RE: What kind of CD's would you reccomend for this? by tony on 01-27-2006 at 12:12 AM

how about a 300GB external hd?

RE: What kind of CD's would you reccomend for this? by -dt- on 01-27-2006 at 03:39 AM

or when you get your new computer get a crossover cable and plug it into the ethernet port of the other computer and transfer like that :-/....

RE: What kind of CD's would you reccomend for this? by Voldemort on 01-27-2006 at 03:44 AM

quote:
Originally posted by -dt-
r when you get your new computer get a crossover cable and plug it into the ethernet port of the other computer and transfer like that
which is tons of times easier

RE: What kind of CD's would you reccomend for this? by YottabyteWizard on 01-27-2006 at 07:25 AM

Does DVD actully are capable of holding 4.7 GBs?? I been only capable tu burn at MOST 4.450 GBs aprox. :@

RE: What kind of CD's would you reccomend for this? by Vazza on 01-27-2006 at 12:30 PM

I've been able to burn the full 4.7 GB but then, when I want to format the DVD+RW, it becomes corrupt  :blah: Why the hell do they call it a RW then?

RE: RE: What kind of CD's would you reccomend for this? by xJ + on 01-28-2006 at 12:06 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Vazza
I've been able to burn the full 4.7 GB but then, when I want to format the DVD+RW, it becomes corrupt  :blah: Why the hell do they call it a RW then?

you just have got to erase it several times till it's completely erased. I doubt it's corrupt though, it happens to me once when the whole disk couldn't function properly and the burn software can't burn datas into the dvd.

And as for the subject listed, I'd recommemd you to use a crossover cable as mentioned. It's safer and by using dvds,  some of the drive won't be able to read and transfer to the PC. It'll show that the particular file is corrupted when it's not. I've tried using two different drives before and one managed to transfer the data successfully while another one will show an error.
RE: What kind of CD's would you reccomend for this? by markee on 01-28-2006 at 02:33 AM

The crossover cable is the easiest way to do it but if you don't want to buy the extra cable (which is only a couple of dollars might I add) then just put the old HDD into the new computer as a slave and copy the files over.  Both ways are a lot safer than using a CD or DVD.