Shoutbox

Icons in User account disappeared? - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: Icons in User account disappeared? (/showthread.php?tid=55329)

Icons in User account disappeared? by xJ + on 01-28-2006 at 02:39 PM

Ok.. This's strange. Very strange indeed. My icons in the user account disappeared out of the blue. No idea of where to get it back whatsoever. Any ideas ?
[Image: Error01.jpg]

RE: Icons in User account disappeared? by user35870 on 01-28-2006 at 04:28 PM

This happend to me a while back on XP.

Download Tweak Ui from: http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/powe...s/xppowertoys.mspx  and try rebuilding the icons.

RE: Icons in User account disappeared? by zach on 01-28-2006 at 11:45 PM

Mine is like this too. I have Tweak Ui, but that doesn't work.

RE: Icons in User account disappeared? by xJ + on 01-29-2006 at 01:01 AM

besides Tweak Ui, any more solutions to it?

RE: Icons in User account disappeared? by CookieRevised on 01-29-2006 at 01:34 AM

I have this too (Dutch Windows XP, all latest updates)...

I never go to that page actually, so I don't know when it happened, I just noticed it with checking it out.

My hunch is that this is due some update of Windows XP...

The user account configuration page is loaded when you execute nusrmgr.cpl. Looking at that file, which is actually an exe file and which actually shows a basic HTML page defined in the resources, the resource of the icon in question helpdoc.ico seems to be correct and a valid icon though.

Even when I export the whole webpage from the resources, the icon isn't shown.. So, I don't have a clue what's going on, though I'm also very interested for more info on this.

RE: Icons in User account disappeared? by nightblade06 on 02-08-2006 at 04:06 PM

Files on windows xp go missing all the time. The file you need is in application data somewhere. But if its changed in user accounts its probally gone forever so a better idea would be to search the internet for the picture you used to have.

RE: Icons in User account disappeared? by CookieRevised on 02-08-2006 at 05:50 PM

quote:
Originally posted by nightblade06
Files on windows xp go missing all the time. The file you need is in application data somewhere. But if its changed in user accounts its probally gone forever so a better idea would be to search the internet for the picture you used to have.
This is not the cause, nor the solution to the problem.

Files do not go missing on xp all the time. Moreover, it is even not a file which is gone missing.
RE: Icons in User account disappeared? by nightblade06 on 02-15-2006 at 06:18 PM

ok then if they are not stored in files and if windows does not use a image then why do they look like the image that is displayed when a file can not be found more over you would be suprised what files can go missing off windows xp...

RE: Icons in User account disappeared? by Weyzza on 02-15-2006 at 08:17 PM

quote:
Originally posted by nightblade06
ok then if they are not stored in files and if windows does not use a image then why do they look like the image that is displayed when a file can not be found more over you would be suprised what files can go missing off windows xp...
The file might not be missing.

It could be just some registry keys changed or deleted accidentally, for example typing the wrong URL fro your image uploaded somewhere.
The file does still exist, but the "address" is wrong.

If all files can go missing on Windows XP, isn't it dangerous?
Plus, Windows XP is not worth to be released at all.
I know some of you might say, "Hell, yeah," but STFU now :dodgy:

The point is nobody is going to use XP at all.
RE: Icons in User account disappeared? by Lt.Col.DraGon on 02-15-2006 at 08:26 PM

quote:
Originally posted by thekid
If all files can go missing on Windows XP, isn't it dangerous?
Plus, Windows XP is not worth to be released at all.
I know some of you might say, "Hell, yeah," but STFU now :dodgy:

The point is nobody is going to use XP at all.

That will happen when Vista comes out, lol

RE: Icons in User account disappeared? by xJ + on 02-17-2006 at 09:04 AM

quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
I have this too (Dutch Windows XP, all latest updates)...

I never go to that page actually, so I don't know when it happened, I just noticed it with checking it out.

My hunch is that this is due some update of Windows XP...

The user account configuration page is loaded when you execute nusrmgr.cpl. Looking at that file, which is actually an exe file and which actually shows a basic HTML page defined in the resources, the resource of the icon in question helpdoc.ico seems to be correct and a valid icon though.

Even when I export the whole webpage from the resources, the icon isn't shown.. So, I don't have a clue what's going on, though I'm also very interested for more info on this.

After severals more updates from Microsoft, I think, the icons show up, checked it after the either feb or jan updates installed.
But still, I, too, am interested in the disappearance of the icons.
RE: Icons in User account disappeared? by CookieRevised on 02-17-2006 at 09:00 PM

I have installed all the latest updates (the updates released last/this week) and they still are not there though...

RE: Icons in User account disappeared? by CookieRevised on 06-10-2006 at 11:11 PM

Finally!!!!!

Update with cause and solution:

The reason why the icons dissapeared is because the 'link' to those ico associations got corrupt (why? dunno exactly... but most likely indeed some update or some program which changed some ico associations).

To fix this 'link' again all you need todo is calling the install procedure of mshtml.dll:

Start > Run > regsvr32 /i mshtml.dll

PS: mshtml.dll is part of Internet Explorer (also used/called by Messenger btw) which is responsible for rendering HTML pages and it also includes some much used icons.